Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Mysterytrain 07-02-2013 08:55 PM

Just saw this; Nikki says she and Richie are *NOT* dating:

http://rumorfix.com/2013/07/is-richi...er-nikki-lund/

Sissy3 07-02-2013 09:06 PM

Still think it's friends w/benefits. Her benefit being the money he throws into her fashionline, his being.......getting to wear porkpie hats as a fashion statement. :D

Kathleen 07-02-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1144124)
Yep. Listen to The Fighter and listen to songs from the grey summer and early '94. It's such a Jon song I'm shocked people aren't falling in love with it.

Geeze Matt, this is exactly what I see and hear too. Listen to Destination Anywhere (the album) and you will hear what Jon likes to write. I happen to LOVE The Fighter. I don't think this style has anything to do with wanting to be Bruce, I think that is Jon at his best. Listen to Whole Lot of Leavin', some of Jon's best writing in my opinion, and one of the best tracks on Lost Highway.

I do believe that is where his heart lies "these days" and it may be why THAT album was so damn good.

crashed 07-02-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvistico (Post 1144135)
Do what you do best... unfortunately for jon he will never be able to compete in the category of singer songwriter stuff. If he loves cohen en damien rice but just as these guys would be lousy at songs as prayer, wanted, ktf or bed of roses , jon is lousy when doing those kind of songs

How is Jon lousy when doing them? He's a better songwriter than most of them, so long as he actually writes from the heart.

The Rock 07-02-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvistico (Post 1144135)
Do what you do best... unfortunately for jon he will never be able to compete in the category of singer songwriter stuff. If he loves cohen en damien rice but just as these guys would be lousy at songs as prayer, wanted, ktf or bed of roses , jon is lousy when doing those kind of songs

True, he would never have the same success as those guys or even be successful himself as he was with Bon Jovi, if he struck with that type of music. I still think that is where his heart lies. If he could grab his guitar and just write without thinking of being the best of whatever list, then we could hear some great music.

Kiwi78 07-02-2013 11:16 PM

I love the fighter. I love the vulnerability of it and that's exactly what type of songs I love from Jon. I agree with a lot of what has been said. He really can write amazing songs when it comes down to it.

He has the ability for such great lyrics, one that always stood out in my mind was that line from that DA song, "You know these love letters mix with whisky. Just don't light a match when you kiss me."

Fab writing, right there.

Bon Jovi is his "commercial" life - I have always thought that his JBJ and friends gigs that he does which are just a couple of Bon Jovi songs and a bunch of covers would have been better utilized for his own stuff. But again he's fallen to the commercial nature of it I guess.

bjcrazycpa 07-03-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi78 (Post 1144159)
I love the fighter. I love the vulnerability of it and that's exactly what type of songs I love from Jon. I agree with a lot of what has been said. He really can write amazing songs when it comes down to it.

He has the ability for such great lyrics, one that always stood out in my mind was that line from that DA song, "You know these love letters mix with whisky. Just don't light a match when you kiss me."

Fab writing, right there.

Agree with everyone who says the solo Jon are what Jon likes to write and are his most sincere and introspective.

Jayster 07-03-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1144146)
How is Jon lousy when doing them? He's a better songwriter than most of them, so long as he actually writes from the heart.

I would say Leonard Cohen a better lyric writer though.

JBJ's best for me is Dry County, Bed of Roses, Always, Something to Believe In & Blaze of Glory.

Recently he has penned some turds like Wildflower.

But Cohen has Everybody Knows, First We Take Manhattan, I'm Your Man, Hallelujah and hundreds more.

I suppose they just have different styles.

Slakk 07-03-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1144072)
Again, I agree 100%. And to make this "fair and balanced" I did not give a shit about Jon's Philadelphia Soul Football Team. I don't watch football and I don't care about it and Christ himself could have owned that football team let alone JBJ and I would not have cared about it.

