Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Does Bon Jovi Never Play 'Thank You For Loving Me' Anymore (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52449)

Jovimimi 01-06-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1034570)
Have you all gone mad?

Best 2000+ ballad?

Good lyrics?

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes when I couldn't see for
Parting my lips when I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

It's like a fuking boy band song, cliché rubbish.

That's why they don't play it any more.

I kinda agree I have to cringe reading it's cliche but that's why it's so good ... I am not sure to be from the same planet
the song is ok for me not as bad as Save the world but come on the best ballad of the 2000 that's a shocking vision ....well I don't think their ballads are much powerful and original since the 2000 to be honest ....

schlochty 01-06-2011 07:16 PM

I've always had a soft spot for this song. I'd love to hear it live. Jon should be able to pull it off easily these days. Play it!

Roxannah 01-06-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1034570)
Have you all gone mad?

Best 2000+ ballad?

Good lyrics?

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes when I couldn't see for
Parting my lips when I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

It's like a fuking boy band song, cliché rubbish.

That's why they don't play it any more.

how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any cheesier than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

Jovimimi 01-06-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1034576)
how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any more cheesy than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

for me it is more cheesy more cliches Rosie but you are right though I'll be there for you is cheesy too .. the melody and the final result makes the difference ... the lyrics of the ballads have often been cliche material yes but the result is just cheap with TYFLM

Matrix15 01-06-2011 07:44 PM

Crush is ridiculously underplayed.

Capt Crash as a staple is ridiculous when you consider that TYFLM, TST, OWN and SIIS aren't played anymore.

ticos_stick 01-06-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1034576)
how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any cheesier than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

I can handle cheese, but TYFLM is an uninspired, run of the mill ballad.

There are plenty of better ballads with superior song writing and poetic integrity before and since.

Becky 01-06-2011 11:52 PM

I don't miss it. I'd rather hear a rock song than a ballad during the show so if they were going to pick up something from Crush, I'd prefer Just Older or Next 100 Years. Make a Memory is my favorite live ballad. I'd rather hear it than Thank You any day.

Butters 01-07-2011 12:58 AM

I have a lot of love for this song, and it's one I keep hoping will end up in a setlist again.

snowmass 01-07-2011 01:14 AM

Couldn't you say the same thing about a dozen other songs?

ajf33 01-07-2011 03:02 AM

Thank you for loving me will always have a place on my Bon Jovi Playlist owing to the memories of it being the last song played at the old Wembley. Wouldnt say it's much worse than any other Jovi ballads of the 00's and would love to hear it every now and again.