Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

jon-flp 02-14-2024 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1288008)
The Distance is such a great song. If the guitar solo had been added to the record,

to me, this solo was about to be included in the album version and for some reason, they droped. Richie perfomed it since the first time they did it live.

Maybe we will have a "extended" version (just like runaway) in the Backstage with Bon Jovi that will included the solo? It would be a dream!

Captain_jovi 02-14-2024 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288013)
You know, I think if they had been a little braver with the single choices instead of playing it safe (It's My Life pt 2, followed by middle of the road radio song, followed by big ballad - yawn) that the album would actually have done better. I think something like The Distance actually had cross over potential circa 2002/2003

Remember when Jon kept announcing it was going to be the next single and the label went with the ballad they only did acoustic live twice and that was it? That really annoyed me as as new fan. I really wanted it to be a single.

But even if it DID have the solo, lord knows the radio edit wouldn't have included it :(

Alphavictim 02-14-2024 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1288000)
I was debating in my head which of the post 2000's albums was the most "of the times" and jeeze louise I forgot how much the downtuned rock songs on BOUNCE wanted to be Creed. I just put on Higher and Love Me Back To Life. Same god damn key and everything.

If that key is "D", then that's simply because that's what drop D tunings gravitate towards. Of course, the Bounce record actually employed a 7 string guitar, which is kinda weird considering how heavy on the drop D riffage it is. Maybe they didn't wanna admit to that?

But honestly? I never loved The Distance. It's okay and all, but it kinda feels like it's stuck in first gear all the time. Undivided, Misunderstood, title track. Those are great songs. Postcards... is also a super sweet tune. Those stand out to me by now, although at the time I also really liked Hook Me Up. It's a bit shallow, but it has energy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1288002)
Was the most or "wanted to be the most of its times"? I think Crush all the way to HAND were all too much trying to be what was popular.

Who *in particular* do you hear on HAND? People used to say there's Avril Lavigne guitars on it, but it's mostly the type of Disney pop rock Shanks did at the time moreso than anything else. But that's not any artist in particular. The most blatant theft on that album is indeed from My Chemical Romance, but I'd hope the similarity wasn't intentional haha

Butters 02-14-2024 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1288012)
"The Distance is such a great song. If the guitar solo had been added to the record, it would probably be a top 10 song"

is what I was responding to. People just didn't want Drop D Creed Jovi. Still a hell of a song to me though.

Ah apologies, I should have been clearer. I meant to say it would be in my top 10 BJ songs.

blazeofglory 02-14-2024 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1288020)
Who *in particular* do you hear on HAND? People used to say there's Avril Lavigne guitars on it, but it's mostly the type of Disney pop rock Shanks did at the time moreso than anything else. But that's not any artist in particular. The most blatant theft on that album is indeed from My Chemical Romance, but I'd hope the similarity wasn't intentional haha

MCR is definitely the most blatant one, but overall HAND fits right in with all those mid 2000s pop rock bands like Simple Plan, The All-American Rejects, that kinda stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 02-14-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1288020)
If that key is "D", then that's simply because that's what drop D tunings gravitate towards. Of course, the Bounce record actually employed a 7 string guitar, which is kinda weird considering how heavy on the drop D riffage it is. Maybe they didn't wanna admit to that?

But honestly? I never loved The Distance. It's okay and all, but it kinda feels like it's stuck in first gear all the time. Undivided, Misunderstood, title track. Those are great songs. Postcards... is also a super sweet tune. Those stand out to me by now, although at the time I also really liked Hook Me Up. It's a bit shallow, but it has energy.

I've been very back and forth if Bounce used seven string guitars or baritones. I feel like Richie has more of a history of baritone guitars lower in the mix (Especially all over the Bounce album and Story of My Life) but I could be wrong. But alas I',m certain there is a standard guitar tuned Drop D and another potentialyl baritone guitar if you listen to the 5.1 stems. The low tuned ones are very muddy and growly and to me were the big reason the songs didn't work live.

HAND tried really hard to be The Killers and Green Day to me, more than Avril.

Captain_jovi 02-14-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1288021)
Ah apologies, I should have been clearer. I meant to say it would be in my top 10 BJ songs.

Ahhhhhhhh now I get what you were going for. Absolutely agree.

Butters 02-14-2024 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1288024)
Ahhhhhhhh now I get what you were going for. Absolutely agree.

I can see why you read it that way. I always go back to the Shepards Bush Empire performance in 2002 when I want to listen to The Distance. It's magic.

Butters 02-14-2024 11:11 PM

Also, wasn't The Distance released as a single in Japan around the time the band toured there and it didn't do anything?

I really wanted to see it released as the second single too. I remember that would have been winter 2002/early 2003. I thought the feel and imagery in the song made for a perfect winter song. Who knows if it would have been a hit.

Captain_jovi 02-14-2024 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1288026)
Also, wasn't The Distance released as a single in Japan around the time the band toured there and it didn't do anything?

I really wanted to see it released as the second single too. I remember that would have been winter 2002/early 2003. I thought the feel and imagery in the song made for a perfect winter song. Who knows if it would have been a hit.

If I recall, it was, and used in a Japanese Beer Commercial. Because of that it was brought back for one or two times only when they toured Japan in 2007 and that was the last time we got it live until Richie did a...ahem...version of it.