Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

IML88 06-14-2013 11:15 AM

I was reserving judgement on Phil X (ridiculous name) until I'd seen him live. He's at best a session musician. He's not good enough to be a replacement. He's an adequate stand in and that is all. It really got on my nerves in Cardiff that he didn't play the solo's as they are written. Pre 00's Bon Jovi songs are guitar driven rock songs where the solo's are an integral part of the song. He either improvised to put his own spin on them or just wasn't good enough to pull them off note for note. Too many times the solo's were unrecognizable and thats not the way it should be.

He's a stand in helping Jon out in a tough spot and he should play the songs note for note the way they are supposed to be performed. The tone of Bad Name genuinely made them sound like a tribute act - it was gutting to watch.

Anyone who say's he's better than Sambora is frankly deluded. He may have a decent chops but he's by no means a world class player. I don't give a toss about why he's gone but the sooner Sambo comes back the better.

DevilsSon 06-14-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileybums (Post 1138574)
And after last night as far as I'm concerned he can stay away . . Phil did amazing ... Was great on stage . . Interacted with he fans and looked to have some great banter with all of the band . . He's just having fun out there, I only noticed richie wasn't there once . . During the WANTEDs from dead or alive . . And that's not a big deal . .

Right. Let's see this, from March this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Bon Jovi
My right hand man, my song-writing partner, my brother in arms, 30 years on, sitting on the crisp of another number one album, ladies and gentleman, the number one man in the world, Mr. Richie Sambora is going to sing a song for you

Now anyone in their right frame of mind think of Bon Jovi without Richie Sambora and tell me 'it's the same blah blah'. Sambora carries more soul and charisma in his pinky than most guitar players in their whole existence. The only reason Sambora isn't missed is because Bon Jovi concerts have become entirely commoditised corporate gigs. Richie played a role in allowing that to happen and so on, but whoever has seen him perform solo knows that he is a lot more than he's been with Bon Jovi...whereas Phil X is hitting his all times peak right there (no disrespect for the Drills but we are talking different leagues here).

Anyway - I am someone who hopes that Richie does not return and focusses on jamming, playing and collaborating with other musicians. Yet some of the statements I find to be either disrespectful or plain stupid and I wanted to point it out.

Bounce7800 06-14-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IML88 (Post 1138580)

The tone of Bad Name genuinely made them sound like a tribute act - it was gutting to watch.

Bad Name is pretty much all Bobby though, and his solo is absolutely dreadful. Got no idea why they let him do it, it doesn't suit him and the effect they use on his guitar for it doesn't help matters either.

Chris_Newton 06-14-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

I was reserving judgement on Phil X (ridiculous name) until I'd seen him live. He's at best a session musician. He's not good enough to be a replacement. He's an adequate stand in and that is all. It really got on my nerves in Cardiff that he didn't play the solo's as they are written. Pre 00's Bon Jovi songs are guitar driven rock songs where the solo's are an integral part of the song. He either improvised to put his own spin on them or just wasn't good enough to pull them off note for note. Too many times the solo's were unrecognizable and thats not the way it should be.

He's a stand in helping Jon out in a tough spot and he should play the songs note for note the way they are supposed to be performed. The tone of Bad Name genuinely made them sound like a tribute act - it was gutting to watch.

Anyone who say's he's better than Sambora is frankly deluded. He may have a decent chops but he's by no means a world class player. I don't give a toss about why he's gone but the sooner Sambo comes back the better.

Its a real shame you see it this way...IMO the guy is a class act

nrm123 06-14-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Richie doesn't play the solos as they are on record, every guitarist plays differently and Jon has obviously said have some fun but don't go too off course which he's done completely he's aloud to have fun.

And bad name wasn't a good choice, bobby plays it

Ruggy 06-14-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1138586)
Bad Name is pretty much all Bobby though, and his solo is absolutely dreadful. Got no idea why they let him do it, it doesn't suit him and the effect they use on his guitar for it doesn't help matters either.

I honestly think Bobby must have incriminating photos of Jon or something along those lines. Can't think of any other reason he allows him to play solos.

Bobby is a good rythmn guitarist. He is not, and never will be, a lead/solo guitarist. It's incredible he still gets the solo on one of the band's most recognisable songs.

jovifan93 06-14-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggy (Post 1138595)
I honestly think Bobby must have incriminating photos of Jon or something along those lines. Can't think of any other reason he allows him to play solos.

Bobby is a good rythmn guitarist. He is not, and never will be, a lead/solo guitarist. It's incredible he still gets the solo on one of the band's most recognisable songs.

Haha, good one :-D but there must be something to it, since most of you here seem to agree that Jon is not a nice person, so that can't be the reason ;-)

steel_horse75 06-14-2013 01:42 PM

I ****ing hate Bobby

steel_horse75 06-14-2013 01:43 PM

Re Richie....

Quote:

He has also released three solo LPs, most recently 2012's Aftermath of the Lowdown, which reached No 35 in the UK.
I was right. At least 7 copies were sold. I have one - who bought the other 6 - own up - dont be shy! :D

jovifan93 06-14-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1138603)
Re Richie....

I was right. At least 7 copies were sold. I have one - who bought the other 6 - own up - dont be shy! :D

I bought one of the 7 sold in Germany ;-)