Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Santa Fe 04-11-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273108)
Thank you! I wasn't sure I was hearing it right and I couldn't figure out "I'll keep waiting for your hammer to fail" at all :)

Between the verse and the "exile" chorus, I'm thinking it's about the band; but it's hard to tell without hearing the full song. Here's what I got in the verse:

Get outta line (?); don't turn back
Waiting for a ???
I'm grabbing my gun, leaving my pride
I'm really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
The rearview mirror don't have to lie
I'm really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Not being able to hear what he sings before Norm picks up, I'm not sure about that first phrase. And you'll be my hero if you can tell me what he's "waiting for" in that 2nd line?

I agree it's an earworm. Last night it was driving me nuts bc I couldn't get it out of my head and every time it got to the repeated "Really gonna miss you while I kiss you goodbye..." it would fade into the BeeGees' ("ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive...") :D

The chorus reminds me of something by Aerosmith but I can't pin it down.

Thanks for that . Any idea about what he is saying on the first song snippet ?

JackieBlue 04-12-2021 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa Fe (Post 1273150)
Thanks for that . Any idea about what he is saying on the first song snippet ?

I dont know how much help I'll be on this one. I have more questions than lyrics. :roll:

But here's what I have. Maybe someone has a better idea and can edit it.

Brown Sugar, American Pie,
??? (to die?)
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey

???...???
Every second, boys,
All the young dudes making out, batting eyes...

At first I thought the first line was "Twisting at the Studio (or Silvio's or something like that); but I slowed it down and it sounded like he was saying "Bruce and nights at ..." whatever that last word is.

But I wouldn't swear to any of it, other than "Brown Sugar, American Pie," and "...'scuse me while I kiss the sky." :D

Captain_jovi 04-12-2021 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273155)
I dont know how much help I'll be on this one. I have more questions than lyrics. :roll:

But here's what I have. Maybe someone has a better idea and can edit it.

Brown Sugar, American Pie,
??? (to die?)
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey

???...???
Every second, boys,
All the young dudes making out, batting eyes...

At first I thought the first line was "Twisting at the Studio (or Silvio's or something like that); but I slowed it down and it sounded like he was saying "Bruce and nights at ..." whatever that last word is.

But I wouldn't swear to any of it, other than "Brown Sugar, American Pie," and "...'scuse me while I kiss the sky." :D

My gut tells me with the title of the song and the lyrics we've heard it's going to be references upon references to songs and artists of his youth. Fairly certain the next part is:

Bruce, Sinatra, Silvio (Silvio I'm not totally sure of)
Elvis and his boys
All the young dudes (referencing the Mott the Hoople song written by Bowie)
Making all that noise

JackieBlue 04-12-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273156)
My gut tells me with the title of the song and the lyrics we've heard it's going to be references upon references to songs and artists of his youth. Fairly certain the next part is:

Bruce, Sinatra, Silvio (Silvio I'm not totally sure of)
Elvis and his boys
All the young dudes (referencing the Mott the Hoople song written by Bowie)
Making all that noise

Ah, that makes so much more sense. :D
You really are my hero! I tried to understand how anything I heard fit in with the song references he started with. And I couldn't begin to fathom where he was going with dudes making out and batting eyes. (It might've helped if I had even known who Mott the Hoople was.) :D

Silvio could refer to Little Steven Van Zandt. When I searched "Silvio", thinking it might be a club, I had to weed through a gabillion results related to LSV as Silvio Dante in The Sopranos.

Captain_jovi 04-12-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1273158)
Ah, that makes so much more sense. :D
You really are my hero! I tried to understand how anything I heard fit in with the song references he started with. And I couldn't begin to fathom where he was going with dudes making out and batting eyes. (It might've helped if I had even known who Mott the Hoople was.) :D

Silvio could refer to Little Steven Van Zandt. When I searched "Silvio", thinking it might be a club, I had to weed through a gabillion results related to LSV as Silvio Dante in The Sopranos.

That's a fun point. Him and Steven are tight, wondering if he's referencing the character.

JackieBlue 04-12-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273160)
That's a fun point. Him and Steven are tight, wondering if he's referencing the character.

It would be one way to distinguish between LSV and Stevie Ray Vaughan or Little Stevie Wonder.

Unless, of course, he wanted to devote a verse to "Stevies That Wrote My Life.":D

(I'll show myself out....)

angelsambo 05-02-2021 02:45 AM

RICHIE SAMBORA EXCLUSIVE NEW MUSIC! - PART 2

YOVANAfromPeru 05-02-2021 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1273447)

RICHIE SAMBORA EXCLUSIVE NEW MUSIC! - PART 2 - YouTube

What is this???
https://media.giphy.com/media/AnH9Hm7GJBu9O/giphy.gif

liljovi93 05-02-2021 09:55 AM

Again, not impressed with the songs.

