Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Captain_jovi 11-16-2013 05:46 PM

You can all talk till your blue in the face about how much Undivided rocked but it did NOT sound like that on the Bounce tour. My god it was practically a ballad by how much they slowed down the tempo.

Supersonic 11-16-2013 06:28 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1156458)
I saw them a bunch of times on the Bounce Tour, and I would have taken those sets over the last couple of tours. Get rid of Right Side... or Joey and you've got solid shows. Jon also recognized what the best songs on the album were and played them. That stopped after the Bounce Tour.

Like I said, in hindsight this looks spectacular for nowadays standard, but back then the setlists for the Bounce tour were heavily criticized, a lot more than the ones the band plays now. Wild In The Streets, Runaway, Right Side Of Wrong/Joey, Misunderstood, Blaze Of Glory, Born To Be My Baby and the snippet of Shout were all songs many fans wanted to see exchanged for something else. Now they've been replaced by other, more mediocre songs, everyone wants to have them back in the set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1156459)
They sounded solid, and yes, Jon had problems at some legs, but overall, the tour was better than the actual.

Why? Everyone keeps saying Jon sounds like ass now, but apart from the first leg in North America and a few shows in Europe and Japan, Jon sounded terrible on that tour as well. It became the turning point in his vocals, got worse during the HAND tour and then changed completely when he started to sing differently, which has resulted into what we have now. I've got fond memories of the Bounce tour and have seen a few shows of it, but Hyde Park 2003 was a lot worse to what I saw in Milan on this tours. And both are considered the best shows of both tours. There was absolutely no show on the Bounce tour that came close to what Jon delivered in Cologne, Milan, Berne or even Dublin.

Quote:

What I'm trying to say Is that even Bounce tour had great moments to remember. I was in Madrid 2003, was not a great show, Jon's voice had broken (the songs of set list save the night). But there was another 82 shows, and in some legs, shone brightly.

And this tour has great shows to remember as well. Just a handful, really, but so did the Bounce tour. There weren't that many spectacular shows on the Bounce tour, and even during the half acoustic shows Jon started to throw hissy fits. What looks good on paper back then wasn't all that really when you witnessed it in person.

Quote:

Check to see back in the song list, the most standard of the tour, you will note that the first part of the show was a solid rocker. The final encore was also rock solid.

The evolution of this band to the mainstream pop, has killed the essence and power of the live shows, there is no energy.

This I agree with. The Bounce tour rocked a lot harder, but back then the same was being said what you are saying right now. It's so watered down compared to the usual standards. A pop song like Misunderstood didn't belong in the set, and neither did Captain Crash. The sad thing is that we got more of those now simply because Jon has no interest and ability to sing the more uptempo and rockier songs of those days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1156468)
Well, if Sambora not left the tour, I'd wager that Jon would make an extension of the tour in 2014, as happened with The Circle Tour 2010 - Greatest Hits Tour 2011.

I don't think so. Although some kind of release was planned for Christmas with an extention into 2014, I don't think the lack of dates for 2014 is due to the absense of Richie. It's really the lack of sales everywhere and the entire tour being a giant cluster****.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1156468)
Also there was another rumor, would have dates for Europe in 2014, with a possible negotiation at Wembley Stadium. Now, all this will not be possible. If Richie had not deserted, the next to suffer the aftermath of tour had been David Bryan for combine their diary.

Bon Jovi were never scheduled to play Wembley. There were rumours for festival dates next year, but that seems to be off the table. The Wembley rumour is started every year a new tour seems to be coming up, but it's not going to happen unless AEG and the other parties settle their differences stemming back from 2006.

The thing is; Jon and AEG both thought they'd get away with another monster tour, and although it's clearly been a succes, it's not been the financial succes Jon has been hoping for. Too many problems and not enough people thinking a Bon Jovi show is worth over 100 dollars. There have been absolutely ZERO sold out shows this tour, which is a first for Jon in about 15 years now.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 11-16-2013 06:41 PM

It's funny, the Bounce tour was my first tour and Jon's voice wasn't the best but I didn't care. It was the energy and the soul he put into it. Running around the stage and owning it and shoving the new songs in your face whether you liked it or not. You could tell he believed The Distance would be huge. This time around he thinks Because We Can should be huge but has no reason to other than because it's by them.

