Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Thinny 03-16-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1272872)
Just jumping in with some pedantry, the 2014 Calling Festival was in Clapham Common rather than Hyde Park :D

I remember Richie's performance as being very medium, but then I was already drunk by that point!

You're absolutely right, got my Parks mixed up!

I enjoyed the performance, I was watching from the Photo pit which was a pretty amazing experience. It certainly wasn't as bad a performance as some 2014 shows, but it was now 2012 either. A great day all round though.

Jovi98 03-16-2021 11:50 PM

steel_horse75 03-17-2021 10:28 AM

I remember Eddie Trunk said Richie played him about 8 tracks from RSO on a CD in his car and they were all excellent heavier rock tracks but none made the album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walleris 03-17-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1272882)
I remember Eddie Trunk said Richie played him about 8 tracks from RSO on a CD in his car and they were all excellent heavier rock tracks but none made the album.

Did he say this at the time or in hindsight? I listen to him semi-regularly, but I only remember him complementing those songs while interviewing Richie at the time.

Eddie is as much of a relationship manager as he is a critic. He prides himself in telling it "like it is", but he's not going to insult his interviewees to their faces. I don't blame him - that's part of his job and he probably learned from burning a few bridges earlier in his career (e.g. Paul Stanley, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford etc.). Nowadays, whenever he interviews someone who just put a new song out, he almost always says how "it sounds great", etc.

Captain_jovi 03-17-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1272883)
Did he say this at the time or in hindsight? I listen to him semi-regularly, but I only remember him complementing those songs while interviewing Richie at the time.

Eddie is as much of a relationship manager as he is a critic. He prides himself in telling it "like it is", but he's not going to insult his interviewees to their faces. I don't blame him - that's part of his job and he probably learned from burning a few bridges earlier in his career (e.g. Paul Stanley, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford etc.). Nowadays, whenever he interviews someone who just put a new song out, he almost always says how "it sounds great", etc.

I vaaaaaaaaaaaugely recall he was interviewing Ori when talking about the heavier songs not making the album. Lemme go check.

EDIT: Got it. https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1269872.html

Walleris 03-17-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1272884)
I vaaaaaaaaaaaugely recall he was interviewing Ori when talking about the heavier songs not making the album. Lemme go check.

EDIT: Got it. https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...st1269872.html

Thanks, I missed it.

GabrielC 03-17-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1272875)

I was so happy to see that he played that song. Bummer that he was horrible in it.

steel_horse75 03-17-2021 10:02 PM

I used to like Eddie trunk but if his podcast isn't full of adverts (which it is) then it's him telling everyone how great he is.

A lot of these people wont say what they really feel about a bands new music as they are worried they won't get an interview with the artist.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 03-25-2021 03:02 AM

https://instagram.ftru2-2.fna.fbcdn...._nc_sid=86f79a
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMtRm0kDvsV/

Jonny Sambora 04-05-2021 10:45 PM

https://fb.watch/4Hayc7nY6N/

snippets of 2 new songs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thinny 04-05-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Sambora (Post 1273064)
https://fb.watch/4Hayc7nY6N/
snippets of 2 new songs

Ok, those songs sound like a lot of fun. Very different, look forward to hearing more!

semigoodlooking 04-05-2021 11:54 PM

Richie Sambora

Captain_jovi 04-06-2021 12:19 AM

The first one is the one Tommy Lee was drumming on in that clip from whenever.

But yeah this is....different. I think in a good way. It's a real mixed bag of genres but neither feel that weak melodically. Parts of it feels like continuations from RSO style-wise.

rickysambo 04-06-2021 12:21 AM

1) Can hear a lot of Aftermath type flavours in the two snippets.
2) I don't prefer the busy style of production with multiple instruments clashing to claim attention, often ending up a muddy mess.
3) 100 songs!? This page will crash if he releases them all at once. Richie Kotzen released "50 for 50" last year (50 songs, 50 years old).
4) "I don't know when he's gonna release them" haha.

YOVANAfromPeru 04-06-2021 01:12 AM

100 years of waiting for this??

Captain_jovi 04-06-2021 02:03 AM

I am getting more and more curious about this. He's dipping a toe into the R&B/Soul area, something that reminds me a bit of These Days era, especially the b-sides. The drum beat in Bag of Nails is killer.

The Songs that Wrote My Life was brought up as an album title as early as 2019.

Rdkopper 04-06-2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1272831)
Richie has been out of Bon Jovi for 7 years now which could be a lifetime for some bands. That's like the Destination Anywhere tour to Have A Nice Day...

Someone posted that his story checks out for leaving Bon Jovi in regards to the extremely limited amount of music he released however within that time, he has also teased a lot of stuff from all sorts of music to artistic compilations.

RSO was a huge mistake. He should have released a solo album under his name that featured her as a guitarist with limited vocals. It seemed like he was moving forward with his own solo album until he revamped it. I wonder what happened to all those songs??

