Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   40th Anniversary Boxset (2025) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70845)

GabrielC 03-09-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1277953)
OHHH Thank you! Yah this has been there forever but I never took the time to translate it!

"Ainda Tenho Esperança" is just a portuguese version of Livin' on a Prayer

Litneg 03-11-2022 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1278026)
"Ainda Tenho Esperança" is just a portuguese version of Livin' on a Prayer

6-Ainda tenho esperança(Livin' on a prayer) Lado_2 - YouTube

lmao Portuguese from Portugal is funny as hell to listen to

Jay Jay 04-14-2022 04:43 AM

I'm hoping for multiple live shows to be part of the boxset from different times in there career. Would love to hear "Thorn in my side "and That's what the water made me" with decent live production and extend⁷ed solos.

Thinny 04-26-2022 11:31 PM

An interesting post from Ross Halfin today:

"Been looking through my Bon Jovi file recently for an upcoming project. I forgot just how much I shot them"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc09sNbIcia/

Surely this has to be something 40th Anniversary related?

rolo_tomachi 05-02-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1279428)
An interesting post from Ross Halfin today:

"Been looking through my Bon Jovi file recently for an upcoming project. I forgot just how much I shot them"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc09sNbIcia/

Surely this has to be something 40th Anniversary related?

That's fantastic. It would be great if the box set is launch in the first quarter of 2023.

nikos greece 05-03-2022 06:54 PM

i hope they surpass themselves, with live dvds and quality material..
the 1oo million fans was a great great boxset

rolo_tomachi 05-03-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1279840)

Yep. The optimum would be 50 studio tracks. No Live tracks please, because they don't usually choose great performances, so it's better if everything is studio tracks. The 2004 box set is so great for exactly that reason. But on the possible DVDs, it would be interesting to get some great shows never released.

Peter_Nik 05-03-2022 08:50 PM

It's still amaze me how naive are Bon Jovi fans... After disasters like: OWN: Live 1985-2001 :rolleyes: 2010 special editions, Greatest hits DVD : the ultimate video collection haha :D :D and especially the JBJ experience - I don't expect anything special from this band.. Maybe Jon will record a 1 minute video on his instagram with his incredibly sexy smile where he will sends a thank you to all his faithful fans for forty years of support and that will be it.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Nik (Post 1279843)
It's still amaze me how naive are Bon Jovi fans... After disasters like: OWN: Live 1985-2001 :rolleyes: 2010 special editions, Greatest hits DVD : the ultimate video collection haha :D :D and especially the JBJ experience - I don't expect anything special from this band.. Maybe Jon will record a 1 minute video on his instagram with his incredibly sexy smile where he will sends a thank you to all his faithful fans for forty years of support and that will be it.

One side is naïve, one side is bitter. Trick is to be right in the middle.

I have hope for this one. If the one thing we can compare it to is the thing that surpassed all of our expectations, I have hope. Even if I get five or six songs I truly treasure and 20 that "meh" me, there's still from the vault I want and it's not unrealistic to say this is the last chance they have to make any money on stuff no one will want until one of them dies. IT's dark but I'm not wrong.

nikos greece 05-03-2022 09:37 PM

its sad that many people here are so negative and insulting towards others..
there is a new boxset coming, some of us hope for sth good...the last boxset was great...why should we face insults ??
anyway being polite unfortunately is not a given

Captain_jovi 05-03-2022 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1279849)
its sad that many people here are so negative and insulting towards others..
there is a new boxset coming, some of us hope for sth good...the last boxset was great...why should we face insults ??
anyway being polite unfortunately is not a given

I've been biting my tongue but I've seen a weird subsection of fans taking glee in the state of the band. It's turned the board into such a depressing place. We can't have discussion anymore without people just ramming it in our faces how Jon sounds live.

The thread about what songs could you see Jon singing that are easier on his voice got ransacked by "He can't sing anything he sucks now" Yeah, it's hypothetical.

