Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

candidomtz 07-22-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanofrem (Post 1265741)

Love it!!!

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 01:01 AM

https://twitter.com/jonbonjovi/statu...09823586246657 Another clip, played by Jon.

This way has really grown on me. There's so much more hope and uplifting played this way, I truly thought it'd be more of a downer.

Rdkopper 07-22-2020 01:05 AM

I need to hear the whole thing but it's listenable, great tempo, and so much better than the acoustic version.

I wish the vocals on this were the same as those on American Reckoning

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 07-22-2020 01:30 AM

My eyes bleed, or I would say my "ears" bleed

Jonty 07-22-2020 01:34 AM

almost sounded like heading towards an Irish Country mid tempo number! However, Bonjovi making use of social media is good and love the art work on it. Sadly, not sure that sells singles or albums nowadays.

angelsambo 07-22-2020 02:12 AM

https://twitter.com/IslandRecords/st...25181399498755

i wish that the guitar sound would be more aggressive and not too low in the mix

liljovi93 07-22-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265748)

i wish that the guitar sound would be more aggressive and not too low in the mix

Sounds like a typical Shanks production already.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

eddie73 07-22-2020 09:50 AM

I actually quite like it in this form , its certainly surprised me as I'm normally quite critical as you know.

But just one thing, all this stuff about "typical shanks production" its only that way cause Jon wants it that way. If you listen to Van Halen's last studio album " a different kind of truth " which is a shanks production (2012) it has hard rock production all over it, its a killer album . As much as I'm not keen on shanks in the band, he's doing what he's asked and paid to do

liljovi93 07-22-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1265750)
I actually quite like it in this form , its certainly surprised me as I'm normally quite critical as you know.

But just one thing, all this stuff about "typical shanks production" its only that way cause Jon wants it that way. If you listen to Van Halen's last studio album " a different kind of truth " which is a shanks production (2012) it has hard rock production all over it, its a killer album . As much as I'm not keen on shanks in the band, he's doing what he's asked and paid to do

It's the other way around, for me. Any other album I've listened too with Shanks as producer sounds similar to Jovi in terms of the production.

Supersonic 07-22-2020 10:04 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

This sounds like it was recorded as a slow song and then given an uptempo drumbeat. The vocals and electric guitar strumming the chords don't fit the drums at all.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

wichi850262 07-22-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1265752)
The vocals and electric guitar strumming the chords don't fit the drums at all.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Like you'd know 😉 Of course, everyone has a right to an opinion, if this is what your statement is. I think it fits well, just in a different way.

liljovi93 07-22-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Aloha !

This sounds like it was recorded as a slow song and then given an uptempo drumbeat. The vocals and electric guitar strumming the chords don't fit the drums at all.

Salaam Aleikum,

Sebastiaan

Yeah, I agree here. Jon's vocals don't sound that different to the acoustic version of him singing it but it's like the rest of the song is playing catch up.

bonboy25 07-22-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I dont typically agree with you on anything, but this I fully get!

steel_horse75 07-22-2020 12:47 PM

More rubbish from “the band” - did they even play on it?
Probably a drum machine, Jon and shanks.

Same whinny twangy guitar from every song since I can remember.

Next........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GabrielC 07-22-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1265751)
It's the other way around, for me. Any other album I've listened too with Shanks as producer sounds similar to Jovi in terms of the production.

Magnetic by Goo Goo Dolls comes to mind. Very typical Shanks/Jovi production.

GabrielC 07-22-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I agree. The song sounds a bit disjointed.

bonjovi90 07-22-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,

Sebastiaan

It's probably the only possible way of producing since Jon can't keep up with uptempo songs anymore these days, maybe not even in the studio.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

bonjovi90 07-22-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1265756)
More rubbish from “the band” - did they even play on it?
Probably a drum machine, Jon and shanks.

Same whinny twangy guitar from every song since I can remember.

Next........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... Waiting for Captain Jovi to jump all over this statement since, once again, someone accused the band of not playing on it [emoji23]

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265761)
... Waiting for Captain Jovi to jump all over this statement since, once again, someone accused the band of not playing on it [emoji23]

HAHAHA to be fair I did and then deleted. I need to accept people will think different then me (but will still beat a horse dead and then parade it around town).

bjcrazycpa 07-22-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265762)
HAHAHA to be fair I did and then deleted. I need to accept people will think different then me (but will still beat a horse dead and then parade it around town).

Well in your defense Matt, Jon did say the band played on the song in his now deleted tweet. Or are we all now to the point of assuming he's lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1265763)
Well in your defense Matt, Jon did say the band played on the song in his now deleted tweet. Or are we all now to the point of assuming he's lying.

Slippery slope, Deb. You're setting yourself up for the answer you know is coming. After all, Shanks is responsible for everything Jon does...

bjcrazycpa 07-22-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265764)
Slippery slope, Deb. You're setting yourself up for the answer you know is coming. After all, Shanks is responsible for everything Jon does...

