Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Official Youtube.com Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=36750)

bonjovi_cro 09-28-2024 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1295655)
The point is, that it all depends on how far they were in the process and how many songs carried over once they restarted... If Jon wrote 3 songs, didn't like them, and decided to start over, then sure, it's just that. Or if 10 of the 12 songs carried over from album to album, then sure, it's a continuation of the same album. If things were consistent and if they were all agreeing to take their time for whatever reasons, then again, it's just that.

However, in both situations, for slightly different reasons, they scrapped what they had and "STARTED OVER".

They had an album title, a title track to coincide, enough songs written to fulfill a double album, tracks demoed, some recorded, they even went into the studio for OAN, and if Jon was happy with the results, then those albums would have been released which would have been very different than Crush and These Days... But they stopped, regrouped, changed the sound, changed the guitars, switched studios, switched producers, wrote NEW songs, and changed album titles.

If I'm not mistaken, only 4 songs made it to These Days from Open All Night which were Diamond Ring, Hearts Breaking Even, STBI, and Hey God... Everything else came after...

Alright, fair enough, I get your reasoning sincerely, but the debate on here is really semantics then. If all involved backed a bit off, I think you would all agree somewhat.

So OAN sessions have been scrapped for Crossroads and delay, which resulted in somewhat different TD album, with different direction and producer. Fair enough. Similar to Sex Sells, there were some demos, some non-definite direction or decision should it be JBJ or BJ project, incertainty over production style, etc, which resulted (after the early passing of Fairbarn) with Crush, which for sure is different then original vision.

But another word for that is context. I'm not taking sides here, just I think it's a debate of semantics, it's not like whole album is done (like early HAND) and scrapped for, let's say, Lost Highway. That would be very obvious example of what you are trying to portray. I think reality is somewhere between, but naturally, in most of artists.

Captain_jovi 09-28-2024 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1295655)
The point is, that it all depends on how far they were in the process and how many songs carried over once they restarted... If Jon wrote 3 songs, didn't like them, and decided to start over, then sure, it's just that. Or if 10 of the 12 songs carried over from album to album, then sure, it's a continuation of the same album. If things were consistent and if they were all agreeing to take their time for whatever reasons, then again, it's just that.

However, in both situations, for slightly different reasons, they scrapped what they had and "STARTED OVER".

They had an album title, a title track to coincide, enough songs written to fulfill a double album, tracks demoed, some recorded, they even went into the studio for OAN, and if Jon was happy with the results, then those albums would have been released which would have been very different than Crush and These Days... But they stopped, regrouped, changed the sound, changed the guitars, switched studios, switched producers, wrote NEW songs, and changed album titles.

If I'm not mistaken, only 4 songs made it to These Days from Open All Night which were Diamond Ring, Hearts Breaking Even, STBI, and Hey God... Everything else came after...

I completely agree, the '94 album WAS scrapped and started over with a few things transitioning. But you can't compare that to this. That had a producer and a full band. 1998 had neither of those things. Apart from Real Life, some songs in the early J+R demo stages...for all we know Jon could have been talking about the batch of songs he wrote on his own he figured the band would help flesh out. With Dave's injury especially, I cant say for sure if Sex Sells was full band fleshed out until '99 when he returned but I'd wager it wasn't until AFTER Bruce died since he never entered the picture at all (is that right? That's the vibe I got)

Rdkopper 09-28-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1295657)
I completely agree, the '94 album WAS scrapped and started over with a few things transitioning. But you can't compare that to this. That had a producer and a full band. 1998 had neither of those things. Apart from Real Life, some songs in the early J+R demo stages...for all we know Jon could have been talking about the batch of songs he wrote on his own he figured the band would help flesh out. With Dave's injury especially, I cant say for sure if Sex Sells was full band fleshed out until '99 when he returned but I'd wager it wasn't until AFTER Bruce died since he never entered the picture at all (is that right? That's the vibe I got)

I'm glad we agree on '94 so that shuts Thinnys analogy out.

I'll respond back later on '99

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Thinny 09-28-2024 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1295658)
I'm glad we agree on '94 so that shuts Thinnys analogy out.

I'll respond back later on '99

Again, I'll try to make it clearer, but I know you still won't understand. Of course some tracks and some recordings would be scrapped during the album process, that happens on every album. But they were still working on what would eventually become These Days. This happens probably on more albums than you realize, but bands don't always talk about it.

Def Leppard scrapped a whole album worth of recordings for Hysteria that they recorded with Jim Steinman. But they were still working on what would become Hysteria. Hysteria wasn't scrapped, it just evolved into something else.

It's just symatantics at the end of the day, and such a pointless argument...again....