I apologize for the rant but the fun being sucked right out of the band has as much to do with the fanbase as it does the band.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 12:40 AM

I don't think the disappointment is because of Jon's voice. Sometimes, these types of releases have not lived up to the task.

Anyway, I think the Box Set will be a very good thing. On their 30th anniversary they didn't release anything special, so there must be a lot of things we don't know, and will find out soon. I have faith in this project, I'm just saying, I don't want them to add live tracks to this box, because you know what's going to happen, things like live versions of Lost Highway and We Werent Born To Follow again, and not cool..

The 2004 box set was great because they were studio tracks. Fingers crossed for 50 songs we don't know about, and if they include any familiar ones, I hope it's Nothing and Cadillac Man.

:D

Litneg 05-04-2022 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279855)
I don't think the disappointment is because of Jon's voice. Sometimes, these types of releases have not lived up to the task.

Anyway, I think the Box Set will be a very good thing. On their 30th anniversary they didn't release anything special, so there must be a lot of things we don't know, and will find out soon. I have faith in this project, I'm just saying, I don't want them to add live tracks to this box, because you know what's going to happen, things like live versions of Lost Highway and We Werent Born To Follow again, and not cool..

The 2004 box set was great because they were studio tracks. Fingers crossed for 50 songs we don't know about, and if they include any familiar ones, I hope it's Nothing and Cadillac Man.

:D

On familiar songs, I really, really wish The Sole Truth, Stay, Dirty Little Secret and Nothing were put on the BoxSet. These songs deserve to see the light of the day.

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1279859)
On familiar songs, I really, really wish The Sole Truth, Stay, Dirty Little Secret and Nothing were put on the BoxSet. These songs deserve to see the light of the day.

I'm of the mind that I don't want Dirty Little Secret and Stay, even if it's a different version. IT's seen the light of day enough as a bonus track but I don't want it taking the place of something I've never heard. I'd love a better version of Nothing and of course would go nuts for The Sole Truth.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1279859)

Stay and Dirty Little Secret was launch on official releases. It would be a waste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1279860)
I'm of the mind that I don't want Dirty Little Secret and Stay, even if it's a different version. IT's seen the light of day enough as a bonus track but I don't want it taking the place of something I've never heard. I'd love a better version of Nothing and of course would go nuts for The Sole Truth.

Right. The best thing would be for everything to be completely unpublished. Songs never heard before. That's why I loved Burning Bridges.

Litneg 05-04-2022 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279861)
Stay and Dirty Little Secret was launch on official releases. It would be a waste.

I know they were released on the Vinyl "Extras", but I mean as digital release.

blazeofglory 05-04-2022 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1279864)
I know they were released on the Vinyl "Extras", but I mean as digital release.

They were also released on CD - Dirty Little Secret is an international bonus track on Have A Nice Day and Stay is a B-side on the Say It Isn’t So CD single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Litneg 05-04-2022 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1279866)
They were also released on CD - Dirty Little Secret is an international bonus track on Have A Nice Day and Stay is a B-side on the Say It Isn’t So CD single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know about Dirty in the international edition. Always though it was an outtake 😅

steel_horse75 05-04-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1279840)

I think we are getting a bit beyond ourselves re this boxset.
When 100m was released Jovi were still a big deal. They aren’t any more record sales wise. The last few albums have tanked.
Only die hards will buy this like most boxsets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 11:45 AM

Some bands/Artists below Bon Jovi release box sets and stuff, there's no excuse not to launch a commemorative release with unreleased songs.

Let's wait and see, off course, Jon claimed that a Box Set would come, so let's see if he doesn't change his words over time.

I am very excited about the new box set, I have been waiting for this for a very long time.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1275779)
"Unreleased" as in "we have not heard these yet" or as in "stuff from the box set"?

It would be great if "we have not heard these yet"... and if they include something that we have heard, that at least has never been officially released, like "Nothing" that was a leak.

But honestly, I think this box set should be like Burning Bridges, all songs completely unreleased, because that way it will have more value.

