Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Official Youtube.com Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=36750)

ezearis 02-11-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1105407)
Aloha !

Yeah, compared to nowadays standards that show was pretty good. But compared to what they could do back then the performance was quite bad in places. Still, not as bad as they made it out to be.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Yeah, I remember hearing Always on the bootleg and Jon struggling to hit the keys on Always.

About those times performances, I ran into this performance of Everyday (is on the dvd that came with HAND in some releases) and I loved it:

Walleris 02-11-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1105407)
Aloha !

Yeah, compared to nowadays standards that show was pretty good. But compared to what they could do back then the performance was quite bad in places. Still, not as bad as they made it out to be.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Are you saying that Bon Jovi in 2003 used to put better concerts than nowadays?

Off course, I wasn't a fan back then, unlike you, and off course the tour so far is sucking dick, but no way would I rather see the band in 2003 than 2010-11. The Circle era had much better setlists (Ain't no way would I have a chance to hear my favorites Always (only played twice in 2003), Dry County (never played), original I'll Be There For You and loads of other gems they brought back to life since then). Plus, let's not forget that in the last tour Jon on a good night was able to sound decent on songs like Always, Something To Believe In, I Believe and a bunch of others, while in 2003 he would sound like a dying cat while doing Blaze Of Glory. You could make an argument that Richie's playing was better, but with those horrible setlist, he didn't really played too many great solos anyways. Plus, Bounce Tour had way more new songs than The Circle Tour and that can also be considered a minus, considering the quality of 2000s records. No Bobby is the only real plus that I can see.

The Circle (and GH) era wins over Bounce for me all the way.

afk 02-11-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1103957)
UPDATE: Sorry to report that DavidsRosie, the woman with the "David You Play The Keys To My Heart" poster in the beginning of that video, passed away in her sleep before Christmas. Which gives this video an extra dose of resonance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFNdHRl6FU

Rock in peace, DavidsRosie. And because you "defied" Jon and "stood up" for Lemma fans everywhere, consider yourself a legend!

Hahaha awesome!!! Rock in peace... Good one ;) i'll remember that :)

Panda 02-11-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1105473)

The Circle (and GH) era wins over Bounce for me all the way.

This performance alone from the Bounce tour beats anything that has come from the band in the last 5 years.

Jon and the band were on fire for part of the Bounce tour and gave it everything they had. And they in the middle of the European tour his voice gave out and the rest of the shows really really suffered from it.

ezearis 02-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1105640)
This performance alone from the Bounce tour beats anything that has come from the band in the last 5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hO0wtfGCis

Jon and the band were on fire for part of the Bounce tour and gave it everything they had. And they in the middle of the European tour his voice gave out and the rest of the shows really really suffered from it.

Wow that Keep The Faith performance is just. No words. Amazing.

Supersonic 02-11-2013 01:01 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1105473)
Are you saying that Bon Jovi in 2003 used to put better concerts than nowadays?

That's not what I meant. :)

When comparing the vocal performances of Jon during the Yokohama show and then whatever acoustic or electric performance of any show of the past 2 years Jon doesn't sound so bad. Jon with a cold now is Jon in regular condition in a few years. It's been like that for a good 10 years now.

Bon Jovi as a band were much better during the Bounce tour than Bon Jovi nowadays. Especially Jon's voice was in a much better condition for the first half of the North American tour. His voice blew out halfway through the North American tour and it puch a huge damper on the shows.

I agree that there's a bigger chance of hearing anything rare nowadays than there was during the Bounce tour. During the Bounce tour however, Jon wouldn't sound like a strangled cat during Raise Your Hands, Bad Name and Faith. The regular songs still sounded rather good as opposed to the muddy sound that's coming from the band most of the time nowadays.

It was also the last tour where Richie was improvising a lot, showed what he could do, threw in licks here and there that aren't there on the studio and would actually be a real guitar player as opposed to one that's just going through the motions. It's just a shame that Jon didn't train his voice back then as much as he should have or the shows could've been a lot better. Amsterdam, Mannheim and Vienna are good examples of the band putting on a great show.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

ezearis 02-11-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1105675)
Aloha !

That's not what I meant. :)

When comparing the vocal performances of Jon during the Yokohama show and then whatever acoustic or electric performance of any show of the past 2 years Jon doesn't sound so bad. Jon with a cold now is Jon in regular condition in a few years. It's been like that for a good 10 years now.

Bon Jovi as a band were much better during the Bounce tour than Bon Jovi nowadays. Especially Jon's voice was in a much better condition for the first half of the North American tour. His voice blew out halfway through the North American tour and it puch a huge damper on the shows.

I agree that there's a bigger chance of hearing anything rare nowadays than there was during the Bounce tour. During the Bounce tour however, Jon wouldn't sound like a strangled cat during Raise Your Hands, Bad Name and Faith. The regular songs still sounded rather good as opposed to the muddy sound that's coming from the band most of the time nowadays.

It was also the last tour where Richie was improvising a lot, showed what he could do, threw in licks here and there that aren't there on the studio and would actually be a real guitar player as opposed to one that's just going through the motions. It's just a shame that Jon didn't train his voice back then as much as he should have or the shows could've been a lot better. Amsterdam, Mannheim and Vienna are good examples of the band putting on a great show.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Agree with everything, I can't actually complain with The Circle Tour because of the 27 tracks setlists with rarities; but the Bounce era is one of my favourites, not only because of the studio record but of the tour too.

By the way, Jon shouldn't started smoking because "he was bored". Who the **** is the singer of one of the most famous rock bands on the world and with some of the most demanding songs ever and starts smoking when he's 37? Really. No.

bjcrazycpa 02-11-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezearis (Post 1105705)
By the way, Jon shouldn't started smoking because "he was bored". Who the **** is the singer of one of the most famous rock bands on the world and with some of the most demanding songs ever and starts smoking when he's 37? Really. No.

He started "again" at that time. Jon had smoked since he was a teenager on/off. When I first saw the band back in 1985 when you could still smoke in the arena. They were opening for Ratt and when they were done with their set Jon and Richie came down to watch Ratt, they were both smoking. His whole family smokes or did.

ezearis 02-11-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1105710)
He started "again" at that time. Jon had smoked since he was a teenager on/off. When I first saw the band back in 1985 when you could still smoke in the arena. They were opening for Ratt and when they were done with their set Jon and Richie came down to watch Ratt, they were both smoking. His whole family smokes or did.

Didn't knew that, thanks for the info! But still, he shouldn't have started again. Then we wonder why he can't even sing It's My Life. I do know that he dropped on 2010 or something like that, right?

bjcrazycpa 02-11-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezearis (Post 1105716)
Didn't knew that, thanks for the info! But still, he shouldn't have started again. Then we wonder why he can't even sing It's My Life. I do know that he dropped on 2010 or something like that, right?

I know he's tried to quit for good and I think he finally did in 2010. I don't know for sure if that still stands, I hope so.