Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bon Jovi 2020 tour with Bryan Adams - Cancelled (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70675)

kleman 01-16-2020 09:10 AM

This video shows where's the difference between these two guys ;)

musiccritic101 01-16-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1260790)
I really hope Jon's ready. Having Bryan Adam's perform before you puts a lot of pressure on a vocalist. His voice live is awesome!!!,

I'm hoping since Bryan Adams is going to tour with Bon Jovi and we all know that Bryan Adams still has an amazing voice,that it might light a fire under Jon's ass to try something else to improve his live vocals.
I'm not saying Jon isn't doing anything to fix his voice,he's probably tried a lot of things since 2014 (post BWC Tour & vocal blowout) to get his voice back,I'm saying he could maybe consider dropping the key to certain songs or at least try a new vocal technique. Jon needs to at least try something else or Bryan Adams will outshine Jon at his own damn concert.

Elvistico 01-16-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

I really hope Jon's ready. Having Bryan Adam's perform before you puts a lot of pressure on a vocalist. His voice live is awesome!!!,

Absolutely

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Elvistico 01-16-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1260789)
Times and circumstances have changed considerably since they said that. Not even 10 years ago they could have foreseen what the music business is now. Even newer acts that are popular and contemporary do package tours. There's no shame in it anymore....

Funny. When Motley Crüe, Def Leppard and co announce their tour everybody goes like: wow, how amazing. When Bon Jovi announces this with Bryan Adams y'all go like: meh, they can't do it themselves anymore.

WILDJOVIMAN 01-16-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvistico (Post 1260828)
Funny. When Motley Crüe, Def Leppard and co announce their tour everybody goes like: wow, how amazing. When Bon Jovi announces this with Bryan Adams y'all go like: meh, they can't do it themselves anymore.

People don´t understand, B.A. can´t fill These venues in america any more. He Needs BJ not the other way round

Johny 01-16-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvistico (Post 1260828)

What's funny about it?

Bon Jvi were able to sell out the arenas in 2017 and 2018 by themselves. They've always been a bigger act, mainly because they've always been more mainstream and pop than Def Leppard or Motley Crue.

And we all know that neither Def Leppard nor Motley Crue would be able to sell out stadiums on their own. DL's biggest success in 20 years was the tour with Journey in 2018 - still co-headlining. Bon Jovi has always been a different league. Not anymore obviously. Given how much Jon "loves" beeing seen on the same level as his peers from the 80s and that nostalgia thing.

steel_horse75 01-16-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN (Post 1260829)
People don´t understand, B.A. can´t fill These venues in america any more. He Needs BJ not the other way round

He hasnt been able to sell these out since that tour in the summer of 69

Sorry!

WILDJOVIMAN 01-16-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1260831)
He hasnt been able to sell these out since that tour in the summer of 69

Sorry!

all is good :-) hehe

JackieBlue 01-16-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1260782)
Cheating their way to No 1 again!

With a twist. This time it looks like Bryan Adams' fans will be contributing to total record sales for a #1 debut.

Kevs 01-16-2020 07:12 PM

Poxy timing of shows. I am away in June so miss the west coast dates and flights to NY are too expensive in July from Dublin at present and unlikely to drop

Faceman 01-16-2020 07:29 PM

Or maybe it's all a big misconception and Bryan Adams isn't the support act but the new lead singer and Jon only plays rhythm guitar and sings backing vocals in a muted mic :D

bonjovi90 01-16-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1260849)
Or maybe it's all a big misconception and Bryan Adams isn't the support act but the new lead singer and Jon only plays rhythm guitar and sings backing vocals in a muted mic :D

That'd actually be perfect. That way he can work the crowd, smile and wave all the time and we'd still have good vocals on top of that [emoji28]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

manarosi 01-16-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1260850)
That'd actually be perfect. That way he can work the crowd, smile and wave all the time and we'd still have good vocals on top of that [emoji28]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

i'm going to be provocative now....what if jon himself decides to step aside, just from the vocals, and let do the job to someone else (maybe chris daughtry)? still writing his songs and still with the same band, just vocals....would u go to a concert like this?

rolo_tomachi 01-16-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1260814)
Even with a guitar around his neck Bryan moves around a lot more than Jon does without guitar. Nowadays there's no aspect where Jon is a better frontman.
And it doesn't matter if Bryan is allowed to use lights or videos. He would even kick Jon's ass by playing acoustic without PA in the afternoon sun.