Suppose they are going to release 4 discs, with 50 tracks. I hope they don't make the mistake of including songs that were released on singles or bonus tracks in the past. I can understand that in 2004, they decided to put some songs that were b-sides and so on... but in 2023, with the existence of youtube, where everything is there, it would seem like a big mistake and a waste if they included tracks that had been released in the past.

We know that they have more than 50 recordings that have not yet come to light. There should be no problem with the quantity.

James_86 05-04-2022 12:41 PM

I personally don't think there's that much 'good stuff' left in the vault. I'll be surprised if there's more than one disc of real unreleased material.

Besides, the target market isn't us anymore so alternative and live takes of Lost Highway songs, Born to Follow, Who Says etc are probably what those people want.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1279880)
I personally don't think there's that much 'good stuff' left in the vault. I'll be surprised if there's more than one disc of real unreleased material.

Besides, the target market isn't us anymore so alternative and live takes of Lost Highway songs, Born to Follow, Who Says etc are probably what those people want.

I don't think they include live tracks, it would be a bad decision.

Kriegentragen 05-04-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1279880)

I thought the same back in 2015… and then Burning Bridges came.

James_86 05-04-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriegentragen (Post 1279882)
I thought the same back in 2015… and then Burning Bridges came.

BB is OK, highly overrated by alot in here though I feel.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1279883)
BB is OK, highly overrated by alot in here though I feel.

What would be your ideal Box Set then?

James_86 05-04-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279884)
What would be your ideal Box Set then?

Anything from around Jersey, Faith and These Days and a HQ version of Nothing would be top of my list.

Again, I personally don't think there's too much left we haven't heard. I'm sure there's loads that Jon has hidden away but that doesn't mean they're complete or workable. I think there'll be one disc of rarities and a disc or two of live material.

Plus, as others have aluded to here already, Jon is a master of promising the world but offering very little. I don't think he has that much desire to reward the actual die hard fans. He'd have done it long ago if he wanted to.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1279885)
Anything from around Jersey, Faith and These Days and a HQ version of Nothing would be top of my list.

Again, I personally don't think there's too much left we haven't heard. I'm sure there's loads that Jon has hidden away but that doesn't mean they're complete or workable. I think there'll be one disc of rarities and a disc or two of live material.

Plus, as others have aluded to here already, Jon is a master of promising the world but offering very little. I don't think he has that much desire to reward the actual die hard fans. He'd have done it long ago if he wanted to.

Maybe Jon hasn't done it before because he was waiting for the right moment. I think he was saving that stuff to release on something like the 40th anniversary.

Most of the songs from the eighties and nineties were included in the 2004 box set, so I agree that I don't think there was more than one disc or two from those years. But this is a 40th anniversary, not a 20th anniversary part 2. So I also expect things from the last 20 years that we haven't heard yet.

As for the live stuff, it's a bad idea, because we already know what happened with the 2010 special editions and how disappointing it was, not to mention the scam that JBJ Experience is being. Also, put things live with studio tracks doesn't usually work well.

If they do finally get things live, I hope it will be on a different project, like that digital file Jon mentioned, or DVDs with full shows. They must follow this rule if they really wants to do something special for the fans.

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 03:55 PM

The argument that songs might be unfinished condition....keep in mind the strings to Blind Love were added for BB, acoustic guitar was added to I Get a Rush, pedal steel to River Runs Dry, Jeff Kazee added organ to some songs.

I don't know how much post-work was done BUT it's entirely feasible to add very basic track to a handful. I think a good point was made, there's a world of difference between a band 3 years after It's My Life selling out stadiums and the band today demand wise. It's nice to wish for 50 unreleased tracks but....I don't see it happening.

Unreleased songs fall into two categories: Songs we should have and songs we shouldn't. I can't get too mad if something that leaked from David's cassettes is released because we never were supposed to have it but including something like Walk Like A Man is just lazy.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 04:41 PM

We are not in 2004 ok, but now in 2022 the technology has advanced a lot, so adding some instrument to a demo is quite easy. Damn, even I could do it without having the demo with separate tracks. It's not expensive, so there is no excuse not to finish those songs if they have any potential.

