Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Album Rankings - 2015 (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69013)

Matrix15 05-11-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFan (Post 1187553)
12 Lost Highway
11 What About Now
10 The Circle

Wow was this guy tripping balls much?! :P

Anyhow, this is interesting. Shame for WAN I didnt think it deserved bottom place.

rolo_tomachi 05-11-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 1187607)
Wow was this guy tripping balls much?! :P

Anyhow, this is interesting. Shame for WAN I didnt think it deserved bottom place.

I still can not believe that BJ and 7800º be in position 11 and 10. These two albums are more comprehensive, dynamic and with a collection of songs more interesting than most albums after 2000. Also contain the spirit & sound of hard rock.

But ...well, I suppose there are fans from all periods and is respectable.

Rdkopper 05-11-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1187608)
I still can not believe that BJ and 7800º be in position 11 and 10. These two albums are more comprehensive, dynamic and with a collection of songs more interesting than most albums after 2000. Also contain the spirit & sound of hard rock.

But ...well, I suppose there are fans from all periods and is respectable.

Most people on this board are influenced by each others opinions. It almost becomes a collective opinion. I've see people start out with one opinion and change it based on pure persuasion.

rolo_tomachi 05-11-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1187609)
Most people on this board are influenced by each others opinions. It almost becomes a collective opinion. I've see people start out with one opinion and change it based on pure persuasion.

Do not know, this is possible. But we're also big fans and is very difficult (for me) to assess what is the best album and what is the worst. I mean, the weather and the mood can change your mind at any given time. What I can not understand is that BJ and 7800º are in the lowest positions of the ranking always. I think these albums deserve to be in an intermediate position.

However, it is interesting to see the opinion of the fans today.

Savvi 05-11-2015 03:08 PM

Bounce
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ovi_Bounce.jpg

TOTAL: 264 POINTS (40.7%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 10 (x1)
LOWEST SCORE: 1 (x1)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 5 (x13)
2009 RANKING: 10th
2012 RANKING: 8th

In 8th place is Bounce, only 10 points ahead of Lost Highway. It seems majority of us will be comfortable with this ranking as nearly a quarter of us ranked it 8th in our personal rankings. It should be noted that Bounce did quite well to receive just three votes of a score lower than 3.

Similar to Bon Jovi and 7800 Fahrenheit, it seems that Bounce and Lost Highway are two albums that always rank similarly to each other. Every year that we have ranked the albums, Bounce has always finished one spot higher than Lost Highway. Even in 2008 when Lost Highway finished dead last, Bounce was just ahead in second last.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psz2vcby7g.jpg

Rdkopper 05-11-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1187610)
Do not know, this is possible. But we're also big fans and is very difficult (for me) to assess what is the best album and what is the worst. I mean, the weather and the mood can change your mind at any given time. What I can not understand is that BJ and 7800º are in the lowest positions of the ranking always. I think these albums deserve to be in an intermediate position.

However, it is interesting to see the opinion of the fans today.

I think it all depends on when and what made u become a fan. In 1986 when Slippery came out, those first two albums acted as B sides to Slippery and were my go to songs after I exhausted the 10 songs.

Don't forget, in 1986 those songs were more of what was going on during that time musically as apposed to someone first listening to them in 2005 for example. Just because they didn't sell due to a lack of exposure doesn't mean they sucked during that time either.

The reason why I'm on this board is because of who and what that band was from 1983 to 1991. I lived through those times as my childhood so I associate all good things with that era.

steel_horse75 05-12-2015 08:20 AM

How the first two albums are so low are beyond me but maybe that's cos the forum is full of 2nd generation Jovi fans who discovered them from Always maybe?
Musically and lyrically the first two albums are way beyond anything from (and including) crush onwards.

bounce442 05-12-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1187624)
How the first two albums are so low are beyond me but maybe that's cos the forum is full of 2nd generation Jovi fans who discovered them from Always maybe?
Musically and lyrically the first two albums are way beyond anything from (and including) crush onwards.

