Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

ticos_stick 07-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jublke (Post 1144100)
Maybe he's looking at things and thinking, I don't have forever left to write music and tour, I want to be relevant, I want that critical acclaim,

I'm not sure Jon has cared much about critical acclaim for the past decade. He's chasing the money and albums are just a means to get out on tour.

Sissy3 07-02-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jublke (Post 1144100)
I'm starting to wonder if we might be witnessing a bit of midlife crisis from both Jon and Richie. From Jon's side, we had two summers in a row where he injured himself onstage. Early in this tour, he looked stiff as a board, possibly due to back trouble. He looks tense to me in a lot of recent photos. Maybe he's looking at things and thinking, I don't have forever left to write music and tour, I want to be relevant, I want that critical acclaim, I need to tour now, now, now! And then we have Richie, who admittedly is burnt, who is also reevaluating his life and saying hey, in 30 years, I've never spent 3 months in a row at home, I want to travel, work on my fashion, spend time with people I love, I'm sick of touring.

Jon tells Richie, you have to really want it, you have to die every night on stage and Richie says, you're crazy man, you can die like that if you want, but I have other things to live for.

Admittedly, this is all speculation, but it does seem to fit.

jublke

This is an interesting and feasible theory. But this scenario would take us right back to the "could they not have hashed this out before the tour started" point. :) Know I'm beating a dead horse but through it all I keep coming back to that fact, could these "problems" not be sorted through before the tour was underway.

BJ?YesPlease 07-02-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1144102)
I'm not sure Jon has cared much about critical acclaim for the past decade. He's chasing the money and albums are just a means to get out on tour.

I think he's tried to force it to win acclaim - tracks like The Fighter and Not Running Anymore seem to be his attempt to be Bruce...

ticos_stick 07-02-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ?YesPlease (Post 1144108)
I think he's tried to force it to win acclaim - tracks like The Fighter and Not Running Anymore seem to be his attempt to be Bruce...

His recent solo work did get him a bit of recognition I suppose but two tracks on a very mediocre album won't change people's view on the album as a whole.

The Rock 07-02-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jule225 (Post 1144111)
I've always seen a bit differently. I think those are the types of songs he's like to be writing (he always seems to be genuinely passionate about them) and the rest of it is his attempt at staying relevant.

I agree too. I think if it was up to Jon, those are the songs that we would be hearing. He has said how he admires Damien Rice; The Blower's Daughter. We all know how he loves Leonard Cohen. I could see him as an Ed Sheeran type musician. Just him as his guitar and writing that style of music.

Captain_jovi 07-02-2013 07:52 PM

Yep. Listen to The Fighter and listen to songs from the grey summer and early '94. It's such a Jon song I'm shocked people aren't falling in love with it.

Bill23 07-02-2013 08:03 PM

The opposite of Richie-

Stevie Van Zandt- "I'm of the endless, infinite tour philosophy. I wish the touring schedule would never end..."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...erica-20130701

ticos_stick 07-02-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill23 (Post 1144129)
The opposite of Richie-

Stevie Van Zandt- "I'm of the endless, infinite tour philosophy. I wish the touring schedule would never end..."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...erica-20130701

Steve works for the best boss in the world. Of course he's going to want to go on and on.

Elvistico 07-02-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rock (Post 1144122)
I agree too. I think if it was up to Jon, those are the songs that we would be hearing. He has said how he admires Damien Rice; The Blower's Daughter. We all know how he loves Leonard Cohen. I could see him as an Ed Sheeran type musician. Just him as his guitar and writing that style of music.

Do what you do best... unfortunately for jon he will never be able to compete in the category of singer songwriter stuff. If he loves cohen en damien rice but just as these guys would be lousy at songs as prayer, wanted, ktf or bed of roses , jon is lousy when doing those kind of songs

Elvistico 07-02-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1144102)

I think jon just wants to be the biggest, the best, the first etc.... if they can't have it in albums sales, airplay or charts he wants to lead in other domains and indeed... they are hard to beat at the box office. To be a top touring, top grossing artist to play big venues at big prices, that is also being best at something.

Bj is just non stop present in the leagues that they can win. They remain a status chasing band.