Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2 Very Special Bon Jovi Projects (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68524)

Kathleen 07-14-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1180164)
SONOFABITCH. I got my Deluxe copy and Disc 2, the one with all the demos, is cracked and won't play so now I have to return the thing and wait for a replacement copy. It's a good thing I've heard all these songs ages ago or I'd be pretty pissed off right about now.

Oh Becky - so aggravating :( But David is right - download Spotify and simplify your life.

Becky 07-14-2014 07:55 PM

Is Spotify one of those things that says it's free but then tries to get you to update to a paid subscription every time you log on after the initial free pass?

Iceman 07-14-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1180171)
Is Spotify one of those things that says it's free but then tries to get you to update to a paid subscription every time you log on after the initial free pass?

No. There's no "initial free pass", it's free with ads or you pay for it. If you listen to music for free, it will play ads every now and then, much like a radio channel would. If you pay the 10$ (I guess) a month, you get a better sound quality, no ads and a good conscience, since paid subscriptions pay more to the artists per stream.

I started paying for Spotify years ago and haven't looked back.

Ice

Bleeding Purist 07-15-2014 01:25 AM

To elaborate on what Ice said, paying for it gives you complete control over it. That means you can play the exact song or album that you wish in the order you wish.

Really, any true music lover should have and pay for Spotify or a similar service. It's a fantastic way to explore any band or artist in depth and be unlimited. I still buy the CDs if I really love the album.

DestinationJovi 07-15-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1180075)
Some good points. Though a lot of recording is done in LA at Henson studios with Shanks so it's less about saving money in Jersey. Working with Shanks was a game changer due to how fast the song are produced, less need for demo time and I assume they're saving money not having David, Tico and Hugh there from day one but I don't know how their payroll work.

I couldn't compare Blaze to today only because of how long ago it was, studio rates are way different.

This is just what I was going to say about Shanks and recording in LA. I remember reading somewhere that Shanks doesn't demo, although I do think I have a couple demos from HAND? Maybe they're just b-sides, I can't remember. In any event, with Shanks I get that "turn and burn" feeling. And I hate that they don't record each other's parts in the presence of the rest of the band. Weren't they all in the studio together recording on earlier albums? At least Cush for sure, because they filmed it for BJTV. I just feel like their recent style of production has been piecemeal. It's not organic, and I think that shows in the final product. Jon should leave John Shanks to work with Miley Cyrus and Take That, a work with a new producer if they ever record another album again.

Grantos1 07-15-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1180164)
SONOFABITCH. I got my Deluxe copy and Disc 2, the one with all the demos, is cracked and won't play so now I have to return the thing and wait for a replacement copy. It's a good thing I've heard all these songs ages ago or I'd be pretty pissed off right about now.

Just tried disc 2 in my car and it won't play for some reason. Only ever had the problem with really old CD-rs.

Captain_jovi 07-15-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1180179)
This is just what I was going to say about Shanks and recording in LA. I remember reading somewhere that Shanks doesn't demo, although I do think I have a couple demos from HAND? Maybe they're just b-sides, I can't remember. In any event, with Shanks I get that "turn and burn" feeling. And I hate that they don't record each other's parts in the presence of the rest of the band. Weren't they all in the studio together recording on earlier albums? At least Cush for sure, because they filmed it for BJTV. I just feel like their recent style of production has been piecemeal. It's not organic, and I think that shows in the final product. Jon should leave John Shanks to work with Miley Cyrus and Take That, a work with a new producer if they ever record another album again.

Good points. It was up until TLFR that it was the 5 of them there at once but Shanks said in an interview Born to Follow was recorded as a band live off the floor so who knows.

rolo_tomachi 07-15-2014 09:21 PM

Know something of the next project? box set?? BluRay Live from last tour??? DVD of An evening with Bon Jovi????

Walleris 07-15-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1180185)
Good points. It was up until TLFR that it was the 5 of them there at once but Shanks said in an interview Born to Follow was recorded as a band live off the floor so who knows.

It was!

Obviously, they had many takes and multiple guitar and vocal layers were added later, but still, they got together for this.

Jon seems fine singing the song in the original key here, it's a shame he felt the need to down tune it for live performance. Old and difficult songs yes, I understand, but this is a chicken move if you ask me.

Captain_jovi 07-15-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1180192)
It was!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TPBgNnWXk0

Obviously, they had many takes and multiple guitar and vocal layers were added later, but still, they got together for this.

Jon seems fine singing the song in the original key here, it's a shame he felt the need to down tune it for live performance. Old and difficult songs yes, I understand, but this is a chicken move if you ask me.

But this isn't them recording the song, it's the filming of the music video (still have no idea why they recorded two version of it and only released one) but this isn't them in the studio.