Blasphemy I know, especially to the football lovers here. But the point is that I am a fan of the music, and Richie's day job (as Jon likes to call it) is music - not fashion.

And exactly why David - despite being the new darling of Broadway. Is still out touring. Day job comes first - or it should.

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 03:37 AM

Jon wrote a couple of nice lyrics in his life, no question. They are not spraying with originality though and if you actually listened to the people you compare him to, those lyrics aren't even that good.

To even bring up Jon Bon in the same list as Dylan, Cohen, Waits or Springsteen is just painting your own little dreamworld. And don't get me wrong - he's got his moments of magic, I absolutely agree. But as soon as he gets introspective from a more philosophical point of view, there's almost always something that is forced, unnatural, non-sensical. You know, like that sink full of dishes cringeworthy stuff.

Listen to "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" by Tom Waits. That song alone will bring your whole 'Ohh JBJ is sooo amazing' little groupie fits back with the feet on the ground.

Having said that - some of the best Bon Jovi songs were when Jon tried to be a bit more like these guys. As Kathleen said, Whole Lot Of Leaving is imo one of the best tracks Bon Jovi pulled out in recent years. And since I doubt that Jon is able to write proper big-chorus rockers anymore, you know, the type of rockers he was the best at writing, I'd rather he chased Springsteen and Cohen than the Killers and Matchbox 20.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1144141)
Geeze Matt, this is exactly what I see and hear too. Listen to Destination Anywhere (the album) and you will hear what Jon likes to write. I happen to LOVE The Fighter. I don't think this style has anything to do with wanting to be Bruce, I think that is Jon at his best. Listen to Whole Lot of Leavin', some of Jon's best writing in my opinion, and one of the best tracks on Lost Highway.

I do believe that is where his heart lies "these days" and it may be why THAT album was so damn good.

Wholeheartedly agree. Whole Lot of Leavin' is one of their best tracks ever in my view. It might not work live but the honesty and vulnerability in that song is something badly lacking in the likes of WWBTF and WAN.

Not Running Anymore and The Fighter are excellent too in my view. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when Jon and Richie come together to write these days, the result is often far worse than when they write for themselves. Both of them are guilty of churning out the stuff most people agree is shite. On their own, they are still capable of writing classics.

Idea for next album (if Richie comes back) - lock both of them in different rooms for six months and when they re-appear, take the best 6 songs that both have managed to produce and there's a classic 12 song album. Hell, that idea will work even if they are still at each others throats.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1144230)
Jon wrote a couple of nice lyrics in his life, no question. They are not spraying with originality though and if you actually listened to the people you compare him to, those lyrics aren't even that good.

To even bring up Jon Bon in the same list as Dylan, Cohen, Waits or Springsteen is just painting your own little dreamworld. And don't get me wrong - he's got his moments of magic, I absolutely agree. But as soon as he gets introspective from a more philosophical point of view, there's almost always something that is forced, unnatural, non-sensical. You know, like that sink full of dishes cringeworthy stuff.

Listen to "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" by Tom Waits. That song alone will bring your whole 'Ohh JBJ is sooo amazing' little groupie fits back with the feet on the ground.

Having said that - some of the best Bon Jovi songs were when Jon tried to be a bit more like these guys. As Kathleen said, Whole Lot Of Leaving is imo one of the best tracks Bon Jovi pulled out in recent years. And since I doubt that Jon is able to write proper big-chorus rockers anymore, you know, the type of rockers he was the best at writing, I'd rather he chased Springsteen and Cohen than the Killers and Matchbox 20.

I agree with you that Jon is nowhere near as good a lyricist as a Dylan or Cohen but Jon has an ability to write songs that most people can relate to in a way that those artists don't.

A lot of the songs on Destination Anywhere feel like honest songs that came from inside Jon rather than a bunch of cliches shoehorned into a wannabe anthemic tune. At various points in my life, it's felt like Jon has written about me in them. I've never felt that listening to say Blood on The Tracks which I appreciate, and love, for a whole load of different reasons.