Jon mentioned 40-50 songs, and he's talking about a boxset, so it's understandable to expect a boxset like 100 million fans...

You're not going to see another great opportunity to do this if you miss this train.

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279895)
We are not in 2004 ok, but now in 2022 the technology has advanced a lot, so adding some instrument to a demo is quite easy. Damn, even I could do it without having the demo with separate tracks. It's not expensive, so there is no excuse not to finish those songs if they have any potential.

Jon mentioned 40-50 songs, and he's talking about a boxset, so it's understandable to expect a boxset like 100 million fans...

You're not going to see another great opportunity to do this if you miss this train.

This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. You're setting yourself up to be let down if you're already saying "Well Jon said 40-50 so it will be like the last one". It's still early days. Hope is great but I really don't see this being as expansive as the last one given the market and state of interest. The last one only sold well because it was four discs otherwise nope.

bonjovi90 05-04-2022 06:30 PM

Given how little input and enthusiasm Jon had shown for the NJ Deluxe Edition and Burning Bridges, I'm curious as to how much he'll truly be involved in this Box Set, if it ever comes to fruition. Especially in terms of him really taking care about adding instrumentation or him leaving all that stuff up to Obie and Shanks.
Maybe he'll get inspired and needs to put out a record 'cause it only fits in this era (like when The Cirlce replaced Greatest Hits). :mrgreen:

I'm sure there's enough material in the vault, but if it was a 40-year Box Set, I wouldn't want it to be 90% of stuff from post-2005. With all the B-sides in the Bounce era, the reduced amount of demoing from HAND onwards and a number of tracks ending up on BB, I doubt they can make about 40 tracks with leftovers from this time frame anyway. Wouldn't mind some nice demos of songs we got later on. The KTF demo for Diamond Ring would've been vastly different to any versions we know with so much more instrumentation. Just as an example.

And I'd go as far as saying: if this time around, there won't be some live video from the archives, it'll never get released.

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279899)
Given how little input and enthusiasm Jon had shown for the NJ Deluxe Edition and Burning Bridges, I'm curious as to how much he'll truly be involved in this Box Set, if it ever comes to fruition. Especially in terms of him really taking care about adding instrumentation or him leaving all that stuff up to Obie and Shanks.
Maybe he'll get inspired and needs to put out a record 'cause it only fits in this era (like when The Cirlce replaced Greatest Hits). :mrgreen:

I'm sure there's enough material in the vault, but if it was a 40-year Box Set, I wouldn't want it to be 90% of stuff from post-2005. With all the B-sides in the Bounce era, the reduced amount of demoing from HAND onwards and a number of tracks ending up on BB, I doubt they can make about 40 tracks with leftovers from this time frame anyway. Wouldn't mind some nice demos of songs we got later on. The KTF demo for Diamond Ring would've been vastly different to any versions we know with so much more instrumentation. Just as an example.

And I'd go as far as saying: if this time around, there won't be some live video from the archives, it'll never get released.

YUP. You could easily easily easily fill 12 tracks with alternate takes of songs, lyrical changes, different productions etc.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 07:10 PM

I don't really agree with that thought. So what should I expect... shit on a stick?

No man, I know they're just wishes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing them.

I think Bon Jovi has at least a couple of songs for every album that we haven't heard, that's about 20 songs at least in the last 20 years. That is quite plausible. As for the 90s stuff, we know there are some Sex Sells songs that never came out, and then there are the SWW and NJ sessions, with various demos that were never officially released.

To say that they don't have enough material to fill 4 albums is simply false. Another thing is that you can't believe in this project, because the release always disappoints. Well, as I always say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

If in the end they don't comply with what is established, then bad luck, but don't lose hope, damn it.

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279906)
I don't really agree with that thought. So what should I expect... shit on a stick?