I'll give you there's better guitar work (and maybe passion - as unfocused as it may be) on the first two albums vs post 2000 Bon Jovi, but that's it. They have gotten much better at writing melodies and hooks as seen on the first two albums... Also, as lazy as their lyrics may be lately, there are also certainly more lyrical gems.

KSantaFe 05-12-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1187624)

I have to strongly disagree with you there. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but there are many, many great songs in the post-Crush period. I like the first two albums, but I'd argue that some songs are even more cringeworthy than their most recent material. And what's wrong with being a 2nd (or hell, even 3rd) generation Bon Jovi fan?

steel_horse75 05-12-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1187627)
I have to strongly disagree with you there. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but there are many, many great songs in the post-Crush period. I like the first two albums, but I'd argue that some songs are even more cringeworthy than their most recent material. And what's wrong with being a 2nd (or hell, even 3rd) generation Bon Jovi fan?

Nothing wrong at all with it. I didnt say there was.

This is a forum so theres going to be many different opinions. I just prefer Jovi from first album to Fatih. Thats not to say I dont like anything 2nd gen Jovi but the consistency was there much more in first 5 albums. (In my opinion of course!)

KSantaFe 05-12-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1187628)
Nothing wrong at all with it. I didnt say there was.

This is a forum so theres going to be many different opinions. I just prefer Jovi from first album to Fatih. Thats not to say I dont like anything 2nd gen Jovi but the consistency was there much more in first 5 albums. (In my opinion of course!)

My apologies, I misinterpreted your tone ;)

We can both agree on the consistency side of things. From Crush onwards, the band became inconsistent - each album has a mixture of great and average/poor songs. The first two albums are highly consistent - consistently mediocre! :lol:

Just kidding...

Becky 05-12-2015 11:28 AM

I tend to think that every album got better until NJ and that NJ, KTF, Blaze, TD, and DA were all peak albums that were about as perfect as albums could be. In ranking band albums, I could go back and forth between which is my top pick--KTF or NJ. I probably have more of an emotional attachment to NJ because I think I played it 5,000 times in my youth, but I think that KTF is the better album lyrically and musically. Then Crush had some filler and all the post 2000 albums have had been kind of sporadic (mostly good, but definitely having some filler songs) with The Circle being the worst they've ever produced in their career (they should have just kept that one in the vault).

jovifan93 05-12-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1187632)
I tend to think that every album got better until NJ and that NJ, KTF, Blaze, TD, and DA were all peak albums that were about as perfect as albums could be. In ranking band albums, I could go back and forth between which is my top pick--KTF or NJ. I probably have more of an emotional attachment to NJ because I think I played it 5,000 times in my youth, but I think that KTF is the better album lyrically and musically. Then Crush had some filler and all the post 2000 albums have had been kind of sporadic (mostly good, but definitely having some filler songs) with The Circle being the worst they've ever produced in their career (they should have just kept that one in the vault).

Funny, how opinions can differ. I think The Circle is one of the best BJ albums ever and probably the best of post 2000 BJ. As for the first two albums: they are not as catchy and have not as good melodies and lyrics, so I don't really like them. Also cannot stand Jon's voice from that era. SWW onwards is great, the first two not so much...

Savvi 05-12-2015 01:41 PM

This one is just for Becky :p....

The Circle
http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/E...the-circle.jpg

TOTAL: 270 POINTS (41.7%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 11 (x1)
LOWEST SCORE: 0 (x2)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 6 (x12)
2009 RANKING: 5th
2012 RANKING: 6th

With just 6 points more than Bounce, it is The Circle that scrapes into 7th position. Once voted the best post-2000 album, The Circle is the only album to consistently score a lower percentage each year. In 2009, fresh after it's release, the album finished in 5th place. Three years later it drop a place but still finished a respectable 6th place. This year, it drops yet again to 7th. Could it simply be that The Circle just isn't standing the test of time? Still though, 7th place isn't too bad.

