Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "If That's What It Takes" anyone??? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45513)

KeepTheFaith2211 06-16-2008 08:55 PM

I like it, it's quite a good song but since someone mentioned it I think Hearts Breaking Even is better :)

Crushgen24/88 06-16-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBJEveryday (Post 841995)
May I ask why? I've noticed we normally have around the same taste.

I really can't pinpoint an exact reason, the two of them (and (It's Hard) Letting You Go) do absolutely nothing for me. I LOVE every other song on TD, but I think those three are bland, boring, and generally bad.....I'm weird like that.

Adam D 06-16-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 842003)
I really can't pinpoint an exact reason, the two of them (and (It's Hard) Letting You Go) do absolutely nothing for me. I LOVE every other song on TD, but I think those three are bland, boring, and generally bad.....I'm weird like that.

Fair enough, I think both songs sound a little similar and that put people off. I think the same with The Distance and Love Me Back To Life on Bounce.

Personally, I can identify with each and every lyric in both songs. Hearts is more of a downer song and is reminiscent of Aerosmith musically. Seeing that Desmond helped right this, it's no suprise that it has that slick, polished sound as he's written similar songs with Aerosmith. I guess it's kinda like your love for I Got The Girl being a big Petty fan.

If That's What It Takes is a song of hope I think and much more uplifting than Hearts. "I played the part of a broken heart upon a shelf, I played that part so lonely and so well I thought that love belonged to someone else..." It's like he's saying "Ok, I've taken the time to regroup and come to terms with my heart being completley shattered (Hearts Breaking Even) and I've met you. I'm willing to take the chance again."

God, the whole record means so much to me. I think a These Days album review is coming up.

Ang1e 06-16-2008 09:14 PM

love this song

Aris 06-16-2008 10:04 PM

Song is AMAZING. Every time I hear If That What It Takes, I always think of Hearts Breaking Even too. Those two go hand in hand on These Days. It is a shame that those are the only two song off of These Days that were never performed, here is to hoping the brush these two songs off during this tour. Very underrated.

Ashley_Lauren 06-16-2008 10:15 PM

it's not my favorite from These Days, but I enjoy hearing it. I don't skip it when it comes on.

Simon 06-16-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBJEveryday (Post 841964)
Changing the lyrics in the chorus the last time around is a nice touch as well. I think that's something older Jovi has over the newer stuff. There's hardly any varation in the choruses in the '000's.

Couldn't agree more! :-)

Though I love "If That's What It Takes", "Hearts Breaking Even" is my least favourite song from my all-time favourite album. It's flat compared to the other songs. Still it's excellent of course. I just don't see the similarity to ITWIT. But I agree on the Distance/Love Me Back To Life comparison.

Goldsausage 06-16-2008 11:52 PM

Love love love it.

Only wanted to say love once but the message was too short <_<

Sleep-When-Im-Dead 06-16-2008 11:59 PM

Good song, however i prefer hearts breaking even..that is a great song. Lets face it anything off these days is good:)

slippery89 06-17-2008 12:22 AM

Love the song.