No man, I know they're just wishes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing them.

I think Bon Jovi has at least a couple of songs for every album that we haven't heard, that's about 20 songs at least in the last 20 years. That is quite plausible. As for the 90s stuff, we know there are some Sex Sells songs that never came out, and then there are the SWW and NJ sessions, with various demos that were never officially released.

To say that they don't have enough material to fill 4 albums is simply false. Another thing is that you can't believe in this project, because the release always disappoints. Well, as I always say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

If in the end they don't comply with what is established, then bad luck, but don't lose hope, damn it.

There's a big big big world of difference between "this is in the realm of reality because Jon said it is" and "Shit on a stick" though.

Hey, I agree with you. They have the material to make it happen the way we want. My point is more we are going to cut to three years from now, people calling out Jon for not doing what he said he would, releasing a major project to a world that doesn't want it. I believe this could be an amazing end product if they find a way to financially do it. Physical doesn't sell a fraction of what it used to. If they went digital with it, cut the overhead massively and give us some gems? That's the best chance.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 07:30 PM

I'm sorry, but if I have to dream, I want to do it big, later reality will hit me, but until then I want, I hope and I demand the best that they could give me.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7JjmMeA9Z...nda+cocina.gif
All I want Is Everything

bonjovi90 05-04-2022 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279910)
I'm sorry, but if I have to dream, I want to do it big, later reality will hit me, but until then I want, I hope and I demand the best that they could give me.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7JjmMeA9Z...nda+cocina.gif
All I want Is Everything

Doing it the other way around saves you a lot of disappointment in the Jovi world these days :mrgreen:

Ever since 2013, I didn't expect anything and then could say that I was pleasantly surprised to like some tracks on BB, the THINFS bonus ones and three on 2020. I could take it as a benefit. If I had gone for how big all might have been (also with regards to the Experience), I would've hated the outcome much more.

I believe it can be a nice release, but I can't see it being as big and with as much effort as the 2004 one, simply because they were so much bigger at the time. If we get a 4-disc set, unreleased Sex Sells album and one or two old live shows on top of that, then that's awesome and it'll extend my expectations. But if we get a 2-disc set, then I can just say that it was kind of to be expected whereas you'd go through the roof 'cause it could've been so much bigger :p

Captain_jovi 05-04-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279912)
Doing it the other way around saves you a lot of disappointment in the Jovi world these days :mrgreen:

Ever since 2013, I didn't expect anything and then could say that I was pleasantly surprised to like some tracks on BB, the THINFS bonus ones and three on 2020. I could take it as a benefit. If I had gone for how big all might have been (also with regards to the Experience), I would've hated the outcome much more.

I believe it can be a nice release, but I can't see it being as big and with as much effort as the 2004 one, simply because they were so much bigger at the time. If we get a 4-disc set, unreleased Sex Sells album and one or two old live shows on top of that, then that's awesome and it'll extend my expectations. But if we get a 2-disc set, then I can just say that it was kind of to be expected whereas you'd go through the roof 'cause it could've been so much bigger :p

This fits what I'm saying, yeah. I'm going to get a handful of songs I really like. If I get more, great. But if you're pissed off by the Experience and Sirius and the last ten years and STILL think this miraculous box set will be the be all end all? God bless ya but I can't do it.

rolo_tomachi 05-04-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1279913)
This fits what I'm saying, yeah. I'm going to get a handful of songs I really like. If I get more, great. But if you're pissed off by the Experience and Sirius and the last ten years and STILL think this miraculous box set will be the be all end all? God bless ya but I can't do it.

Let your ****ing imagination fly!!!!
https://c.tenor.com/sGnRtAezULEAAAAC/panda-rage.gif
captain_killjoy

B.J. Always 05-05-2022 01:42 AM

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who believe if you never expect anything you will never be disappointed. After not liking 2020 well enough to buy it plus the YouTubes of the 2022 Tour I can't say I'm looking forward to a boxset at all :(