Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Richie on current leg of the tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55338)

faith1985 08-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlj (Post 1150265)
Hi guys - Nowadays I don't post here much as there's so much squabbling and made up gossip but I do like to check out what's going on in Jovi land.
I was a massive fan up until 'Lost Highway' and since 'The Circle' I've been very 'Mehhh' about the material - way too safe and middle of the road - but I admire the band and Jon for longetivity and keeping popular.
I'm only posting because of some of the daft comments on here - Some of you seem to forget that this is the music business - BUSINESS - and first and foremost that is how the band is run - and why it is so successful - whether you like it or not that is mainly down to Jon....
As for taking sides - I'm not - I've met both Richie and Jon and both are professional, successful guys with talent. To suggest Richie just walks away because he does n't care about the fans is plain daft.
Very few will know exactly what went on - but Richie is losing a lot of money (and popularity at present) by walking from the tour. The Jovi camp is very secretive and even now Richie is keeping to that oath - maybe there's a stand off or maybe which is likely no one knows what is going to happen - but to think Richie puts a middle finger up to everyone and walks not caring I think is a bit harsh - we may never know the facts but business wise he would not do that unless something pretty upsetting or serious has happened.
For what it's worth I don't think him and Jon have been getting on great for a while - and even though he may have great wealth and some fame - it must be hard for Richie to always be the shadow and when he puts some solo work he is proud of out (whether you like it or not!) not allowed to either perform or promote it like he wishes - time and effort gone to waste ........ - that may not be the reason but I'd be wound up.
As for looking at sales and popularity of the Sambora album - if we did that then 'One Direction' are a class act - rather stupid ...... - I really like the album - it sounds like a band playing which is something missing from the last couple of Jovi albums - although it could do with a couple of radio hit material tracks ...... - but he's dammed if he does, dammed if he don't - if he made an allout rock album = no radio play - commercial album = Some Jovi fans will bash it for no big guitars .......
Jon is a top business man with a good head - a good commercial musician and without him the band would be nothing - Richie is a good musician probably lacking Jon's business head and hunger but put together they make a great team - if one loses faith in the other or both at the same time or appreciation - maybe this is what happens .......
A break is needed to let everything simmer down and medium term decisions made - which is probably what is happening now. Bashing Richie or Matt on twitter will only result in less information coming out and I think truthfully no one does know anything - a likely stalemate ..........

That business talk is still just stupid. Jon's job is NOT being the smart business man, it is just an image that he brought up during that ridiculous The Circle-pricing-crap. Since then he is playing that part. It might work well in the US but I doubt that many people here in Europe see Jon / the band that way.
Fact is that Jon is not able to keep his band together but still making a lot of money with his fan club. Due to Jon's ego / and probably Richie's ego too it has become the JBJ and friends band and the music has suffered immensely and the sales are deteriorating. The band has become totally nostalgic and lazy and the twitter work of Matt and Richie is a joke. People who were working in the fan club last tour are gone and even the soundcheck music has become static.

So, tell me again that Jon is doing a good job. It is the prime example why music shouldn't be pure business because that is not what music is there for.

karlj 08-14-2013 03:38 PM

So the bickering starts - already said the last couple of albums are not great - and I've not seen them since 2006 ! - but name me a rock band from the 80's (apart from U2) that can sell tickets like Bon Jovi - unfortunately it is now a a business machine - yes overtouring means not selling places out but they are still making a lot of money - touring is where the money is - not album sales ....
Richie walking has cost him a lot of money .....
kj

JoviJovi 08-14-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1150269)
That business talk is still just stupid. Jon's job is NOT being the smart business man, it is just an image that he brought up during that ridiculous The Circle-pricing-crap. Since then he is playing that part. It might work well in the US but I doubt that many people here in Europe see Jon / the band that way.
Fact is that Jon is not able to keep his band together but still making a lot of money with his fan club. Due to Jon's ego / and probably Richie's ego too it has become the JBJ and friends band and the music has suffered immensely and the sales are deteriorating. The band has become totally nostalgic and lazy and the twitter work of Matt and Richie is a joke. People who were working in the fan club last tour are gone and even the soundcheck music has become static.

