Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Santa Fe 05-07-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1273538)
Pain kinda grew on me. Nothing else stands out, through.

I think it could be a good song :)

samboraisgodUK 05-21-2021 01:38 AM

I noticed yesterday that Undiscovered Soul on Apple Music has been replaced by the ‘Expanded edition’. At first I just thought it was a few extra tracks but then I noticed that Steven Tyler’s harmonica track has been removed from If God Was a Woman - anyone know the story behind this?

Captain_jovi 05-21-2021 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1273761)
I noticed yesterday that Undiscovered Soul on Apple Music has been replaced by the ‘Expanded edition’. At first I just thought it was a few extra tracks but then I noticed that Steven Tyler’s harmonica track has been removed from If God Was a Woman - anyone know the story behind this?

Yeah that sounds like it was replaced by the early version released in Japan that had some lyrical and production differences. Does All That Really Matters start with a different line as well?

samboraisgodUK 05-21-2021 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273762)
Yeah that sounds like it was replaced by the early version released in Japan that had some lyrical and production differences. Does All That Really Matters start with a different line as well?

Matt you’re a goddamn encyclopaedia. Yes, it does have a slightly different opening line. In It For Love seems to have a little bit more guitar in the outro but overall production isn’t as good. The loss of the harmonic on If God Was a Woman is a big one

Captain_jovi 05-21-2021 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1273763)
Matt you’re a goddamn encyclopaedia. Yes, it does have a slightly different opening line. In It For Love seems to have a little bit more guitar in the outro but overall production isn’t as good. The loss of the harmonic on If God Was a Woman is a big one

Hahahaha I can't express how much disposable information is in my head.

I don't know much more about this version but reading up a little it came out in 1997 with the final worldwide version in 1998. Anyone know anything more?

Thinny 05-21-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273764)
I don't know much more about this version but reading up a little it came out in 1997 with the final worldwide version in 1998. Anyone know anything more?

I seem to remember that the Japanese label wanted the album early. I think Richie was doing some sort of promo over there regarding a duet he did with a Japanese artist (the song was called Forever, but the name of the artist escapes me) and they wanted to capitalise on the exposure of that.

The album wasn't finished so Richie gave them an early, unfinished mix to release. I always thought it was a strange thing to do - maybe release a few songs but not the whole album. Anyways, I guess it was before the days of internet piracy, but imports were widely available a long time before the final version was released in the rest of the world.

Edit: Artist was Takashi Sorimach

https://youtu.be/theZxX3pEWs

Nige 05-21-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273769)
I seem to remember that the Japanese label wanted the album early. I think Richie was doing some sort of promo over there regarding a duet he did with a Japanese artist (the song was called Forever, but the name of the artist escapes me) and they wanted to capitalise on the exposure of that.

The album wasn't finished so Richie gave them an early, unfinished mix to release. I always thought it was a strange thing to do - maybe release a few songs but not the whole album. Anyways, I guess it was before the days of internet piracy, but imports were widely available a long time before the final version was released in the rest of the world.

I heard that the album had leaked in Japan so they rush released it in the unfinished state.

Alphavictim 05-21-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273769)

I was aware of the earlier Japan release, but not that it was simply unfinished, and this is the first time I am hearing this track! Man I love Richie's clean playing. That intro alone is superb. Overall this sounds quite a bit like Undiscovered Soul, the track, no? Do we know who wrote and produced it, and where? Was the base track just from the Undiscovered Soul sessions?

Thanks for the link and the backstory!

JackieBlue 05-21-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1273772)
I was aware of the earlier Japan release, but not that it was simply unfinished, and this is the first time I am hearing this track! Man I love Richie's clean playing. That intro alone is superb. Overall this sounds quite a bit like Undiscovered Soul, the track, no? Do we know who wrote and produced it, and where? Was the base track just from the Undiscovered Soul sessions?

Thanks for the link and the backstory!

Spotify says it was written by Takashi Sorimachi; but it doesn't give the producer or location.

Thinny 05-21-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1273771)
I heard that the album had leaked in Japan so they rush released it in the unfinished state.

Could have been, not sure. Don't remember any leaks of it back then, but I guess pre-internet they didn't spead as instantly as they do now