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1144141)

I LOVE Whole Lotta Leavin' - and I'm not sure it's the actual songwriting that's the problem, but more the production perhaps that makes it feel less believable than many other artists in the same field.
I'm a huge country music fan - and some of the stuff there is so much more genuinely heartfelt and moving. But then I'd love to know the last time a Bon Jovi record was recorded with a full band, in a room, vibing off each other.
That's what I think's missing - a vibe. It's too polished. Even when it's "stripped back".

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 09:57 AM

Sorry to immediately repost, but -

Jon is a great songwriter. Can't dispute that.

However, why oh why is he ripping off other artists when he should be carving his own niche?

WAN had 3 song rip off issues (at least) that bother me:

1- The most ridiculous, open and shut legal case:
Beautiful World = Matchbox 20's How Far We've Come

2- What About Now:
Horrendous theft of a Killers guitar melody. And the title's nicked from a Daughtry song.

3- Room At The End Of The World:
Now, maybe I'm missing a greater reference in pop culture or somewhere, but this is a word for word rip off of the Matt Nathanson song, from his 2011 album.

These guys used to write great original songs - and while plenty of lyric ideas have always been pinched from other artists (compare some of the earlier BJ stuff to Bruce's even earlier stuff, lyrically) - and they used to invent such great titles. You Give Love A Bad Name, for example.

They seem to be too occupied on staying current and being like others that they've almost forgotten what it's like to be themselves....

RonJovi 07-03-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ?YesPlease (Post 1144251)
Sorry to immediately repost, but -

Jon is a great songwriter. Can't dispute that.

However, why oh why is he ripping off other artists when he should be carving his own niche?

WAN had 3 song rip off issues (at least) that bother me:

1- The most ridiculous, open and shut legal case:
Beautiful World = Matchbox 20's How Far We've Come

2- What About Now:
Horrendous theft of a Killers guitar melody. And the title's nicked from a Daughtry song.

3- Room At The End Of The World:
Now, maybe I'm missing a greater reference in pop culture or somewhere, but this is a word for word rip off of the Matt Nathanson song, from his 2011 album.

These guys used to write great original songs - and while plenty of lyric ideas have always been pinched from other artists (compare some of the earlier BJ stuff to Bruce's even earlier stuff, lyrically) - and they used to invent such great titles. You Give Love A Bad Name, for example.

They seem to be too occupied on staying current and being like others that they've almost forgotten what it's like to be themselves....

Agree on some of this but they have always churned out song titles that are hardly original:

I'd Die For You
I'll Be There For You
Keep The Faith
These Days
It's My Life

etc. etc.

Bepded 07-03-2013 10:12 AM

Has anyone posted this Richies tweet yet ??

" Hey all, to those who saw that interview from the fashion show it was about my hopes. Nothing's really happening yet..."

He is looking sillier by the day. He should really really shut up and get on with things. Instead of saying something and then going to Twitter with the if's and the but's .... Jon is winning this hands down (maturity wise)

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ?YesPlease (Post 1144251)
S

Great example. If only it wasn't a Bonnie Tyler rip-off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...o67DtZAY#t=57s

Edit: Here's Desmond Child basically telling how he actually ripped it off with Jovi!

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1144257)

Edit: Here's Desmond Child basically telling how he actually ripped it off with Jovi!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEdyI9o5k8

Kill me now....

That's just ruined my whole belief system.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1144257)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEdyI9o5k8

Christ on a bike...never heard that before. This is as much a rip off as Beautiful World.

Really makes you wonder, even more, how much input Jon and Richie had into YGLABN and LOAP.

nickolai 07-03-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bepded (Post 1144254)
Has anyone posted this Richies tweet yet ??

" Hey all, to those who saw that interview from the fashion show it was about my hopes. Nothing's really happening yet..."