Now hes been teasing this newest project and for a while it seemed like we were going to hear something but again, it all just disappears.

I get Covid put a delay on things but to get nothing is a bit unusual.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

I know they read my posts...

This is so refreshing. I hope we get all these songs one day. I really liked the first one. The second one sounds like an RSO leftover.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

liljovi93 04-06-2021 07:40 AM

Not a fan, unfortunately.

Respect the fact it's a bit different but not my cup of tea. Awful lyrics to Bag Of Nails. Reminded me of Sugar Daddy.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

angelsambo 04-06-2021 09:42 AM

very strange way for richie to promote his new songs

rolo_tomachi 04-06-2021 11:12 AM

I loved the two new snippets. It sounds different to me, that's good, the guitar is more present in the mix, it feels organic. I really liked Richie's voice and his attitude too. That's Sambora's style. I can't wait to hear the rest.

Thierry 04-06-2021 01:35 PM

Absolutely horrific shit - Sambora is going Stevie Wonder area.. Too bad Richie used to be great..

DryCounty 04-06-2021 01:36 PM

Not a fan at all of the snippets. I respect that Richie wants to try something new but I can’t see this being what his fans have been waiting for. I was hoping for him to continue some of the great songwriting on Aftermath, like Seven Years Gone, Every Road, Weathering the Storm, You Can Only Get So High.

Then again if these are only two out of a hundred - I guess there might be some great stuff as well. If I would have only heard Sugar Daddy and Burn That Candle Down prior to Aftermath I wouldn’t have been att excited at all.

Rdkopper 04-06-2021 02:49 PM

This would have been perfect for The Experience.

"Here's what we have, here's what you'll get, but for some reason it'll never happen"

I am so sick of this shit when it comes to this band.... Teasers, snippets, 100 plus songs, etc.

Enough already! Just give us the completed material or say nothing!

JackieBlue 04-06-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1273076)
I loved the two new snippets. It sounds different to me, that's good, the guitar is more present in the mix, it feels organic. I really liked Richie's voice and his attitude too. That's Sambora's style. I can't wait to hear the rest.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up for me. :)

And, ftr, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little Stevie Wonder. JMO. :p :D

Captain_jovi 04-06-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1273079)
This would have been perfect for The Experience.

"Here's what we have, here's what you'll get, but for some reason it'll never happen"

I am so sick of this shit when it comes to this band.... Teasers, snippets, 100 plus songs, etc.

Enough already! Just give us the completed material or say nothing!

From a promotional standpoint, this is really smart. He's using a good friend that has a MASSIVE name in the guitar community with a decent sized audience to tease some of the new music. It's possible it will be a guitar heavy album and this is the audience he wants to go after. This is his first solo material since 2012, it's been a long wait, teasing a bit is pretty par for the course in marketing.

Eveline 04-06-2021 04:58 PM

Not sure if I like it. Definitely not a love at first listen. I'll wait till I hear the whole body of work, for now it sounds like a mess ;p

JoviForever 04-06-2021 06:20 PM

I don’t think Richie is focused enough and that’s the difference between Jon and Richie (amongst other things]! I don’t think he really knows what he wants in life or his career so everything is so haphazard including this!

semigoodlooking 04-07-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 1273083)
I don’t think he really knows what he wants in life.!

That's a bit of a stretch. I can't stand anything Richie has done professionally for a decade, but come on, how can we say he doesn't know what he wants in life? Even if you are on the drunk/drugged bandwagon, perhaps he wants to be a drunk druggie.

Could even argue he left Bon Jovi because he does really know what he wants in life.

Thinny 04-07-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273084)
That's a bit of a stretch. I can't stand anything Richie has done professionally for a decade, but come on, how can we say he doesn't know what he wants in life? Even if you are on the drunk/drugged bandwagon, perhaps he wants to be a drunk druggie.

Could even argue he left Bon Jovi because he does really know what he wants in life.

I agree completely. I think that professionally all Richie really wants now is to make the kind of music that he wants to make, when he wants to make it. And that's exactly what he's doing. He clearly has no interest in living his life on the road and in the studio and who can blame him.

People forget that most are looking to slow down and retire when you get into your 60s. Why should Richie be any different?

Javier 04-08-2021 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273087)
I agree completely. I think that professionally all Richie really wants now is to make the kind of music that he wants to make, when he wants to make it. And that's exactly what he's doing. He clearly has no interest in living his life on the road and in the studio and who can blame him.

People forget that most are looking to slow down and retire when you get into your 60s. Why should Richie be any different?

Quoted for truth!! I really doubt Richie has stars in his eyes or is dreaming of playing stadiums and arenas and having gold albums at this stage in his career. He wants to be creatively fulfilled and sometimes that creativity comes screaming out with many different styles and directions. I dont dig all of aftermath but I enjoy and admire that it sounds honest and from a pure place. I only hope for the same with anything he releases in the future....

