View Single Post

Old 12-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman

I've had a good few listens through, now. First impressions were good. It's very solid production, which I think was lacking from Permission to Land. I was a little disappointed with the lack of 'party' songs, the really meaningless, but incredibly catchy. You know, the ‘I Believe in a Thing Called Love ‘,’ Get You Hands off My Woman type, which set The Darkness apart. However, I persisted. It sounds as if they've acknowledged that they’ve made their impression (with PML) and now it's time to have fun. They've experimented with different things this time - instruments, effects, basic song formula. It sounds fresh, and definitely pleases the ear when compared to the shite in the charts at the moment. Certainly, there has been a progression from the pantomime songs from PML. Although I’ve not looked too closely at the lyrics, there’s still that comedy and tongue in cheek, just to a lesser extent. I don't think I'll be the only one to say that the guitar work on this album is fabulous, everything from the solos to the beefy riffs (Is It Just Me?). It is rock and roll.

I’ve come to the conclusion that The Darkness still rock and without doubt these songs are going to sound great live.