Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Richie Sambora!!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70391)

Thinny 07-12-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1274700)
Maybe the snippets are being “released” with the hope of getting a label or distributor interested.

Unlikley, that's not really how it works. You'll get zero label interest this way. They'd approach labels directly, management will be putting the feelers out and talking to labels, sending them samples. Ori has a deal with Frontiers, so that's one avenue, although not sure how they'd feel about it not being a rock record. RSO was on BMG so they will talk to them directly also. Is Doc still managing Richie? If so, he will have plenty of contacts.

Captain_jovi 07-13-2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274701)
Unlikley, that's not really how it works. You'll get zero label interest this way. They'd approach labels directly, management will be putting the feelers out and talking to labels, sending them samples. Ori has a deal with Frontiers, so that's one avenue, although not sure how they'd feel about it not being a rock record. RSO was on BMG so they will talk to them directly also. Is Doc still managing Richie? If so, he will have plenty of contacts.

If Doc was involved I think more would be happening by now. Or he's so low on his totem pole between Kiss and others maybe he is, I don't know.

steel_horse75 07-13-2021 08:18 AM

Just so odd this albums been finished for ages and no release date

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinny 07-13-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1274702)
If Doc was involved I think more would be happening by now. Or he's so low on his totem pole between Kiss and others maybe he is, I don't know.

According to the McGhee entertainment website i just found they only have Kiss, Ted Nugent, Down Paul Stanely and Caleb Johnson now.

Thinny 07-13-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1274705)
Just so odd this albums been finished for ages and no release date

A lot of labels still have a backlog of releases from last year, so signing new artists os not really a priority at the mo. Getting the right deal can also take a while, Richie is probably holding out for the right label and doesn't want to make the same mistakes as RSO (hopefully).

I do wonder who is managing him now, as it's not McGhee...maybe he's looking to get management in place first. There are a lot of cogs in the machine, so it can take more time that people think. It's not like Richie is an act that sells huge amounts and can walk into a great label deal - it takes work and negotiations.

semigoodlooking 07-13-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274707)
It's not like Richie is an act that sells huge amounts and can walk into a great label deal - it takes work and negotiations.

This is important if a lack of label support is what's holding back an album. Richie may not be able to find a label that gives him what he wants. Still, in this age he isn't going to be making money off this album, so there are other ways to release it without a label.

Thinny 07-13-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1274708)
This is important if a lack of label support is what's holding back an album. Richie may not be able to find a label that gives him what he wants. Still, in this age he isn't going to be making money off this album, so there are other ways to release it without a label.

I doubt it's really about money at all for Richie, but more about exposure. The RSO album was released with no promo or fanfair. Even a lot fans didn't have a clue it was out. He needs to avoid a mess like that again. There's no point making an album that you are proud of and then nobody knows it's been released.

You're right, you can totally do it without a label, but that's a lot of work and takes a lot of time to get right (again could be a reason for the delay). A label already has distribution, manufacturing etc in place, so that would be the easiest option all round. I think a good strong Indie label is the way to go. Unfortunately I think the bad experience with the leak and then the label going under just after Aftermath was released may have put him off the Indies.

Captain_jovi 07-13-2021 07:15 PM

I mean to be fair the leak was from his own damn camp.

Thinny 07-13-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1274710)
I mean to be fair the leak was from his own damn camp.

Was it? How do we know that?

JackieBlue 07-13-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274711)
Was it? How do we know that?

I'm pretty sure Richie's buddy, Phil Cassens (?), posted it on Soundcloud. I don't remember his role; but he was working with Richie on the album.

Thinny 07-13-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1274712)
I'm pretty sure Richie's buddy, Phil Cassens (?), posted it on Soundcloud. I don't remember his role; but he was working with Richie on the album.

Interesting, I never knew that, thanks. What a silly move that was!

Captain_jovi 07-13-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1274712)

Yup yup. He co-wrote Learning How to Fly With a Broken Win and I THINK one other (maybe You Can only get so high?)

It was from his personal soundcloud that had rough mixes of the songs. A select few people found it by accident, it was up for a week or two under Aftermath of the Lowdown. View count was pretty low but as soon as Richie announced the title and people started googling it, it was just about the only link for it.

