Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Rdkopper 07-03-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo_Sancho (Post 1265121)
Agree.. I'm not searching the sky for answers, I miss the old Richie and if there was ever a way he would have re-joined it woulda been after the HOF.. it didn't materialize and the demons were still there. He got his shit together for the ceremony but flopped again when Orianthi left.. I don't see what hes done after and maybe his living out his years in the californian sun watching his daughter grow & mature but man, that last video was sad. i know thats not the richie we know & a wake up call he is far from healthy..

I really didn't even think Richie was super cool at the HOF... He speech was out in left field, I thought he was kinda arrogant, and even at times seemed to have a chip on his shoulder...

Jon was the one who was playing it up like old times. I think I've seen him grab Richie a half dozen times.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Thinny 07-03-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265123)
I really didn't even think Richie was super cool at the HOF... He speech was out in left field, I thought he was kinda arrogant, and even at times seemed to have a chip on his shoulder...

This is a prime example of people seeing what they want to see and looking hard for things that are not there....what a load of rubbish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265123)
Jon was the one who was playing it up like old times. I think I've seen him grab Richie a half dozen times.

They both seemed absolutely fine with each other throughout the whole thing.

Thinny 07-03-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265122)
His voice is definitely debatable live... Some songs he gets away with like the big anthem songs that aren't really vocally driven such as Its My Life. He does okay with the new stuff...

Debatable? A singer not able to sing is not debatable. "Doing ok" and "getting away with it" is not acceptable for a lead singer. I expect a singer to be able to sing

Quote:

You then log into JoviTalk and read everyone bitching about his voice based on the two or three songs they listened to which are the These Days, Always, etc. and think that the entire show was just that... And the cycle continues!!!

It's a fantasy that people only complain about his voice here. I'm part of a lot of rock communities and since the UK/Euro tour last year, every time Bon Jovi is mentioned 90% of the comments are "his voice is shot" "he can't sing anymore" "he's lost it". The last tour opened a lot of people's eyes over here.

Rdkopper 07-03-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265125)
Debatable? A singer not able to sing is not debatable. "Doing ok" and "getting away with it" is not acceptable for a lead singer. I expect a singer to be able to sing

It's a fantasy that people only complain about his voice here. I'm part of a lot of rock communities and since the UK/Euro tour last year, every time Bon Jovi is mentioned 90% of the comments are "his voice is shot" "he can't sing anymore" "he's lost it". The last tour opened a lot of people's eyes over here.

You're totally missing the point...I'm talking about a live in person concert structure...Not YouTube Comments. And not his overall voice in general either. No Shit it's shot.

Thinny 07-04-2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265126)
You're totally missing the point...I'm talking about a live in person concert structure...Not YouTube Comments. And not his overall voice in general either. No Shit it's shot.

I'm not missing the point, I'm talking about people that went to the shows commenting on Jon's voice, not people watching the YouTube videos. One example was in the Facebook group for Download Festival someone suggested Bon Jovi as headliners and most of the posts were as I stated...Saying that they saw him last year and he was awful. Most of the rest said "not without Sambora". A few said they hated the band, and some said they are not massive fans but would enjoy seeing them.

My point was that whenever Bon Jovi are mentioned for whatever reason in these communities, that is now the most common response, mostly from people that have been to the shows as the UK rock community still go to see a lot of live rock shows. Or at least did until a few months ago....I never noticed the overwhelming responses until after the tour, so people going to the shows has definitely have had an infleunce. I think the only people that go out searching for YouTube videos are the big fans like us anyways, hence the reason most people were blisfully unaware of Jon's vocal issues until he toured here.

But regardless, personally, when I go to see a band I want the singer to be able to sing.

But this is a topic for another thread, so let's not go off the rails with this here...

Rdkopper 07-04-2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265124)
This is a prime example of people seeing what they want to see and looking hard for things that are not there....what a load of rubbish.

They both seemed absolutely fine with each other throughout the whole thing.

Richie's speech was a train wreck.

rolo_tomachi 07-04-2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

I know I've been down this road a million times but why not.. A current day Bon Jovi show isn't all that bad... I wouldn't recommend dropping 500 plus on floor seats but if you have 75 to 100 bucks to spend on a first level seat, I'd say go for it...

Jon's voice aside, there is still a lot to enjoy... The band is incredible, it's your favorite music, Jon still has that star quality, it's a two and a half hour show.

His voice is definitely debatable live... Some songs he gets away with like the big anthem songs that aren't really vocally driven such as Its My Life. He does okay with the new stuff... I can be somewhat forgiving on certain things. This is where the debatable part really comes in but let's take Bed Of Roses for example. I think he does a really great job with it. Sure he's not hitting every note but he's manged to make it somewhat enjoyable... and then there are some songs he butchers like These Days but they are such crowd pleases, it totally makes up for it.

I know some have walked away with that "I'm never seeing them again" attitude but I actually still find a lot of moments of enjoyment... The first few times I might have gotten into that 25 year ago comparison mode but I'm over it and I just accept it for what it is now...

They are getting old, I'm getting older and I just kinda see myself aging with then together. I still think it's cool to see my childhood band perform live.

In America, no one cares how well Jon sings Living On Prayer because you probably can't hear him anyway. And when they use that to close the show and people are still singing it in the parking lot on the way out, that's a pretty cool thing.

You buy your parking lot t shirt, you have one last beer in the lot before you take off, everyone is blasting Bon Jovi on their car radios, it's a beautiful summer night. You wake up the next morning, you're like "that was a fun night out"... You then log into JoviTalk and read everyone bitching about his voice based on the two or three songs they listened to which are the These Days, Always, etc. and think that the entire show was just that... And the cycle continues!!!

I'm sorry but I don't feel the pleasure because is a brand. It must feed me something else, and the circus of the shows can no longer do it. About studio albums is another story. I still think they are a shadow of what they were, and without Richie it feels even more generic, but there are still those couple of songs that I can find to re-savor that feeling of warmth that before I was feeling for this band.

Supersonic 07-04-2020 08:11 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo_Sancho (Post 1265108)
Attachment 1651 If hes on meds he shouldn't br drinking and they don't make you slur your words..

This is incorrect. Depending both on the dosage and the kind of medication you can still drink when you're on medication and yes, the medication might also make you slur your words. Especially when, like Thinny says, there are life long after effects from the days Richie did use heavily.

I mean no offense but your assumptions indicate you, like many others on Jovitalk who are always in the "he's drunk" camp, haven't got the slightest idea of what you're talking about. The simple conclusion on him being drunk all the time seems to be formed upon a gut feeling based upon the time you were drunk. That just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying Richie should go bar-hopping every night and I don't think, considering his history with drug and alcohol abuse, drinking is the right thing for him to do. But I'm also not in the camp saying he's drunk all the time. It's too easy to blame it all on alcohol abuse when in reality he was intoxicated a lot in the nineties and early zero's as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Thinny 07-04-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265128)
Richie's speech was a train wreck.

That's a matter of opinion. It just seemed to me like he hadn't really prepared anything to say and wanted to take it off the cuff, which was probably a mistake as everyone else had come well prepared.

My comment was obviously about him being "arrogant" and having "a chip on his shoulder" at the RNRHOF, not his speech.

Eveline 07-04-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265131)
That's a matter of opinion. It just seemed to me like he hadn't really prepared anything to say and wanted to take it off the cuff, which was probably a mistake as everyone else had come well prepared.

My comment was obviously about him being "arrogant" and having "a chip on his shoulder" at the RNRHOF, not his speech.

Posts like yours, sir, make me wanna go back to this forum and actually follow the threads here. Thank you.