Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

DevilsSon 01-22-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1160771)
Poor phrasing on my part. I meant Jon shouldn't have to say yes because Richie told the press he wanted a song in.

You are right - Jon shouldn't have to say yes because Richie told the press but Jon should have to say yes if Richie if asked directly. Now we never know if that has ever happened and you rightly point out it's all a hypothetical game. Yet it's difficult to imagine that Richie never mentioned it in a band context...

Anyway - bit of a pointless discussion. Sorry to be going on and on. Just wanted to point out that it's not what you labelled 'common sense'. In the context of the 'Bon Jovi brotherhood' bullshit - it would have been common sense to have Richie sing one of his songs.

JackieBlue 01-22-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1160773)
You are right - Jon shouldn't have to say yes because Richie told the press but Jon should have to say yes if Richie if asked directly.

Well, I'm going to extend the "pointless" discussion a bit further. (Why not? It's certainly not the first in this thread.:rolleyes:)

I distinctly remember an interview (and I think it was video, not print) where Jon said that Richie would be doing some Aftermath songs and that he himself might bring out some of his solo work. I think he was discussing Stand Up Guys and I can see him kinda shrugging and saying something like, "Sure. Richie's going to do some songs from his new album. I'll probably do 'Not Running', maybe 'Old Habits Die Hard'. We're going to change things up..." or something like that. Does anyone else remember seeing that? I've been looking for it periodically but I haven't been able to lay hands on it again.

Unless I dreamed that interview, Jon should have said yes to honor his own statement to the press, if for no other reason.

Captain_jovi 01-22-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1160773)
You are right - Jon shouldn't have to say yes because Richie told the press but Jon should have to say yes if Richie if asked directly. Now we never know if that has ever happened and you rightly point out it's all a hypothetical game. Yet it's difficult to imagine that Richie never mentioned it in a band context...

Anyway - bit of a pointless discussion. Sorry to be going on and on. Just wanted to point out that it's not what you labelled 'common sense'. In the context of the 'Bon Jovi brotherhood' bullshit - it would have been common sense to have Richie sing one of his songs.

Fair enough. No need to be sorry, I hear you. I feel like the band lost that brotherhood the last few years and I've forgotten how it used to be.

Jackie, yeah that interview sounds familiar but plans simply change. Playing songs he said he'd play in a single interview to honor a commitment that maybe a few hundred people know about isn't enough of a reason. It's what the band does tour after tour "no no, this is the one you have to see, dusting off some rare songs for the diehard this is for then".

They try 'em and they're dropped within 10 shows, if you're lucky, because when Jon doesn't get the reaction he wants he doesn't want to try again (Brokenpromiseland, Roulette, Shot through the heart, etc). This is the weird instance where they didn't even bother trying. The rarest they went at the beginning of the tour was adding half an album that no one had heard a note of which I admit was ballsy.

There might have been rare stuff planned but with what was going on behind the scenes with Richie I'm sure it affected that. I'd imagine those interviews took place pre Richie hesitating.

foxli 01-22-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1160776)
Well, I'm going to extend the "pointless" discussion a bit further. (Why not? It's certainly not the first in this thread.:rolleyes:)

I distinctly remember an interview (and I think it was video, not print) where Jon said that Richie would be doing some Aftermath songs and that he himself might bring out some of his solo work. I think he was discussing Stand Up Guys and I can see him kinda shrugging and saying something like, "Sure. Richie's going to do some songs from his new album. I'll probably do 'Not Running', maybe 'Old Habits Die Hard'. We're going to change things up..." or something like that. Does anyone else remember seeing that? I've been looking for it periodically but I haven't been able to lay hands on it again.

Unless I dreamed that interview, Jon should have said yes to honor his own statement to the press, if for no other reason.

This is the interview you mentioned:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...gs-at-club-gig

It sounds very positive but as we know it never happened. I also remember how my friends and I were discussing Wanted. At the end of the Circle/GH tour he used to sing the second verse. On the first BWC tour leg it looked like Jon wanted him to sing that part, too, but we had the impression Richie "refused" (with one exception). As if: If I can't sing my own song, I don't sing at all.

I had always the impression, that the "solo-song-issue" was a reason, one beside a few others probably.

DestinationJovi 01-22-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxli (Post 1160779)
This is the interview you mentioned:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...gs-at-club-gig

It sounds very positive but as we know it never happened. I also remember how my friends and I were discussing Wanted. At the end of the Circle/GH tour he used to sing the second verse. On the first BWC tour leg it looked like Jon wanted him to sing that part, too, but we had the impression Richie "refused" (with one exception). As if: If I can't sing my own song, I don't sing at all.

I had always the impression, that the "solo-song-issue" was a reason, one beside a few others probably.

You have evidence of it looking like Jon wanted Richie to sing the second verse of Wanted but he refused? When Jon wants him to sing it he nods his head towards the mic after the crowd sings the first verse. Jon did that once the first leg (in Atlanta) and Richie sang it. There was no other show Jon nodded his head for Richie to sing it.

In hindsight, watching this video from Richie's last show it does not appear there is anything wrong. He does not look like a guy who has checked out and doesn't want to be on tour. He also does not look like he has any issue with Jon. I mean, watch the end. There was no sign at all of what was to come.

http://youtu.be/0Ys16HnXYJ4

jovi76 01-23-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1160757)
That's interesting. Is that from an interview? The reason I ask is that I was under the impression, since Jon's setlists (that I've seen anyway) had the songs and any performance notes, that it was he who made the decision as to what RS sang. It seems to be the general consensus that the band has little input about anything anymore. I realize that could just be my own personal head canon, so if there's something concrete out there, esopecially if it contradicts that theory, I'd love to see it.

No I have heard it from what I consider reliable sources which means F all to anyone else.

I still don't see why anyone would think Jon would care if Richie sang a solo song. Since when do we take anything Richie says as gospel, maybe he changed his mind it could have been anything.

It is not like he has ever had a massive response to a solo song of his at a show even the bon jovi songs he sings are not a crowd favorite. Of course some shows and countries respond better. I would imagine seeing the crowd sitting down, talking amongst themselves, taking selfies, bathroom and drinks breaks would be enough of a bummer - all things I have seen even in the very front rows.

What impact would it have on Jon for Richie to sing a solo song - none.

rolo_tomachi 01-23-2014 01:46 PM

Jon, as friend, should have supported to Richie and his solo song, after verification that does not work, remove of the set list and only play on special occasions. But Jon, as friend/brother, did not give any opportunity to Richie, and we are talking about the happiness of "his right hand".

RonJovi 01-23-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1160809)
Jon, as friend, should have supported to Richie and his solo song, after verification that does not work, remove of the set list and only play on special occasions. But Jon, as friend/brother, did not give any opportunity to Richie, and we are talking about the happiness of "his right hand".

There's a lot going on in that sentence...

Fredrik 01-23-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1160811)
There's a lot going on in that sentence...

Yeah, a whole lot of "I don't even know what I'm trying to say here".

semigoodlookin 01-23-2014 03:09 PM

Keeping my right hand happy is a part of my essential daily routine.