Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

Living_on_my_Hair 05-10-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 1128260)
Yeah, but does that apply for integral members? Have The Stones ever performed without Keef, Queen without Brian May, GnR without Slash etc.? Oasis did have some changes, was it always both Gallaghers?

Certainly these bands won't perform without their lead singer, but what about bass players, drummers etc.? Just curious.

And I'm not talking about line-up changes, like Aerosmith played with two different guitarists in the early 80s (without the integral Joe Perry).

Whilst I do think there's a big difference between performing without a founding/integral band member whilst they are still officially a member (and have not left/been fired/died etc and so need replaced ), those examples you gave aren't really the best to give.

Queen have had a couple of lead singers since Freddie died, and still successfully performed and toured as Queen. GNR have performed live (even back in the glory days) without key members such as Duff, Izzy or Steve due to various drug issues. And obviously we all know about today's incarnation of GNR too. I also think Liam would have kept the Oasis name and carried on if contractually he was able to, both brothers still play Oasis tunes at their shows.
I've seen 'stand in' musicians live for bands such as Metallica (when Lars was injured) and Aerosmith, when Perry was AWOL..
Everybody is replaceable to a certain extent - the new incarnation or lineup of a band may differ considerably, but they are still ultimately replaceable (Van Halen, Iron Maiden, ACDC etc)

Andi

Alphavictim 05-10-2013 08:24 PM

Got my cash back for the ticket in Vienna today. Gotta admit - great that they're offering this.

Mysterytrain 05-10-2013 09:11 PM

All recent Richie sightings seem to involve cars.

Martin Wiener: ''Last Saturday with Richie Sambora waiting for his new car to arrive. What a great guy!''

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps85fc192d.jpg

CharlieShipley 05-10-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1128262)
Richie is not like Brian Jones. Sambora co-writting, Brian Jones not. Sambora still 29 years in the band, Jones Not.

Tico is appreciated, but Richie is a critical piece in a show of Bon Jovi, like Keith Richards IMO.

Phil is a uncomfortable filler, and if Richie does not return, I will not go, that's my stance.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9452/killbhil.jpg

You seem to be intentionally glossing over the points where I said that Sambora is not Brian Jones. When I in fact agree with you and compare him to Keef.

Brian Jones has ceased to be. He is an ex Stone.
Richie however, is merely pining for the fiords.

CharlieShipley 05-10-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOVI7826 (Post 1128244)
You don't like I Believe?????Oh Dear God, I must be dreaming...This must be a nightmare...

I love "I Believe," just trying to liven up the thread :)

rolo_tomachi 05-10-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieShipley (Post 1128277)
You seem to be intentionally glossing over the points where I said that Sambora is not Brian Jones. When I in fact agree with you and compare him to Keef.

Brian Jones has ceased to be. He is an ex Stone.
Richie however, is merely pining for the fiords.

Ok, Just wanted to make this clear, sorry for being repetitive.

DestinationJovi 05-10-2013 09:44 PM

@TheRealPhilX: how is it when celebrities post a political/ world issue tweet, a fan will pick that thread to ask, "what's your favorite ice cream flavor?"

So now he's a celebrity?

@TheRealPhilX: tourist-"could u take our picture?"
me-"sure". tourist-"u look like the guitar player from Bon Jovi the other night". me-"I get that a lot".

Please :rolleyes:

linnea.cfc32_jovibandana 05-10-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieShipley (Post 1128278)
I love "I Believe," just trying to liven up the thread :)

Yeah, come on, no one believed you anyway ;)

WillRunForChocolate 05-10-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1128281)
@TheRealPhilX: how is it when celebrities post a political/ world issue tweet, a fan will pick that thread to ask, "what's your favorite ice cream flavor?"

So now he's a celebrity?

In all fairness, I'm not sure he was referring to himself. If he was, well...

I saw that tweet and responded that people are bombarded with politics and world issues. If we all discussed ice cream then the world would be a much better place :)

Wonderdog 05-10-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1128281)

So now he's a celebrity?

@TheRealPhilX: tourist-"could u take our picture?"
me-"sure". tourist-"u look like the guitar player from Bon Jovi the other night". me-"I get that a lot".

Please :rolleyes:

I feel like I'm becoming a member of Phil X defender club or something, but the first tweet he quite clearly isn't referring to himself as no where in his twitter feed has he ever posted a political or world issue tweet.

The second tweet, in no way suggests he thinks he's famous, in fact the opposite... I know people are disappointed Richie isn't playing, but this is really reaching to find fault with his stand in.

Captain_jovi 05-10-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderdog (Post 1128290)
I feel like I'm becoming a member of Phil X defender club or something, but the first tweet he quite clearly isn't referring to himself as no where in his twitter feed has he ever posted a political or world issue tweet.