It really did feel like a genuine mistake, not realizing it was set to public not private. I never thought it was intentional. To be honest some days I feel really bad I didn't do more to let his camp know it was up to help stop the leak before it happened.

Alphavictim 07-13-2021 11:14 PM

Well that was the whole reason Forgiveness Street is widely available, no?

bonjovi90 07-13-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1274715)
Well that was the whole reason Forgiveness Street is widely available, no?

Yes. I think the leak was easily something like 3 months prior to the official release? Didn't something similar happen with Undiscovered Soul in Japan as well?

Thinny 07-13-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1274716)
Yes. I think the leak was easily something like 3 months prior to the official release? Didn't something similar happen with Undiscovered Soul in Japan as well?

Someone posted something about that recently, but I'm not sure that is correct. I certainly didn't hear it until I got a hold of the early Japanese release and don't remember anything about a leak, but then they were different times and people were still trading rather than downloading. I always thought it was because Richie was over there doing a lot of promo with a Japanese artist that he did a single with and the label wanted to cash in on that, but I could be wrong.

Alphavictim 07-14-2021 12:03 AM

The Japanese version of Undiscovered Soul was RELEASED early, as in: Sold. As far as I know, it wasn't like the scenario with - for example - Kiss, where a bootleg of a still unreleased album was sold, but the Japanese label just officially released the (as of then unfinished) album early. So I'd say it's quite different, especially compared to a leak.

And I don't remember how early the Aftermath leak was, but it was a LONG time before the release. Might have been even longer than three months.

bonjovi90 07-14-2021 12:27 AM

Really gotta check if I still got that early leak. Also never really looked into whether the mixes were different from the final ones on AOTL. Did anybody do that?

Captain_jovi 07-14-2021 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1274719)
Really gotta check if I still got that early leak. Also never really looked into whether the mixes were different from the final ones on AOTL. Did anybody do that?

The mix changes were pretty minor. A few songs had some rougher count-ins lopped off for the proper release, Richie had a very Grohl-esque growl in the intro to Nowadays.

If I recall, Nowadays was added pretty far after the rest were and I feel like that was in a lower quality.

EDIT: Looked into it, it was released in Sept of 2012 and the press release went out in July of that year. By that point it had been up for a month or two.

bonjovi90 07-14-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1274720)
The mix changes were pretty minor. A few songs had some rougher count-ins lopped off for the proper release, Richie had a very Grohl-esque growl in the intro to Nowadays.

If I recall, Nowadays was added pretty far after the rest were and I feel like that was in a lower quality.

EDIT: Looked into it, it was released in Sept of 2012 and the press release went out in July of that year. By that point it had been up for a month or two.

Now that you mention it - yeah, Nowadays was added later on and criticized as too much of a Bon Jovi-styled song on here back then. My early files also date back to somewhere in June of 2012, so the leak really was early.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1274714)
Yup yup. He co-wrote Learning How to Fly With a Broken Win and I THINK one other (maybe You Can only get so high?)

It was from his personal soundcloud that had rough mixes of the songs. A select few people found it by accident, it was up for a week or two under Aftermath of the Lowdown. View count was pretty low but as soon as Richie announced the title and people started googling it, it was just about the only link for it.

It really did feel like a genuine mistake, not realizing it was set to public not private. I never thought it was intentional. To be honest some days I feel really bad I didn't do more to let his camp know it was up to help stop the leak before it happened.

The first RSO EP met the same fate.

Alphavictim 07-14-2021 01:34 AM

RSO was just terribly marketed. Barely anybody knew it was out, you couldn't even find the ****ing artist in Spotify thanks to the name, and I don't think I've ever seen it in stores.

Speaking of stores, is Aftermath still that silly expensive? Amazon only seems to list market place sellers, indicating it is out of print. At least that one had a cool cover...

Captain_jovi 07-14-2021 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1274722)

Haha I totally forgot the EP accidentally leaked too.

Thinny 07-14-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1274722)

That was only a few days before the actual release though wasn't it?

Thinny 07-14-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1274723)
Speaking of stores, is Aftermath still that silly expensive? Amazon only seems to list market place sellers, indicating it is out of print. At least that one had a cool cover...

Definitely out of print, but you can still pick the CD up on eBay for less than £15.

