Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2 Very Special Bon Jovi Projects (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68524)

groover22 07-06-2014 10:01 PM

As great as it is to finally hear, and own these officially, I've got to say, on quite a few of the tracks, the guitars are way too low in the mix imo.

I'm finding it frustrating to listen to, for example, listen to 'Backdoor..' then listen to the leaked/bootleg version, and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Same goes for the solo in 'Love Hurts', so low in the mix.

And yet, others like 'Homebound..' sound fine..

I wish they had left the tracks well alone, and just released them in good quality and at the correct speed, and I would have been a happy bunny.

Also, as has been said before, the version of 'Does anybody..' theyve chosen is bemusing, compared to the leaked version. Only reason I can think of for that, is if the other version is lost/damaged beyond repair. Either that or someone thought they were being clever/cool. NO.

I noticed reading the booklet, that Diamond Ring is the only track listed that hasn't been remixed, and you can tell, sounds superb.

I'm still happy to have the set, and still love most of the tracks, I just wish they hadnt messed with the mixes. ('Lets make it..' and 'Diamond Ring should have been on NJ or KTF imo).

groover22 07-06-2014 10:17 PM

PS - meant to ask.. Is it just me or does the bass line of 'Diamond Ring' sound practically identical to 'Lets make it baby'? Can't believe I've never noticed it before.

liljovi93 07-06-2014 10:32 PM

Reached number 50 in the UK album charts.

Captain_jovi 07-06-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groover22 (Post 1179882)
PS - meant to ask.. Is it just me or does the bass line of 'Diamond Ring' sound practically identical to 'Lets make it baby'? Can't believe I've never noticed it before.

Yup, It always takes me a few seconds to tell them apart.

heartshine 07-06-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groover22 (Post 1179880)
As great as it is to finally hear, and own these officially, I've got to say, on quite a few of the tracks, the guitars are way too low in the mix imo.

I'm finding it frustrating to listen to, for example, listen to 'Backdoor..' then listen to the leaked/bootleg version, and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Same goes for the solo in 'Love Hurts', so low in the mix.

And yet, others like 'Homebound..' sound fine..

I wish they had left the tracks well alone, and just released them in good quality and at the correct speed, and I would have been a happy bunny.

Also, as has been said before, the version of 'Does anybody..' theyve chosen is bemusing, compared to the leaked version. Only reason I can think of for that, is if the other version is lost/damaged beyond repair. Either that or someone thought they were being clever/cool. NO.

I noticed reading the booklet, that Diamond Ring is the only track listed that hasn't been remixed, and you can tell, sounds superb.

I'm still happy to have the set, and still love most of the tracks, I just wish they hadnt messed with the mixes. ('Lets make it..' and 'Diamond Ring should have been on NJ or KTF imo).

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. On the leaked version of "Backdoor" the lead guitar is soaring, and for me this makes the song so great. So I was totally bummed with the mix they released. I have no idea why the guitar is mixed so soft into the mix we got now. Guitar solo's should take centerstage when the parts don't overlap with the lead vocals.

With "Does anybody" I don't know what went wrong with the versions and the (missing) solo's. For me, Richie's solo's are the reason I like this band so much. I have a theory though, but I'm not sure if it holds up... Maybe they didn't get further with "Does anybody" than this version that most of us are complaining about... and they only made the more finished version (that we know from the leaks) when there was a request from Cher's label to give her the song. So maybe... the somewhat more evolved version of "Does anybody" did only come into fruition AFTER the official New Jersey sessions. Just a theory...

Rdkopper 07-07-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartshine (Post 1179890)
Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. On the leaked version of "Backdoor" the lead guitar is soaring, and for me this makes the song so great. So I was totally bummed with the mix they released. I have no idea why the guitar is mixed so soft into the mix we got now. Guitar solo's should take centerstage when the parts don't overlap with the lead vocals.

