Thread: Rush
View Single Post

Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I am a huge Rush fan - and have been for years. I may be a bit more partial to their earlier stuff but it's all excellent. Peart is not only a better than excellent drummer he writes the lyrics - I will choose free will - oh yeah. It's criminal and must be political that they are not in the Rock Hall of Fame.

On the subject of Rush fans though - hmm..... Even going to a concert is an odd experience for a veteran rocker like me. The audience is quiet for the most part and they spend a lot of time in their seats. I can understand quiet appreciation but many of their songs are rockers and I feel odd when I'm the only one up and rocking and singing along.

It's a fact though that certain bands attract different types of people. I am a bigger Bruce fan than Bon Jovi fan - but I am not happy on the Bruce boards at all. I have always been comfortable here but I don't go near the Backstage fanclub board even though I'm a member.

As with Bruce, David, I have a lot of Rush bootlegs (not as many as Bruce by far but quite a few). Did you get their Rush in Rio concert DVD? It's awesome. I also have a 3 DVD audience bootleg from the R30 tour from Radio City Music Hall. It's probably one of the best filmed audience bootlegs out there. If there is something you are looking for - you need only to ask
Good Morning! I do find it a joke they aren't in the Hall of Fame already. They are all very proficient at what they do. For Metallica to get in before they did...when the influence is extremely obvious..just upside down. I do believe it will happen though.

No, I do not have Rush in Rio yet, I'm waiting until I'm much more familiar with the material so it will be a more rewarding experience. I did DVR a shortened broadcast of it off VH1 Classic, which is how I know I want to wait. The audience is the star in that one. Why can't U.S. audiences be like that?? I suppose I might as well pick it up and store it so it's ready to go when I'm ready. I already picked up R30 and Rush Replay x3.

I had a big ole retarded argument with a Rush fan on one of the boards when I posted about it being odd that R30 isn't on Blu Ray, but how great it is that it's in HD on Palladia. They replied with "it's just an upconvert." Now you know how I am here when someone attempts to establish wrong information as fact about Bon Jovi...... So I jumped on it.

What I couldn't understand is no one over there is barely talking about the fact it's airing in HD. If Bon Jovi had something similar...say they release the MSG show on DVD only, but release an HD edit to Palladia or any other HD network...we're gonna be all over that one..excited and discussing the hell out of it. The airing would be an event for us. These Rush people were more like they were complaining about Blu Ray being too expensive or that they don't see any difference between HD/upconvert. It's all the same to them. And these are Rush fans??? A band that maxmizes technology in their music?? Only one established boards memeber stepped up to the plate to correct the poster over their idea that it's just an upconvert.

It may be that I spoke too soon, but it's too early to say. There seems to be two boards most frequented..similar to Bon Jovi. We all know the difference in this case....I can imagine it's not too different with Rush boards. "Counterparts" seems to be frequented by non air-headed fans. But still...not too much has been mentioned about R30 in HD. They otherwise seem to have a mind for knowledgable discussion.

I did see a bit of that Radio City show on YouTube. I think I AM interested! Thank you! I've not gotten quite to that point yet. I think we start hungering for bootlegs more as we become aware of what is NOT available from a band's past that really should be. A new Bon Jovi fan will sooner or later discover how such important hallmarks in their history like the Jersey Syndicate tour are completely absent from their Videography..so bootlegs are the only way to fill that void. I'm sure it's the same with Rush. I mean...where the hell is a live version of "The Camera Eye" ? At least the band is way ahead of Bon Jovi on documenting much of their live history.

Sometimes I think I'm gonna overdose on them with too much too soon. They aren't going to replace anyone, that's for sure. If anything, my attention being elsewhere will make it that much sweeter when I go back and listen to Bon Jovi. It's difficult to hold Rush lyrics as close to the heart (no pun intended) as you can with Bon Jovi. I'm going ape shit over Red Sector A...the keyboards are lodged in my braid playing on a loop...but I can't exactly sing along with a song about the holocaust, as much as I do enjoy singing along anyway, the same way as with Bon Jovi. One is more external..about the world outside..the other is more personal and emotional.

What shows have you been to?