Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

semigoodlookin 05-22-2014 02:52 PM

This is all opinion of course, but I have always viewed Jon's solo output more artistic than Richie's. Within the confines of a movie soundtrack I found more variation on Blaze than I did Stranger, even though I enjoy both albums. I do not think Destination Anywhere and Undiscovered Soul are even close artistically, with DA blowing it out of the water.

It is this fact that has always led me to believe Jon writes or has the biggest hand in Bon Jovi's best written songs. I do not think Richie is trying to suggest he lost artistic integrity though, merely that he needed to do something different. If he is suggesting he was the driving force behind the bands music but also lost integrity, then I would be inclined to think he is actually losing much more integrity now.

rolo_tomachi 05-22-2014 05:12 PM

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2dw6uy8.jpg

samboraisgodUK 05-22-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1176887)
This is all opinion of course, but I have always viewed Jon's solo output more artistic than Richie's. Within the confines of a movie soundtrack I found more variation on Blaze than I did Stranger, even though I enjoy both albums. I do not think Destination Anywhere and Undiscovered Soul are even close artistically, with DA blowing it out of the water.

Interesting that you think this, I much prefer Undiscovered Soul to Destination Anywhere - lyrically, musically, stylistically, everything.

RonJovi 05-22-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1176900)
Interesting that you think this, I much prefer Undiscovered Soul to Destination Anywhere - lyrically, musically, stylistically, everything.

Couldn't disagree more. For me, Undiscovered Soul is peppered with bland, nothing songs. In it For Love, All that Really Matters, Downside of Love, Chained, You're Not Alone...they are all nothing songs.

I like Richie's work but US is his worst album in my opinion.

Now when it comes to Stranger v Blaze, I'm taking Stranger every time.

samboraisgodUK 05-22-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1176901)
Couldn't disagree more. For me, Undiscovered Soul is peppered with bland, nothing songs. In it For Love, All that Really Matters, Downside of Love, Chained, You're Not Alone...they are all nothing songs.

I like Richie's work but US is his worst album in my opinion.

Now when it comes to Stranger v Blaze, I'm taking Stranger every time.

There's a few bland ones, I'll grant you that, but your inclusion of Downside of Love in that list waters down your whole point - that's a fantastic song.

nickolai 05-22-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1176898)

Literally, who gives a fuck

Tictoc 05-22-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1176913)
Literally, who gives a fuck

If you gave half as many ****s about your grammar as you do about Richie you might not look like a complete spanner all the time, you big dumb spanner.

Captain_jovi 05-23-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 1176917)
If you gave half as many ****s about your grammar as you do about Richie you might not look like a complete spanner all the time, you big dumb spanner.

Cool it on the random attacks please.

scaryclone 05-23-2014 02:09 AM

agreed Soul was a bit forgettable.
stranger album rocked my socks off though

and wow i had so many tabs open, nearly lost this one

father time live, absolutely owns

semigoodlookin 05-23-2014 02:53 PM

I like Stranger a lot too, should have clarified that, but just think Blaze is better. And DA is much better than US from several points, but as I said it was my opinion.

The problem I have always had with Stranger as someone deeply ingrained in blues playing and listening to the greats like SRV a lot. I think it still sounds like someone trying to be bluesy at times. I get that Richie was probably trying to still cover his 80's rocker vibe while being bluesy, and while the album is a blues album it simply doesn't stand up to the best from that genre. Admittedly it is a harsh criticism though, and as I said I do enjoy the album regardless.