Just bring it. Own the stage again and the new songs would go over better.

bonjovi90 11-16-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1156488)
Aloha !

There was absolutely no show on the Bounce tour that came close to what Jon delivered in Cologne, Milan, Berne or even Dublin.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

While I agree with everything else in your post, there was one show on the Bounce tour which actually kicked the shit out of any show that came afterwards (maybe bar one or two in 2008) and that was Munich. Besides that, the tour wasn't that great at all (but neither was this one).

Supersonic 11-16-2013 07:43 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1156490)
While I agree with everything else in your post, there was one show on the Bounce tour which actually kicked the shit out of any show that came afterwards (maybe bar one or two in 2008) and that was Munich. Besides that, the tour wasn't that great at all (but neither was this one).

Oh, I know there were several European shows that were among the best the band had done in years. Vienna, Mannheim, Amsterdam, Bremen, Zurich, Munich and Kiel were the band peaking. Apart from those shows, there was not much to write home about. Still, the Jon I saw in the encore of Milan was one I hadn't seen since Frankfurt 2008. My point is that even though people seem to think the Bounce tour was so much better than this one, it really wasn't. By nowadays standards, maybe. By standards from those days? Not so much. 90% of the shows from 2000-2006 were Jon on auto pilot, pretty much like 90% of this tour has been Jon on auto pilot.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Beaky 11-17-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1156491)
Aloha !

Oh, I know there were several European shows that were among the best the band had done in years. Vienna, Mannheim, Amsterdam, Bremen, Zurich, Munich and Kiel were the band peaking. Apart from those shows, there was not much to write home about. Still, the Jon I saw in the encore of Milan was one I hadn't seen since Frankfurt 2008. My point is that even though people seem to think the Bounce tour was so much better than this one, it really wasn't. By nowadays standards, maybe. By standards from those days? Not so much. 90% of the shows from 2000-2006 were Jon on auto pilot, pretty much like 90% of this tour has been Jon on auto pilot.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I disagree. Certainly, the decline had set in with Jon's voice and if you compare them directly to the early shows I went to in the late 80s and up to 1995, then 2003 wasn't what you would call epic.

However, although it's purely a matter of opinion, Jon was on fire in 2003 compared to how he's been for this ENTIRE tour because he hasn't taken care of himself, it's that simple.

A man who smoked up until his late 40s and knocks the crap out of his knees running every day has made his choice to give up being the front man who still commanded the stage - albeit in patches - ten years ago.

I saw the Capital FM show where they introduced the songs from Bounce live for the first time (I think it was anyway) and Jon was on it. He still believed in the album and it was a huge departure even from the Crush tour, to see him boss an arena again.

I then saw three UK shows, Molineaux, Manchester and Hyde Park and although they were far from the performances of their heyday and the set lists were almost identical, they were close enough to the band I loved to be enjoyable. Auto-pilot or not, he still had the chops to sing songs like Bad Name a helluva lot better than he does today.

Now, the problem is - the level of enjoyment always dissolves over the course of a tour for Jon. Being onstage is a means to an end. Once he realises he hasn't written a hit album in the sense that it boasts some relevant tunes that are going to stick around for years to come, then he gets disillusioned and just wants to go back to charity work until the next time he wants to prove that the Hall of Fame and all the rest of them are wrong and schedules a number one tour... that's why he does what he does.

But even 2008, or 2010 was better than he's been on this tour. Neil Diamond makes more effort than Jon Bon Jovi 2013.

samboraisgodUK 11-18-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathue (Post 1156504)
deleted

This is a joke right?

Alphavictim 11-18-2013 03:05 PM

Spam actually - hence the signature. Don't click on it, and just delete it, dear mods.

Captain_jovi 11-18-2013 05:43 PM

Not to be an ass but why wouldn't this have been posted? Sorry if it sounds harsh.

Alphavictim 11-18-2013 07:38 PM

The "news" was about 1 year old?