Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anything Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69483)

bonjovi90 02-16-2024 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1288055)
True but look at the time period. You can admit ten years later something is a failure but you can't do it a few months after. When We Were Beautiful making the greatest hits second disc was wild but that probably needed a ton of padding (Lost Highway, in no way shape or form, was a hit) but Blood on Blood was barely a single and made it so it's all very....weird. Misunderstood had more of a reason to be there than those 3.

Same goes for Fahrenheit. Only Lonely had charted better than In And Out Of Love I think but the latter was both on Cross Road and the Greatest Hits compilation.

steel_horse75 02-16-2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1288032)
Funnily enough, I was watching Shepherds Bush show yesterday and forgot how Jon said 'Everyday' he heard is going to number 1 in the UK or something. It didn't. It was 5 (I think) so that not doing as well as he thought probably hurt a little.

Single choices are always a tricky one in regards to Bon Jovi. So many others I'd choose over what they did but can see why they chose some.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I really thought Everyday was gonna give the band their 1st no 1 single in UK. But it came out same week as Pinks Like a Pill. BJ were leading all week and on the Sat slipped to 4 or 5.

They were really unlucky with Always in the UK as Wet Wet Wet kept them off the top for 8 weeks and Always went from 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 2 and went on like that for weeks. Then Wet Wet Wet pulled their single and just when you thought Always would hit No 1 = Whigfields Saturday night entered at No 1 and Always slipped down the charts. I still think Whigfields song was fixed to go to no 1. But thats probably me being bitter.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Jonny Sambora 02-16-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1288060)
I really thought Everyday was gonna give the band their 1st no 1 single in UK. But it came out same week as Pinks Like a Pill. BJ were leading all week and on the Sat slipped to 4 or 5.

They were really unlucky with Always in the UK as Wet Wet Wet kept them off the top for 8 weeks and Always went from 4 to 3 to 2 to 3 to 2 and went on like that for weeks. Then Wet Wet Wet pulled their single and just when you thought Always would hit No 1 = Whigfields Saturday night entered at No 1 and Always slipped down the charts. I still think Whigfields song was fixed to go to no 1. But thats probably me being bitter.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

I am certainly still bitter [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Thinny 02-16-2024 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1288056)
Same goes for Fahrenheit. Only Lonely had charted better than In And Out Of Love I think but the latter was both on Cross Road and the Greatest Hits compilation.

Difference was that In & Out Of Love was a single worldwide, whereas Only Lonely was only a single in US and Japan, so In & Out made more sense in that way.

bonjovi90 02-16-2024 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288062)
Difference was that In & Out Of Love was a single worldwide, whereas Only Lonely was only a single in US and Japan, so In & Out made more sense in that way.

Are you sure about that? It didn't enter the Top 100 in Germany I think (though neither did In And Out Of Love) but my dad used to have this single:
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/2...U6Mzc5NTI1Ng==
Printed in Holland, I don't think it was for US or Japanese markets.
And they did promo here in Germany where it was announced as their new single. Don't think it would've been done if it wasn't on the market at the time:

Thinny 02-16-2024 12:58 PM

We definitely didn't get Only Lonely in the UK. In & Out was the first single, followed by Hardest Part. But looking at Discogs you could be right. I can't see a Euro release for In & Out, only UK/US/Jap/Canada, so it looks like you guys got Only Lonely instead! I always thought In & Out was a single everywhere! You learn something new every day!

Jovi98 02-17-2024 02:59 PM

We talked a lot about Jon's voice, but we didn't talk what would have happened if Jon hadn't had vocal cords problems...

In your opinion if Jon hadn't had vocal cord problems, nowdays he would still have had a voice at least similar he had in the HAND tour?

(Ok his voice it's slightly changed even in the previous Era), but since early 00's it's changed a lot time his voice while he sang even between one year and another.
Idk if his vocal cords problems are really started in that time(i would say yes, but...).

I only say that seems that Jon also tried to change his technique of singing various times to move forward since then.

There was one period that he sang during the new single's promotion in different way than the tour but he was really good the same:D;

Now he did the chirurgical intervent and i hope it will be usefull for him to get a little improvement...(after whatched the Musicares event i say yes he did, but we should wait to see him in one long concert).

Thinny 02-17-2024 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1288098)
There was one period that he sang during the new single's promotion in different way than the tour but he was really good the same:D;

I don't think you can really compare the two. The way he sings in a 2 hr 30 minute show will be different to a few songs on TV, because he will be singing in a way to preserve his voice for the whole show, where as for a TV performance he doesn't need to worry about that. I always felt like he would sing different and promo shows too that would generally be between 1 hr to 1hr 30 to how he would sing a full show.

