Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Xavi 03-21-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1262469)
You think you're arguing against my points, but you're actually proving it.

Every one of those 3 Bon Jovi albums, while already great, would have been even better if you remove the 2-3 filler songs off each of them.

Appetite For Destruction would be better if it didn't have Anything Goes or that version of You're Crazy. Not a huge Metallica fan, so can't comment on the latter, but it's thrash metal, and they were known for big song lengths. Some genres are more niche and can get away with breaking this rule. Prog is another one. I haven't seen good research comparing album lengths of the past eras, but I would not expect there to be a "fairly even split" as you suggested. Whenever I listen to anything from the 70s or 80s it's almost always shorter.

Same with movies. I'd be hard-pressed to watch anything over 1h40min runtime. Are there great movies that go longer? Of course. But most directors are aware of people's attention span and general fatigue and try to not take liberties. With music, it's possible to have a classic 70-minute album and some still succeed, but it becomes a challenge to overcome, rather than something that adds value.

I dont see any filler song on NJ,KTF and TD.
End of discussion.

rolo_tomachi 03-21-2020 12:18 PM

The problem is that knowing Jon, he will leave the best out of the album, and the worst will be included. That is why I prefer it to include more songs. You can better adapt and configure that 10 song disc by ignoring and adding thanks to selection. But if we only get 10 songs, and no bonuses, you won't be able to choose. We are in 2020, not 1986, its best moment passed, so getting a large number of songs per album makes everything more tolerable.

GabrielC 03-21-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1262473)
The problem is that knowing Jon, he will leave the best out of the album, and the worst will be included. That is why I prefer it to include more songs. You can better adapt and configure that 10 song disc by ignoring and adding thanks to selection. But if we only get 10 songs, and no bonuses, you won't be able to choose. We are in 2020, not 1986, its best moment passed, so getting a large number of songs per album makes everything more tolerable.

This. We all know that Jon is not the best to pick songs for albums. We need the numbers to get the better songs.

rickysambo 03-21-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1262469)
You think you're arguing against my points, but you're actually proving it.

Every one of those 3 Bon Jovi albums, while already great, would have been even better if you remove the 2-3 filler songs off each of them.

Appetite For Destruction would be better if it didn't have Anything Goes or that version of You're Crazy. Not a huge Metallica fan, so can't comment on the latter, but it's thrash metal, and they were known for big song lengths. Some genres are more niche and can get away with breaking this rule. Prog is another one. I haven't seen good research comparing album lengths of the past eras, but I would not expect there to be a "fairly even split" as you suggested. Whenever I listen to anything from the 70s or 80s it's almost always shorter.

Same with movies. I'd be hard-pressed to watch anything over 1h40min runtime. Are there great movies that go longer? Of course. But most directors are aware of people's attention span and general fatigue and try to not take liberties. With music, it's possible to have a classic 70-minute album and some still succeed, but it becomes a challenge to overcome, rather than something that adds value.

EXTREMELY subjective points.

Walleris 03-21-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1262475)
EXTREMELY subjective points.

Yes, this is music :D

IWantYou 03-21-2020 04:18 PM

I don’t know if I understand wrong (because my English is very bad... obvious jajajajaj) but, I think Jon was saying here that he was writing a new song.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9_qCMPh...=19189cl0w6s9f

bonjovi90 03-21-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWantYou (Post 1262478)
I don’t know if I understand wrong (because my English is very bad... obvious jajajajaj) but, I think Jon was saying here that he was writing a new song.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9_qCMPh...=19189cl0w6s9f

That was a question and Jon's answer was: "No, I'm not."

Captain_jovi 03-21-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1262470)
I dont see any filler song on NJ,KTF and TD.
End of discussion.

You dont see any filler, plenty do though. Would KTF be better without "Woman in Love"? I think yes, some think it'd be better without "I Want You". It's subjective because the songs that don't make the cut in order to make it that length might be great or might be terrible. A leaner album is more likely to be less filler.

Rdkopper 03-21-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1262480)
You dont see any filler, plenty do though. Would KTF be better without "Woman in Love"? I think yes, some thing it'd be better without "I Want You". It's subjective because the songs that don't make the cut in order to make it that length might be great or might be terrible. A leaner album is more likely to be less filler.

Even fillers back in the day had that certain edge to them. They might not be on par with the rest of the tracks but they still offered something bigger...

Women In Love might not be a stand out track, but there is a lot going on in that song from the vocals to the production. Someone would jump through hoops to get a song like that today.

I Want You was very 80s and what some fans looked towards from a band who basically defined the 80s sound. I listen to that song much more different than someone who became a fan in the year 2000.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 03-21-2020 05:13 PM

I get it, Woman in Love is a good song but to me it drags down the quality of the album and doesn't fit with the vibe, to ME. There's lots of albums I LOVE that have a song or two that either make me go "meh" or it doesn't flow. I'd rather an album with less of those songs. THINFS without Scars on this guitar, The Circle without Fast Cars.....everyone is using examples from pre 1995 to bolster the case. Naw, it has to be post 2000 albums because the quality dips so much with so much filler. This could be a good thing.