So, tell me again that Jon is doing a good job. It is the prime example why music shouldn't be pure business because that is not what music is there for.

Jon has kept HIS band together for 30 years. That cannot be taken away no matter how snobbish you want to be with the whole US vs. Europe crap.

karlj 08-14-2013 05:05 PM

He's always been a good businessman - why do you think the band are on salaries and not equal members ? - Why do you think he made sure U.S ticket sales for the 'Lost Highway' tour gave away an itunes voucher only for purchase of 'Lost Highway' the week of release of said album ........ He's no fool I can assure you ....business is business and thats what this is all about ....
kj

faith1985 08-14-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviJovi (Post 1150276)
Jon has kept HIS band together for 30 years. That cannot be taken away no matter how snobbish you want to be with the whole US vs. Europe crap.

Well considering a band a "brand" IS a reflection of some American core values it has nothing to do with snobbery and some years back (before Jon was focussing on the US market the way he does now) he had a different attitude towards the "music business" and the average BJ(female) fan uses BJ as a synonyme for Jon while many male fans still regard the others as an important part.
And no, Jon has not kept HIS band together for the last 30 years and 10 years ago it was much more about the whole band and about music than it is now. Yes, Jon was always the frontman, but he was rather a singer in a band than "a business man with HIS band". God, how much I miss the days before football and charity and this self important ego crap.

RonJovi 08-14-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1150282)
Well considering a band a "brand" IS a reflection of some American core values it has nothing to do with snobbery and some years back (before Jon was focussing on the US market the way he does now) he had a different attitude towards the "music business" and the average BJ(female) fan uses BJ as a synonyme for Jon while many male fans still regard the others as an important part.
And no, Jon has not kept HIS band together for the last 30 years and 10 years ago it was much more about the whole band and about music than it is now. Yes, Jon was always the frontman, but he was rather a singer in a band than "a business man with HIS band". God, how much I miss the days before football and charity and this self important ego crap.

Didn't Bob Rock say that the band dynamic changed between New Jersey and Keep the Faith? That in the 80s Bon Jovi was a band whereas, by 1992, it became Jon + band.

It's possible that that was when the seeds we sewn for the current situation.

Sissy3 08-14-2013 07:28 PM

When did Jon fire Doc McGhee and take control himself? I always felt that was when the first seeds of "CEO of a corporation" started. Was that early '90's? (Bad fan, I can't remember these details. :D)

Gabriel Shoes 08-14-2013 07:34 PM

The question no one raised yet is: will Bon Jovi still exist without Richie? Will David and Tico stick together with Jon for another album?

I'm pretty sure that Jon is already thining about another record, we all know what workaholic he is. David and Tico didn't want to go on tour in first place, Richie left... so, what about now?

One thing is to cancel an ongoing tour, another thing is to create a whole new cycle of album/tour.

I don't think Richie is coming back for Bon Jovi.

bonjovi90 08-14-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissy3 (Post 1150287)
When did Jon fire Doc McGhee and take control himself? I always felt that was when the first seeds of "CEO of a corporation" started. Was that early '90's? (Bad fan, I can't remember these details. :D)

Either September 5th or 6th in 1991 ;)

golittleperson 08-14-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterytrain (Post 1150266)
One thing I've noticed is that he seems to be deliberately avoiding posting re-Tweets of Bon Jovi performances. The only Bon Jovi-related things he will re-Tweet are of himself doing solo performances of Bon Jovi songs.

He did actually ask for fans to search for one only, and it very much included Jon, kinda gave me a false sense of hope for a few. Not so angry after all feeling. For a few.

Richie Sambora‏@TheRealSambora3 Aug
I got it... Thanks so much..

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorited

Richie Sambora‏@TheRealSambora3 Aug
Hey anybody got that SNL clip the Demarco auditions...

Expand