With "Does anybody" I don't know what went wrong with the versions and the (missing) solo's. For me, Richie's solo's are the reason I like this band so much. I have a theory though, but I'm not sure if it holds up... Maybe they didn't get further with "Does anybody" than this version that most of us are complaining about... and they only made the more finished version (that we know from the leaks) when there was a request from Cher's label to give her the song. So maybe... the somewhat more evolved version of "Does anybody" did only come into fruition AFTER the official New Jersey sessions. Just a theory...

Its a good theory. The leaked version and Chers version are almost identical. I think that has something to do with it in some way.

Lucas_Roli 07-07-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groover22 (Post 1179880)

I find that frustrating too.On the leaked version the guitar is so loud and awesome...it gives me eargasms.
I'm going to start downloading some audio editing softwares that are expensive to buy,cause I tried bringing up the guitar in Audacity,Wavosaur etc. and I have no ideea how to do it.
If I can bring up the guitar with these new softwares that I'm downloading,I'll send you a PM with the song.

Grantos1 07-07-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1179887)

Just noticed that, surprising for a more expensive version re-release.

Savvi 07-07-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Reached number 90 on the Australian album chart.

Dave 1986 07-07-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantos1 (Post 1179906)
Just noticed that, surprising for a more expensive version re-release.

I think it's taking all version of the Deluxe Edition into account not just the Super Box Set version. The iTunes version is only. £8.99.

Bounce7800 07-07-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Sales:

41 Dolly Parton [The Very Best Of...] 2,841 (457,890)
43 Jack Bugg [Shangri La] 2,499
46 Bombay Bicycle Club 2,291
50 Bon Jovi 2,251

rocker1981 07-07-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1179912)
Sales:

41 Dolly Parton [The Very Best Of...] 2,841 (457,890)
43 Jack Bugg [Shangri La] 2,499
46 Bombay Bicycle Club 2,291
50 Bon Jovi 2,251

Interesting. Probably confirms the exact number of Bon Jovi true die hards in the UK!

Is the unit sales information public? Do you have a link?

rocker1981 07-07-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1179773)
The only thing I would have liked added to the booklet, and this is just what I like, is all the single covers and a little bit of blurb from where each single charted in the world with each different covers. I think the Queen GH package did this and it looks really good.

Nice to have all the lyrics, especially to the demos too. Interesting to see how they kept trying to crowbar the "na na na" hook into a song somehow. For what it's worth, I think if Growing Up The Hard Way got rid of them and was a bit more melancholy (and made to be about someone else rather than "I was") it would run in a similar vein to Hey God, and so even fit on These Days much like Diamond Ring eventually found a home there (and I prefer the Sons Of Beaches demo to that one too).

As a collector of Bon Jovi cds and records from around the world, I agreed with this 100%.

+ The researchers would have realised that the acoustic version of Born To Be My Baby has already been released in the UK as a B-Side to the LYHOM Gatefold 12", not just in Japan as stated. (sorry for being a geek)

Bounce7800 07-07-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker1981 (Post 1179914)
Interesting. Probably confirms the exact number of Bon Jovi true die hards in the UK!

Only this one http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index...owtopic=167722

Rdkopper 07-07-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Nah....Even people on here admitted that they weren't going to purchase it but download it illegally instead. Plus, there are still a bunch of people who still haven't purchased it for various reasons...waiting for the price to drop, etc

Supersonic 07-07-2014 03:51 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker1981 (Post 1179916)
+ The researchers would have realised that the acoustic version of Born To Be My Baby has already been released in the UK as a B-Side to the LYHOM Gatefold 12", not just in Japan as stated. (sorry for being a geek)

The Bon Jovi camp has no idea what was released where and when. When the boxset was released in 2004, Universal issued a full list of all songs ever released and in what territory. There were a few mistakes on there and lacked a few songs as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

rocker1981 07-07-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1179919)
Nah....Even people on here admitted that they weren't going to purchase it but download it illegally instead. Plus, there are still a bunch of people who still haven't purchased it for various reasons...waiting for the price to drop, etc

Fair point.....