It deserves a middle ground finish considering 40% of us consider it our 6th or 7th favourite band album. On a slightly sour note, it is the only album apart from What About Now that received a few votes of zero.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psc446qnsr.jpg

That concludes the first half of results. From here on out, the top half all received over 300 points.

steel_horse75 05-12-2015 01:50 PM

Like most albums after 2000 The Circle has a lot of fillers on it. The good stuff is good and poor is awful.

I probably dislike more songs on WAN but prefer that albums good songs to The Circles.

I do love Brokenpromisedland and Thorn In My Side.

Savvi 05-12-2015 02:17 PM

Crush
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...albumcover.jpg

TOTAL: 323 POINTS (49.8%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 10 (x3)
LOWEST SCORE: 1 (x1)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 4 & 7 (x9)
2009 RANKING: 7th
2012 RANKING: 5th

Kicking off the top half of the list is Crush, which ironically falls just 0.2% short of a 50% mark. The top half do seem to be quite far ahead of the pack with 53 points separating Crush from 7th placed The Circle. It is quite fitting that Crush comes in at 6th considering in 2009 and 2012 it finished 5th and 7th respectively.

The top score given to Crush was a tie between an 7 and 4, showing a bit of a divide. Though with 8 scores of 8, it pushes the album further up the list. Despite it's high finish, Crush, along with Bounce, is the only post-2000 album to not receive a score higher than 10.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psyobcwhcq.jpg

Savvi 05-12-2015 02:38 PM

Have a Nice Day
http://www.countryuniverse.net/wp-co...ay-300x300.jpg

TOTAL: 335 POINTS (51.7%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 12 (x2)
LOWEST SCORE: 2 (x2)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 5 (x12)
2009 RANKING: 6th
2012 RANKING: 7th

In 5th place is Have a Nice Day, giving it the title of best post-2000 album for the first time (a title previously held by The Circle in 2009 and Crush in 2012). Despite it's most common score being a 5, the album polled quite well, edging it just over the 50% line. It even received the top score of 12 twice.

The album received the most middle-ground scores out of all other albums, with only a handful of voters giving it a high or low score. In fact 75% of voters ranked the album in the middle-ground (a score between 5 and 8 ).

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...pspxq0lus3.jpg

steel_horse75 05-12-2015 02:54 PM

Surprised HAND is so high.

Really poor album bar HAND, Dirty Little Secret, Last Man Standing (prefer boxset version), I am and Unbreakable.

Alphavictim 05-12-2015 06:20 PM

Good to see HAND so high. Easily my favourite post 2000 album. Although Bounce was the first one I got, the drum machines and super short solos were quite a bummer. HAND felt more complete, like more of an effort.

As for The Circle vs. WAN, The Circle feels like more of an album. WAN goes through various stages, with the second half actually being pretty decent, but featuring a ton of ballads. The Circle feels more connected.

danfan 05-13-2015 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1187641)
Surprised HAND is so high.

Really poor album bar HAND, Dirty Little Secret, Last Man Standing (prefer boxset version), I am and Unbreakable.

Unbreakable sucks.

I Want To Be Loved, Welcome To Wherever You Are, Complicated and Novocaine are all good tunes. Nothing would have been good had they recorded a proper version of it,

united17 05-13-2015 08:15 AM

I gave it a 12.

Love HAND, it's my favourite Bon Jovi album and in my top 3 favourite albums of all time. It was the album that got me into Bon Jovi.

I was 9 when I walked into Target and they had an entire shelf, about 1/3rd of aisle just with the HAND album in front (the red smirk face cover) and I picked that up and the lyrics made more and more sense to me over time. I started playing the guitar so I could play the title track.

steel_horse75 05-13-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1187672)
Unbreakable sucks.