Ha ha...roger that!!

Supersonic 07-22-2020 02:35 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Jon's definition of "the band" can mean anything nowadays with Shank being in the studio on official records and Phil X not being on every song despite him being "an official member".

First thing I noticed is Jon is behind the beat. The bassline is dull and sounds like it was played by a guitarist as opposed to a bassplayer. As a result the backbeat of the song is lost as the bassplayer and drummer are supposed to work together while on this song they aren't. Technically it'll probably fill all the boxes but it doesn't sound like a band playing an actual song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265764)

I get what you're saying but ultimately it is Shanks who has produced this. It has his sound all over it, it's just that Jon Bon Jovi seems to like this sound a lot. Down the line it's all still mixed and produced the same way like Have A Nice Day was produced but just with a lot less guitar, way more overdubs and a lot more unnecessary noise (reverb, echo, and other stuff) to cover up for the emptiness in the arrangements. All that started to show up once the band stopped creating songs in the studio after stuff had been written by Jon and Richie. So yeah, even though Jon approves of this, it's still Shanks who's created it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

bjcrazycpa 07-22-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1265766)
Aloha !

Jon's definition of "the band" can mean anything nowadays with Shank being in the studio on official records and Phil X not being on every song despite him being "an official member".

First thing I noticed is Jon is behind the beat. The bassline is dull and sounds like it was played by a guitarist as opposed to a bassplayer. As a result the backbeat of the song is lost as the bassplayer and drummer are supposed to work together while on this song they aren't. Technically it'll probably fill all the boxes but it doesn't sound like a band playing an actual song.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Seb,
Definitely not challenging what you are saying as to be honest, I didn't listen closely to the clip at all. I trust your ear waaaay more than my own.

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Aloha !

I get what you're saying but ultimately it is Shanks who has produced this. It has his sound all over it, it's just that Jon Bon Jovi seems to like this sound a lot. Down the line it's all still mixed and produced the same way like Have A Nice Day was produced but just with a lot less guitar, way more overdubs and a lot more unnecessary noise (reverb, echo, and other stuff) to cover up for the emptiness in the arrangements. All that started to show up once the band stopped creating songs in the studio after stuff had been written by Jon and Richie. So yeah, even though Jon approves of this, it's still Shanks who's created it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

It's Shanks that produced it and has his sound and style of production all over it. HUNDRED percent, agreed it was probably produced fill in the blanks style versus everyone playing at once. I truly think the reason he's still around is his speed of production and knowing how to fit the mold of production around his declining vocals.

Not sure about the bass part, it's still too early to tell and hard to hear but Hugh sticking with the root notes isn't the most uncommon thing in the world.

Savvi 07-22-2020 03:15 PM

Pleasantly surprised with the Do What You Can clip. Nothing special, but enjoyable. I like that it's so upbeat.

Rdkopper 07-22-2020 03:43 PM

Iḿ in agreement with all the above.

I wish all bands in general would record the way they once did. Too many technology tricks involved and not enough studio time.

Jonś natural voice has become so unenjoyable lately, Iĺl take option B if I have to choose one over the other. I do however think they (Jon and John) could find a much better balance with Jonś voice. Iḿ not 100% certain how Jon records but Iḿ going to take a shot and say that itś once or twice start to finish and thatś it. Then they go through some note corrector / auto-tune / vocal technology improvement process / etc.

Not to drift too far off topic but I know a lot of bands are anti demo because they believe the demo is the best take. Once it starts to iron out, the song loses that magic. Back to Bon Jovi - I can agree somewhat with that even when comparing the NJ demos to the final release. Maybe Shanks convinced Jon of that somewhere towards the beginning of HAND... And at the time, using technology was a modern breakthrough. The only difference is, Jonś voice was much more recordable back then.

Anyway, I think if Jon took a little extra time in the studio laying down different vocal notes, less technology would be needed for a more natural sound. Studio tricks have been used since the beginning of time so Iḿ not against it. Iḿ just not a fan of apparent shortcuts and digital coverups. Itś just sloppy and lazy.

Unfortunately as far as timing goes, I don't think Jon has the air to keep up.
When I listen to We Don't Run on BB, itś obviously apparent that the song was recorded in a slower speed and sped up. Especially when you listen to the Ohhhhś in Teardrop and then listen to them in WDR. So yes, Do What You Can was most likely recorded the same way...

But at the end of it all, as much as we want Jon to sound like the Jon of yesteryear, and record, and write music, and sing etc, heś not that guy anymore. Itś 2020 and this is where itś at now.

Some artists make a career out of that Electronic vocal. Post Malone just sprang to mind. With this technology, Jon can record for another 20 years.

TheOriginalJez 07-22-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Aloha !

I don't like agreeing with Seb on principle (:p) but so much this. And those drums sound so lazy I'd go so far as to say that there's no way that was played live either. Or if it was Tico was woken up at 3am, handed a weak coffee and told to play - not given the track, just a BPM and time signature. There are at least 3 fills missing from that 30 second clip.