Raz0r 07-07-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1179919)

I fit into both those catagories. I have my eye on the Super Deluxe, but no way am I spending $40 on it.

tigrs99 07-07-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Probably have to divide it by 2 as each CD or download of Deluxe Edition counts as 2 units

DryCounty 07-08-2014 02:28 AM

Since all the talk about Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore I simply wrote to Obie on Facebook and asked him why the "I know's" were taken away from the song. I was a bit suprised when he answered me today. So, here's the reply!

http://i57.tinypic.com/2qx1g8w.jpg

Captmorgs 07-08-2014 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1179937)
Since all the talk about Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore I simply wrote to Obie on Facebook and asked him why the "I know's" were taken away from the song. I was a bit suprised when he answered me today. So, here's the reply!

That's cool that he responded.

Captain_jovi 07-08-2014 06:51 AM

Well that settles it. No controversies, legal dealings, royalties and drama. Just an early version.

jovifan93 07-08-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1179940)
Well that settles it. No controversies, legal dealings, royalties and drama. Just an early version.

Yep. Though his answer is not 100% correct (which he probably isn't even aware of), since this is also a different recording (slightly different drum breaks, etc.), so the vocals were not simply added to this demo some time after it was recorded, but it must've been recorded again and that tape got lost somehow...

Rdkopper 07-08-2014 09:32 AM

Someone should ask him if a Soundboard of Cadillac Man exists and if so, can we get a copy.

Rdkopper 07-08-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1179937)

I'm not quite sure I get it totally...

So is he saying the original version that we all know is lost? And then what vocals were added after the fact? Is he saying that it was just a raw vocal only that Obie matched it to the music?

Jon tells someone to keep going. Is it the band or whoever was recording? See, I asked this question prior and someone said it was the band but the reason why I initially asked it was because, it doesn't sound live to me.

jovifan93 07-08-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1179948)
I'm not quite sure I get it totally...

So is he saying the original version that we all know is lost? And then what vocals were added after the fact? Is he saying that it was just a raw vocal only that Obie matched it to the music?

Jon tells someone to keep going. Is it the band or whoever was recording? See, I asked this question prior and someone said it was the band but the reason why I initially asked it was because, it doesn't sound live to me.

As far as I get it, this is the original demo and, according to Obie, the vocal tracks we all know (with the "I know"s, the higher melody line, etc.) were added later (after the sessions), and that recording has been lost somehow. Though after trying to mix both of the versions we have together, I tend to claim that this is a different recording altogether, meaning that they recorded the song again later in the more full-fledged version we all know and love, and that recording has been lost.

Concering the "keep going", to me it sounds like they were recording all the demos live together in one room and Jon wanted to improvise, because he just came up with "I know" and wanted to try that out, so he told the band to keep going and play for a little while longer, even though the song was basically done. Note that after that, he eventually gets the whole "correct" melody together, just one octave down from what we know. So for me it's like the origin story of the finished vocal line, which is kind of cool, although I would've preferred the other version in pristine condition ;-)

united17 07-08-2014 11:36 AM

Hey guys, got a quick question.

I ordered the Super Deluxe edition and it has arrived at customs in Singapore (where I am). I just got a call saying my shipment has been flagged for a customs check.

I'm sure the CDs are fine and it's a long shot but I was just wondering if there was any footage of nudity, drug use or anything culturally sensitive (racism etc) in the Access All Areas DVD? Seems like a stupid question but I'd rather not get in trouble. :shock:

Thanks

Dave 1986 07-08-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united17 (Post 1179951)
Hey guys, got a quick question.

I ordered the Super Deluxe edition and it has arrived at customs in Singapore (where I am). I just got a call saying my shipment has been flagged for a customs check.

I'm sure the CDs are fine and it's a long shot but I was just wondering if there was any footage of nudity, drug use or anything culturally sensitive (racism etc) in the Access All Areas DVD? Seems like a stupid question but I'd rather not get in trouble. :shock:

Thanks

Apart from several F-bombs, there's nothing too outrageous on there.

