Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Official June 21, Wembley Stadium, London, England Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70591)

efpg0708 06-24-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 1256216)
fenomenal?! [emoji848]

https://youtu.be/dhZUsNJ-LQU

Yep. I’d say they were fenomenal. I went to a lot of Oasis gigs here in South America and they blew my mind and everyone else’s every single time. You can’t beat the vibe of Cigarettes and Alcohol being played to a south american crowd. Even when Liam was at his worst vocally (2006), the gig in Sao Paulo was biblical. Supersonic had not been played for the whole tour, and the crowd were chanting even the melody of the song’s solo. When they came back from the encore break and Zak started playing the song, the crowd reaction was the greatest thing I’ve ever witnessed at a live concert. To this day, it’s still my number one “live concert moment”.

steel_horse75 06-24-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1256209)
Maybe it's too late for this, but in case anyone cares I was at this show and here's what I think. The show was in the middle of one of the busiest weeks in my life and only now I finally had some time to reflect on it. For this reason, I missed the Manic Street Preachers set, which is unfortunate, I consider them a pretty good band.

This was my first Bon Jovi concert in eight years and fourth overall. Previous times were 2010 (O2 night 11), 2010 (O2 night 12) and 2011 (Vienna) and I thought each one was gradually better than the previous one. As expected, this one broke the pattern.

Full disclosure - I haven't been following any setlists or watched videos since this show was announced and I decided to stop following the tour. The element of surprise is very important to me. I wasn't expecting much in that department, but if there were any, I wanted to find out in person. I had very little insight into what the Japanese, Australian or previous European shows were like.

Some of you may know me as quite a critical fan. I complain about modern Bon Jovi a lot. So in my book, this show had two possible outcomes - the terrible band that I grew up idolizing will be put out of its misery (in my head) or they will overcome the odds stacked against them and my fan-band relationship will improve to where I can enjoy the today's incarnation. I cannot give a definite answer, but in such scale, it went more to the second direction.

Overall, it was really good. Jon the singer is obviously long dead now, but Jon the frontman is still very much alive. As much as we discuss other members and want them to get more credit in the eyes of the general public ("Bon Jovi is not a singer, it's a band god damn it!"), they're complimentary pieces - the show starts and ends with Jon. He was in great spirits all night and I felt he delivered. In fact, I felt this was his best effort in terms of showmanship, better than the 2010-11 shows I saw. Between the movements, banter, smiles, he is a master of his craft. It's not about doing those things, it's HOW you do it and if it engages the crowd. This is a part of the show that doesn't translate on YouTube, you can only feel it live. The only frontmen I saw who I thought had a bigger stage presence were Liam Gallagher and Robbie Williams. That's an elite company if you ask me. And I have seen many greats Mick Jagger, Bono, Axl Rose, Roger Daltrey, Bryan Adams, Steven Tyler, Joe Elliot, David Coverdale, Bruce Springsteen, as well some modern ones like Adam Levine, Chris Martin, Bruno Mars, etc.

Unlike showmanship, bad vocals are the part that translates between YouTube and in-person. I am quite surprised to see people that went to the same show say otherwise, but for me, I felt like I heard every bum note he made. But then again, I try to go to at least one concert each month and perhaps my ear is more trained now. He sounded quite painful on at least half of the songs. I felt like I had to sing louder myself so I could drown his terrible singing with mine, which did the trick at the small price of ruining some videos of the people around me.

Gimmicks in songs are important and effective. I mean things like time machine intro in Runaway and false starts by David, the pause in 'do we got it anymore' in WLOL, crowd sing-alongs in LYHOM, hand waving in Crash, etc. I once remember making a comment in 2017 than in this the part of the show that Jon should exploit more because they don't require vocal ability and play to his current strengths. That's how you overcome (or at least minimize) the damage of bad singing. And I feel like he improved in that department greatly since the start of the THINFS tour, which was the last time when I watched a lot of YouTube videos of live performances. For this reason, I think Saturday Night should be played at every show because the mid-song adlibs achieve the same purpose. The cover medleys in Bad Medicine and/or Sleep should return as well.

The main set was more enjoyable than I expected. It was one of my main concerns and it wasn't perfect by any means, but it wasn't that bad. I liked the decision to move the songs (HAND & Blood On Blood) we are used to having in an encore to the main set.

THINFS had great crowd participation, which surprised me. I felt the crowd around me (GC area) was not too diehard (e.g. they didn't sing some of the songs I'd expect them to). Perhaps it's normal for an opener, but I felt it got a better reaction than some of the smaller hits, e.g. Sleep or Runaway.

Amen serves no purpose. If the purpose is to give Tico a break, play another song or an acoustic version of any song. It was the only momentum killer and only give a pass to new songs for that. It also doesn't put Jon in the most favourable position, because in his current range, it's still a challenging one for him to sing and with such minimal instrument arrangement, he gets exposed more than most other songs.

Another drawback was Captain Crash and Sleep When I'm Dead back-to-back - simply brutal. There will be a time when I'm long gone, my children will have their own children, every car will be driverless, Miley Cyrus will be POTUS and the corpse of Jon will still be doing these two songs at every show. It killed what was a great 5-7 song stretch before. I guess I cannot complain too much, because the crowd participation in both of them was great, I would probably take any songs over them, old or new.

We Don't Run rocks live. It wasn't a major highlight, but it surprised me. The production is very digital, but live it's a beast of a song, I found myself singing and headbanging way harder than I thought I would.

I am perhaps the only member of JT for whom not getting Who Says is a drawback. I always liked the song and they haven't had a bigger hit since, so it should be played at every show.