Sad story with Kyle too! Nice to hear Richie went out his way to put a smile on the young lads face.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

GabrielC 05-02-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1273447)

RICHIE SAMBORA EXCLUSIVE NEW MUSIC! - PART 2 - YouTube

Maybe I should give up on Richie solo songs. I hope someday we see old stuff released.

Thinny 05-02-2021 12:23 PM

I guess some people are just looking for Stranger Part two, but the fact is that was 30 years ago.

Pain sounds great to me. All That Giltters is very commercial sounding, this one will probably be a grower for me...

From what we've heard so far the album sounds very different from the previous solo albums. It will be an interesting record I think. Impossible to fully judge on just the clips, but looking forward to hearing more. I hope it comes out this year at some point!

Jonny Sambora 05-02-2021 01:01 PM

pain sounds like downside of love

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 05-02-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273453)
I guess some people are just looking for Stranger Part two, but the fact is that was 30 years ago.

Pain sounds great to me. All That Giltters is very commercial sounding, this one will probably be a grower for me...

From what we've heard so far the album sounds very different from the previous solo albums. It will be an interesting record I think. Impossible to fully judge on just the clips, but looking forward to hearing more. I hope it comes out this year at some point!

No. I think people are just looking for good music. Not over the top produced garbage.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Butters 05-02-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Sambora (Post 1273454)
pain sounds like downside of love

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolutely. It sounds great.

All That Glitters sounds interesting too.

thesedays2014 05-02-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1273455)
No. I think people are just looking for good music. Not over the top produced garbage.

Totally agree...he tried the pop scene with RSO and it was terrible...except for ‘Pain’, this project sounds very similar 😓.
I mean, if people liked it or he was successful...but he isn’t.

Captain_jovi 05-02-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1273451)
Maybe I should give up on Richie solo songs. I hope someday we see old stuff released.

Funnily enough Pain IS an old song. "PAIN WHERE THERE ONCE WAS A HEART" has been registered and copywritten for a looooong time. I feel like I've heard of that title since 2007ish?

I am going to put down a hat I will eat if All that Glitters isn't the single. I think I've enjoyed it the least but Thinny is right, it is VERY modern sounding. A little Dave Grohl-y in the verses (which isn't a bad thing, Nowadays feels like a FF song).

Thinny 05-02-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1273455)

Some people want Richie to produce the type of music they are expecting from him. Hence the comment "I hope he releases something old". Because it doesn't meet the expectations that some people have based on music that was written and recorded 30 years ago does not make it bad music. It just makes people's personal expectations unrealistic. Bon Jovi suffer from exactly the same thing as do any act that has been going for 30 + years. People want them to recreate the music that makes them feel nostagic. Artists generally are not interested in sounding exactly like they did 30 years ago. But a lot of fans want nothing more.
Aftermath didn't sound like Undiscovered Soul didn't sound like Stranger. Why would the new one would like any of those?

I for one have no interest in artists recreating the same albums over and over again. We have Stranger. I don't need Stranger redeux.

I'll judge the album when it's released. Some of what I've heard I really, like some of it I don't yet, but I'm not going to fall in love or crucify anything over a few short samples.

Thinny 05-02-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273459)
I am going to put down a hat I will eat if All that Glitters isn't the single. I think I've enjoyed it the least but Thinny is right, it is VERY modern sounding. A little Dave Grohl-y in the verses (which isn't a bad thing, Nowadays feels like a FF song).

Agreed on this. It has lead single written all over it.

Captain_jovi 05-02-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273460)
Some people want Richie to produce the type of music they are expecting from him. Hence the comment "I hope he releases something old". Because it doesn't meet the expectations that some people have based on music that was written and recorded 30 years ago does not make it bad music. It just makes people's personal expectations unrealistic. Bon Jovi suffer from exactly the same thing as do any act that has been going for 30 + years. People want them to recreate the music that makes them feel nostagic. Artists generally are not interested in sounding exactly like they did 30 years ago. But a lot of fans want nothing more.
Aftermath didn't sound like Undiscovered Soul didn't sound like Stranger. Why would the new one would like any of those?

I for one have no interest in artists recreating the same albums over and over again. We have Stranger. I don't need Stranger redeux.

I'll judge the album when it's released. Some of what I've heard I really, like some of it I don't yet, but I'm not going to fall in love or crucify anything over a few short samples.

I think a lot of it is, and before anyone come after me this is not a dig, Richie has never been the best lyricist. Song arranging, guitar playing, supporting the singer he has always been aces at. To me he's always had this soulful/bluesy element. Stranger was full of emotion and this....ethereal, otherworld-y production. It's the same problem the band has, when you pair a great voice with emotion, it doesn't matter what they're singing you just believe them, when they give it their all. You take a few of those elements away and you get middle-of-the-road pop/rock which there is a time and a place for. But a lot of what he's done since 1998 has missed that mark.