He is looking sillier by the day. He should really really shut up and get on with things. Instead of saying something and then going to Twitter with the if's and the but's .... Jon is winning this hands down (maturity wise)

Yeah let's keep on topic. Richie is a ****ing idiot. "I love the fans, I love the band". Bollocks. If he did he would try to resolve with Jon whatever the problem is, but he choses to ponce around with some no good dolly bird in L.A. trying to act 30 years younger. This Richie mess strikes the guy is having a mid life crisis. Seriously every time that dickhead opens his mouth it makes me more angry and resentful of the band.

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144265)
Christ on a bike...never heard that before. This is as much a rip off as Beautiful World.

Really makes you wonder, even more, how much input Jon and Richie had into YGLABN and LOAP.

"Christ on a bike". That's made my morning! HAHA.

Having heard the early demos of LOAP, I can see why Jon wouldn't have thought it would've been a hit, to be fair!

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144265)

Hah! I thought that's common knowledge really. That's why I was surprised somebody would give Bad Name as an example for originality (even if it was just the title).

Having said that - the guitar riff and the solo make that song stand out...so, getting back on topic, credit to Richie there. It's just your average pop song if it wasn't for Mr. Sambora.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1144269)
Hah! I thought that's common knowledge really. That's why I was surprised somebody would give Bad Name as an example for originality (even if it was just the title).

Having said that - the guitar riff and the solo make that song stand out...so, getting back on topic, credit to Richie there. It's just your average pop song if it wasn't for Mr. Sambora.

Good point. And I'm sure Jon did come up with the "Shot Through The Heart" bit given the song of the same name on the first album.

Sort of makes you wonder though. The way Jon tells the story, from memory, is that he came up with that line and the song flowed from there. Doesn't he say (or am I imagining it) that Desmond just polished the songs that him and Richie wrote? If so, it sounds as big a lie as "Max Martin was just in the room when we wrote It's My Life".

Forget staying on topic btw, the Richie stuff is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

DevilsSon 07-03-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144274)
Good point. And I'm sure Jon did come up with the "Shot Through The Heart" bit given the song of the same name on the first album.

Sort of makes you wonder though. The way Jon tells the story, from memory, is that he came up with that line and the song flowed from there. Doesn't he say (or am I imagining it) that Desmond just polished the songs that him and Richie wrote? If so, it sounds as big a lie as "Max Martin was just in the room when we wrote It's My Life".

Forget staying on topic btw, the Richie stuff is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Those are all 'myths' and legends. Jon & Richie claim a lot more credit for those two songs than they deserve. They are clearly Desmond's songs. If you look at the interview, he used to be asked by record producers to make a song sound like X or like Y and he'd just do that. If anything, Jon and Richie polished up a little the songs that Desmond Child wrote. At least on Slippery. I am sure it became more of an equal partnership later on, especially with songs like Keep The Faith.

Having said that, I am not discrediting the band by any means, especially from an instrumental perspective. The bass line to prayer, the talk-box riff, the solos, hell - even the drumming. All were out of this world. A song is as much as it is, four of the same chords, a little melody and some lyrics. It really comes alive in the studio - that's why both Prayer and Bad Name are fantastic.

Ollie 07-03-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayster (Post 1144212)
I would say Leonard Cohen a better lyric writer though.

JBJ's best for me is Dry County, Bed of Roses, Always, Something to Believe In & Blaze of Glory.

But Cohen has Everybody Knows, First We Take Manhattan, I'm Your Man, Hallelujah and hundreds more.

I suppose they just have different styles.

Leonard Cohen is a lyricist, poet, author.... He is a genious when it comes to the written and spoken word.... He is a on a completely different universe to Jon when it comes to songwriting... So much so that they shouldn't even be conpared... And I honestly think Jon would be first to admit this ;)

PatriciaSambora 07-03-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickolai (Post 1144267)
Yeah let's keep on topic. Richie is a ****ing idiot. "I love the fans, I love the band". Bollocks. If he did he would try to resolve with Jon whatever the problem is, but he choses to ponce around with some no good dolly bird in L.A. trying to act 30 years younger. This Richie mess strikes the guy is having a mid life crisis. Seriously every time that dickhead opens his mouth it makes me more angry and resentful of the band.