I like the combo. If they tour Europe together as well (what I don't think will happen) I might consider buying a ticket for a Bon Jovi show for the first time since 2013.

Correct.

Bryan Adams - I Will Always Return (Live Toronto 2019)

The guy just needs an acoustic guitar and his voice.

He has an impressive energy. and his performances are great, Jon is going to look very lame.

And his band sounds tight, Bryan keeps holding Keith Scott, and Bon Jovi doesn't have Richie, which is another point against him.

Thinny 01-16-2020 11:37 PM

I'm glad somebody mentioned Keith Scott...he's a fantastic guitar player and hugely underratted!

Xavi 01-17-2020 10:58 AM

Theres no way Jon is a better frontman nowadays than Bryan or BJ puts a better show than Bryan.
NO WAY.
Bryan is in an awesome moment,he sings even better than in the 80's,and in his shows he does a part that any BJ fan would kill for a similar moment at a BJ show.
He does a 3 or 4 song request set where they can play any song you ask for,cause Bryan,Keith Scott and Mickey Curry are together for over 30 years.
Ive seen BJ and Bryan last year.
Bryan show was one of the best ones Ive ever seen
BJ show at Madrid was,probably,the worst show Ive ever been to.

Dave88 01-17-2020 03:05 PM

I've seen both last year as well, and here's my rank from best to worst:

1. Bryan Adams Milan
2. Bon Jovi Wembley
3. Bon Jovi Zurich

YOVANAfromPeru 01-17-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1260861)
BJ show at Madrid was,probably,the worst show Ive ever been to.

No one wants remember that show, get over it.

Tom_K 01-17-2020 06:18 PM

Same here, saw both last year. After the Bryan Adams concert I was impressed with how good he and the band are live. Especially the part where it's just him and the acoustic guitar. Awesome.

I saw Bon Jovi in Klagenfurt which was one of the better concerts on the tour. It was more of a check on the bucket list. I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed but it was bad. Luckily I was near the stage where the crowd were louder than Jon so the atmosphere was great but during the slower songs where the crowd is not as loud, it was awful. Richie was also greatly missed. Phil X is a great guy but he's nowhere near Richie at his prime or close to his prime. There wasn't any of the magic left so I don't think I would go see another Bon Jovi show in the shape and form they are now.

I'm glad I saw Richie in 2014 in Munich. He was past his prime but there were some moments where the magic was still there.

It will be interesting to see how fans react to Jon after Bryan's performance.

rocknation 01-17-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Having Bryan Adam's perform before you puts a lot of pressure on a vocalist. His voice live is awesome!!!

My problem with it is that if their idea of a comeback strategy is to show that they can OUT-rock Bryan Adams, it doesn't speak well for what's going to be on the album. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the band's idea: Bon Jovi's A-list days are very much behind them.

The bar has been lowered, and now it's been buried: welcome to Fat Elvis-stan, Jon!

P.S. Adams, a Canadian, is skipping two of the shows -- one in Las Vegas; the other in, uh, Canada.

Supersonic 01-17-2020 06:48 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1260856)
I'm glad somebody mentioned Keith Scott...he's a fantastic guitar player and hugely underratted!

Frankly, I disagree. Keith Scott is consistent but constantly plays from memory as opposed to playing from feel. Most of the guitar solo's he does are note for note replicas from the studio versions. Even his versions of It's Only Love, where he supposedly lets loose are rehearsed. They've started doing it this way about 20 years ago and the first few years were sloppy, full of bum notes and off tempo. Whenever he's put on the spot, which rarely happens in a Bryan Adams show, he really can't come up with anything other than some standard blues licks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1260861)
He does a 3 or 4 song request set where they can play any song you ask for,cause Bryan,Keith Scott and Mickey Curry are together for over 30 years.

Yeah... That's not really true though. Bryan Adams pretends to do requests but has made up his mind as to what songs he's going to play whenever he asks the crowd for suggestions. The requests he does are pretty much always songs that have been played to death the past tours, he's even gone as far as pretending a song like Heaven was a request. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Thinny 01-17-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1260870)
Frankly, I disagree. Keith Scott is consistent but constantly plays from memory as opposed to playing from feel. Most of the guitar solo's he does are note for note replicas from the studio versions. Even his versions of It's Only Love, where he supposedly lets loose are rehearsed. They've started doing it this way about 20 years ago and the first few years were sloppy, full of bum notes and off tempo. Whenever he's put on the spot, which rarely happens in a Bryan Adams show, he really can't come up with anything other than some standard blues licks.

