Thread: Rush
View Single Post

Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery89 View Post
Yes, Rush fan right here and a HUGE Neil Peart fan, what a ****ing amazing drummer, and I think Alex Lifeson is a great guitarist. I myself being a drummer look up to Neil, he's been a big inspiration to me. At first I only liked the hits from them, but then I caught the R30 Ann. and Rock in Rio DVD's not too long ago and I got turned on to more songs.
Neil is a big part of what pulled me into it. He's fascinating in more than one way. For one, as Kathleen pointed out, Neil is the lyricist. It's a different experience to know that lyrics come from the percussionist, with the music by the bassist and guitarist rather than the lyrics mostly from the singer. It does offer up a distinctive experience.

Then there is his drumming. It's almost difficult to slap the phrase "drum solo" on what he does only because so many have made it an occasion to run off to rest room. You'll be missing out on a man who can practically make his drums sing. I've also been taking a lot of interest in drumming lately..gaining a better understanding of the playing that I didn't before. Neil is pretty intimidating!

Pretty much everything I've heard on the studio album and live has something that gets my interest. The catalog is just so rich.

In an amendment to my acquired Rush discography.....Caress of Steel joined with Power Windows and Hold Your Fire round out the complete first 12 studio albums. I went to Best buy to pick up the Retrospectives 3 CD/DVD set, saw those albums on the shelf for 4.99 and grabbed em up......along with Rush In Rio...thanks Kathleen for getting it in my head.

Boy it would suck if something turned me off to them now.