I also think he didn't really think about that so much in the 90s which would why he would often go for it during a full show, but I guess when you are younger you have more stamina.

Jovi98 02-17-2024 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288099)
I don't think you can really compare the two. The way he sings in a 2 hr 30 minute show will be different to a few songs on TV, because he will be singing in a way to preserve his voice for the whole show, where as for a TV performance he doesn't need to worry about that. I always felt like he would sing different and promo shows too that would generally be between 1 hr to 1hr 30 to how he would sing a full show.

I also think he didn't really think about that so much in the 90s which would why he would often go for it during a full show, but I guess when you are younger you have more stamina.

Yes, i know that in that time he sang in different way during HAND tour than the tv promotions also to preserve his voice for the whole show, but since the LH era he sang during the tv promotions shows almost in the same way than he did in the tours(sometimes he was better in tours, he did some great performance during LH, TC tours ecc...).

In the HAND era there was a bigger difference between him in tour and him during the tv promotions...

Thinny 02-17-2024 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1288101)
Yes, i know that in that time he sang in different way during HAND tour than the tv promotions also to preserve his voice for the whole show, but since the LH era he sang during the tv promotions shows almost in the same way than he did in the tours(sometimes he was better in tours, he did some great performance during LH, TC tours ecc...).

The nature of the LH songs were different IMHO. Songs like Lost Highway and Make A Memory are much easier to sing than Have A Nice Day for instance. It's a different beast vocally completely. Those songs aren't going to wreck your voice like Have A Nice Day could.

blazeofglory 02-17-2024 03:48 PM

I think if he didn’t have vocal cord problems his voice would probably be reminiscent of 2008-2011, but more aged. I think he would’ve stuck to the technical approaches he switched to around the LH era as they expanded his range from what he was working with in the early-mid 2000s and are overall more sustainable and healthy for the voice. Even without vocal cord problems aging still affects the voice, so I don’t think his voice would still be the same now as it was in his early-mid 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GabrielC 02-18-2024 02:16 AM

I think without the vocal cord issues, Jon would be in late-2013/2014 KOS level vocally.

I really think his decline in 2013 is more due to strain and stress than physical problems.

Thinny 02-18-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1288106)
I really think his decline in 2013 is more due to strain and stress than physical problems.

Jon confirmed that he had be struggling with the issue for 10 years. It was the same problem from 2013 onwards, they are not seperate issues, it just got worse over time. Can we please put to bed the ridiculous assumption that Jon's problems were not physical now?

Butters 02-18-2024 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288115)
Jon confirmed that he had be struggling with the issue for 10 years. It was the same problem from 2013 onwards, they are not seperate issues, it just got worse over time. Can we please put to bed the ridiculous assumption that Jon's problems were not physical now?

Ah come on now, it's all about the stress of Richie leaving the band.

Thinny 02-18-2024 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1288116)
Ah come on now, it's all about the stress of Richie leaving the band.

:rolleyes: No, I think Richie was sticking a pin in the throat of his JBJ voodoo doll... :mrgreen:

GabrielC 02-19-2024 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288115)

10 years can very well be from 2014 onwards. I don't see how its "ridiculous" that his vocal decline could have started from natural decline of him getting older instead of his vocal cords disease, since his vocals have declined in other occasions before.

bonboy25 02-19-2024 01:39 AM

My own opinion, I think his vocal injury has been there since 2002-2003. There is a huge change in his pronunciation and tone between crush and bounce tours. I think the 10 year comment by Jon is potentially talking about it being a real struggle/impossible to overcome.

Remember crush tour, Jon was doing some of the best vocal performances of songs in his career, eg I Believe. Then during the bounce tour, he could barely perform These Days/Always. Bare in mind these are very vocally challenging songs, but so is I Believe.

If this is the case, I wonder how Jon would sound if his voice just aged?

Supersonic 02-19-2024 07:00 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1288119)
Remember crush tour, Jon was doing some of the best vocal performances of songs in his career, eg I Believe. Then during the bounce tour, he could barely perform These Days/Always. Bare in mind these are very vocally challenging songs, but so is I Believe.

You should listen to more bootlegs of the Crush tour.

Jon's voice has always been in decline. With the exception of the Lost Highway and The Circle Tours, every subsequent tour had worse vocals than the previous tour. It's only when his mid-register took a hit that it became obvious to the majority.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Butters 02-19-2024 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1288117)
:rolleyes: No, I think Richie was sticking a pin in the throat of his JBJ voodoo doll... :mrgreen:

Ah, good point. That must be it alright.