I regretted not going for the deluxe vinyl box set that was sold though his website for a while.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274725)
That was only a few days before the actual release though wasn't it?

Yes, it was exactly a week before.

Litneg 07-14-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1274723)
RSO was just terribly marketed. Barely anybody knew it was out, you couldn't even find the ****ing artist in Spotify thanks to the name, and I don't think I've ever seen it in stores.

True story. It took me a while to find it in the streamings too.

bonjovi90 08-21-2021 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1271734)
Aplogies if this has come up before, but I just came across this release which I've never seen before. Claims to be an official promo sent out by the publishers. I have seen these kind of promos before, but never this one. Interestingly there are 3 tracks that I don't recognise:

Trying Not To Get Over You
Best Day Of My Life
Only Love Can Do

Interesting that If I Can't Have Your Love is included. No idea on what year this was released, but it looks as thought it's from before the Box Set came out, so could this be a different version? Polished full band version?

https://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=462014

Anyone have any more info on this or the tracks?

rolo_tomachi 08-21-2021 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1275126)

My God, I'm crying.

Alphavictim 08-21-2021 03:39 AM

Quote:

You're a goddamn treasure haha

Butters 08-21-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks man. That's a really nice song.

Thinny 08-21-2021 12:33 PM

Nice song, thanks for sharing

rolo_tomachi 08-21-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

There's something about the sound that reminds me of You're Not Alone and Learning How To Fall. I love this one.

Captain_jovi 08-21-2021 05:38 PM

Would love to track down the era. Does anyone know when that promo CD was released? Based on the tracklisting and shape of his voice I'd guess post Undiscovered Soul pre Box- set.

Also HOLY CRAP, GOOD FIND.

Rdkopper 08-21-2021 05:40 PM

How are the other two? Ballads? Rockers?

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Nige 08-21-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1275134)
How are the other two? Ballads? Rockers?

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Kinda similar mid-tempo numbers.

Thinny 08-21-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275133)
Would love to track down the era. Does anyone know when that promo CD was released? Based on the tracklisting and shape of his voice I'd guess post Undiscovered Soul pre Box- set.

Also HOLY CRAP, GOOD FIND.

I'm presuming that the version of If I Can't Have Your Love is the same as the box set version, so the latest recording on the promo is Great Hall Of Fame, which I believe is from 2008 (correct me if I'm wrong), so it would have to be sometime after that but before Aftermath (2012), I would imagine, that the Promo was released.

Captain_jovi 08-21-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1275136)
I'm presuming that the version of If I Can't Have Your Love is the same as the box set version, so the latest recording on the promo is Great Hall Of Fame, which I believe is from 2008 (correct me if I'm wrong), so it would have to be sometime after that but before Aftermath (2012), I would imagine, that the Promo was released.

Oh yeah, good call. Great Hall of Fame was released 2008 but written much earlier. It was one of the songs on David Bryan cassette vault that was auctioned within the last few years. I would assume the final version is the one on this but all bets are out the window because these three songs were included.

bonjovi90 08-21-2021 08:01 PM

Great Hall Of Fame was from 1995 as far as I remember. In 2000, Richie said that he was contemplating doing a compilation album of the first two records, "like the best of them and adding three new tracks." That's exactly what the CD is. Furthermore, the publishing company doesn't seem to exist anymore and can't be tracked down, so I guess it's a promo CD from the early 2000s.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

JackieBlue 08-21-2021 09:48 PM

I don't know about the date of the CD, but the song sounds like a cross between Fallen From Graceland and All That Really Matters. My guess is it's an outtake from US.

Thinny 08-22-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1275138)
Richie said that he was contemplating doing a compilation album of the first two records, "like the best of them and adding three new tracks." That's exactly what the CD is.

True, but it probably wouldn't have been the same as what would have been released as the "best of". It would have been put together by the publishers, not any label or Richie. These kind of CDs were pretty common at the time to push the artists back catalogue and songs to other artists to record, or for stuff like inclusions in movies and TV ads. They would choose songs that they felt would suit this medium rather than an actual best to picked by the artist. I doubt very much that this had any connection to the planned Best Of, as you'd expect that to be put out there by a label rather than the publishers. But who knows..?