I Want To Be Loved, Welcome To Wherever You Are, Complicated and Novocaine are all good tunes. Nothing would have been good had they recorded a proper version of it,

Welcome to Wherever you are needs to lose the line "God makes no mistakes" awful line.

polevka 05-13-2015 11:52 AM

What makes HAND stand out from the post 2000 albums: It feels compact (production & song quality), it tells stories and it has an attitude.

My least favorite (not counting bonus tracks): Bells of Freedom. But it's not a bad song.

KSantaFe 05-13-2015 01:00 PM

What I particularly love about HAND is Novocaine and I Want To Be Loved. They are both so unique in the scheme of things - especially Novocaine.

TwinFan 05-13-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1187677)
Welcome to Wherever you are needs to lose the line "God makes no mistakes" awful line.

I still can't believe the same man who wrote the entirety of the These Days album wrote that shit line just 10 years later.

Savvi 05-13-2015 02:21 PM

Never understood why people like Novocaine and Complicated. Theyre my least favourite songs on the album along with Wildflower.

Have a Nice Day and I Want To Be Loved are the standout tracks IMO. Love the lyrics of I Want to Be Loved. Last Man Standing, Dirty Little Secret and I Am are also good.

I like all three bonus tracks from HAND, as well as Nothing.

Savvi 05-13-2015 02:43 PM

Slippery When Wet
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_when_wet.jpg

TOTAL: 496 POINTS (76.5%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 12 (x7)
LOWEST SCORE: 3 (x2)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 9 (x15)
2009 RANKING: 4th
2012 RANKING: 4th

If you ever thought that one of the other 8 albums could ever crack the top 4, think again. There is a massive 161 points separating 4th and 5th. Slippery When Wet easily slides into the same position it has finished in the past 2 voting years, and it seems most of us would be happy with that considering 15 people ranked it in 4th place.

Receiving over 75% of total possible votes, it is unfortunate that unlike the top 3 albums, Slippery falls just 4 points short of the 500 point mark. 44% of people think Slippery deserves a higher honour than 4th.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psehtrntc1.jpg

Iceman 05-13-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1187682)
Never understood why people like Novocaine and Complicated. Theyre my least favourite songs on the album along with Wildflower.

Have a Nice Day and I Want To Be Loved are the standout tracks IMO. Love the lyrics of I Want to Be Loved. Last Man Standing, Dirty Little Secret and I Am are also good.

I like all three bonus tracks from HAND, as well as Nothing.

I can't understand the love for I Want To Be Loved. To me it's an awful, awful song. A carbon copy of everything and anything other bands were doing at the time, right down to the dropped-D -tuning and muffled sounds. Urgh.

Ice

Savvi 05-13-2015 03:12 PM

Keep the Faith
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...epTheFaith.jpg

TOTAL: 547 POINTS (84.4%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 12 (x10)
LOWEST SCORE: 4 (x1)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 10 (x15)
2009 RANKING: 3rd
2012 RANKING: 3rd

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. It seems no matter how close Keep the Faith gets, it can never snatch the silver or gold. In 2008 it fell just 8 points from 2nd place. While in 2012 the gap widened a little to 21 points, this year there is just 7 points separating Keep the Faith from 2nd place. Will the album ever take 2nd place?

It should be noted that there is another considerable jump from 4th to 3rd - 51 points to be exact. It shows that not only are the top 4 well above the rest, but the top 3 albums themselves are in a league of their own.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psagcghukb.jpg

Savvi 05-13-2015 03:47 PM

These Days
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bQWgop_daI...s+Bon+Jovi.png

TOTAL: 554 POINTS (85.5%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 12 (x19)
LOWEST SCORE: 5 (x1)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 12 (x19)
2009 RANKING: 2nd
2012 RANKING: 1st

The kind has lost its crown! 2012's winner, These Days, falls down a spot to 2nd, right where it finished in 2009. Despite it not taking out 1st place, These Days did receive the most top scores out of all other albums, with an impressive 19 people giving it a perfect score of 12. That means over a third of people consider These Days the best album ever produced by the band.

