Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon's Voice (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69710)

Thierry 10-22-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1211121)
Is anyone on this board able to offer an explanation for Jon's vocal issues - I don't mean what has caused it, more about why he struggles on certain songs which to the untrained ear seem to be in a relatively easy key?

Singing live, how can he sound strong(ish) on tracks such as Come On Up To Our House then sound weak on tracks which do not seem to be any higher?

Stress! (Richie's leaving and bullshit with the record company)
Also extensive smoking doesn't help either.

Jeeper 10-22-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1211123)
Stress! (Richie's leaving and bullshit with the record company)
Also extensive smoking doesn't help either.

But why does he seem fairly strong voiced on certain songs then weaker than a new born on other songs that seem quite similar? Is that a breathing issue or just technique? (As well as those factors you mentioned)

Thierry 10-22-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1211126)
But why does he seem fairly strong voiced on certain songs then weaker than a new born on other songs that seem quite similar? Is that a breathing issue or just technique? (As well as those factors you mentioned)

Probably both, just watch the Cleveland 2013 show and listen to the European 2013 shows after that. You can clearly see what stress did to him, lost his confidence in his voice.

Jeeper 10-22-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 1211127)
Probably both, just watch the Cleveland 2013 show and listen to the European 2013 shows after that. You can clearly see what stress did to him, lost his confidence in his voice.

Yeah, the confidence thing has really taken a hold oF him.

I'm convinced that is a major reason why he retained Shanks as producer all these years. I understand the friendship and collaborations are a big factor, but I can imagine Jon being wary of bringing in a new producer who may not realise the extent of his vocal decline.

Thierry 10-22-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1211129)

I'm convinced that is a major reason why he retained Shanks as producer all these years. I understand the friendship and collaborations are a big factor, but I can imagine Jon being wary of bringing in a new producer who may not realise the extent of his vocal decline.

That's an interesting point of view, you could be very right sir.

liljovi93 10-22-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 1211129)

I've often thought this. Jon seems to be in his comfort zone and seems content to stay in his comfort zone. Shanks, just as much as anyone, will understand and know the problems with Jons vocals as he hears him day in-day out.

I never thought of it as a confidence or a psychological problem until we seen the video of Jon in the Karaoke bar and hit the Prayer notes better than he has in years.

When Jon is about to hit a note higher than a lower/mid range, you can see him almost prepare himself which is probably doing himself no favors. He's aware he has to go a bit higher and it's coming out strained.

Is he trying too hard? Has his upper range completely gone? Can he actually sing anymore?

I think the correct question is the first one.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

nikos greece 10-22-2016 02:56 PM

that karaoke video made the voice matter even more weird than it previous was...
he sings good in that clip...

someone correctly mentioned through the live stream it looked like he uses different techniques through the live,...

even during the speech after the second song jon looked too nervous and out of breath, of course he is getting older but maybe he has some serious anxiety issues the last years and tries to work them out...

if jon had confidence issues only he d be able to nail certain songs during rehearshals and casual gigs, it must be partialy phycological..i wonder if a surgery would help

Stiggy 10-22-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1211151)
that karaoke video made the voice matter even more weird than it previous was...
he sings good in that clip...

someone correctly mentioned through the live stream it looked like he uses different techniques through the live,...

even during the speech after the second song jon looked too nervous and out of breath, of course he is getting older but maybe he has some serious anxiety issues the last years and tries to work them out...

if jon had confidence issues only he d be able to nail certain songs during rehearshals and casual gigs, it must be partialy phycological..i wonder if a surgery would help

he is nasally now & I also wonder if this is due to adenoids but indeed anxious of the surgery if it goes wrong?

Jeeper 10-22-2016 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1211146)
I've often thought this. Jon seems to be in his comfort zone and seems content to stay in his comfort zone. Shanks, just as much as anyone, will understand and know the problems with Jons vocals as he hears him day in-day out.

I never thought of it as a confidence or a psychological problem until we seen the video of Jon in the Karaoke bar and hit the Prayer notes better than he has in years.

When Jon is about to hit a note higher than a lower/mid range, you can see him almost prepare himself which is probably doing himself no favors. He's aware he has to go a bit higher and it's coming out strained.

Is he trying too hard? Has his upper range completely gone? Can he actually sing anymore?

I think the correct question is the first one.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Agreed. He grips that mic stand like his life depends on it.

Vettetrax 10-26-2016 04:23 AM

Jon's voice on the howard stern show is the WORST i've ever heard Jon... He is pinching the high notes with everything he's got to get through bad medicine.. It was almost horrible.. He did MUCH better on IML and THINFS for obvious reasons... but wow was the older stuff bad.. I don't think it's anxiety or him "trying to hard", this man has been singing for 40 years, he knows what he's doing, he knows what works and what doesn't work..
Sadly, and I hate to say it, but his voice is shot.. be thankful it lasted this long lol.. We'll see major changes in the way he sings from now on just so he can get through a show/tour.

The band sounds great though!