Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   40th Anniversary Boxset (2025) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70845)

rolo_tomachi 10-26-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1276106)
Yeah there's no market for ANY of these options. Each of them will require a marketing push. With spotify and streaming I can't see the demand greatest hits used to have. It'll attract a certain market of people that still use CDs though but....physical media is dying off unless it's hyper specific to an era or a box set.

That is the key, marketing. A new album, a new 2020 reissue or an EP with new songs makes a new tour better promoted. Do you remember when THINFS was launched in 2018 on the occasion of Hall OF Fame coinciding with the tour? they got number 1 again. I know it was achieved due to the sale of tickets, but the point is, without that new relaunch the tickets would not have been sold so quickly. They need something attractive for the fans, and at the same time something new for the casual audience - not just the hits.

It is not the first time we have seen this trick. It was also used with One Wild Night Live Album, using a remix of the song, something stupid if you think about it, since it is a live album.

Captain_jovi 10-26-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1276108)
That is the key, marketing. A new album, a new 2020 reissue or an EP with new songs makes a new tour better promoted. Do you remember when THINFS was launched in 2018 on the occasion of Hall OF Fame coinciding with the tour? they got number 1 again. I know it was achieved due to the sale of tickets, but the point is, without that new relaunch the tickets would not have been sold so quickly. They need something attractive for the fans, and at the same time something new for the casual audience - not just the hits.

It is not the first time we have seen this trick. It was also used with One Wild Night Live Album, using a remix of the song, something stupid if you think about it, since it is a live album.

True. The difference is you can market a box set or compilation to old fans, you can't market a new album to non-fans. Option A at least exist and need to be won back. Option B is a weirdly hard sell, the band is in nostalgia mode and those types of albums rarely so well. They could put out These Days pt 2 in quality and it will. not. matter. It's kind of funny, the stupider and dumbed down the song is the better chance it has of catching.

Yeah the only reason they went to number one was ticket sales. The promo bump helped but I don't think the number of people who went "what? They put out a new album? Gotta check it out" was high enough to warrant that number 1.

Touring wise I don't see too many issues, the demand aint what it used to be but album/single wise it's dire. One is put out to help sell the other it feels like :(

rolo_tomachi 10-26-2021 08:58 PM

Well, I think that Bon Jovi are that kind of band that when they release an album, there is something of interest. Sometimes the sales are not the expected ones, but it still sells. I mean, maybe they're not that massive anymore, but globally it's a lot of records.

About hitting the hit list, well I don't think we'll ever see a massive hit again. Never underestimate the guy, he can still show you he's capable of throwing a song and punching the table, not level massive as Its My Life or Always... but if a short-lived success like Have a Nice Day or Make A Memory. I mean a song that drives the initial sales of an album or tour.

The problem with Bon Jovi is that always have to think about sales and success.
:|

steel_horse75 10-26-2021 11:03 PM

40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

How many copies worldwide did 2020 sell?
I don’t see another GH the last one has more songs than Crosswords but was somehow worse. Those new 4 songs were average as well. I don’t think Jovi have had a hit over in uk since Have a nice Day. So 16 years and no one’s buying a gh full of songs from lost Highway to 2020.

I’m hoping the box set will decent but hoping it’s not all modern era songs that make it and there’s some older stuff but 100m covered that era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rokuli 10-26-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cqleonardo (Post 1276080)
Hope the SWW stuff that leaked I don't know how many years ago make to this box set, I have zero hopes for a special edition for SWW, if he wanted to do, he would have done already...

Yes, it was kinda done with the extended 5.1 mix which I LOVE.

But Slippery is MASSIVE album. In its own league really! There's still money to be made on that one for sure...so mr. Bongiovi may aswell decide to do the anniversary box set every 10th (or even 5th?!) year...so fingers crossed for 2026..!!! :smilecol:

Captain_jovi 10-26-2021 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1276110)
Well, I think that Bon Jovi are that kind of band that when they release an album, there is something of interest. Sometimes the sales are not the expected ones, but it still sells. I mean, maybe they're not that massive anymore, but globally it's a lot of records.

About hitting the hit list, well I don't think we'll ever see a massive hit again. Never underestimate the guy, he can still show you he's capable of throwing a song and punching the table, not level massive as Its My Life or Always... but if a short-lived success like Have a Nice Day or Make A Memory. I mean a song that drives the initial sales of an album or tour.

The problem with Bon Jovi is that always have to think about sales and success.
:|

By no means did 2020 sell well. It did alright the first week and slid down the week after as per all the most recent albums. Not packaging it with a tour killed their chance of saying it did well. I agree, I don't think we'll ever see a massive hit from them, maybe a semi-hit. But I don't think you're right about saying globally it's a lot of records. I wish that wasn't the case. Would rather they just do what they want rather than what they want to sell, by a long shot.

rolo_tomachi 10-27-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1276113)
By no means did 2020 sell well. It did alright the first week and slid down the week after as per all the most recent albums. Not packaging it with a tour killed their chance of saying it did well. I agree, I don't think we'll ever see a massive hit from them, maybe a semi-hit. But I don't think you're right about saying globally it's a lot of records. I wish that wasn't the case. Would rather they just do what they want rather than what they want to sell, by a long shot.

Well, Jon can blame the 2020 sales failure on the pandemic. The acid test will be the next post-pandemic launch.

The massive tours won't last much longer either, Jon's voice is almost dead. There will come a time when many will not return.

Javier 10-27-2021 01:28 AM

I just wish they'd try something different. Maybe having a more introspective and personal song as a single, take a risk. I know a lot of people would love to constantly have rock anthemic hits as singles, but I think doing something different has a chance at being more successful this time :) ....

Captain_jovi 10-27-2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1276115)
I just wish they'd try something different. Maybe having a more introspective and personal song as a single, take a risk. I know a lot of people would love to constantly have rock anthemic hits as singles, but I think doing something different has a chance at being more successful this time :) ....

This. If it's not going to sell and it's not going to effect ticket sales since while the album promo is a reason to tour, it's not based on the song success. Though that interview Jon did prior to 2020 about Story of Love needing to do well in order to tour may say otherwise.

But I'm right there with you. Retire the live your life stuff, do something weird as shit.

Litneg 10-27-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1276118)
This. If it's not going to sell and it's not going to effect ticket sales since while the album promo is a reason to tour, it's not based on the song success. Though that interview Jon did prior to 2020 about Story of Love needing to do well in order to tour may say otherwise.

But I'm right there with you. Retire the live your life stuff, do something weird as shit.

Kinda "screw your life stuff".