Thinny 02-19-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1288118)
10 years can very well be from 2014 onwards. I don't see how its "ridiculous" that his vocal decline could have started from natural decline of him getting older instead of his vocal cords disease, since his vocals have declined in other occasions before.

I've no doubt that there were lots of factors, but all of them including age are physical factors. I thought you were to referring to the common assumption between certain fans that Jon's vocal issues were more a mental/confidence issue, which was always utter nonsense.

Alphavictim 02-19-2024 03:09 PM

IMO JBJ's vocal peak was the Cross Road era. On the TD tour, he sounded slightly worse than before (wasn't it around this time that he started smoking too?), and for Destination Anywhere, he even sorta admitted as much and went for a vocal range that better fit his natural range.

That didn't quite work, so back to the stratosphere again for Crush it was. He sounded slightly worse yet again, although still powerful, still singing outside his comfortable reach. But he had hits! Everybody on this board complained about how terrible his voice had gotten at that point; or at the very latest, did so during the Bounce tour.

Alphavictim 02-23-2024 12:03 AM

Using this thread...

I realized that the only copy of KTF I have is a super beat up second hand copy of the European release (so including Save A Prayer). I know that my dad has a weird white tray faux 2CD-version (regular one CD version, but the jewel case is for 2 CDs?). Was there ever a 2CD version of KTF? Are there any noteworthy, particularly worthwhile releases? With SWW and NJ it's obvious that they got enhanced rereleases with bonus stuff, but I don't know about KTF

blazeofglory 02-23-2024 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1288182)
Using this thread...

I realized that the only copy of KTF I have is a super beat up second hand copy of the European release (so including Save A Prayer). I know that my dad has a weird white tray faux 2CD-version (regular one CD version, but the jewel case is for 2 CDs?). Was there ever a 2CD version of KTF? Are there any noteworthy, particularly worthwhile releases? With SWW and NJ it's obvious that they got enhanced rereleases with bonus stuff, but I don't know about KTF

Just looking at the versions available on Discogs there were 2CD releases in Europe, Canada and Japan that had 7 (Japan) or 8 (Europe & Canada) live tracks on the second CD in 1993. Spain even got a 3CD version with 4 acoustic tracks on the third CD. Japan got another 2CD version in 1998 featuring live tracks, the bonus tracks (so Save A Prayer and Starting All Over Again) and Cama De Rosas on the second CD.

Jovi98 02-23-2024 01:29 PM

In my opinion it's Probably one of the better songs of the THINFS album and also the live performance was very enjoyable.

I can't understand why they played it only a couple of times live...

What do you think about the live version of Born Again Tomorrow?

Butters 02-23-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1288189)
Bon Jovi - Tidal Show - Born Again Tomorrow - YouTube

Musically, I like it, but I can't listen to it because of how bad Jon sounds.

Logan72 02-23-2024 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1288129)
IMO JBJ's vocal peak was the Cross Road era. On the TD tour, he sounded slightly worse than before (wasn't it around this time that he started smoking too?), and for Destination Anywhere, he even sorta admitted as much and went for a vocal range that better fit his natural range.

That didn't quite work, so back to the stratosphere again for Crush it was. He sounded slightly worse yet again, although still powerful, still singing outside his comfortable reach. But he had hits! Everybody on this board complained about how terrible his voice had gotten at that point; or at the very latest, did so during the Bounce tour.

I agree that the mid 90s was his peak and I do think he carried it well past 2000 too - his performances on the crush tour were very good and I don't think anyone was predicting that he'd barely have another 10 years of quality live stadium singing in him even around HAND. Like I say though, in 95-96 it was effortless and he knew what and what not to do. Always at Wembley was the best version for me and then when you watch the live video it's like he barely has to think about it. He was the man - and had that same aura of 'look how easy this is and how powerful my voice is' that I used to think when watching Michael Hutchence too.

Alphavictim 02-23-2024 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1288183)
Just looking at the versions available on Discogs there were 2CD releases in Europe, Canada and Japan that had 7 (Japan) or 8 (Europe & Canada) live tracks on the second CD in 1993. Spain even got a 3CD version with 4 acoustic tracks on the third CD. Japan got another 2CD version in 1998 featuring live tracks, the bonus tracks (so Save A Prayer and Starting All Over Again) and Cama De Rosas on the second CD.

Hmmm might go for the Japanese 1998 copy then. Thanks!

Nige 02-24-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1288189)
Bon Jovi - Tidal Show - Born Again Tomorrow - YouTube

In my opinion it's Probably one of the better songs of the THINFS album and also the live performance was very enjoyable.

I can't understand why they played it only a couple of times live...

Polar opposite for me - really really hate it. One of the worst songs in the entire catalogue to my ears. Live version not an improvement.