Frankly, I disagree. ;) But we are all entitled to our opinions.

I'm not sure when or how playing like the album, or being rehearsed became a bad thing?

I've seen Bryan 10+ times and Keith has always been fantastic to me. But we all look for different things in music. Similarly to Richie, though lacking the bluesy flair, Keith is a player that plays for the song and doesn't feel the need to overplay (those kind of players were never for me). But he certainly had his moments to shine, check out the live version of Touch The Hand from the Waking Up The Neighbours/18 'Til I Die tour for instance (Unfortunatley they don't play that these days).

Keith is widely respected in the guitar playing community. so it's not like he's some sloppy hack, like you seem to suggest. In fact Eddie Van Halen once said that Keith was one of his favourite players.

Xavi 01-18-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1260870)
Aloha !

Yeah... That's not really true though. Bryan Adams pretends to do requests but has made up his mind as to what songs he's going to play whenever he asks the crowd for suggestions. The requests he does are pretty much always songs that have been played to death the past tours, he's even gone as far as pretending a song like Heaven was a request. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I see your point,but,anyway,despite many of the songs he plays at the request set had been played over the last tours,I would die for a similar set at a BJ show.
At my last December BA show he played "Ill Always Be Right There" and "The Best Of Me" ,songs that havent been played a lot on the last tours.
I get what you mean,its a request set,but the majority of the songs he played there are over played on the previous tours,and rehearsed,but ,sometimes you get a surprise that with Bon Jovi,since 2011,its impossible to get.
Since Richies departure,those kind of things are over in Bon Jovi.

Captain_jovi 01-18-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1260882)
I see your point,but,anyway,despite many of the songs he plays at the request set had been played over the last tours,I would die for a similar set at a BJ show.
At my last December BA show he played "Ill Always Be Right There" and "The Best Of Me" ,songs that havent been played a lot on the last tours.
I get what you mean,its a request set,but the majority of the songs he played there are over played on the previous tours,and rehearsed,but ,sometimes you get a surprise that with Bon Jovi,since 2011,its impossible to get.

It ain't Richie's departure that stopped Jon from doing new songs, it's Bobby's.

JackieBlue 01-18-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1260896)
It ain't Richie's departure that stopped Jon from doing new songs, it's Bobby's.

I personally think it's primarily because Jon has found a formula that gets him thru the night and he doesn't want to step outside of that. From the complaints I've read here, it seems like the variety was gone long before either of them left.

However, I do remember seeing Richie feeding Jon the lyrics and walking him thru the beginning of at least one fan request (STYG, iirc); and I remember one show where Richie started the intro on another request but Jon stopped him, and said something like, "no we ain't doing that... "

So I'm curious. If either of them actually does play a part in it, what makes you think it was Bobby' departure, more than Richie's, that keeps Jon from taking requests or doing songs that would be out of the ordinary?

Captain_jovi 01-18-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1260897)
I personally think it's primarily because Jon has found a formula that gets him thru the night and he doesn't want to step outside of that. From the complaints I've read here, it seems like the variety was gone long before either of them left.

However, I do remember seeing Richie feeding Jon the lyrics and walking him thru the beginning of at least one fan request (STYG, iirc); and I remember one show where Richie started the intro on another request but Jon stopped him, and said something like, "no we ain't doing that... "

So I'm curious. If either of them actually does play a part in it, what makes you think it was Bobby' departure, more than Richie's, that keeps Jon from taking requests or doing songs that would be out of the ordinary?

FWIW the one about Jon stopping Richie from doing that song he was playing it too, it felt like a weird bit.

Bobby was called the human jukebox for a reason. There were some rarer songs on I THINK it was The Circle tour where Bobby was the one playing instead of Richie (Santa Fe comes to mind). I think now it's even more work having Everett, Shanks and Phil learn a new song to throw in. That and Jon's voice.

bonjovi90 01-18-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1260896)

It's neither, it was Jon's voice that stopped him and his laziness of having to relearn to sing the songs since he obviously had to restudy the catalogue their currently playing in 2016/17. Hell, they played more rare songs in 2015 with Phil and Matt!
Richie didn't play Santa Fe because Jon decided to go for 2 solo songs on the Circle that night and hence gave Bobby a chance to shine, as soon as The Last Night started, Richie and Tico had joined them at the front.
I still stick to the opinion that Dave, Tico, Richie and Hugh knew the back catalogue better than Jon in that era and were rather ready to try to wing one of those songs (In And Out Of Love with acoustic guitars).
Jon calling Bobby the "human jukebox" was just a way to justify his presence as a guitar player and get him some applause. Yeah, they did a lot of cover songs there, but none were stuff that Richie couldn't have played either. They had done tons of Rolling Stones covers before and had even played Pretty Woman back in the day.

