Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Metallica rocks Earls Court!!

Other Bands

Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Jovi Geek

Default Metallica rocks Earls Court!!

My last rock show of the year - but what a way to finish!

Show started with Godsmack. They were pretty awful, just a noise most of the time - although did this cool drumming bit, where the lead singer had a drum set facing the original drummer & they basically had a drumming duel for about 10 mins which was pretty good.

Metallica came on after the Ecstacy of Gold intro. Unfortunately standing were sold out, so we had to sit. This Chinese guy in our line of sight decided to stand on his chair. Everyone told him to get down, but he was arguing the toss saying we should all stand on our chairs. Not realising that then we'd all be in the same boat as if we were on the floor but with a lot of broken chairs. Anyhow he came down.

Metallica came bursting out of the curtains opening with Blackened.
Then came Creeping death - at this point the chinese guy decided to stand on his chair again. I threw some chewing gum at him & he turned round & punched the guy next to him. He didn't stand on his chair after that thank god!!

Anyhow - Blackened & Creeping death rocked. Despite being 'seated' we were all standing & the ppl around me were really up for it - dancing, head banging & singing along.

After Creeping Death, one from the first album - Seek & Destroy. Songs off the first album are among the highlights live, - Thats songs recorded over 20 years ago - & they're not afraid to throw them into the setlist.

Then - 1 of the real highlights of the evening - Fade to Black!! We got Sanitarium in Reading, and were hoping for this. The solo at the end - wow!!

This followed by another example of Metallica not being afraid to play their back catalogue. We were surprised to hear 'The thing that should not be' - performed with as much skill & enthusiasm as any time in the past - AT this point, the concert was exceeding even my expectations.

I guess they had to play some stuff off the new album, and they played frantic which gave me time for a breather.

Not for long though - For whom the bell tolls - f***** fantastic!!

Then another new one (Dirty Window)

Then they hit us hard: Sad but True, One (fantastic performance - pyro was ultra loud, sound was ultra amazing), then another huge surprise - Damage Inc (off MoP).... heck, this sounded good live - a great way to end the main show.

The first encore started with Harvestor of Sorrow (dedicated to the fans, as at reading) - then nothing else matters (lighters on display) another song that really shines live.

& then - my personal favourite Met song, Master of Puppets - que hysteria from everyone around me - amazing!!

They had to come back for a second encore & did - St Anger Followed by the peoples champion of songs: Enter Sandman. Everyone was singing along to this.

After this had finished, many ppl thought wow - what a show, they must be finished & headed for the exits. After about 5 mins of throwing stuff into the crowd, taking applause etc.... They decided to play on: James: "While we're here & everything".

Am I Evil - followed by probably the main highlight of the evening for me - Hit the Lights. Another song off the first album, and we went wild for this one.

In summary - they played for around 2 hours & 25 mins. Sound was a bit quiet at first, but got sorted out. Stage wasn't as impressive as the iron maiden one, although it did have the raised platform at the back for the band members to make themselves visible to everyone. Pyro was great, and the light show excellent.

Band were enthusiastic, James had the crowd in his hand & the songs & setlist rocked!!

A great way to end a great year of gigging!!

Roll on leg 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Setlist:

Posted: 12/19/03 11:16 pm Post subject: LONDON EARLS COURT - SETLIST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackened
Creeping Death
Seek and Destroy
Fade To Black
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
For whom the Bell Tolls
Dirty Window
Sad But True
One
Damage Inc.
-----------
Harvester Of Sorrow
Nothing Else Matters
Master Of Puppets
-----------
St. Anger
Enter Sandman
-----------
Am I Evil
Hit The Lights

New Jersey is not just a state
- Its a religion!!

Old 12-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Destination any Forum

sounds greta! i think my cousin went to that one, not sure...just wondered were the song length round 6-9 mins long? cos im surpised that amount of songs lasted that long....dunno guess im just comparing it to Bj setlists and their average stage times.

There are people dancing on what
they perceive to be our grave
Old 12-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
sounds greta! i think my cousin went to that one, not sure...just wondered were the song length round 6-9 mins long? cos im surpised that amount of songs lasted that long....dunno guess im just comparing it to Bj setlists and their average stage times.
Songs like One (10 mins), Master of Puppets (12 mins), Fade to Black (9 mins). Only a handful of songs were less than 5 mins

New Jersey is not just a state
- Its a religion!!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:57 PM
I Wanna Rock
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to {_Warrior_}

No Unforgiven ?
Old 12-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Blaze of Posting

Send a message via ICQ to JOEYKID Send a message via MSN to JOEYKID

sounds like a great night
An episode to file under "never try again"
I would I were the same...
Old 12-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Jovi Obsession

Great review and glad it was a good show!

Wembley Stadium 2000
Glasgow, Dublin, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Cardiff 2001
Glasgow, Dublin, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Hyde Park 2003
Dublin, Munich, Manchester, Southampton, Hull 2006
The o2 London 2007
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Manchester, London 2008
The o2 London - 8 nights, 2010
Dublin, Hyde Park 2011
Manchester, Hyde Park, IOW 2013
Old 12-21-2003, 03:48 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default Re: Metallica rocks Earls Court!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
My last rock show of the year - but what a way to finish!

