Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

blazeofglory 02-17-2024 03:48 PM

I think if he didn’t have vocal cord problems his voice would probably be reminiscent of 2008-2011, but more aged. I think he would’ve stuck to the technical approaches he switched to around the LH era as they expanded his range from what he was working with in the early-mid 2000s and are overall more sustainable and healthy for the voice. Even without vocal cord problems aging still affects the voice, so I don’t think his voice would still be the same now as it was in his early-mid 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GabrielC 02-18-2024 02:16 AM

I think without the vocal cord issues, Jon would be in late-2013/2014 KOS level vocally.

I really think his decline in 2013 is more due to strain and stress than physical problems.

Thinny 02-18-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1288106)
I really think his decline in 2013 is more due to strain and stress than physical problems.

Jon confirmed that he had be struggling with the issue for 10 years. It was the same problem from 2013 onwards, they are not seperate issues, it just got worse over time. Can we please put to bed the ridiculous assumption that Jon's problems were not physical now?

Butters 02-18-2024 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288115)
Jon confirmed that he had be struggling with the issue for 10 years. It was the same problem from 2013 onwards, they are not seperate issues, it just got worse over time. Can we please put to bed the ridiculous assumption that Jon's problems were not physical now?

Ah come on now, it's all about the stress of Richie leaving the band.

Thinny 02-18-2024 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1288116)
Ah come on now, it's all about the stress of Richie leaving the band.

:rolleyes: No, I think Richie was sticking a pin in the throat of his JBJ voodoo doll... :mrgreen:

GabrielC 02-19-2024 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288115)

10 years can very well be from 2014 onwards. I don't see how its "ridiculous" that his vocal decline could have started from natural decline of him getting older instead of his vocal cords disease, since his vocals have declined in other occasions before.

bonboy25 02-19-2024 01:39 AM

My own opinion, I think his vocal injury has been there since 2002-2003. There is a huge change in his pronunciation and tone between crush and bounce tours. I think the 10 year comment by Jon is potentially talking about it being a real struggle/impossible to overcome.

Remember crush tour, Jon was doing some of the best vocal performances of songs in his career, eg I Believe. Then during the bounce tour, he could barely perform These Days/Always. Bare in mind these are very vocally challenging songs, but so is I Believe.

If this is the case, I wonder how Jon would sound if his voice just aged?

Supersonic 02-19-2024 07:00 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1288119)
Remember crush tour, Jon was doing some of the best vocal performances of songs in his career, eg I Believe. Then during the bounce tour, he could barely perform These Days/Always. Bare in mind these are very vocally challenging songs, but so is I Believe.

You should listen to more bootlegs of the Crush tour.

Jon's voice has always been in decline. With the exception of the Lost Highway and The Circle Tours, every subsequent tour had worse vocals than the previous tour. It's only when his mid-register took a hit that it became obvious to the majority.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Butters 02-19-2024 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288117)
:rolleyes: No, I think Richie was sticking a pin in the throat of his JBJ voodoo doll... :mrgreen:

Ah, good point. That must be it alright.

Thinny 02-19-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1288118)
10 years can very well be from 2014 onwards. I don't see how its "ridiculous" that his vocal decline could have started from natural decline of him getting older instead of his vocal cords disease, since his vocals have declined in other occasions before.

I've no doubt that there were lots of factors, but all of them including age are physical factors. I thought you were to referring to the common assumption between certain fans that Jon's vocal issues were more a mental/confidence issue, which was always utter nonsense.