Captain_jovi 01-18-2020 08:31 PM

Maybe it more relates to his knowledge of cover songs then band songs.

Maybe I think because Bobby was a hired gun its a lot easier to tell to learn a song versus it being a discussion with Richie? Kind of like that video where you see Bobby rehearsing Bang a Drum because Jon "might want to play it tonight".

Javier 01-18-2020 08:40 PM

Bobby's departure threw a bigger curve ball to Jon than we give credit for. Sure if Jon was willing to play Diamond Ring or Wild is the Wind or Santa Fe any given night he could have the guys learn them and rehearse (god knows they do THAT enough). But Jon relied on Bobby a LOT, from Vocals to the songs being played a certain way when Richie wasn't feeling that. A lot of confidence was lost without the human jukebox....

JackieBlue 01-19-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1260898)
FWIW the one about Jon stopping Richie from doing that song he was playing it too, it felt like a weird bit.

Bobby was called the human jukebox for a reason. There were some rarer songs on I THINK it was The Circle tour where Bobby was the one playing instead of Richie (Santa Fe comes to mind). I think now it's even more work having Everett, Shanks and Phil learn a new song to throw in. That and Jon's voice.

Maybe that's why that bit jumped to my mind. It did feel a little weird.

I may have misunderstood the context. I thought we were discussing fans requesting songs the band had recorded; but I guess Jon probably gets requests for his solo stuff, too; and he may have been more comfortable with Bobby on those songs, possibly bc of the KOS shows. When Jon calls him the human jukebox, though, I've always assumed that was because Bobby could play any number of songs, in general, off the top of his head. From what I understand, Richie's pretty good at doing that, too; so I don't think either of them had anything to do with Jon not taking requests or changing up the setlist.

I still think it's mostly that Jon knows he can get by without going to the trouble of rehearsing unfamiliar songs or stepping outside his comfort zone. Or, as said, it could just be that his vocals aren't up to it.

Or any combination of the above. :D

Supersonic 01-19-2020 07:31 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1260882)

Oh, I agree with how Bryan Adams' setlists are now more diverse than your average Bon Jovi show. If he's smart he'll incorporate one of these fake requests in his support slot. Most people in attendance won't have a clue his requests are nonsense and it's easy to win over a crowd like that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1260871)
Frankly, I disagree. ;) But we are all entitled to our opinions.

I'm not sure when or how playing like the album, or being rehearsed became a bad thing?

It's not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't make you anything special either. Keith Scott is reliable but he's reliable exactly because he's only capable of playing a song the way he's recorded it and constantly does so. There's no spontanety in his solo's and if you constantly play something the same way you'll eventually lose the feel of it as well.

Your example of Touch The Hand shows this quite well. Most of the licks he does are easy and constant repeats, there's an endless list of bum notes in that solo and once he does something impressive he always follows it up with the same long note, incapable of constructing one thing to the other. His timing is just so off during his improvisations it makes it hard to listen to once you notice it. I'm not saying he's a sloppy hack but he's hardly memorable or underrated either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1260898)

Going by what Bobby Bandiera's played when he was in Bon Jovi he's as much of a human jukebox as your average fan playing guitar in his bedroom. It's not Bandiera leaving what's caused this band to stop playing different sets, it's because Jon has to relearn how to sing every song and he refuses to do so as the current 20 are enough of a struggle already. I've no idea why people think it's that hard for a musician to learn how to play a song, especially when it's a Bon Jovi song. Bobby wasn't playing Santa Fe because Richie couldn't, Bobby was playing because Richie couldn't be arsed.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Thinny 01-19-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1260912)
It's not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't make you anything special either. Keith Scott is reliable but he's reliable exactly because he's only capable of playing a song the way he's recorded it and constantly does so. There's no spontanety in his solo's and if you constantly play something the same way you'll eventually lose the feel of it as well.

Your example of Touch The Hand shows this quite well. Most of the licks he does are easy and constant repeats, there's an endless list of bum notes in that solo and once he does something impressive he always follows it up with the same long note, incapable of constructing one thing to the other. His timing is just so off during his improvisations it makes it hard to listen to once you notice it. I'm not saying he's a sloppy hack but he's hardly memorable or underrated either.

