Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Litneg 12-02-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1270830)
Wait, Halo? Did I miss a title from 2020 sessions that we know about?

Initially they recorded 23 songs for "2020" in those "eleven days session" last year. Then came Unbroken, Lower The Flag, Do What You Can and American Reckoning. So, we actually only know 12 out of 27 tracks from the lastest (that if we disconsider the demos of Beautiful Drug, Blood in The Water and others).

Jon mentioned during the JBJ Exp Q&A there's a song he cowrote with Billy Falcon called "Halo", but they never felt it was good enough to say "it's finished".

Johny 12-02-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1270831)
Shanks wanted to be in Bon Jovi and asked Jon to tour. If Jon said No, then Phil would take over those parts and be the only on stage guitarist but Jon didnt say no so unfortunately for Phil, Shanks will obviously play on the songs he wrote. It's just how it goes...

Wasn't this the other way round? I though Jon asked John to join the live band because he'd already played on the album(s).

Johny 12-02-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270832)
Initially they recorded 23 songs for "2020" in those "eleven days session" last year. Then came Unbroken, Lower The Flag, Do What You Can and American Reckoning. So, we actually only know 12 out of 27 tracks from the lastest (that if we disconsider the demos of Beautiful Drug, Blood in The Water and others).

Jon mentioned during the JBJ Exp Q&A there's a song he cowrote with Billy Falcon called "Halo", but they never felt it was good enough to say "it's finished".

Thanks a lot! So there is only one title known so far.

Captain_jovi 12-02-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1270835)
Wasn't this the other way round? I though Jon asked John to join the live band because he'd already played on the album(s).

Naw, Jon has told a few stories about Shanks wanting to play with them (and almost did as early as 2005 but it fell apart).

To RD's point I don't think I agree that Shanks only plays on the songs he writes, he barely wrote for 2020 and took the solos for Story of Love, Blood in the Water and Luv Can. I agree with everything else though!

James_86 12-02-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1270820)
Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, those fans who can't handle any kind of criticism towards their idol or anything said/done honestly without kissing the ass of said person do not deserve to be described as diehards among us. People like J.B. are on the edge of their fandom becoming an obsession, which - especially in these kinds of cases - isn't a good thing at all.

Agreed. I don't class him or his followers as die-hards like you or I or the majority on this board. They're obsessional stalkery type people who think the sun always shines out of Jon's arse and he can't ever do anything wrong.

On a lighter note, Shine is apparently in his top 10 Jovi songs of all time [emoji2357][emoji23]

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

James_86 12-02-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1270821)
He has definitely brainwashed most of the housewife’s that follow him. I think he’s a little odd when all his tweets are about Bon Jovi and he copies all the band in.
At the start I thought he was harmless but he has a real horrible side to him. It’s down to him that Hand90 has taken Videos down for a while.
The moment you say you don’t like a song, think the fan club boxes are a bit expensive etc you get a bitchy tweet back and then he will block you.
I followed him for a bit then unfollowed him when he couldn’t get into a healthy debate. For some reason I keep seeing his arse kissing tweets in my timeline. That’s how I saw him say the boxes were great. I replied you don’t know what’s in them yet so for $200 I find that odd that anyone would pay it.
I got a ton of abuse from him and his cult and then he blocked me which was handy as I was sick of seeing him over my timeline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I heard he was the main reason for it. He's a bellend. I think I may have seen some of the crap you've got from Jerry on Twitter. Am I right in thinking you're one of Jay's mates?

James_86 12-02-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1270827)
I understand that the band is sensitive about the exclusive content being shared publicly. They have every right to be, On the other hand, I don't get people like this Jerry guy who feel the need to report YT accounts etc. Moreover this channel which offers so much to the community.

Because he's a kiss arse and he wants to be on the payroll I guess.

Hand90 has worked tirelessly to serve the community only for Jerry to think it might compromise his precious fan club.

Alphavictim 12-02-2020 04:21 PM

I think it's down to respecting what the band or rather JBJ did and do (their craft) or obsessing over them as people. If you are obsessed with JBJ as a person, are a fan of him as that, then he can do no wrong, because you are a fanatic when it comes to THE GUY. Not his craft.