The album was actually sitting in 3rd place for quite a while when the votes were being tallied, behind Keep the Faith. However the last half of voters edged the album in front by just 7 points.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ps3jdvprsa.jpg

Savvi 05-13-2015 03:48 PM

New Jersey
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...New_Jersey.jpg

TOTAL: 576 POINTS (88.9%)
HIGHEST SCORE: 12 (x15)
LOWEST SCORE: 6 (x1)
MOST COMMON SCORE: 11 (x19)
2009 RANKING: 1st
2012 RANKING: 2nd

And there you have it... on 576 points, 22 points ahead of These Days , the best album as voted by Jovitalk for 2015 is New Jersey. Scoring nothing less than a 6, nearly 90% of people rank the album in their personal top 3 albums by the band. This is why the album finished in first place, despite receiving more 11 point votes than 12 points; In general, people tend to like New Jersey more than These Days, even though more people ranked These Days as #1.

It also breaks its own record for the highest amount of possible votes received, with 88.9%. Previously, the album held the record with 88.0% in 2009. After falling to 86.4% in 2012, it seems the album has come back stronger than ever this year, thus taking out 1st place.

Scorecard
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psj60ctgal.jpg

Savvi 05-13-2015 04:02 PM

Summary

In summary, with a total of 54 people voting this year, the final tally bored looked like this...

1. New Jersey [576]
2. These Days [554]
3. Keep The Faith [547]

4. Slippery When Wet [496]

5. Have a Nice Day [335]
6. Crush [323]

7. The Circle [270]
8. Bounce [264]
9. Lost Highway [254]

10. 7800° Fahrenheit [221]
11. Bon Jovi [204]

12. What About Now [148]

Here are the final results for the year in a graph to get a better sense of where each album stands.
Results - 2015
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psjlghjq2j.jpg

And here are this year's results when compared to the results of 2012 and 2009.
Results- 2009-2015
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psyz4ysxas.jpg

Thank you to everyone who voted. I hope everyone enjoyed this year's album rankings, and I hope to do it all again in 3 years time (when we will probably have album #13 to add to the list!).

Matrix15 05-13-2015 04:16 PM

Very interesting, thanks for doing this. im not suprised NJ won, an excellent album.

Its interesting to see how opinion of the circle has collapsed over time. I can't imagine anything similar happening to WAN given its already at rock bottom!

Bounce7800 05-13-2015 04:25 PM

I wonder if New Jersey was helped by the special edition release which has got us to revisit the album and that time period.

steel_horse75 05-13-2015 05:42 PM

These Days is (imo) over rated on these boards. I find it OK. Too miserable and too many slower songs for me.

Glad NJ won. Best album by a mile. Amazed it didnt sell more than SWW as its the much better of the two musically and lyrically.

TwinFan 05-13-2015 05:49 PM

I can live with the result. I'm just glad that These Days didn't win. I agree with steel_horse75 that it's overrated? Good album? Yeah. Better than New Jersy or Slippery? Hell no.

Rdkopper 05-13-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix15 (Post 1187691)
Its interesting to see how opinion of the circle has collapsed over time.

I wouldn't say it collapsed... It's still #3 out of the 8 post 2K albums....

It seems like Crush, HAND and TC all compete for that top post 2K spot each round.

Rdkopper 05-13-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1187699)
I can live with the result. I'm just glad that These Days didn't win. I agree with steel_horse75 that it's overrated? Good album? Yeah. Better than New Jersy or Slippery? Hell no.

I'll second this... or "like" if this was FB

steel_horse75 05-13-2015 06:48 PM

Need a like button on here!

Captain_jovi 05-13-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1187672)
Unbreakable sucks.

Unbreakble is my ultimate guilty pleasure.

To be fair Nothing WAS recorded as a proper version just unreleased. The bad quality has more to do with the bootleg than the version they recorded.