As it is my money would be that Shanks racked up a shitty country backing track from Jon's acoustic version with a drum machine and him playing everything else.

rolo_tomachi 07-22-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Jon's voice surprised me. The tricks still work for him in the studio. That's fine.

Now if Richie were here doing her backing vocals and playing the guitar it would be much more enjoyable.

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 05:46 PM

Shanks produced this in 2002. He has a "style" I'll give ya that but he clearly produces to fit the sound that bands want. The sound is crystal clear, the guitars jangle, the drums groove.

The band sounds like Jon wants them to. Or how he has to sound because of what needs to be done to his voice. A natural sound would sound terrible with his thin voice maybe, I really don't know.

JackieBlue 07-22-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1265765)
Ha ha...roger that!!

Well, far be it from me to imply that Jon would ever say anything that isn't 100% the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth... :rolleyes:

But, dang it, now you've got me wondering why "his now deleted tweet" was deleted. :p:)

Speaking more seriously, though, it's no secret that I believe there's been a lot less band involvement on the album than Jon wants us to think. The other guys may, in fact, be playing on all the songs. But even so, I'm not sure if that means they have a lot of creative input; or if they're just overdubbing parts that Jon and Shanks have basically preordained.

Either way, I agree with Matt that Shanks is doing what Jon wants, not the other way around. Shanks may have a great deal of influence over the sound; but Jon is, ultimately, the one who calls the shots. That's the way it's always been, and I don't see that changing.

Captain_jovi 07-22-2020 06:07 PM

Pretty much, I don't think for a second Tico is saying "What if I just play this beat for 3.5 minutes". The whole thing is creatively stifled to hell BUT I also think they're playing on it in the same manner of the last 15 years.

But I also don't think Jon deleting the tweet because he said the band played on it and that wasn't true so he took it down (not sure if that's what you were meaning or not).

JackieBlue 07-22-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265775)

But I also don't think Jon deleting the tweet because he said the band played on it and that wasn't true so he took it down (not sure if that's what you were meaning or not).

Nah, I don't really believe that, either. Just playing around with Deb... :)

Adam D 07-22-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265775)
Pretty much, I don't think for a second Tico is saying "What if I just play this beat for 3.5 minutes". The whole thing is creatively stifled to hell BUT I also think they're playing on it in the same manner of the last 15 years.

I'd assume the tweet was taken down because Jon mentioned an early October release date and it hasn't been finalized yet.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

faith1985 07-22-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

He said it on the 1-minute-review thing as well. I mean it is a bit hard to get people in a recording studio together. I did not see the tweet. But I think it is a good thing that Jon did the video on monday and they are releasing it now. Maybe it is a sign that he is motivated again;)

faith1985 07-22-2020 08:18 PM

I still think it is very 'interesting' how much we project into this man. I was doing it too by saying he was a narcissist.But as always, people see what they want to see or are only alble to.

I mean, when the ticket prices are high, Jon is greedy but when he records a charity single almost nobody here says: that is a good move.

rolo_tomachi 07-22-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1265779)
I still think it is very 'interesting' how much we project into this man. I was doing it too by saying he was a narcissist.But as always, people see what they want to see or are only alble to.

I mean, when the ticket prices are high, Jon is greedy but when he records a charity single almost nobody here says: that is a good move.

Well, I'll give you my opinion about it. I don't care what Jon is like at all, good person? Bad person? Whatever it is, I'm just here for the music, and it was always like that.

A lot of artists do good acts of charity, that's fine, don't get me wrong, I just don't like to idealize an artist for these things.

And about this, I gave my opinion on these two songs (DWYC and AR), and it seemed like a good idea, especially since it is perfect to fit it with his new album.

Rdkopper 07-22-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265780)
Well, I'll give you my opinion about it. I don't care what Jon is like at all, good person? Bad person? Whatever it is, I'm just here for the music, and it was always like that.

A lot of artists do good acts of charity, that's fine, don't get me wrong, I just don't like to idealize an artist for these things.

And about this, I gave my opinion on these two songs (DWYC and AR), and it seemed like a good idea, especially since it is perfect to fit it with his new album.

Fair enough! Jon aside, every celebrity in Hollywood has a charity for write off purposes.

rolo_tomachi 07-22-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265781)
Fair enough! Jon aside, every celebrity in Hollywood has a charity for write off purposes.

But I am not trying to make that point. I'm just not interested in that part of the artist. My interest is in music and how that connects with me. I do not care if he donates to charity or if he is a drug addict. I am here for the music, not for the person.

Rdkopper 07-22-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265783)
But I am not trying to make that point. I'm just not interested in that part of the artist. My interest is in music and how that connects with me. I do not care if he donates to charity or if he is a drug addict. I am here for the music, not for the person.

The problem is, his politics are driving his music.

Jon would definitely throw his hat in the political ring if he could. He just doesn't want all the dirt outed from his early rock star days.