When it's too commercial it comes across pandering. Thank god I'm hearing elements in these 4 songs he's getting his swagger back. But I can see why this won't be for everyone.

Thinny 05-02-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273462)
But I can see why this won't be for everyone.

I can too. I get that. But that still doesn't make them "bad songs", just not to certain tastes. As I've said before, Richie isn't writing songs for us anymore, he's doing what he wants to do, making the music he wants, and more power to him for that.

I get what you are saying but I can't agree about Lyrics. The lyrics on Stranger spoke to me like no other album ever has when I was teenager (These Days being a close second). I could relate to so much of it. On every record there has been stuff that has grabbed me lyrically, including RSO.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273463)
I can too. I get that. But that still doesn't make them "bad songs", just not to certain tastes. As I've said before, Richie isn't writing songs for us anymore, he's doing what he wants to do, making the music he wants, and more power to him for that.

I get what you are saying but I can't agree about Lyrics. The lyrics on Stranger spoke to me like no other album ever has when I was teenager (These Days being a close second). I could relate to so much of it. On every record there has been stuff that has grabbed me lyrically, including RSO.

I think to me Strangers lyrics were so good because they were coming from such a soulful place. Thinking back I think I'm way off base including that album in what I'm saying.

You're right, yeah, these aren't bad songs, they're just not what they want Richie to be doing. We're already getting a mish-mash of styles and I can't pin down if I like that or not. RSO had that huge problem, it doesn't make for cohesive albums. It's the downside to recording a 100 songs in between albums, it's so jarring going from track to track. My fingers are crossed with this.

GabrielC 05-03-2021 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273459)
Funnily enough Pain IS an old song. "PAIN WHERE THERE ONCE WAS A HEART" has been registered and copywritten for a looooong time. I feel like I've heard of that title since 2007ish?

If Norman's history about the song is true, I don't think it's the same song.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2021 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273464)
I think to me Strangers lyrics were so good because they were coming from such a soulful place. Thinking back I think I'm way off base including that album in what I'm saying.

You're right, yeah, these aren't bad songs, they're just not what they want Richie to be doing. We're already getting a mish-mash of styles and I can't pin down if I like that or not. RSO had that huge problem, it doesn't make for cohesive albums. It's the downside to recording a 100 songs in between albums, it's so jarring going from track to track. My fingers are crossed with this.

Norm's story has nothing to do with the song though. He ended the anecdote talking about how the song isn't about Kyle, more to show what a good dude Richie is.

GabrielC 05-03-2021 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273460)

I'm not allowed to dislike the songs, then?
I love Aftermath and like some songs from RSO. I just don't like this new style Richie is taking. I am not expecting something, I just don't like what I've heard from the snippets. Will you allow me to disagree with you, or will you keep accusing someone that don't like something you like to be expecting Stranger 2?

adrianoizar 05-03-2021 03:08 AM

Samples of 4 New Songs

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1678

Artist : Richie Sambora
Album : Untitled
Genre : R&B
Year : 2021
Tracks : 4
Playtime : 00:04:29
Size : 19,84 MB
Codec : MPEG 1 Layer III / 320 kbps

01. All That Glitters (01:31)
02. Bag of Nails (00:54)
03. I Wrote My Life (00:46)
04. PAIN (01:16)

https://we.tl/t-1nO4zn12fP

GabrielC 05-03-2021 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273466)
Norm's story has nothing to do with the song though. He ended the anecdote talking about how the song isn't about Kyle, more to show what a good dude Richie is.

You are right, I missed the part he said that is not related

Rdkopper 05-03-2021 03:25 AM

I think the problem is within that same old production style we've all grown to hate.

This is something that the band starting doing from 2000 forward and even more so with the birth of Shanks starting in 2005...

A solo attempt from Richie (or hopefully Jon too one day) is an opportunity to break away from all that. To offer something diffent and maybe go back to their roots.

Fans want to see progression and this style is a regression. Its not that fans want Stanger Part 2 but they want to see that artist back who brought them to this point in time.

Anyone can write lyrics and hand them over to a producer and say, make a song out of this. That's what I feel Shanks does for Jon... and now Bob Rock is doing with Richie.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2021 04:03 AM

Like it or dislike it, horn heavy R&B tinted rock is new ground for Richie.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-03-2021 04:20 AM

It's like Richie wanna be young >_< jaja
it does sounds a lot like RSO
it's like RSO without Orianthi's voice
I don't listen his guitar shining
In other words, it's crap
I like when he sings with his guitar, simple
there's too much instruments to my taste in these latest songs
Actually, it's worse than RSO

Thinny 05-03-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1273467)
I'm not allowed to dislike the songs, then?
I love Aftermath and like some songs from RSO. I just don't like this new style Richie is taking. I am not expecting something, I just don't like what I've heard from the snippets. Will you allow me to disagree with you, or will you keep accusing someone that don't like something you like to be expecting Stranger 2?

