Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon's Voice (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69710)

Captain Hook 10-20-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1210698)
I just don't get how weak he is on songs in such low keys. I think it's more than just his range has gone. He's got no confidence in his vocals. He's playing it extra safe on songs he should/could be singing with more power.

That's also my impression. But I'm optimistic. Jon is a fighter. :)

bonjovi90 10-20-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

I just don't get how weak he is on songs in such low keys. I think it's more than just his range has gone. He's got no confidence in his vocals. He's playing it extra safe on songs he should/could be singing with more power.

He doesn't and he has talked in a recent interview about that reasons are more of psychological nature.

jovifan93 10-20-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I got that impression, too. Sometimes he seems to go for it (like in the Toronto show in some parts), and then his voice seems "normal" (i.e. not so weak), whereas when he thinks too much, he seems to hold himself back.

nikos greece 10-20-2016 10:21 PM

its obvious he overthinks it in certain songs like the intro line of bad medicine when he is off time, a bit late these days while in the past it was second nature for him to be right on the beat of bad medicine

SadieLady 10-21-2016 05:42 AM

Forget the rarities, Jon has trouble singing his standard catalog. Obviously the reason behind this series of concerts that exclusively feature THINFS songs, including a live stream, is so that the songs will catch on with the fans and be a prominent part of the 2017 tour. I think this is very wise. The new songs are structured so that they are easier vocally. Also Jon is supported more vocally on stage and the band members are being featured more. The new members add energy and Jon is letting the band stand out more so it is not "all Jon all the time." That had always been a sore part with me that the band members weren't spotlighted more during the concert via the screens and via solo highlights. This new and improved band can only help take some of the stress off Jon and allow the fans to be even more responsive.

Tom_K 10-21-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1210721)
He doesn't and he has talked in a recent interview about that reasons are more of psychological nature.

Do you have a link to this interview?

I remember Shania Twain having problems with her voice too and how it was not the vocal chords being injured but psychological issues.

symbeline 10-21-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_K (Post 1211014)

I remember Shania Twain having problems with her voice too and how it was not the vocal chords being injured but psychological issues.

Here's (around min 5.50 or so):

Burlhouse 10-21-2016 08:33 PM

Jon's Voice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_K (Post 1211014)

Apart from the link above, there is also this clip, around 1:38, where Jon clearly indicates problems with his voice.

https://youtu.be/BnnmQUhGIvE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezearis 10-22-2016 09:19 AM

I'm shocked that the guy struggles on WSYCGH or that doesn't even sing in the chorus of some new songs like THINFS. But the Tidal streaming sounded a little better than that Ellen show, hopefully he will improve a bit.

Jeeper 10-22-2016 10:19 AM

Is anyone on this board able to offer an explanation for Jon's vocal issues - I don't mean what has caused it, more about why he struggles on certain songs which to the untrained ear seem to be in a relatively easy key?

Singing live, how can he sound strong(ish) on tracks such as Come On Up To Our House then sound weak on tracks which do not seem to be any higher?