I don't think that making a millionaire living from singing about struggling working class goes with the prices BJ the band has been asking for for about 20+ years. I think it's quite a load of shit. Doesn't mean that New Jersey is not the best 80s glam hard rock record ever, doesn't mean that I don't love HAND, doesn't mean that I don't think these guys used to be an absolute stellar live act. Doesn't mean I don't really like Blood in the Water.

But if it's all down to "are you for or against THAT PERSON", then it will mean that. But I could give a rat's ass about that. Obsessing is never a great idea. Remember that weird chick on here with the photoshopped JBJ avatar who freaked out when she found out Dirty Little Secret was about infidelity?

jovifan93 12-02-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270837)
Naw, Jon has told a few stories about Shanks wanting to play with them (and almost did as early as 2005 but it fell apart).

To RD's point I don't think I agree that Shanks only plays on the songs he writes, he barely wrote for 2020 and took the solos for Story of Love, Blood in the Water and Luv Can. I agree with everything else though!

I think it's more that Shanks wrote the solos, hence he's the one who plays them. Remember how Jon's the only credited person on Bed Of Roses or Dry County? ;-)

jovifan93 12-02-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1270841)
I think it's down to respecting what the band or rather JBJ did and do (their craft) or obsessing over them as people. If you are obsessed with JBJ as a person, are a fan of him as that, then he can do no wrong, because you are a fanatic when it comes to THE GUY. Not his craft.

I don't think that making a millionaire living from singing about struggling working class goes with the prices BJ the band has been asking for for about 20+ years. I think it's quite a load of shit. Doesn't mean that New Jersey is not the best 80s glam hard rock record ever, doesn't mean that I don't love HAND, doesn't mean that I don't think these guys used to be an absolute stellar live act. Doesn't mean I don't really like Blood in the Water.

But if it's all down to "are you for or against THAT PERSON", then it will mean that. But I could give a rat's ass about that. Obsessing is never a great idea. Remember that weird chick on here with the photoshopped JBJ avatar who freaked out when she found out Dirty Little Secret was about infidelity?

Oh yeah, I remember her. What was her name? Rose or something? Creepy girl ;-)

bonjovi90 12-02-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1270844)
Oh yeah, I remember her. What was her name? Rose or something? Creepy girl ;-)

Oh that backstage warrior? I remember something about Rosa or whatever her name was...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

steel_horse75 12-02-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1270839)
Am I right in thinking you're one of Jay's mates?

Yeah that's right

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Alphavictim 12-02-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1270845)
Oh that backstage warrior? I remember something about Rosa or whatever her name was...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Sounds about right; she was (supposedly?) pretty young, but Rosa is like... unless you are a cow, that is a name for somebody in their 50s. It kinda fits the overall vibe, though, haha.

nikos greece 12-02-2020 06:31 PM

hand channel is a great channel!!! i hope it will be back on soon..is true that it was a bit early to upload the 2 bonus tracks but antway, overall the channel really offers to the bj community with the material that we d would never had access to.
regarding shanks and phil x, and david bryan, jon is really into story telling, jon is a talented guy with a certain artistic approach. he always had a clear vision for the band and after all these years in the spotlight he consistently avoided traps. it sounds harsh but jon appreciates real talent and imo doesnt really like davids and phil songwriting.. its that simple. phil x composes some high energy riffs but overall his stuff is not great and inspired, and david also hasnt delivered a body of work that makes me say that jon has underused him, despite the awards...
not trying to put anyone down here, i just believe that jon and richie, falcon and shanks, with that order have proved better to write more interesting songs

Rdkopper 12-02-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1270850)
hand channel is a great channel!!! i hope it will be back on soon..is true that it was a bit early to upload the 2 bonus tracks but antway, overall the channel really offers to the bj community with the material that we d would never had access to.

regarding shanks and phil x, and david bryan, jon is really into story telling, jon is a talented guy with a certain artistic approach. he always had a clear vision for the band and after all these years in the spotlight he consistently avoided traps. it sounds harsh but jon appreciates real talent and imo doesnt really like davids and phil songwriting.. its that simple. phil x composes some high energy riffs but overall his stuff is not great and inspired, and david also hasnt delivered a body of work that makes me say that jon has underused him, despite the awards...

not trying to put anyone down here, i just believe that jon and richie, falcon and shanks, with that order have proved better to write more interesting songs

Very well stated

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Litneg 12-02-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1270850)

I miss Desmond Child co-writing these songs...

Captain_jovi 12-02-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270853)
I miss Desmond Child co-writing these songs...