What? You are the one that said "Maybe I should give up on Richie solo songs. I hope someday we see old stuff released." which implies that you would prefer the new music to sound like the old stuff. I never said that you wern't allowed to dislike something. Don't be ridiculous.

Captain_jovi 05-03-2021 04:33 PM

The more I listen to it the more All That Glitters has such a Shanks-y feeling to it. By that I mean it has that Killers/U2-guitar shimmer to it with over-processed drums.

That being said it's really growing on me.

Thinny 05-03-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273475)
The more I listen to it the more All That Glitters has such a Shanks-y feeling to it. By that I mean it has that Killers/U2-guitar shimmer to it with over-processed drums.

That being said it's really growing on me.

You're right it does, which is really odd as that's the direction that we all presumed Richie had a problem with. Everything in moderation I guess. It's definitely the one I like the least so far, but it is growing on me.

There was poppy production styles on RSO, but they didn't have a Shanks feel to them, which this does.

CKatz 05-03-2021 06:32 PM

Ranking the snippets heard so far:

1) Pain
2) Bag of Nails
3) All that Glitters
4) Songs that Wrote My Life

I really like the old school Rhythm & Blues direction of "Pain". I'd be very happy if the whole album was in that style.

steel_horse75 05-03-2021 06:37 PM

Pain sounded good. Richie can still sing.
All that Glitters sounded horrible pop pap.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

semigoodlooking 05-03-2021 10:41 PM

I think even those who like this new music will admit it is unlikely to be as good as Stranger. With that in mind, why wouldn't you want Stranger part 2? I mean, give me another amazing record even if it's the same as before over middle of the road (at best) new ideas... which aren't really new ideas anyway.

steel_horse75 05-04-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273479)
I think even those who like this new music will admit it is unlikely to be as good as Stranger. With that in mind, why wouldn't you want Stranger part 2? I mean, give me another amazing record even if it's the same as before over middle of the road (at best) new ideas... which aren't really new ideas anyway.

Stranger was excellent but if Jon is making poor records now I certainly don’t expect Richie to be making Stranger 2 either.
I’m happy he is doing what he wants as to me he can do what he likes as he is not in Bon Jovi any more whereas I feel Jon let’s the Bon Jovi legacy down with every new album as it’s so far away from what made Bon Jovi so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinny 05-04-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273479)

The problem is when artists try to recapture their signature sound from years before, usually it just sounds forced and tired.

For instance, I love Slang by Def Leppard. They tried something new and interesting, while at the same time you could still tell it was Def Leppard. Then they released Euphoria and tried to go back to their classic sound...and it was just a poor immitation of Hysteria.

When artists make albums to please a fan base, I always find them lacklustre and it will always get compared to the original, which it will never live up to.

I don't want Jon to make Slippery part two either. Can you even imagine how bad that would be?

semigoodlooking 05-04-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1273484)
The problem is when artists try to recapture their signature sound from years before, usually it just sounds forced and tired.

For instance, I love Slang by Def Leppard. They tried something new and interesting, while at the same time you could still tell it was Def Leppard. Then they released Euphoria and tried to go back to their classic sound...and it was just a poor immitation of Hysteria.

When artists make albums to please a fan base, I always find them lacklustre and it will always get compared to the original, which it will never live up to.

I don't want Jon to make Slippery part two either. Can you even imagine how bad that would be?

I don't know, maybe you're right. I was seeing it more from Slippery Part 2 (i.e. with the same quality of the original), not simply trying to recreate it. That said, I think I would love the beautiful mess of Jon trying to do a Slippery 2... what an interesting failure that would be.

Thinny 05-04-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273485)
I don't know, maybe you're right. I was seeing it more from Slippery Part 2 (i.e. with the same quality of the original), not simply trying to recreate it. That said, I think I would love the beautiful mess of Jon trying to do a Slippery 2... what an interesting failure that would be.

Honestly at 60ish I don't think either of them have anything near the same quality of material in them that they did in their 20s/30s. Not many do.

Alphavictim 05-04-2021 04:04 PM

Slippery part 2 exists, it's called New Jersey. Of course, the sound is way too rooted in the 80s to be an option for BJ the band nowadays. But the general sentiment - having something to prove, making a concise energetic upbeat record, taking extra steps (demoing a lot more, getting new personell in to help)... this would still be an option. Especially the part about demoing more, working on stuff more.