I'm wondering if Richie knows how disappointed his fans are with him (me included)

Gabriel Shoes 07-03-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayster (Post 1144212)

I'd include the entire Destination Anywhere on that "the best of list". Very good and deep lyrics on that album.

BJ?YesPlease 07-03-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1144284)
I'd include the entire Destination Anywhere on that "the best of list". Very good and deep lyrics on that album.

It certainly has it's moments, but while I'm a fan of Dave Stewart's work, I tend to think the production style on DA let's it down. One too many over-processed drum beats ;)

John.Drake 07-03-2013 03:16 PM

I'm seeing them live tonight and I don't really mind seeing Phil X, but I am very infuriated with the whole situation. At least it's not like what going on with Stone Temple Pilots though.

Gabriel Shoes 07-03-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ?YesPlease (Post 1144285)
It certainly has it's moments, but while I'm a fan of Dave Stewart's work, I tend to think the production style on DA let's it down. One too many over-processed drum beats ;)

Many people dislike the album because of that, I understand why. I'm not a fan of such genre but Destination (along with These Days) is my all time fav album.

JoviJovi 07-03-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.Drake (Post 1144287)
I'm seeing them live tonight and I don't really mind seeing Phil X, but I am very infuriated with the whole situation. At least it's not like what going on with Stone Temple Pilots though.

STP is heartbreaking.

Kathleen 07-03-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1144246)
I agree with you that Jon is nowhere near as good a lyricist as a Dylan or Cohen but Jon has an ability to write songs that most people can relate to in a way that those artists don't.

Just catching up here so this may be out of sequence.

The above quote says a lot to me. Both Dylan and Cohen (and to a lesser extent Springsteen) tend to be a bit above everyone. They are relating stories, experience and heartbreak. Jon at his best makes you FEEL those emotions.

Years ago I read something and I don't remember who said it or where it came from. But it stuck. Bruce appeals to your head and Jon appeals to your heart. I think that sums it up well. And it may explain why some of us are still loyal to this guy even when he puts out mediocre stuff.

Living_on_my_Hair 07-03-2013 08:54 PM

So, Richie's ''developing a TV show'' now according to the latest interview? Not going to hunt back through this thread, so can anyone give me the low-down on this? Fashion brands, TV shows.. he'll be on Big Brother next :/

jessycardy 07-03-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Living_on_my_Hair (Post 1144334)
So, Richie's ''developing a TV show'' now according to the latest interview? Not going to hunt back through this thread, so can anyone give me the low-down on this? Fashion brands, TV shows.. he'll be on Big Brother next :/

That's all we know/has been said about this. You're not missing anything. I guess we just have to wait and see what this TV show is all about.

So anyway... It's not really on topic, but in a way it is or could be, and this thread has become the unofficial Bon Jovi Bar anyway, so I'm gonna post this here.

From what I gathered, it should be new stuff. Ally Sheedy, Richie's old flame, spills (a lot of) beans about Richie, and time doesn't seem to have softened her bad feelings one tiny bit.

These are only the parts about Richie. As usual, you can find the entire interview at the link below.

Quote:

You met your husband, actor David Lansbury, doing an off-Broadway play. When was the first moment you realized you were attracted to each other?
I knew the minute I saw him I was in love… It was the first read-through. I went in and I thought, “Oh my God. Oh no. I’m in trouble now.”

And then it developed?
It developed for a while because he was actually still in a relationship with someone. So we were platonic until his other relationship ended. I had gone out with someone who cheated on me, and I didn’t want to go through something like that again.

