Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

YOVANAfromPeru 02-05-2020 06:15 PM

I gotta say I preferred the Unbroken video with JBJ only. I hate when Phil X appears on the videos. And of course, I don't like either Shanks and Everett and even Hugh. The perfect videos in my book were those with Richie and Alec *crying*.

Captain_jovi 02-05-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1261298)
Jon being untalented - I definitely wouldn't agree with this. Jon making too little out of his capabilities in terms of songwriting (at the moment)? Yes.
Jon currently being the one of the "band" with the least musical capabilities on stage? Yes.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

I guess, yeah. He wrote the melodies, he's singing (barely) the melodies and writing the songs. Like or hate the songs, dude has talent.

robknowles1978 02-05-2020 10:44 PM

At the end of the day, throughout most of the 80s and 90s and 00s the ‘band’ was all about JBJ. He was the poster boy. He sold the records. It wasn’t about the guitarist, bassist or drummer. Bon Jovi was essentially Jon to most of the mainstream music buying people.

It still is... whoever is playing guitar, whoever is playing bass... doesn’t really matter at all. It has always been a focal point for the guy at the front.

With rock bands, always has been the same. Guns N Roses... Axl Rose... Aerosmith... Steven Tyler... Poison... Brett Michaels... It’s always been about the guy at the front. That’s who gets the attention, and for the most part, JBJ has got that.

I went to see them at Coventry last year, yeah... it wasn’t the Jon I saw in 2003, or the one at Kentish Town Forum in 1998ish, but the 30,000 people came out having an amazing night and enjoyed every bar and every song.

Am I looking forward to the next album. **** yeah... JBJs music has been pretty much the soundtrack through my life. From These Days onwards. I can’t wait...THINFS... let’s see what’s next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 02-05-2020 11:06 PM

It's all good to be hopeful and positive but the band, Richie especially, had so much to do with how the band sounded and got where they are. Richie's name and style is all over those hits.

Alphavictim 02-05-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robknowles1978 (Post 1261302)
With rock bands, always has been the same. Guns N Roses... Axl Rose... Aerosmith... Steven Tyler... Poison... Brett Michaels... It’s always been about the guy at the front. That’s who gets the attention, and for the most part, JBJ has got that.

JBJ got that, yeah, but Aerosmith without Joe Perry were a cluster****, and Guns & Roses got a TON of attention when Slash returned. It was hailed an "all original reunion" even when it was just Slash and Duff. I don't see BJ magically drawing the numbers G&R are getting right now when Richie returns.

BJ were - LOOK AT THE NAME! - always more about the front man than these two bands. In terms of image and draw, that is. Not in terms of musical contributions - the guy from G&R who was as important as Richie was in terms of WRITING was Izzy.

Bret Michaels became the face of Poison when he did his silly reality TV show; that band also sunk like a rock when CC Deville bailed.

rolo_tomachi 02-06-2020 02:30 AM

Ok, but no only Jon is BJ. Bon Jovi represent one band too. This aint a solo artist. Always was a band. And i miss these feels. Now Jon underrate to Richie in every interview, but he was more that a guitarrist in the band. Sad. Jon could be more respectful or shut up about that.

Supersonic 02-06-2020 07:14 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261301)
I guess, yeah. He wrote the melodies, he's singing (barely) the melodies and writing the songs. Like or hate the songs, dude has talent.

Yeah, but if you're not using your talent you'll eventually lose it. Jon Bon Jovi hasn't written a great song in well over a decade, it's been close to 10 years since the band did a quality show, his frontman qualities have diminished by a lot and as far as mucianship everyone on stage is better at what they're doing than he is. So the least talented? Absolutely. Jon's biggest talent nowadays I'd say is milking his fanbase and pretending he cares. He's very good at that, but it also says something about the audience still falling for his worn out tricks.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Jack27 02-06-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1261308)
Aloha !

Yeah, but if you're not using your talent you'll eventually lose it. Jon Bon Jovi hasn't written a great song in well over a decade, it's been close to 10 years since the band did a quality show, his frontman qualities have diminished by a lot and as far as mucianship everyone on stage is better at what they're doing than he is. So the least talented? Absolutely. Jon's biggest talent nowadays I'd say is milking his fanbase and pretending he cares. He's very good at that, but it also says something about the audience still falling for his worn out tricks.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I'd say it's a bit harsh to say that he hasn't written a great song in 10 years.

I was however of the same impression as Jon being the weakest performer on stage...until I went to Wembley last year. I've been to many shows previously and had obviously seen videos from the THINFS tour, so was anxious about seeing his decline...but I was still amazed by the guy. Ok - his voice wasn't as strong...and live less-noticeable...but he has a presence, a charisma, a work ethic and still everyone in the band was looking up to Jon, and not because he's "the boss". As a frontman they really don't come much better and he works his ass off - not just his interaction with the crowd but he still wants to give his all. I can't judge for other shows on the tour because I wasn't there, but from Wembley that was very apparent.

bonjovi90 02-06-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261303)
It's all good to be hopeful and positive but the band, Richie especially, had so much to do with how the band sounded and got where they are. Richie's name and style is all over those hits.

Jon's always had a knack for catchy melodies and that's the one thing I think he's really kept. But at their height, a combination of melody, lyrics and musicianship made Bon Jovi songs stand out from the sea of rock and pop.
Nowadays:
- The lyrics have very much resorted to the moon, june, spoon rhyme scheme that Jon used to mock himself like 20 years ago. Sure, there's never been the poetical lyric resort like you'd get it with Dylan, Springsteen or Isakov. But the lyrics, even though there had always been a cheesy side to them, rang true and spoke to fans. Nowadays, they've become way too repretitive and predictable for most parts. I remember back when The Fighter was played, Seb saying that for every decent line these days you'd get one cringeworthy one as well. Even Unbroken which had been hailed as lyrical masterpieces at some places, essentially is Jon reciting some statistics he'd probably been given for the documentary and interspersing the typcial cliché lines inbetween.
- The music had never been far on the experimental side, but even well after their prime, the tight musicianship between Richie, Dave, Tico and Hugh made standard tracks interesting and identifiable due to little things they all brought up with their talent. Nowadays, good melodies are wrapped in generic pop songs that, for the most part, blend into one big blur when listening to them in a row.

rickysambo 02-06-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1261298)
Jon being untalented - I definitely wouldn't agree with this. Jon making too little out of his capabilities in terms of songwriting (at the moment)? Yes.
Jon currently being the one of the "band" with the least musical capabilities on stage? Yes.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Obviously I'm talking about today. Back in the day, he was the man!