The break between the main set and encore was one of the longest ones I've seen in any concert. This had me wondering if the reason was Jon resting his voice to all out on Always, which is what happened. I consider Always to be my favourite song of all time (probably of any band) and I didn't get it in my first two shows (only in the third one) so needless to say, I was very pleased to hear it. The vocal delivery was what you can expect from today's Jon, but he went absolute all out in the outro and the ending sounded great. Him being so spent only added to the emotion. For this reason, I actually liked that he didn't do the acapella intro for Prayer, because from such emotional moment of Always outro, the transitioning into the slow build intro of Prayer was tremendous. This was just the perfect encore - THE BALLAD & THE HIT. I know people complained that we didn't get more special songs, but in a vacuum, it was just perfection. Sure, getting These Days or I'll Be There For You would have pleased me as well, but I think they'd be better added to the main set. We are so trained by Jon for many years now to only expect the surprises in the encore, but to me, it should be a climax and this one absolutely was.

tl;dr - not perfect, but a damn good show, a solid four out of five.

Good post except saying Robbie Williams and Liam Gallagher are better front men.:D
I dont mind Liam but I cant stand Williams - but.... there is a comparison with Robbie and JBJ in 2019 - Both have weaker voices than 10 years ago (JBJ could sing back in the day but Robbie has never had a good voice) so they need to go that extra mile on stage and interact with crowd a lot more.

weekend 06-24-2019 12:57 PM

For those who attended the concert, I’d be interested to hear about Always. From watching YouTube clips it seemed everyone at Wembley was singing along and it was a very emotional moment. This concert seemed very special and I so much wish I was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

liljovi93 06-24-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekend (Post 1256239)
For those who attended the concert, I’d be interested to hear about Always. From watching YouTube clips it seemed everyone at Wembley was singing along and it was a very emotional moment. This concert seemed very special and I so much wish I was there.

I watched the full show yesterday. Personally thought he sounded good on it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Chris_Newton 06-24-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Always was simply amazing, it really felt like the whole stadium got caught up in the moment.

For me anyways, thats what it is all about.

Bounce7800 06-24-2019 01:09 PM

Couple of late points about the show:

Was more a sense of obligation than excitement initially given the state of Jon over the last couple of years, but since Dublin it gave way to excitement and the performance was great. A really enjoyable night.
Pleasantly surprised with the attendance. Turns out 6 years is a long time!
Stadium sounds are generally really echoey and poor anyway, and this time was no different but that would have masked some of Jon's vocal issues, but up to at least IML he was pretty decent (by current standards). It's great that he has improved as the tour goes on, some of the earlier YT videos were unwatchable in places, thankfully he's on time a lot more as well which helps.
Actually letting Phil X off the leash and be part of the show is a real plus - in 2013 they were still hiding him, not even showing his face on the screens, all close up of guitars, but great to see him properly in place and the KTF and Always guitar work was excellent.
The band all seem really happy - so many better shows with Richie in the past still had some tension in it which was palpable at times, I remember some of the O2 shows as examples of this. The group seem so relaxed now, probably helps Jon being less uptight too.
Once someone mentioned Shanks and his sashaying down the catwalk I couldn't not see it when he did it!
Shame about the setlist - really threw out some stinkers with the LH/WLOL combo and Amen/Crash. At the time, was accepting it as assumed something big was coming. But it didn't, Always aside. Gutted to not get ITA/IBT4U and yet have those.
Amen was a massive downer - all of the seating that had been stood up since the start sat down. I'm sure standing would have done too. What a come down after that KTF. Maybe a come down is needed, but there's plenty better. However, Jon sang it well.
Not enough THINFS songs - it's the THINFS tour, people should listen to the album and expect a few tracks from it from any gig from any band they see. If I hadn't done the palladium, those 2 songs would be it for hearing anything from the album. Would have liked Rollercoaster (and BAT but that was never on).
Don't say **** the curfew and then finish 10 mins before the curfew.

However, as a whole the gig was fantastic, the crowd was superb and I'm glad the gig wasn't hugely worse than previous tours as anticipated. Hopefully its not the last hurrah I was expecting after all.

steel_horse75 06-24-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

I thought it was fine.
Last "I will always love you" after the outro was a bit strained but was fine.
Phil Xs outro was amazing.

steel_horse75 06-24-2019 01:42 PM

@bounce7800 - I agree its odd not to get more THINFS songs on the THINFS tour especially after JBJ banged on about it so much prior to release about how much he loved it. For his voice could he swap Amen with Scars on my guitar (hate both but for his sake?)
Id love to hear DITT but on Sat we got just 1.

Maybe JBJ has listened to the album and has come to the correct decision that the album is bang average!

faith1985 06-24-2019 05:13 PM

Ok, seriously : what just happened?

The good:
I thought it was a really good concert from the moment KTF started. Richie's guitar playing has got more soul but I thought Phil was pretty good. The band was united and Jon was an absolutely great front man. When Jon introduced the band it got to me. And so did Wanted. I actually don't give a **** about the vocal quality. It came from the heart and that is all that matters. I seriously love them.

The bad:
Shanks. If Jon and he are friends, all my respect for Jon sticking with him but:
This guy CANNOT PLAY GUITAR. I am sorry : he ruined it. His face was a over the screens and the solos were just bad. Not just as in: he is worse than Bobby or Phil but as in: he seems he just stated playing a little while ago.

Shanks aside (and I am a bitch for complaining): I ****ing loved it.

Xavi 06-24-2019 05:27 PM

Anyone noticed when Jon almost hit Phil in his face during Always??