The second tweet, in no way suggests he thinks he's famous, in fact the opposite... I know people are disappointed Richie isn't playing, but this is really reaching to find fault with his stand in.

Shhh shut that logic up, it has no place here!

Bounce7800 05-10-2013 10:24 PM

The only member of the Bon Jovi camp who actually uses social media and engages with people in a human way and people jump on it. I wouldn't read much into it, especially with Twitters character limit you sometimes need to omit total detail to make the joke/statement fit. Phils a good follow, and seems to be a good guy doing a great job in the circumstances- I'm looking forward to seeing him.

CharlieShipley 05-10-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1128280)
Ok, Just wanted to make this clear, sorry for being repetitive.

No problem :)

DestinationJovi 05-10-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderdog (Post 1128290)

I'm not reaching to find fault with Richie's stand in. It's certainly not Phil's fault Richie isn't touring! However, glorifying yourself causes others to disdain you. "I get that a lot" suggests to me that he's claiming to be frequently recognized as Bon Jovi's guitarist. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

bjcrazycpa 05-10-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1128294)
The only member of the Bon Jovi camp who actually uses social media and engages with people in a human way and people jump on it. I wouldn't read much into it, especially with Twitters character limit you sometimes need to omit total detail to make the joke/statement fit. Phils a good follow, and seems to be a good guy doing a great job in the circumstances- I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Perfect way to put it. If I could fit it with my crazy work schedule, I'd fly across the pond to take in some of the Europe shows.

Wonderdog 05-10-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1128300)
I'm not reaching to find fault with Richie's stand in. It's certainly not Phil's fault Richie isn't touring! However, glorifying yourself causes others to disdain you. "I get that a lot" suggests to me that he's claiming to be frequently recognized as Bon Jovi's guitarist. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Ok, my interpretation, the "I get that a lot" is a natural thing to say to said tourist,to make it more believable, that's why even if he looks exactly like him, he is not. Be un-rubbed by it ;) , his twitter feed is quite fun to follow. He should be paid by Cape Town Tourism for the past few days.

Becky 05-10-2013 11:13 PM

"I get that a lot" is a cliche answer. It's not offensive or arrogant. Wasn't there a TV show a couple of years ago called, "I get that a lot" where celebrities pretended to be non-celebrities just to see how people reacted to them.

idbl_fanatic 05-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1128304)
Perfect way to put it. If I could fit it with my crazy work schedule, I'd fly across the pond to take in some of the Europe shows.

I have to say, your username on here cracks me up

JOVI7826 05-10-2013 11:48 PM

Does anybody know if I could take a refund for the show in Milan,Italy?

bjcrazycpa 05-10-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbl_fanatic (Post 1128310)
I have to say, your username on here cracks me up

Yea, didn't quite think that through for the educated woman that I am...meaning the "BJ" taken to mean something other than Bon Jovi...ha ha ha, especially to the male mind!!

idbl_fanatic 05-10-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1128313)
Yea, didn't quite think that through for the educated woman that I am...meaning the "BJ" taken to mean something other than Bon Jovi...ha ha ha, especially to the male mind!!

Exactly! LOL:p

Becky 05-10-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1128313)

I've never made that connection before now. Guess my mind *isn't* in the gutter! LOL

bjcrazycpa 05-11-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1128315)
I've never made that connection before now. Guess my mind *isn't* in the gutter! LOL

Becky, I never did until a guy friend of mine pointed that out to me...dudes, lol!!

idbl_fanatic 05-11-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1128317)
Becky, I never did until a guy friend of mine pointed that out to me...dudes, lol!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Lisa71 05-11-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1128317)

I've never made the connection but you can be sure I will now!!

Anyway, look at this link from twitter.

https://twitter.com/WikConway/status...507584/photo/1

The caption under it states -

WikConway Wik Conway 3h
the Krieau horse racing venue in Vienna is preparing for Jon Bon Jovi's open air concert next Friday pic.twitter.com/vKBna9g0CJ

notice the Jon Bon Jovi concert? Just great, even the promoters use the name Jon Bon Jovi instead of Bon Jovi.

DestinationJovi 05-11-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa71 (Post 1128338)
I've never made the connection but you can be sure I will now!!

Anyway, look at this link from twitter.

https://twitter.com/WikConway/status...507584/photo/1

The caption under it states -

WikConway Wik Conway 3h
the Krieau horse racing venue in Vienna is preparing for Jon Bon Jovi's open air concert next Friday pic.twitter.com/vKBna9g0CJ

notice the Jon Bon Jovi concert? Just great, even the promoters use the name Jon Bon Jovi instead of Bon Jovi.

They left out "and friends".

Bobby will be bummed. :(

Crushgen24/88 05-11-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Oh come on now....

