View Single Post

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Simon, say for example we compare BA (definitely pop rock) to our discussion about Crush on the other thread. Put the two together and Crush (a definite pop rock record), for all its faults, completely blows BA's recent efforts out of the water.
Of course, I would never argue with that. "Crush" is one of my favourite albums of all time actually, if you have read my posts in the other thread. BA comes nowhere near that. I'm not the biggest BA fan, really, but when I'm a phase he does the trick for me. And then I just love "18". I never said it was as good as BJ. I argued more within the BA context itself.

Another reason why I might like "18", is because it fits a phase of really good, mature music, which was released in 1995/96. Most people here would count TD as BJs most mature album, and it totally fitted its time. Compare it to albums that other artists released in those two years. Like the Scorpions and their "Pure Instinct". It doesn't fit the rest of their catalogue, it has many ballads, acoustic guitars and different songwriting etc., an overall melancholy feel, in a similar way that TD did for BJ. Or take Joan Osborne's "Relish". Albums with a somehow similar spirit, at least in the context of the artists catalogues. Bryan Adams' "18" is somehow in that manner too.