Supersonic 02-24-2024 02:06 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan72 (Post 1288199)
Like I say though, in 95-96 it was effortless and he knew what and what not to do. Always at Wembley was the best version for me and then when you watch the live video it's like he barely has to think about it. He was the man - and had that same aura of 'look how easy this is and how powerful my voice is' that I used to think when watching Michael Hutchence too.

Jon Bon Jovi damaged his voice during your effortless performance. He became raspy an hour into the show. There's a reason why none of that showed up on the initial TV broadcast and eventual VHS. Fans saying 1995-1996 was effortless really should listen to more bootlegs.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

nikos greece 02-24-2024 02:44 PM

Always is a really tough song to sing..

On another note i still have hope we ll eventually get a couple of unreleased pro shots remastered live videos from the 90s

bonjovi90 02-24-2024 02:56 PM

Picking up on that. There's a misconception that Jon's voice was always good in the 90's. It was actually a lot of up and down. Sure, even the bad nights were on a pretty solid level. But 1993 had a lot of fluctuations, he was struggling at the start of the tour (listen to things like East Rutherford or Ottawa early on), then ramped up near the end of the first US leg, carried it through Europe to Japan and then had to go more into "preservation mode" for the second half of the year (meaning that the voice was still there, but he used much less rasp, dodged some demanding lines and started switching songs like In These Arms or Dry County in and out).
Going into 1995, it was a good level throughout, but really ramped up from the summer tour onwards to the year's final in South Africa.
London was great, Always spot on, but what "killed" him there was them playing three 150/160 min shows on three consecutive nights. Night 2 was stellar and far better than round 1 and 3. Lord knows why they chose to record on Sunday instead of Saturday, given their own experience from past tours. From the encore onwards, his voice fell flat in comparison to the standards back then. There's a reason why the second half of the show was only put on the video with Hey God, Wanted and TAALS (all of them had overdubbed vocal lines in there). In Bed Of Roses, Richie almost doubled him on the entire song and These Days was really disappointing.
If you listen to the unaltered show from the radio broadcast, you notice it much more:

Always was absolutely great, no doubt! But the performances from Night 2 in London and Jones Beach or from Burgettstown and Milwaukee might just have edged it out for me.
In fact, during all their 4 big albums, the most stable his voice was for a consecutive period was 1989 :D

Logan72 02-24-2024 08:04 PM

Such great information and really useful getting the full picture. I remember listening to the live radio broadcast at the time (still have it) and was just so happy with the sound quality...alot of that was the whole sound with me as much as Jon's singing but I remember the first half much more and never realised he tailed off as it went on or even damaged his voice specifically. And I thought the official b-sides of it were about the best the band could be.

I've got a pleasing smile about the 1989 comment. I'm kind of obsessed with the New Jersey tour performances (I joined the forum about the live versions and the cancelled live album). Even now, I'm loving the obi 1989 and wembley arena 1988 performances on the archive and am improving my collection all the time! He does sound good, but always thought he got better 93-96! Maybe he didn't and was never 100% consistent any period.

steel_horse75 03-11-2024 07:45 PM

Jon and Brett Michael's at a race track this weekend.

Would love a Jovi / Poison tourhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bd480de951.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Jovi98 03-20-2024 08:46 PM

About one song that I love… Mystery Train

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-YPr...eSB0cmFpbiA%3D

At the minute 3:43

It was an error in the final mix when the song it was made that seems almost a hiccup by Jon?

Rdkopper 03-20-2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1289188)
About one song that I love… Mystery Train

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-YPr...eSB0cmFpbiA%3D

At the minute 3:43

It was an error in the final mix when the song it was made that seems almost a hiccup by Jon?

I've always noticed that too. I just thought it was just a digital bleep.

Nige 03-21-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1289189)
I've always noticed that too. I just thought it was just a digital bleep.

Sounds like a very quick intake of breath to me.

bonjovi90 03-21-2024 11:36 AM

And the breath intakes on Just Older are much worse[emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 03-21-2024 02:02 PM

I think I've asked this brefore but can't find the links, does anyone have the video of Phil recording the Walls solo / Shanks and Phil recording the backing vocals?

Jovi98 03-21-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1289204)
I think I've asked this brefore but can't find the links, does anyone have the video of Phil recording the Walls solo / Shanks and Phil recording the backing vocals?

I can't find Phil recording the walls solo anymore nowhere.

I just found this...

https://www.facebook.com/PhilXFanClu...2462893815571/

bonboy25 03-25-2024 07:16 PM

Interesting. Jon seems happy to air the dirty laundry....
https://youtu.be/itzP9I7k6lM?si=irfuVTnFxQFS_bqT