Honestly, I don't. His last 5 were:

"Brokenpromiseland"
"Fast Cars"
"Happy Now"
"Learn to Love"
"Army of One"

Mostly pretty blech.

Litneg 12-02-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270855)

"Brokenpromiseland"
"Fast Cars"
"Happy Now"
"Learn to Love"
"Army of One"

Mostly pretty blech.

Out the terrible Army of One, I like these others, specially "Happy Now" (the Obama working on his office thing aside).

Brokenpromiseland is a funny one it goes pop, then rock then mix everything in the end hahahaha.

jovifan93 12-02-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270855)

"Brokenpromiseland"
"Fast Cars"
"Happy Now"
"Learn to Love"
"Army of One"

Mostly pretty blech.

Agreed on Army of One, but love Learn to Love and have a sweet spot for Fast Cars. Happy Now and Brokenpromiseland are solid, but nothing special, so yeah, Desmond at least lost his spark for me...

Captain_jovi 12-02-2020 07:57 PM

Some people have affinities with some of this songs, sure. But as far as this boards go, Brokenpromiseland is well liked, Fast Cars and Army of One tend to rate REALLY low on polls and Learn to Love isn't talked about much. Ditto a lot of Bounce. He's had some gems here in there from the 2000's forward but a lot of what he's done has led to songs people don't really praise here.

Alphavictim 12-02-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270858)
Some people have affinities with some of this songs, sure. But as far as this boards go, Brokenpromiseland is well liked, Fast Cars and Army of One tend to rate REALLY low on polls and Learn to Love isn't talked about much. Ditto a lot of Bounce. He's had some gems here in there from the 2000's forward but a lot of what he's done has led to songs people don't really praise here.

I quite like One Wild Night, Misunderstood, Bells of Freedom, Dirty Little Secret, Brokenpromiseland and Learn To Love. Not exactly in the same ballpark as Prayer, Bad Name, Born To Be My Baby and Keep The Faith, but it's not like the stuff he contributed to These Days is among the board's favorites.

Captain_jovi 12-02-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1270859)
I quite like One Wild Night, Misunderstood, Bells of Freedom, Dirty Little Secret, Brokenpromiseland and Learn To Love. Not exactly in the same ballpark as Prayer, Bad Name, Born To Be My Baby and Keep The Faith, but it's not like the stuff he contributed to These Days is among the board's favorites.

Hah, that's a super fair point, guess it all comes down to personal taste. I just would like to temper expectations that if both Desmond and Richie returned to the writing fold it doesn't mean all problems go away unless a conscious effort is there to change the process.

rolo_tomachi 12-02-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1270776)
Yeah seems harmless but a bit odd.
Reckons he only dislikes 5 Jovi songs in entire catalogue and prefers Phil to Richie!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

So he prefers Phil Boring...

Dicanio 12-02-2020 10:45 PM

With regards to Jerry, I'm surprised no-one has asked him about his meltdown on Twitter a few years back. He basically posted a video of himself doing a speech running the band down saying that they no longer offered value for money compared to other groups out there, one of those groups being the Backstreet Boys!!!

At that time he was he was sucking up to the Backstreet Boys in a very similar manner to how he now does to all things Jovi! A few months? later he posted another video saying he was wrong and all was right in the Jovi world again. It was all very strange..

BJFan99 12-02-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicanio (Post 1270863)
With regards to Jerry, I'm surprised no-one has asked him about his meltdown on Twitter a few years back. He basically posted a video of himself doing a speech running the band down saying that they no longer offered value for money compared to other groups out there, one of those groups being the Backstreet Boys!!!

At that time he was he was sucking up to the Backstreet Boys in a very similar manner to how he now does to all things Jovi! A few months? later he posted another video saying he was wrong and all was right in the Jovi world again. It was all very strange..

Pardon me, but what the f*ck?

rolo_tomachi 12-02-2020 11:03 PM

I think it's time to leave the guy alone. We all love this band in different ways.

liljovi93 12-02-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicanio (Post 1270863)

What's this?! Didn't know that.

I have had A LOT of run ins with Jerry. As a person away from Bon Jovi, he seems like a very nice fella. He has messaged me recently to ask how I'm getting on as I'm self employed and gyms are shut here so to get a message a couple of times was extremely nice and some of my best friend's haven't even done that.

