Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Official July 15, 2008~MSG, New York PBP Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=46026)

hackster73 07-16-2008 09:02 PM

The sad fact for me is that once again no 'These Days' songs on the DVD, if released.

IMO they could have done a rolling stones type release, the DVD set could have included a show from Europe (Stadium, like Amsterdam) and then an arena show (like MSG) both had different stage sets and would have given the fan a good overview of the tour.

This could and should have been done but sadly will not.

This is the amazon review for the stones DVD I am talking about:

The juggernaut four-disc set that is the Rolling Stones Four Flicks is taken from their unique three-in-one 2001 tour when they combined a stadium tour, an arena tour and a theatre tour into one 54-truck peregrination. It's the kind of epic endeavour that brings to mind William Burroughs' remark on Laurie Anderson's Home of the Brave: "Y'know, I prefer to watch this kind of thing on TV. Tones it down."
Of the four discs, there's one devoted to each of the three sets plus another of documentary footage which is every bit as entertaining as the concerts, with the chaps coming across as the bunch of lovable old monkeys they resemble these days. The track listings speak for itself, but there are quite a few nice insights into the way in which the band operates musically. Jagger's voice is nowhere near as strong as it was, yet, like Miles Davis did when his chops began to desert him, he simply knits any shortcomings into his style of delivery. One side-effect of this, though, is that the more recent material, presumably written with this in mind, is much more effective here than the classics; "Brown Sugar", for example, its lyrics now neutered to avoid giving offence, finds him resorting to all sorts of shortcuts. No matter, though, the Stones still put on an incomparable show. Keith "the Human Riff" Richards is in fact playing better now than he ever has. It's well worth getting yer ya-yas out for.

On the DVD: Four Flicks presents its material in such an integrated way that it's hard to say where the main event ends and the extras begin. As well as the concerts, you get to see the band working with AC/DC, Sheryl Crow and various other associates, there's a fun feature which allows you to zoom in on any individual member on a few tracks (revealing the secret of Charlie Watts's propulsive drumming to the percussion-minded observer) plus a great deal more. --Roger Thomas

DVD Description

Disc One – Madison Square Garden set list:

Street Fighting Man

If You Can’t Rock Me

Don’t Stop

Monkey Man

Angie

Let It Bleed

Midnight Rambler

Thru and Thru

Happy

You Got Me Rocking

Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’

(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll

When the Whip Comes Down

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For the Devil

Disc Two – London Twickenham Stadium set list:

Brown Sugar

You Got Me Rockin’

Rocks Off

Wild Horses

Can’t Always Get What You Want

Paint it Black

Tumblin’ Dice

Slipping Away

Sympathy For the Devil

Starf***er

I Just Want to Make Love to You

Street Fighting Man

Gimme Shelter

Honky Tonk Woman

Jumping Jack Flash

Disc Three – Paris Olympia set list:

Start Me Up

Live With Me

Neighbours

Hand of Fate

No Expectations

Worried About You

Doo Doo Heartbreaker

Stray Cat Blues

Dance Part 1

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

That’s How Strong My Love Is

Going to a Go Go

The Nearness of You

Before They Make Me Run

Love Train

Respectable

Honky Tonk Woman

Brown Sugar

Jumping Jack Flash

The Bootlegs:

Paris Studio:

Well Well

Extreme Western Grip

Circus Krone Theatre:

Can’t Turn You Loose

Wiltern Theatre:

Beast of Burden

You Don’t Have to Mean It

Rock Me Baby

Bitch

samboraisgodUK 07-16-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 866308)
The sad fact for me is that once again no 'These Days' songs on the DVD, if released.

Is there any doubt over whether it'll be released because from what ive heard (loadsa extra cameras, posters advertising it outside the gig, fans being interviewed etc.) there doesnt seem to be much doubt :confused:

Kathleen 07-16-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 866321)
Is there any doubt over whether it'll be released because from what ive heard (loadsa extra cameras, posters advertising it outside the gig, fans being interviewed etc.) there doesnt seem to be much doubt :confused:

Hmpffff - Bruce did that at all 3 of the last Giants shows in 2003 - right down to wearing the same clothes for 3 nights. Only a few small clips ever got released on the Barcelona 2002 DVD - and there was NO DVD from Giants :(. As far as I know - no one ever knew why either.

superkid 07-16-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 866322)
Hmpffff - Bruce did that at all 3 of the last Giants shows in 2003 - right down to wearing the same clothes for 3 nights. Only a few small clips ever got released on the Barcelona 2002 DVD - and there was NO DVD from Giants :(. As far as I know - no one ever knew why either.