Who was that?
Richie Sambora… He was clueless. Because he was just stoned all the time. He was a raging drug addict. I don’t know if he is any more or not, but he was then…
He once accused me of having left the bathroom window open so that my secret lover could meet me in his New Jersey house. This rampage went on all night about who left the bathroom window open, and who was I meeting in his bathroom? Because he had done so much cocaine that this was a reality to him. And it ended with him taking out a baseball bat and waving it in my face. What a dick.

How old were you when this happened?

Something must have drawn you to him initially.
When I first met him, when he’s not drunk, he’s kind of charming. He’s got this other personality that comes out. But when he starts drinking, his personality changes, so I didn’t get the “privilege” of seeing that dark personality until we had been dating a little while. And then he would get drunk and turn into this monster and not only not remember it the next day, the things he had said, but he would cop to it by telling me that it was my fault, that because I had done this, and I had done that, and I had done the other thing, and so he had to drink to deal with me. And somehow I ended up saying, “Oh I’m so sorry.” I was apologizing…
I went on tour with him, and it was this strange, dreamy, whirlwind kind of thing, where everybody is there because of this band, so if you’re having a problem with someone in the band, you’re the problem. Japan was the lowest point for me. There was another band called Ratt and they were playing first, and then Bon Jovi was playing. And two of the wives of members of Ratt were walking around backstage, and a couple of the guys who were working on the tour started to make comments about them, all sorts of really disgusting statements, sexual innuendo, calling them hookers or something like that. There was some big problem that happened, and they were really angry and talked to their husbands…
And Richie comes slamming into the hotel room completely ****ed up, “They shouldn’t have opened their ****ing mouths. These guys are on tour with us. We’re the big band. Ratt, their wives should just keep their ****ing mouths shut.” And basically that they’re all sluts, and deserve whatever treatment they got, and it’s Bon Jovi’s tour, and they didn’t have a right to complain that they were being treated that way. And I thought, “What am I doing here?” So that, and one other incident, and I got the next plane out…

****ing musicians, man. But they have an appeal.
Well he did, he had an appeal for 9 months, about as long as a pregnancy.

And then he came out.
Yeah. But I still hate him. I loathe and despise him…

Was your relationship with Woody Harrelson better than that one?
Yeah. I loved him. He was lovely. That was when he was still on Cheers. I met him at some environmental rally and I really liked him… Woody really needs someone who’s going to take care of him, and I was not that person. But I’m fond of him.

[...]

I guess we should talk about the movie.
I want to tell you one more dishy thing that I would never tell anybody else. I just love dishing with you! This is another “Can you believe this happened to me?” story. “Why did this happen?” When I was going through all that shit about Richie, the person who took me to Al-Anon meetings so I could deal with Richie’s problems was Heather Locklear… She was having problems with her husband at the time, who was Tommy Lee, and he was clean at that point. She took me to these Al-Anon meetings because she recognized how much pain I was going through over Richie…and I cried on her shoulder when he was dating Cher after me… As soon as I was out of the picture, and in rehab, safely locked up in rehab somewhere, he moved right on to Cher…

What were you in rehab for?
[Addiction to] Halcyon. It’s a sleeping pill. I first got it from Richie because he was on them. I very quickly became addicted to them… They had a bad effect on me because they leave your body really fast so you fall asleep really fast but then the next morning, you get very anxious, or at least I did. It wreaked havoc on me. I was on them for 4 months, 4 or 5 months, and I had to go to rehab to get off them. I couldn’t get off them without a doctor. Halcyon’s been banned in Europe. It’s a really dangerous drug. One of my other great legacies from Richie Sambora. Really wonderful. What am I doing in the rehab? Why am I in the rehab?

