Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   This House Is Not For Sale: Album Reviews (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69748)

Kukoc7 11-03-2016 09:03 PM

Keep your eyes on this site/link which collectively tallies a majority of the relevant media reviews into one final score.
Currenly, they seem to have most of the negative reviews up as well as the positive one that was just posted here which ranks their overall score at 59. Let's see where it is when it's all said and done.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/this...-sale/bon-jovi

symbeline 11-03-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlhouse (Post 1213241)

This is the guy who has written the new unofficial biography. I like his style and his view on the band and although I love THINFS a lot, I also agree on many things.

Very good review

crashed 11-03-2016 10:18 PM

The big thing we're seeing with these reviews is it's time for Shanks to go...but I dunno' if that'll happen now.

steel_horse75 11-03-2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1213268)
The big thing we're seeing with these reviews is it's time for Shanks to go...but I dunno' if that'll happen now.

Should've been ditched 3 albums ago.

I agree that Phil X is seriously underused and this album shouldve said "look at our new guitarist and look at what he can do".....but it dont. Theres hardly any solos and 4 songs is all he plays on.

rosa3 11-03-2016 10:38 PM

I don't know if this makes any difference, since u are posting a bunch of reviews from different websites from all over the place, Washington Post just wrote a good review, I will try to find it and post it myself, or unless u guys want to rely on some random internet sides, then go right ahead, I will find the Washington Post one.

Kukoc7 11-03-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosa3 (Post 1213270)
I don't know if this makes any difference, since u are posting a bunch of reviews from different websites from all over the place, Washington Post just wrote a good review, I will try to find it and post it myself, or unless u guys want to rely on some random internet sides, then go right ahead, I will find the Washington Post one.

Don't bother Rosa3.
I already posted this review a few pages back.
https://www.google.com/amp/journalst...?client=safari
It was just picked up by the Washington Post.
Sometimes I wonder how many of you guys pay attention or thoroughly read through posts here.
I know we can occasionally miss out or misinterpret a post altogether which I have made the mistake of doing yet I witness a lot of times in which somebody makes the exact observation or comment I made a few threads ago. Please read through comments/links to articles prior to chiming in. Thanks.

Kukoc7 11-03-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1213268)

Not that I would be apposed to a fresh direction on the next album yet Shanks has more than earned my respect specifically on this release and HAND.
The positive media reviews actually praise his and Jon's work on this album.

golittleperson 11-03-2016 11:39 PM

Am I the only one who wonders why Shanks is wearing the little toboggan hats? Is he trying to look like The Edge? Not that it goes one way or the other with the music/reviews but seems a mimic.

ticos_stick 11-03-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1213269)
Should've been ditched 3 albums ago.

I agree that Phil X is seriously underused and this album shouldve said "look at our new guitarist and look at what he can do".....but it dont. Theres hardly any solos and 4 songs is all he plays on.

It could be argued that Phil X's style doesn't suit the Bon Jovi sound though and an album full of his playing would be too much of a departure and thus alienate fans.

It's like U2 replacing the edge with Eddie Van Halen. You can't replace one style with another and expect it to work even if the new guy is a good player.

Kukoc7 11-03-2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1213276)
It could be argued that Phil X's style doesn't suit the Bon Jovi sound though and an album full of his playing would be too much of a departure and thus alienate fans.

It's like U2 replacing the edge with Eddie Van Halen. You can't replace one style with another and expect it to work even if the new guy is a good player.

Right on. Really superb observation.
I personally enjoy the solos by both Shanks and Phil X on this album. The simplicity yet undeniable catchiness of Living With the Ghost and the ripping, take no prisoners solo within All Hail the King are two contrasting examples.