View Single Post

Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 AM
Dry County

Hey guys ... just came back from Twickenham, here's a short review from a very casual fan. Now keep in mind ... I don't love U2. There are some songs I like. I'm not familiar with most of their songs, and this was my third concert. Last one was on the 360 tour.

.Noel was BRILLIANT. His voice doesn't get old, it's incredible. I'm a huge Oasis diehard so I loved his opening set.
.Up until With or Without You, the show was stellar. The energy of the crowd was immense, and as Bono said it, this could have been an epic night. Too bad it went downhill from there.
.From WOWY onwards, the show lost a lot of momentum and it dragged. Of course the casual fans are not familiar with side 2 of The Joshua Tree, but I felt as if the band was going through their motions during most of the songs. It felt uninspired, and when they finished, they went into an encore break with just 1 hour and twenty minutes of showtime. It was very weird.
.The encore opener was terrible. Miss Sarajevo is one of the few songs from U2 that I listen to regularly, and I remember being impressed by Bono's vocals on it on the 360 tour, but the playback part it's a joke. If he can't sing it anymore, don't play it. No one cared for the song and for the political message on the big screen. Don't get me wrong, but I don't think a rock and roll concert is the place to preach about wars, poverty and stuff. I donate a lot of money, clothes , and food for charity every year, but when I'm at a rock concert that's not what I want to be hearing or reading about. The song only sucked more energy from the crowd.
.The combo Beautiful Day/Elevation/Vertigo must be similar to It's my lige,Bad Name, etc... Well known songs that regained some of the energy back, but that was it.
.Ultraviolet was horrible. Another song that I listen to a lot, but Bono butchered it.
.They closed with a rushed and very anticlimactic performance of One. Bono said a few thank you's and left the stage. Everyone was sure there was another encore coming. When the house lights came on, a lot of people booed. It was the most anticlimactic ending of a show that I've ever seen.
.I thought that Bono's vocals were weak. He struggled a lot and dodged a lot of notes, butchering songs like Ultraviolet for example.
.Too many samples and back tracks. There are songs that seemed like karaoke.

I liked my other two shows. That's the reason why I came back for a third one. But apart from the first 30 minutes or so, this one unfortunately sucked ...

Last edited by efpg0708; 07-10-2017 at 02:34 AM..