I remember that. On the big screen before the show it said something about how they had the right to include you in the dvd or something like that. I will be upset if Bon Jovi doesn't make a dvd though. it's been a while.

lisaluvsjovi 07-16-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 866289)
And on any other night, it would be a good set, but NOT THE LAST NIGHT OF THE TOUR. The 3-song encore left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I have to say, you hit the nail right on the head. When Runaway started I looked at my watch and thought damn it's going to be Runaway, Wanted and Prayer and that's it. For them to put all three of those songs in the encore was just wrong, a huge letdown.

Yvonne 07-17-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSROCKS (Post 866244)
I don't even own the LH DVD.

haha! same here!

yomamasofat 07-17-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 866308)

IMO they could have done a rolling stones type release, the DVD set could have included a show from Europe (Stadium, like Amsterdam) and then an arena show (like MSG) both had different stage sets and would have given the fan a good overview of the tour.

This could and should have been done but sadly will not.

This is the amazon review for the stones DVD I am talking about:

The juggernaut four-disc set that is the Rolling Stones Four Flicks is taken from their unique three-in-one 2001 tour when they combined a stadium tour, an arena tour and a theatre tour into one 54-truck peregrination. It's the kind of epic endeavour that brings to mind William Burroughs' remark on Laurie Anderson's Home of the Brave: "Y'know, I prefer to watch this kind of thing on TV. Tones it down."
Of the four discs, there's one devoted to each of the three sets plus another of documentary footage which is every bit as entertaining as the concerts, with the chaps coming across as the bunch of lovable old monkeys they resemble these days. The track listings speak for itself, but there are quite a few nice insights into the way in which the band operates musically. Jagger's voice is nowhere near as strong as it was, yet, like Miles Davis did when his chops began to desert him, he simply knits any shortcomings into his style of delivery. One side-effect of this, though, is that the more recent material, presumably written with this in mind, is much more effective here than the classics; "Brown Sugar", for example, its lyrics now neutered to avoid giving offence, finds him resorting to all sorts of shortcuts. No matter, though, the Stones still put on an incomparable show. Keith "the Human Riff" Richards is in fact playing better now than he ever has. It's well worth getting yer ya-yas out for.

On the DVD: Four Flicks presents its material in such an integrated way that it's hard to say where the main event ends and the extras begin. As well as the concerts, you get to see the band working with AC/DC, Sheryl Crow and various other associates, there's a fun feature which allows you to zoom in on any individual member on a few tracks (revealing the secret of Charlie Watts's propulsive drumming to the percussion-minded observer) plus a great deal more. --Roger Thomas

DVD Description

Disc One – Madison Square Garden set list:

Street Fighting Man

If You Can’t Rock Me

Don’t Stop

Monkey Man

Angie

Let It Bleed

Midnight Rambler

Thru and Thru

Happy

You Got Me Rocking

Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’

It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll

When the Whip Comes Down

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For the Devil

Disc Two – London Twickenham Stadium set list:

Brown Sugar

You Got Me Rockin’

Rocks Off

Wild Horses

Can’t Always Get What You Want

Paint it Black

Tumblin’ Dice

Slipping Away

Sympathy For the Devil

Starf***er

I Just Want to Make Love to You

Street Fighting Man

Gimme Shelter

Honky Tonk Woman

Jumping Jack Flash

Disc Three – Paris Olympia set list:

Start Me Up

Live With Me

Neighbours

Hand of Fate

No Expectations

Worried About You

Doo Doo Heartbreaker

Stray Cat Blues

Dance Part 1

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

That’s How Strong My Love Is

Going to a Go Go

The Nearness of You

Before They Make Me Run

Love Train

Respectable

Honky Tonk Woman

Brown Sugar

Jumping Jack Flash

The Bootlegs:

Paris Studio:

Well Well

Extreme Western Grip

Circus Krone Theatre:

Can’t Turn You Loose

Wiltern Theatre:

Beast of Burden

You Don’t Have to Mean It

Rock Me Baby

Bitch

I posted the exact same thing sometime last year. They definitely need to do this!

Yvonne 07-17-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 866321)

I know they were taping some bits from Twickenham so it remains to be seen whether those bits make an appearence.

bjcrazycpa 07-17-2008 02:32 AM

Well, you know what I'm going to say......lol!! I, like Kathleen, was surprised, we got any different songs. I liked the first show better for the set list but I liked the second show better for the view, as I was front row!! Yea, the encore could have been better but honestly 99 shows for a tour that was supposed to never happen.....I'm okay with the end and my 35 shows on the tour. :D

deb

Jersey Paul 07-17-2008 03:37 AM

It is very interesting to read everyone's reactions to last night, the last exit on the Lost Highway tour. Yes Monday night was better but for me every concert I have attended has been a religious experience. Some nights were better than others but every night gave me two + hours of great music and left me wired with the music running through my head and my brain refusing to let go and go to sleep. We are quite fortunate to have such a great band to enjoy, criticize, and once again enjoy, and to have such a knowledgeable group of fans who participate. All I can say now that it's over is.... here's to the next gig.