On the other hand, when it comes to Bon Jovi, he is way too defensive for my liking. He reminds me of when I was in school and somebody would say something bad about the band and I'd get defensive.

When we done the podcast, he asked me not to say anything negative about the band. I told him I'll just be honest as always but I don't intentionally plan on bashing the band as I'm the 'host'

I've said for a long time now that I think he is on the pay roll. If Phil X does a Q&A, he replies to a load of his questions. If Matt does a tweet about the runaway tours, Jerry replies and Matt will respond to him. He got told he could be in the Q&A with Jon. Along with the same faces as always. I guessed 5/6 faces would be on it before I even seen any of the videos.

I don't care if he likes Shine as a top 10 song or anything like that as we all have different opinions in that sense but when he's bashing someone I consider a friend for posting a video, I don't agree with it. Dominik has done a lot for all of us over the years and I'm sure Jerry and the rest have watched at least one show from his channel. The way he handled it by tweeting to Matt was not needed and it just proved to me that he has some sort of influence in the Bon Jovi camp.

As I said, he seems a really nice guy and I do sometimes feel sorry for him because I do think he has some sort of underlying issues with his obsession. Taking photos in shops with Bon Jovi CDs, holding his laptop with the On A Night Like This show and 'chatting' to fans, praising the band constantly is just very child like in my eyes and something isn't right. I just don't agree with a lot of what he says/does.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 12-03-2020 12:45 AM

I can see both sides to this debate.

All Fans Are Welcome (regardless of how they express their fandom).

I think as fans, we should share. It's not like an MP3 copy holds any true value so what's the point of hoarding stuff for yourself... it's kinda pointless...

However when it comes to new releases, I think the novelty should wear off before things are shared publicly. People do spend money on these things so giving them some time to digest things is nice.

On the flip side, HAND90 was not the first one to post the songs. A few others posted them hours before and they were out long enough for anyone paying attention to snag a copy for themselves. All HAND90 did was repost them with some very well appreciated enhancements.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Dicanio 12-03-2020 12:49 AM

I guess Rolo is right, we are all fans who like the band in our own different ways. The video that Jerry posted (must be at least 5 years back) was primarily about the cost of everything Jovi related and how it didn’t give value compared to other bands. He spoke from the heart and a lot of what he said has been echoed here for years. Then suddenly a while later he flipped back into everything is “incredible” mode again.

It’s such a shame Doms YouTube channel has been taken down. As someone else said, there was probably better live content on there than anything about to be released from the fanclub. You’d have thought by now at least one live show would have been released?

Javier 12-03-2020 01:30 AM

So many people undermining how talented and diverse of a player Phil X actually is. Sure what comes naturally to him is the Drills stuff but the dude has great feel and would be able to bring a much more musical approach to the songs that goes beyond the echoey 5ths that Shanks is so keen on repeating. Go and listen to his session work to get an idea on what the guy can do! Sure he's no Richie but he's not supposed to be, and he has this annoying habit of not holding the notes long enough live but I really do think more creative input from him and Dave is exactly what the band needs. And I'll never buy that "he doesn't fit" saying. He fits in perfectly to me. And I don't dislike Shanks at all, I like a lot of what he's done.....

Captain_jovi 12-03-2020 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1270873)
So many people undermining how talented and diverse of a player Phil X actually is. Sure what comes naturally to him is the Drills stuff but the dude has great feel and would be able to bring a much more musical approach to the songs that goes beyond the echoey 5ths that Shanks is so keen on repeating. Go and listen to his session work to get an idea on what the guy can do! Sure he's no Richie but he's not supposed to be, and he has this annoying habit of not holding the notes long enough live but I really do think more creative input from him and Dave is exactly what the band needs. And I'll never buy that "he doesn't fit" saying. He fits in perfectly to me. And I don't dislike Shanks at all, I like a lot of what he's done.....

I will say that I hope Shanks drops the dreamy,echo-y reverb sound soon, it's way over-done. Works in some cases but really repetitive. And I adore Phil's Beautiful Drug solo. I wish Brothers in Arms had a more complex solo then just repeating that riff again and again.

Litneg 12-03-2020 02:18 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I wish we could see Phil and David more involved in the whole process.