Show started with Godsmack. They were pretty awful, just a noise most of the time - although did this cool drumming bit, where the lead singer had a drum set facing the original drummer & they basically had a drumming duel for about 10 mins which was pretty good.

Metallica came on after the Ecstacy of Gold intro. Unfortunately standing were sold out, so we had to sit. This Chinese guy in our line of sight decided to stand on his chair. Everyone told him to get down, but he was arguing the toss saying we should all stand on our chairs. Not realising that then we'd all be in the same boat as if we were on the floor but with a lot of broken chairs. Anyhow he came down.

Metallica came bursting out of the curtains opening with Blackened.
Then came Creeping death - at this point the chinese guy decided to stand on his chair again. I threw some chewing gum at him & he turned round & punched the guy next to him. He didn't stand on his chair after that thank god!!

Anyhow - Blackened & Creeping death rocked. Despite being 'seated' we were all standing & the ppl around me were really up for it - dancing, head banging & singing along.

After Creeping Death, one from the first album - Seek & Destroy. Songs off the first album are among the highlights live, - Thats songs recorded over 20 years ago - & they're not afraid to throw them into the setlist.

Then - 1 of the real highlights of the evening - Fade to Black!! We got Sanitarium in Reading, and were hoping for this. The solo at the end - wow!!

This followed by another example of Metallica not being afraid to play their back catalogue. We were surprised to hear 'The thing that should not be' - performed with as much skill & enthusiasm as any time in the past - AT this point, the concert was exceeding even my expectations.

I guess they had to play some stuff off the new album, and they played frantic which gave me time for a breather.

Not for long though - For whom the bell tolls - f***** fantastic!!

Then another new one (Dirty Window)

Then they hit us hard: Sad but True, One (fantastic performance - pyro was ultra loud, sound was ultra amazing), then another huge surprise - Damage Inc (off MoP).... heck, this sounded good live - a great way to end the main show.

The first encore started with Harvestor of Sorrow (dedicated to the fans, as at reading) - then nothing else matters (lighters on display) another song that really shines live.

& then - my personal favourite Met song, Master of Puppets - que hysteria from everyone around me - amazing!!

They had to come back for a second encore & did - St Anger Followed by the peoples champion of songs: Enter Sandman. Everyone was singing along to this.

After this had finished, many ppl thought wow - what a show, they must be finished & headed for the exits. After about 5 mins of throwing stuff into the crowd, taking applause etc.... They decided to play on: James: "While we're here & everything".

Am I Evil - followed by probably the main highlight of the evening for me - Hit the Lights. Another song off the first album, and we went wild for this one.

In summary - they played for around 2 hours & 25 mins. Sound was a bit quiet at first, but got sorted out. Stage wasn't as impressive as the iron maiden one, although it did have the raised platform at the back for the band members to make themselves visible to everyone. Pyro was great, and the light show excellent.

Band were enthusiastic, James had the crowd in his hand & the songs & setlist rocked!!

A great way to end a great year of gigging!!

Roll on leg 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Setlist:

Posted: 12/19/03 11:16 pm Post subject: LONDON EARLS COURT - SETLIST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackened
Creeping Death
Seek and Destroy
Fade To Black
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
For whom the Bell Tolls
Dirty Window
Sad But True
One
Damage Inc.
-----------
Harvester Of Sorrow
Nothing Else Matters
Master Of Puppets
-----------
St. Anger
Enter Sandman
-----------
Am I Evil
Hit The Lights
Nice to know we got some more Metallica fans... Feel good, you got Am I Evil... They haven't played it too often anymore! I am going to see them in April in OKC! I am stoked! Thanks Mike! They didn't play Unnamed Feeling.. I was surprised considering that is the new single!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????
Old 12-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Keep the Faith

Send a message via MSN to axlash Send a message via Yahoo to axlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne
Great review and glad it was a good show!
yeahh it"s good that we have more metallica fans
Old 12-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Something for the Posts

Send a message via MSN to tawtami Send a message via Yahoo to tawtami

i went on the friday the setlist was simliar but not identical.

they were quiet then too...

we missed godsmack from travelling down there... good job apoparently tho...

and anyone thinking of going to download next year- on friday they confirmed they were playing (even tho the festival hasnt officially been confirmed yet)

the line up so far (rumour at the moment.)
solid rumour- metallica ac/dc
less solid - KISS
rumour - G n R

plus lots of others....

if thats the line up im there...

i reckon it will be ac/dc and metallica, possibly Kiss, and possibly maiden again.... we'll see i guess...
will keep posted

NEW ALBUM COMING OUT SOON... PM for info
Old 12-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Rocket Queen
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Mousebounce

Great review Mike!!

I hope GNR play somewhere, anywhere!!!