Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bruuuuce (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53654)

Jim Bon Jovi 01-22-2012 11:50 PM

Happy days I've managed to re-arrange the holiday so that I get to see the Boss and get off my tits in Cancun :D

Kathleen 01-23-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi (Post 1078814)
Happy days I've managed to re-arrange the holiday so that I get to see the Boss and get off my tits in Cancun :D

Good for you Jim - I can't imagine missing Bruce. But I'm a nutcase and am afraid that he won't be touring too much after this.

Adam D 01-23-2012 02:42 AM

The single's repitive don't you think? What does it have, two verses?

I'm disappointed in the song, much prefer Outlaw Pete, What Love Can Do over it but I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

At this point, Bruce could release a song of him on the toilet and critics would still gush. Had Jovi released this same song, I'd be willing to bet the lyrics would be called contrived etc. It's a Bruce song though, so they are pure poetry.

TwinFan 01-23-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1078815)
Good for you Jim - I can't imagine missing Bruce. But I'm a nutcase and am afraid that he won't be touring too much after this.

I sure hope he does. I'm not too huge a Bruce fan, but after all the rave reviews I've heard of his shows, I've realized that I NEED to see him live before he retires.

Kathleen 01-23-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1078819)

I'm disappointed in the song, much prefer Outlaw Pete, What Love Can Do over it but I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

At this point, Bruce could release a song of him on the toilet and critics would still gush. Had Jovi released this same song, I'd be willing to bet the lyrics would be called contrived etc. It's a Bruce song though, so they are pure poetry.

It's a bit repetitive but have you actually read the words? It can be taken on many levels.

But you're right about had Jovi written it :(

ticos_stick 01-23-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Bruce is a critic's favourite because he has released a massively eclectic body of work. He's worked his arse off for it and people know his heart is in the right place.

Lets not turn this into a Bon Jovi discussion, I may say some things I might regret.

Butters 01-23-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

I agree with you that the song is pretty repetitive but that's not necessarally a bad thing, although I do think the song is lacking something. It's pretty much another Born In The USA in that the lyrical content is wholly ironic (and if you've read any of the reviews you'll see that the meaning of the song has been completed misinterpreted in the same way), and melodically it is quite repetitive too. I think We Take of Our Own does suffer from being too short but it is an incredibley well written song and deserves huge credit for that. The melody is also very appealing and I think will work great in a live environment.

As for the Bon Jovi comparison, you're right, they would get slated for writing something like this, however Jon couldn't write this kind of song. This is quintessentially Bruce Springsteen and even if it doesn't reach the heights of Born In The USA, it's still a very good song.

Adam D 01-23-2012 08:08 PM

I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm ripping Bruce, I respect his body of work very much and he's a very good lyricist. I just don't see what's so great about this particular song.

Oh well, let's hope I like the rest of the album better. I'm looking forward to finally having a studio version of LOHAD

tigrs99 01-24-2012 03:51 PM

Bruce first official show announced
Springsteen will play at New Orleans Jazz
Fest April 20th
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...est/52765142/1

tigrs99 01-24-2012 04:34 PM

US dates are up on Springsteen site
Tour starts Atlanta March 18