GabrielC 05-11-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1128342)
They left out "and friends".

Bobby will be bummed. :(

Come on, Bobby don't have any friends.

Bounce7800 05-11-2013 09:50 AM

Twitter rumours seemed to suggest Richie might have played at a Flourish conference in Dallas last night. Whether thats true or not, I dont think there's any confirmation of, but if he is doing a solo performance whilst "off sick" from the band tour so to speak, that could put a twist on things.

Walkerboy 05-11-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1128397)
Twitter rumours seemed to suggest Richie might have played at a Flourish conference in Dallas last night. Whether thats true or not, I dont think there's any confirmation of, but if he is doing a solo performance whilst "off sick" from the band tour so to speak, that could put a twist on things.

This is where it could get interesting.
Flourish is a Christian women's conference!
I did wonder when Richie dropped out of the tour if there was a possibility he's "found God" (even considered him turning to Islam) and wants a complete lifestyle change. Stating that you're not on tour because you've become a Christian would result in a bigger backlash than staying quiet.

Beaky 05-11-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1128398)
This is where it could get interesting.
Flourish is a Christian women's conference!
I did wonder when Richie dropped out of the tour if there was a possibility he's "found God" (even considered him turning to Islam) and wants a complete lifestyle change. Stating that you're not on tour because you've become a Christian would result in a bigger backlash than staying quiet.

Richie has long been a Catholic... a lapsed one but a Catholic, none the less. I have been informed that his former residence in NJ had religious statues in the garden... I imagine it's just gnomes in LA now though.

nickolai 05-11-2013 01:50 PM

does anyone else feel at that stage that they are just past caring about all this bollocks? Its too exhausting now. Shit album, shit tour, being lied to after spending a shit load of money.

CKatz 05-11-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1128397)

False alarm. @flourishgirls just tweeted it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.. Would have been very odd...:)

Bounce7800 05-11-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKatz (Post 1128415)
False alarm. @flourishgirls just tweeted it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.. Would have been very odd...:)

Just came in to post that, an amusing false alarm!

jessycardy 05-11-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterytrain (Post 1128275)
All recent Richie sightings seem to involve cars.

Martin Wiener: ''Last Saturday with Richie Sambora waiting for his new car to arrive. What a great guy!''

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps85fc192d.jpg

That's not recent. That tweet is dated January 26, 2012.

https://twitter.com/MartinWiener/sta...71788214210560

gkkes 05-11-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

I see that as a polite way of not denying and not confirming....
If he'd said " Yeah Man! I'm Phil X " it'd be autographs, pictures blah blah...
"What's up with Richie?" blah blah...

Another example of how he's downplaying the whole situation, he's got my respect across the board. I hope this work brings him loads more great opportunities, because it will be difficult to ever top this!

eddie73 05-11-2013 02:38 PM

After lots of umming and arring, i have given my tickets away for the villa park gig. Its not the sambo issue , its just that im not feeling it this year, i have no excitement about this tour. After being on the 1 show and talking to him i was well pumped for the Europe leg of the tour. But i just don't feel it like i have the shows over the past 29 years.

I for one hope the band jon in particular stops jumping on the bandwagon to stay relevant as its not working ( WAN ALBUM SALES ) and just go back to what they used to do, im sure they will gain more respect for that and get a lot of the older fans back who have dumped on them, like me ! I will continue to browse the boards and have some banter, but as for the band, grow some BOLLOX !
If sambo was to leave, lets get Phil x as replacemnt, or even dave snake sabo ! It would be interesting to see what music would be coming out from the band, or would jon not back down and continue to deliver the same old shite as of the last few albums ( HAND EXCLUDED ).

gkkes 05-11-2013 03:23 PM

p.s. I'm not sure if I'd ever buy a car from a guy called Wiener :p

Becky 05-11-2013 04:41 PM

Awesome. We can add "Found God" to the list of conspiracy theories. That may be the best one of all.

DestinationJovi 05-11-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkkes (Post 1128421)
I see that as a polite way of not denying and not confirming....
If he'd said " Yeah Man! I'm Phil X " it'd be autographs, pictures blah blah...
"What's up with Richie?" blah blah...

Another example of how he's downplaying the whole situation, he's got my respect across the board. I hope this work brings him loads more great opportunities, because it will be difficult to ever top this!

You're missing the point. He's played 16 shows with the band. Richie has probably played 3,000. How many people (other than fans who know who he is) are really recognizing Phil as Bon Jovi's guitarist?

One. One person randomly asked him to take their picture and then realized he looked kind of looked like the guy playing guitar at the show the night before. "I get that a lot" is arrogant. "Thanks man, fun gig!" would be down to earth. "Who is Bon Jovi?" would be downplaying it.

It was just my take on his tweet. It's really not worth the discussion or all this space.