Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Official November 27 Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70456)

jovifan93 11-28-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIks from Finland (Post 1248161)
This setlist pretty much sums up what is wrong with their setlists. We can always argue which song is good and which is not. But the real problem for me is how the setlists are put up. In this case only 3 out of the first 12 songs are pre 2000 songs. And the rest 9 songs are all pre 1993. So the first half of the show is always pretty lame and boring. The casuals know only few of those songs and the real fans don't like to hear them (Because being played so often). Then the second half is full of hits from Slippery, KTF and NJ. Casuals are feeling great and Jon is happy. Die hards are left unhappy again. It is hard for me to understand the reason behind this.

Well, diehards aren't that relevant, since they are by far outnumbered by casuals. And casuals want to hear the hits, and putting them (mostly) at the end of the set makes everyone leave on a high, especially with Prayer ending the show. Simple as that.

jovifan93 11-28-2018 09:23 AM

That BTBMB wasn't that bad. I've heard worse over the years to be honest...

steel_horse75 11-28-2018 09:32 AM

The Official November 27 Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan Thread

For a band with some real great songs and rarities the set lists are so bland.

They say they practice 90+ songs but nothing in those last 2 shows was a “wow” choice.

Throw in something different.
Lose the Lost Highway combo as it don’t work and never has. They have even found a way to make WSYCGH even more tedious.
I actually thought the acoustic start was ok (for a dreadful song) then 15 mins later it’s still going on and my ears are bleeding.

I’m already regretting buying my tickets if the set lists are this poor in Europe.
I’d take them playing different songs and butchering them over these set lists.

Finally the spark has gone for JBJ. I don’t think it’s the same for him since Richie left. Maybe he’d have him back but Tico and Dave wont? It’s like the lights have been switched off for Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzsta 11-28-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troubadour79 (Post 1248143)
Hi

New to the boards(though I will admit I have been coming here for many years) :)

I checked out the video to In these arms from the gig and noticed they were playing it in Dmajor not Emajor. (so it?s in Dflat major because they always tune down live)

Is this a new thing, cause I haven?t really noticed it before? I wondered why the song sounded like it was dragging. Surprised Jon still struggled.

Are there other songs that have been changed?

I am pretty sure that in the 2010 tour (inside out) the song was in D. Not D flat.

They have been downtuning guitars, and eventually songs, since the nineties.

Nevertheless, I don't believe the downtuning is enough to justify a very strong drag.

bonjovi90 11-28-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1248168)
Well, diehards aren't that relevant, since they are by far outnumbered by casuals. And casuals want to hear the hits, and putting them (mostly) at the end of the set makes everyone leave on a high, especially with Prayer ending the show. Simple as that.

Yeah but that doesn't excuse the first half of the set at all. There's too much midtempo songs that neither the casuals know nor the diehards care about. I agree that the show should build up towards their big hits, but it's the rest that needs to at least be rotated.

steel_horse75 11-28-2018 10:35 AM

They would never play a show just for die hards.
We would all love a gig with ton of songs from Boxset and New Jersey tracks on disc 2 but half the audience would hate it. I get that.
But there are ways to make it more interesting for long time fans.
Whats wrong with the odd b-side or rare track?

bonjovi90 11-28-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1248170)
Finally the spark has gone for JBJ. I don’t think it’s the same for him since Richie left. Maybe he’d have him back but Tico and Dave wont? It’s like the lights have been switched off for Jon.

I think that's the case as well. Jon needs stability and his "band of brothers" was that where he felt comfortable with the ones surrounding him. As capable as Phil X and Shanks may be musically, it's not the same for him and you see that. Haven't seen Jon geniuenly happy since the 2011 show I guess.

That comment he made in the German SPIEGEL interview in 2016 about touring was quite revealing with regards to that.

And about letting Richie back (not that I want to open that topic up again): set aside if either Jon or Richie want that, I think (since the most recent interview and someone pointint out the tenions at the HoF afterwards) that David wouldn't want that either.

jovifan93 11-28-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1248172)
Yeah but that doesn't excuse the first half of the set at all. There's too much midtempo songs that neither the casuals know nor the diehards care about. I agree that the show should build up towards their big hits, but it's the rest that needs to at least be rotated.

True, but I think Jon uses the first half of the set to please himself, i.e. play songs that *he* likes, then followed by songs that he thinks *we* like. I think he said he only does this for the odd song or two, but I think it's definitely the case with WLOL/LH, for example.

liljovi93 11-28-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1248158)
What is 'Shite'?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

What you chat a lot of the time.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 11-28-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1248175)
True, but I think Jon uses the first half of the set to please himself, i.e. play songs that *he* likes, then followed by songs that he thinks *we* like. I think he said he only does this for the odd song or two, but I think it's definitely the case with WLOL/LH, for example.

Somehow I get the feeling sometimes that Jon neither likes their hits too much nor most of the fan favourites. Only a small portion of cuts that (ironically) the fans don't like too much.
What I find interesting is that he stated in the WWWB documentary "I don't like the lull because I find it harder to pull it back up again". Yet this combo always kills off the energy from the start of the show. He could at least stick to one of the two songs per night or spread them out.