You needed rehab from Richie Sambora.
That was part of it. I thought, “I’m going to go somewhere where he will never be able to reach me even though he’s too chickenshit to talk to me, and I’ll break myself of this habit of Richie Sambora.” That was what I was in rehab for.
It really is odd, though, to have taken Halcyon for 4 months and end up in Hazelden, and see all these people who do massive amounts of drugs every day, walking around, and having people just supplying them with drugs, and functioning…

( http://www.amysohn.com/articles/new-...y-by-amy-sohn/ )

heart&dagger 07-03-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Sambora (Post 1144064)
Who knows- he may very well be torn on this issue. The birth of his baby or carry on with this world tour (what could be by far the highlight of his career). A bit like when footballers have to decide between a birth or cup final. Not a decision I envy having to make. It would depend on how understanding his wife is!

imo, Phil will not miss the birth of his child. Don't know how he will work it out, but he will be there for the birth and 4 a bit later, if not - forever.

Watching him, onstage, he does not seem that "comfortable" to me, a lot of the time. It's like he's so afraid he's going to do something "wrong" in Jon's eyes. It doesn't appear that he's all that crazy about most of Bon Jovi's music repertoire, either. Can't blame the guy for taking the leap for this tour, though. But, he's had an extremely long bachelor's party and I think it's growing old, especially with him being in his late 40s and expecting his first child.

Also, I think his band mates from "The Drills" are not happy with his extended absence. Phil seems to be a man of loyalty so he must be feeling extremely torn, but has made his choice because it could advance his career AND that of "The Drills" not to mention make a nice nest egg for his new baby and wife/family.

No, definitely, not an easy decision to make...

So, will money win, at the end of the day or will Phil pull out the loyalty card, both to his old "family" (The Drills) and to his "new family" (including baby Phil)? I'm betting on the loyalty card by the time the baby is due...

At the end of the day, it will all come down to how Phil decides to play that hand.

faith1985 07-03-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1144317)
Just catching up here so this may be out of sequence.

The above quote says a lot to me. Both Dylan and Cohen (and to a lesser extent Springsteen) tend to be a bit above everyone. They are relating stories, experience and heartbreak. Jon at his best makes you FEEL those emotions.

Years ago I read something and I don't remember who said it or where it came from. But it stuck. Bruce appeals to your head and Jon appeals to your heart. I think that sums it up well. And it may explain why some of us are still loyal to this guy even when he puts out mediocre stuff.

That sums it up really perfectly. But it would make it worse if Jon would pretend rather than actually mean it.

Sissy3 07-03-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessycardy (Post 1144349)
That's all we know/has been said about this. You're not missing anything. I guess we just have to wait and see what this TV show is all about.

So anyway... It's not really on topic, but in a way it is or could be, and this thread has become the unofficial Bon Jovi Bar anyway, so I'm gonna post this here.

From what I gathered, it should be new stuff. Ally Sheedy, Richie's old flame, spills (a lot of) beans about Richie, and time doesn't seem to have softened her bad feelings one tiny bit.

These are only the parts about Richie. As usual, you can find the entire interview at the link below.

How many decades has it been? And she still carries all that hate. I think she cared more for him than he did for her and it still pisses her off.

RonJovi 07-03-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissy3 (Post 1144382)
How many decades has it been? And she still carries all that hate. I think she cared more for him than he did for her and it still pisses her off.

Or maybe she is telling the truth. Certainly seems possible given what we know of Richie and some of the stuff he has said in interviews. This is a fella who turned up to gigs absolutely steaming drunk and who drove his daughter around pissed. The fella clearly has demons.

JackieBlue 07-03-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissy3 (Post 1144382)

That's an old interview. It crawls out of the woodwork every couple of years, though, through Google searches or alerts. I saw it several years ago, but according to the introduction it's probably about 16 years old. Ally is 51 now and the intro to the interview says she's 35.

ben 07-03-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessycardy (Post 1144349)

wow! what an article! didn't know all this stuff she said about Richie! is that a recent interview? I know she accused Richie for her drug addiction and Richie denied it. interesting though! thanks for posting!
btw I answered you in another thread about Milan earlier but never saw a response maybe cause that thread was deleted since I don't see it anymore here, sorry I missed it if you answered to me.. I'd love to know your answer though :) maybe you can post it again. :-)