Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

JackieBlue 11-03-2018 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1246763)
...Jon/Richie/Desmond/Billy/whoever...

...SHANKS!!! You guys keep forgetting SNOOKY! :p :D

Thinny 11-03-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1246765)
...SHANKS!!! You guys keep forgetting SNOOKY! :p :D

I'd be up for Snooky producing the next album! :mrgreen:

JackieBlue 11-03-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1246759)
What does he mean, by himself? Richie has never written a hit song by himself. How many songs has he actually written by himself?

He's perfecting the tranny look.

There aren't many because he prefers collaborating with other writers. (Or so he says. I'm sure the real reason is that he probably just spends waaay too much time trying to get that "tranny look" down pat.):roll:

But in case you're interested, here are the ones that I've seen:

Church of Desire - SITT
River of Love - SITT
Mr. Bluesman - SITT
A Good Life - Shark Frenzy
I Need Your Love - Shark Frenzy

Instrumental: Ava's Eyes

(Interesting factoid I discovered while double-checking these. He wrote another instrumental, called ""Mr. Sambo"; not by himself, but with TICO!!)
https://youtu.be/DH4wWNEGlc4

BTW, rumor also has it that Richie actually brought some songs that he may have written by himself, along with some unfinished songs he was working on, by himself, into writing sessions with Jon. If that's true, there may have been a hit or two among them; and that could be what he's referring to. :p

semigoodlooking 11-03-2018 07:05 PM

Richie has proved to me enough over the years that he is an excellent songwriter. I don't care if he has written many by himself, although equally I am not interested in trying to rewrite history and facts to push a narrative. Every song with a credit including Jon and Richie had contributions from both of them. How much each is unknown and hardly matters.

I find it insulting that some are trying to suggest Jon just stuck his name on something Richie brought in because he can. There is loads wrong with that opinion just from a logical standpoint and yes, it is just as insulting when Jon gives his quarterback spiel. Aside from that, it is also complete speculation with not even a cursory glance at evidence.

From some sides, Richie is being painted almost like someone who has been in an abusive realationship. If he brought his own songs to the party and let Jon get a credit for virtually nothing, that says more to me about Richie than it does about Jon. As in, what an absolute coward he must be.

I am not buying it for a second. I think his contribution has been huge and am unsure why some people want to make it more, making it seem like he was the brains, heart and creative force behind Bon Jovi.

Why is it a problem if Richie does not have a huge catalog of 100% self-penned songs? It does not say anything to me about his ability or potential.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-03-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1246794)
From some sides, Richie is being painted almost like someone who has been in an abusive realationship.

lol, maybe the confusion is because Richie says “I” and JBJ says “We” when they talk about sonwriting
JBJ has said Wanted (my favorite song) was 50% him and 50% Richie
but of course people going to say that Johnny is a liar, etc. etc. etc.

Walleris 11-03-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1246794)
Richie has proved to me enough over the years that he is an excellent songwriter. I don't care if he has written many by himself, although equally I am not interested in trying to rewrite history and facts to push a narrative. Every song with a credit including Jon and Richie had contributions from both of them. How much each is unknown and hardly matters.

I find it insulting that some are trying to suggest Jon just stuck his name on something Richie brought in because he can. There is loads wrong with that opinion just from a logical standpoint and yes, it is just as insulting when Jon gives his quarterback spiel. Aside from that, it is also complete speculation with not even a cursory glance at evidence.

From some sides, Richie is being painted almost like someone who has been in an abusive realationship. If he brought his own songs to the party and let Jon get a credit for virtually nothing, that says more to me about Richie than it does about Jon. As in, what an absolute coward he must be.

I am not buying it for a second. I think his contribution has been huge and am unsure why some people want to make it more, making it seem like he was the brains, heart and creative force behind Bon Jovi.

Why is it a problem if Richie does not have a huge catalog of 100% self-penned songs? It does not say anything to me about his ability or potential.

Excellent post.

As for the highlighted part, I think the reason is simple. Clearly, the quality of Bon Jovi studio output over the decades has declined. Jon, being Mr. CEO gets the public credit/blame for this. And since Richie was the supposedly the most underrated guitarist in the world who's 'been a lead singer in every band before he got into Bon Jovi' and who's constantly held back by 'the machine', it must also be the case that this decline is because his songwriting input is diminishing. The fact that Richie's non-Bon Jovi output 2010s has been just as poppy, bland and just overall mediocre (if not more) is, however, conveniently ignored.

My opinion on the mater - Jon and Richie were great. But songwriters usually decline with age and they were no exception.It's only more exagerrated, because this also came together with their simultaneous decline as on-stage performers.

Eveline 11-03-2018 09:08 PM

Well, when you're a poet at heart, age doesn't matter. Being a songwriter is like being a poet, you have no expiry date. The only problem is your ego.

YOVANAfromPeru 11-03-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1246792)
(Interesting factoid I discovered while double-checking these. He wrote another instrumental, called ""Mr. Sambo"; not by himself, but with TICO!!)
https://youtu.be/DH4wWNEGlc4

The only BJ song I remember with Tico is Secret Dreams

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1246797)
My opinion on the mater - Jon and Richie were great. But songwriters usually decline with age and they were no exception.

old songwriters are lazy and boring? A little but not all the time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1246798)
Well, when you're a poet at heart, age doesn't matter. Being a songwriter is like being a poet, you have no expiry date. The only problem is your ego.

Only to think that those ego's gave us so many great songs... 'cause a lot of Bon Jovi songs are all about ego lol

YOVANAfromPeru 11-03-2018 11:46 PM

Richie concert? https://www.instagram.com/p/BppRGCfB78S/

YOVANAfromPeru 11-04-2018 12:11 AM

Oh I almost forgot it... I want this a sticky thread, please, thank you! -_-