Can't really add much to what I've already said. I've always enjoyed his playing and that's enough for me. I've never really been into technically accurate players, as most seem to lack the relevant emotion and feeling in their playing. Phil X playing Richie's stuff is a prime example of that. I'd much rather hear Richie doing it and hitting the occasional bum note, because it feels like he really means it....

LeaJovi 01-19-2020 06:39 PM

Oh Jon.. bad move man.

At least people will get something enjoyable out of the shows.

efpg0708 01-19-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1260913)
Can't really add much to what I've already said. I've always enjoyed his playing and that's enough for me. I've never really been into technically accurate players, as most seem to lack the relevant emotion and feeling in their playing. Phil X playing Richie's stuff is a prime example of that. I'd much rather hear Richie doing it and hitting the occasional bum note, because it feels like he really means it....

I agree. And also, with some exceptions here and there, most of the Bon Jovi catalogue is very easy to play. Phil has been in Joviland for almost 10 years now and he still isn’t capable of nailing most of the solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semigoodlooking 01-20-2020 10:49 PM

I am not much of a fan of Bryan Adams outside some songs. I have seen him on his last two tours with my wife (the fan) and he was excellent. Like others have said, he takes genuine song requests on the spot (I think its 2 songs though, not 4), although seemingly fake. And he does a few pure acoustic songs. Both of these things are completely impossible for Jon.

Edit to remove a question that was answered elsewhere.

His voice is strong and most importantly for me, he actually looks like he wants to be there.

Luckily for Jon, it won't really matter because 80% of the concert going crowd seem to have no idea how terrible Jon is. Still, Bryan Adams is in excellent shape and with his band on stage it is like what we all wished Bon Jovi was but hasn't been for at least a decade.

I bet having Bryan Adams supporting is really stroking Jon's ego though.

Roll 01-21-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1260814)
Even with a guitar around his neck Bryan moves around a lot more than Jon does without guitar. Nowadays there's no aspect where Jon is a better frontman.
And it doesn't matter if Bryan is allowed to use lights or videos. He would even kick Jon's ass by playing acoustic without PA in the afternoon sun.

I like the combo. If they tour Europe together as well (what I don't think will happen) I might consider buying a ticket for a Bon Jovi show for the first time since 2013.

Moving around is not the only way to judge a frontman. Joe Eliott moves a lot but he's nowhere near as great a frontman as Jon, especially when they play back to back as they did in Europe last year.

bonjovi90 01-21-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll (Post 1260986)
Moving around is not the only way to judge a frontman. Joe Eliott moves a lot but he's nowhere near as great a frontman as Jon, especially when they play back to back as they did in Europe last year.

That's not what had been said. It's not necessary, but it's great on top of singing like in Bryan Adam's case who sounds good and moves around a lot. It's not a replacement for the unability of singing decent though - Jon moving around, but not being able to sing in key/time is what doesn't cut it for most of us (except BJFan99).

rolo_tomachi 01-21-2020 07:56 PM

Jon forget or never understood. We didn't need perfection, just the real thing.

BJFan99 01-21-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1260988)
That's not what had been said. It's not necessary, but it's great on top of singing like in Bryan Adam's case who sounds good and moves around a lot. It's not a replacement for the unability of singing decent though - Jon moving around, but not being able to sing in key/time is what doesn't cut it for most of us (except BJFan99).

Trust me, I'm very bothered about Jon's vocals and cringe very often when listening to his recent live stuff. However, him still being a great and charismatic performer on the other aspects takes just a little bit of the pain away and makes it easier to enjoy the odd performance here and there (Bad Medicine in Philly, Saturday Night and These Days in Sao Paulo, and IBTFY in Nijmegen - I think it was - are examples of this from the last tour).

It's not about me getting insanely excited when he simply runs and jumps around on stage, it's about the connection between him and the audience as well as the experience of a concert bringing us and the band "together", which largely makes or breaks a show for BJ nowadays. Even something like Dublin night #2 last year, probably one of the best gigs of the last 5-6 years and one where I actually think Jon *almost* nailed a few songs, is largely painful to simply listen to, but when you actually see Jon work his ass off and put on a kickass energetic show with the audience in the palm of his hands, no matter how horrendous he may sound (and he does, there's no denying it), that's when I feel the most at ease and get the most enjoyment out of the current Bon Jovi as a live band.

JackieBlue 01-21-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1260989)
...just the real thing.

I'd settle for that... ;):D