YOVANAfromPeru 12-03-2020 04:34 AM

I gotta say my favorite song in The Circle is Brokenpromiseland (Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, John Shanks and Desmond Child).

steel_horse75 12-03-2020 08:39 AM

2020: The New Album

There’s a couple of other bootleg video sites still going one being Jovi bootlegs, if any anyone needs there live Jovi fix.

I’ve suspected what @liljovi93 has said re Jerry and being on Bon Jovis pay roll. He gets info way before it’s in the public domain like dates of releases, changes to track lists.
He is definitely a Bon Jovi influencer. No one could be that positive and have so much info about everything the band do.
Some of the info he puts out you think how would you know that without being involved with the band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xavi 12-03-2020 11:09 AM

3 days out of the board and what I missed!
I saw the other day that tweet to Matt asking to remove the videos but didnt knkw that behind that Jovi fan account was Jerry.
That guy is not right in the head.It is clear that he is mentally unbalanced.
If I was on the Jovi camp Id be careful about him.
A person whos life is only say everything BJ does is perfect,who has no sense of criticism is nothing but a fanatic in the bad sense of the word,like the religious fanatics.
Ive blocked him a long time ago.

Thinny 12-03-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

The problem for me is that Richie's playing was completely based on the blues, and that always shone through, whatever he style was playing. I hear zero blues in Phil's playing. He's a fantastic player no doubt, but I think the foundations of what the Bon Jovi guitar sound was is missing.

However, I completely agree that letting him get more involved in the creative process would be a game changer, and maybe force Bon Jovi 2.0 to create their own sound, rather than a continuation of the bland, generic sound we've had for the last few records. Though 2020 was a step in the right direction on that front, sound wise, it needs to be taken much further and Phil could definitely be the key in that...

jovifan93 12-03-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1270883)
The problem for me is that Richie's playing was completely based on the blues, and that always shone through, whatever he style was playing. I hear zero blues in Phil's playing. He's a fantastic player no doubt, but I think the foundations of what the Bon Jovi guitar sound was is missing.

However, I completely agree that letting him get more involved in the creative process would be a game changer, and maybe force Bon Jovi 2.0 to create their own sound, rather than a continuation of the bland, generic sound we've had for the last few records. Though 2020 was a step in the right direction on that front, sound wise, it needs to be taken much further and Phil could definitely be the key in that...

That's true, but based on his Drills stuff, I'm not sure I would want to hear that. I prefer blues or "bland" stuff as you call it...

liljovi93 12-03-2020 04:04 PM

It's a strange one with Phil, I think. He's clearly a very talented guitar player and when he's let loose (Keep The Faith, Always etc...) he does add a lot. However, for current Bon Jovi, I do think Shanks is suited to the style of music more. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beautiful Drug solo but even that one seems a little forced. The melodies to Blood In The Water & Luv Can are some of my favourite guitar work from the band in a long time and all of them seemed to be Shanks. The outro to Story Of Love was superb.

Same with Burning Bridges. I loved the guitar work on the album even though we didn't get a spectacular solo or anything. It just seemed more fitting.

Yet when I go to a live show, I do love when Phil X has a bit about him. Strange.

Captain_jovi 12-03-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1270885)
It's a strange one with Phil, I think. He's clearly a very talented guitar player and when he's let loose (Keep The Faith, Always etc...) he does add a lot. However, for current Bon Jovi, I do think Shanks is suited to the style of music more. Don't get me wrong, I like the Beautiful Drug solo but even that one seems a little forced. The melodies to Blood In The Water, Luv Can and Let It Rain are some of my favourite guitar work from the band in a long time and all of them seemed to be Shanks.

Same with Burning Bridges. I loved the guitar work on the album even though we didn't get a spectacular solo or anything. It just seemed more fitting.

Yet when I go to a live show, I do love when Phil X has a bit about him. Strange.

This is my take on it too, yeah. I could see live, Shanks's playing is less impressive. It services the song well but in a live setting what he does doesn't have the energy and excitement when Richie was on his game. Phil brings that youthful faster playing.

It's a tricky tightrope to walk this late in the game.

Thinny 12-03-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1270884)
That's true, but based on his Drills stuff, I'm not sure I would want to hear that. I prefer blues or "bland" stuff as you call it...

I'm no fan of The Drills. I tried, I just couldn't get in to it. But as a player Phil X is much more than just that stuff. He wouldn't be writing the tunes himself like he does with The Drills either, just complimenting what Jon does, and maybe making it a little more diverse.