Alphavictim 07-08-2014 09:26 PM

Come to think of it... can anybody who has the physical release tell us who is credited for House Of Fire?

SuperBrad 07-08-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1179970)
Come to think of it... can anybody who has the physical release tell us who is credited for House Of Fire?

Desmond , Alice Cooper and Joan Jett ;)

Lucas_Roli 07-08-2014 09:56 PM

IMO,Bon Jovi's House of Fire has far better guitar and drums than Cooper's version.

Btw can anyone tell me what Jon is saying during the chorus of Love Hurts cause the internet is full of ''Bon Jovi'' - Love Hurts from Nazareth lyrics,which isn't even Jovi,I think it's Cory Heart or something like that.
This is what I hear,is it correct?

-Love Hurts,hurts you inside from the day that you're born till the day that you die.
-Love Hurts,touch you it's hot from the day that you're born till the day that you die.

groover22 07-08-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli (Post 1179974)
IMO,Bon Jovi's House of Fire has far better guitar and drums than Cooper's version.

Btw can anyone tell me what Jon is saying during the chorus of Love Hurts cause the internet is full of ''Bon Jovi'' - Love Hurts from Nazareth lyrics,which isn't even Jovi,I think it's Cory Heart or something like that.
This is what I hear,is it correct?

-Love Hurts,hurts you inside from the day that you're born till the day that you die.
-Love Hurts,touch you it's hot from the day that you're born till the day that you die.

According to the lyric book:

Love Hurts
Hurts you inside, from the day that you're born to the day that you die
Love Hurts
The hurt goes away, hold on to your heart, we'll make it someday

steel_horse75 07-09-2014 09:24 AM

any idea what the other release will be?

fanofrem 07-09-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1179990)

I think I read somewhere some time ago that it was a compilation with live and studio tracks. Hopefully it will unreleased tracks.

Dave 1986 07-09-2014 12:48 PM

Aren't we also getting more Deluxe Editions as well?

Rdkopper 07-09-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

After looking at first week sales for NJ, we'd be so lucky to get future releases.

united17 07-09-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1179994)
After looking at first week sales for NJ, we'd be so lucky to get future releases.

Been searching around, couldn't find the sales figures. What are they?
Thanks

Lucas_Roli 07-09-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Hope that it will be Sex Sells demos or SWW demos.

Rdkopper 07-09-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united17 (Post 1179995)
Been searching around, couldn't find the sales figures. What are they?
Thanks

Using the HITS Daily Double chart as a reference, it didn't even debut in the top 50. The album at the 50 position sold only 5,500 units so using this as a starting point, the NJ Deluxe Edition did even worse by not charting in the top 50 which also means that sales are less then 5500 units sold. It only sold 2200 in its debut in the UK and peaked at number 90 on the Australian album chart. If units sold are doubled, these numbers are absolutely pathetic!

I don't meant to take it out on fans here but we, as dies-hards, could have done so much better supporting this. This era is the reason why 95% of us are here today and more so, still here today. Reviews have been positive so there are no excuses.

If this mess up our chances for future releases, I'm going to be so pissed.

Led Zeppelin recently re-released some classic albums and they all have been charting in the top 50 since their initial releases.

Dave 1986 07-09-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1179998)
Led Zeppelin recently re-released some classic albums and they all have been charting in the top 50 since their initial releases.

Yea but let's face it, Led Zeppelin are a lot more 'molly coddled' by the critics and the media than Bon Jovi are. Obviously not having a go at Zeppelin or their fans (I'm not a massive fan of theirs, personally), but whatever they release is gonna sell well regardless. Plus they are considered a "legendary band", like the Beatles and Pink Floyd (both bands have also reissued their back catalogue in recent years and have charted highly), unlike Bon Jovi who sadly aren't generally considered as such. Simply put, Bon Jovi just aren't quite in the same league as Zeppelin, Beatles or Floyd.

It's sad, but it's true.