GabrielC 04-08-2021 06:58 AM

I have such a weird feeling about this songs.
I KNOW the songs are good. I KNOW they are well crafted. I can hear it.
But, they are just not my style. It's not something I want to listen. This may be the first time I dislike a good song from this band.

steel_horse75 04-08-2021 09:16 AM

If those videos are recent then Richie looks well.
As for the songs first is better of the two but it’s not something I’ll be buying.

If he’s happy then good luck to him.

Captain_jovi 04-08-2021 02:10 PM

Bag of Nails is interesting, can't tell if it's about the band or not

Exile
Exile
I'm taking back my name
I'm taking back my name

Exile
Sweet Exile
I'll keep waiting for your hammer to fail
You keep shaking your bag of nails

Shaking my tail 'til I get out of jail

It's very reminiscent of some RSO (Rise for sure). I keep thinking of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. But the damn song will not leave my head.

JackieBlue 04-08-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273106)
Bag of Nails is interesting, can't tell if it's about the band or not

Exile
Exile
I'm taking back my name
I'm taking back my name

Exile
Sweet Exile
I'll keep waiting for your hammer to fail

Shaking my tail 'til I get out of jail

It's very reminiscent of some RSO (Rise for sure). I keep thinking of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. But the damn song will not leave my head.

Thank you! I wasn't sure I was hearing it right and I couldn't figure out "I'll keep waiting for your hammer to fail" at all :)

Between the verse and the "exile" chorus, I'm thinking it's about the band; but it's hard to tell without hearing the full song. Here's what I got in the verse:

Get outta line (?); don't turn back
Waiting for a ???
I'm grabbing my gun, leaving my pride
I'm really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
The rearview mirror don't have to lie
Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Not being able to hear what he sings before Norm picks up, I'm not sure about that first phrase. And you'll be my hero if you can tell me what he's "waiting for" in that 2nd line?

I agree it's an earworm. Last night it was driving me nuts bc I couldn't get it out of my head and every time it got to the repeated "Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye..." it would fade into the BeeGees' ("ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive...") :D

The chorus reminds me of something by Aerosmith but I can't pin it down.

Captain_jovi 04-08-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273108)
Thank you! I wasn't sure I was hearing it right and I couldn't figure out "I'll keep waiting for your hammer to fail" at all :)

Between the verse and the "exile" chorus, I'm thinking it's about the band; but it's hard to tell without hearing the full song. Here's what I got in the verse:

Get outta line (?); don't turn back
Waiting for a ???
I'm grabbing my gun, leaving my pride
The rearview mirror don't have to lie
Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Not being able to hear what he sings before Norm picks up, I'm not sure about that first phrase. And you'll be my hero if you can tell me what he's "waiting for" in that 2nd line?

I agree it's an earworm. Last night it was driving me nuts bc I couldn't get it out of my head and every time it got to the repeated "Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye..." it would fade into the BeeGees' ("ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive...") :D

The chorus reminds me of something by Aerosmith but I can't pin it down.

I'm pretty sure it's "waiting on a (?) heart attack" it almost sounds like "black hole heart attack" I'm not sure I know that term but I've also never heard the term "bag of nails" so not sure!

Nige 04-08-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273109)
... but I've also never heard the term "bag of nails" so not sure!

Opposite of Bed of Roses surely?

JackieBlue 04-08-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1273101)
If those videos are recent then Richie looks well.
As for the songs first is better of the two but it’s not something I’ll be buying.

If he’s happy then good luck to him.

The stage shows are from the 2012 Golden Heart Awards; and most of the pics in Norm's store are from 2015. The ones of him and Bob Rock are the most recent ones. From middle of last year, I think.

JackieBlue 04-08-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273109)
I'm pretty sure it's "waiting on a (?) heart attack" it almost sounds like "black hole heart attack" I'm not sure I know that term but I've also never heard the term "bag of nails" so not sure!

HA! 😁 "Black hole heart attack" is what I thought he said, too, but it didn't make sense to me, either. I figured I was just having another "shooting Judas" moment!

Mr. Google was no help on 'black hole heart attack'; but says "bag of nails" refers to 1) a popular corruption of the ancient inn sign, “The Bachannals", referring to a festival of drunken revelry, or to someone who indulges in drunken partying or is noisy and riotous when intoxicated; or 2) confusion, topsy-turvy, pointing every which way like the points of nails in a bag

Captain_jovi 04-08-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273114)
The stage shows are from the 2012 Golden Heart Awards; and most of the pics in Norm's store are from 2015. The ones of him and Bob Rock are the most recent ones. From middle of last year, I think.

I cannot believe this but the one of Bob Rock and Richie was Sept of 2018 (where is the time going)

This might be the most recent of them. Feb of 2019. Either way, dude is looking fit these days.

JackieBlue 04-08-2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273119)
I cannot believe this but the one of Bob Rock and Richie was Sept of 2018 (where is the time going)

Wow! Time flies when you're having fun, huh? :D