Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   JBJ has had vocal Surgery (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=71054)

jovifan85 02-04-2024 10:41 PM

JBJ has had vocal Surgery

JBJ confirmed (no direct source of speech) in his MusicCares speech, that MusicCares payed for his Vocal Surgery and discussed this with Shania Twain.

The big test is can JBJ can make any realistic improvement singing Live anymore....If he achieves anything to 2011 Tour Voice will be an achievement. Even pre 2022 America Tour voice will be acceptable to some fans now.

John Shanks can still do tricks in the studio. But it will be interesting to see IF there will be any noticeable vocal improvement on this Album and any future Album, that's if JBJ takes care of his remaning vocal voice.

The clip of JBJ with Shania Twain is on Bon Jovi Talk Twitter.

Rdkopper 02-04-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1287724)
JBJ confirmed in his MusicCares speech, that MusicCares payed for his Vocal Surgery and discussed this with Shania Twain.

The big test is can JBJ can make any realistic improvement singing Live anymore....If he achieves anything to 2011 Tour Voice will be an achievement. Even pre 2022 America Tour voice will be acceptable to some fans now.

John Shanks can still do tricks in the studio. But it will be interesting to see IF there will be any noticeable vocal improvement on this Album and any future Album, that's if JBJ takes care of his remaning vocal voice.

1. I told you all

2. That speaks (no pun) volumes to his dedication

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

blazeofglory 02-04-2024 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1287724)
JBJ confirmed in his MusicCares speech, that MusicCares payed for his Vocal Surgery and discussed this with Shania Twain.

Is there a source for what he said in his speech? Seems a bit odd to me that Jon Bon Jovi, the guy with a net worth of several hundred million dollars, would have a charity pay for his surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jovifan85 02-04-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1287726)
Is there a source for what he said in his speech? Seems a bit odd to me that Jon Bon Jovi, the guy with a net worth of several hundred million dollars, would have a charity pay for his surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fan said (ericgilbertJr) on Twitter that he thanked MusicCares no direct link to the speech, but JBJ with Shania Twian discussing it suggests he has had it.

bonjovi90 02-04-2024 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1287727)
A fan said (ericgilbertJr) on Twitter that he thanked MusicCares no direct link to the speech, but JBJ with Shania Twian discussing it suggests he has had it.

That user is a very, let's say special, kind of follower.
Could well be true, but I wouldn't call a video where Jon points at his throat while looking at her "discussing their vocal surgeries". You literally see them for like 3 seconds and don't hear one word over the crowd noise.

jovifan85 02-04-2024 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1287728)
Could well be true, but I wouldn't call a video where Jon points at his throat while looking at her "discussing their vocal surgeries". You literally see them for like 3 seconds and don't hear one word over the crowd noise.

You can hear JBJ saying " I did too" what is that? Throat Surgery to help with his vocal cords.

blazeofglory 02-05-2024 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1287727)

Ah, given the kind of person that guy is I trust anything he says without supplying a credible source about as far as I can throw him.

In that video with Shania Twain I hear Jon saying "I did" not "I did too". Maybe they were talking about vocal surgery, but she also could've asked him about literally any other kind of surgery or just surgery in general when she noticed his scar.

Just saying that is very little information to go on to take it as confirmation that he did indeed have vocal surgery.

jovifan85 02-05-2024 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1287730)
Ah, given the kind of person that guy is I trust anything he says without supplying a credible source about as far as I can throw him.

In that video with Shania Twain I hear Jon saying "I did" not "I did too". Maybe they were talking about vocal surgery, but she also could've asked him about literally any other kind of surgery or just surgery in general when she noticed his scar.

Just saying that is very little information to go on to take it as confirmation that he did indeed have vocal surgery.

Perhaps if any one asks at the Q+A JBJ doing this week we may get confirmation, but I'm confident he has had it, based on whether how people interpret what he said and pointing to the throat.

Agree to disagree here, until you hear JBJ confirm it.

bonjovi90 02-05-2024 12:23 AM

If Jon really said it in a speech there, he seems prepared to talk about it and might open up about the topic.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

Slick_Gilbert 02-05-2024 12:36 PM

Hello

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1287728)

"Special"...? Okay. Haha. Idk what that means. I'm just a massive fan. That's me on Twitter though. Anyways, it was from a video of Jon speaking to an interviewer. But it was so chopped up and context could have actually been him talking about somebody else. But Jon says direct "I needed an operation..Who was there for me? .music cares was there for me" Again, might be him giving an example of someone who needed help and music cares helped them. But that's what I remembered hearing in a short clip. I just watched it again.

Butters 02-05-2024 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick_Gilbert (Post 1287736)
"Special"...? Okay. Haha. Idk what that means. I'm just a massive fan. That's me on Twitter though. Anyways, it was from a video of Jon speaking to an interviewer. But it was so chopped up and context could have actually been him talking about somebody else. But Jon says direct "I needed an operation..Who was there for me? .music cares was there for me" Again, might be him giving an example of someone who needed help and music cares helped them. But that's what I remembered hearing in a short clip. I just watched it again.

If he did have surgery in the hopes of improving his voice, I'm sure it will be covered in the upcoming documentary.

Cheese Champion 02-07-2024 10:30 PM

In today's Pollstar event, Jon talked about the surgery and said that he had major reconstructive surgery. He talked about the reason he got it and how he is well on the road to recovery. He also mentioned that he wants to keep working on it before getting back on the road.

Edit: Here's the link

https://twitter.com/JoviUpdates/stat...33854905180247

bonjovi90 02-07-2024 10:45 PM

Can someone pinpoint the time he talks about it? Don't have time to watch 45 minutes of it. Thanks!

Johny 02-07-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1287802)
Can someone pinpoint the time he talks about it? Don't have time to watch 45 minutes of it. Thanks!

Here he talks about his health and his way to recovery. Not a mention of the surgery though.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1964447043950508

Thinny 02-07-2024 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1287803)
Here he talks about his health and his way to recovery. Not a mention of the surgery though.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1964447043950508

It's good that he's finally talking about it openly.

About the documentary "It's called 'Thank You, Good Night' for a reason..."

If that doesn't signal this could be the end then nothing will...

Cheese Champion 02-07-2024 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1287802)

Sorry forgot about the timestanp its at about 20:15

Jovi98 02-07-2024 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1287804)
It's good that he's finally talking about it openly.

About the documentary "It's called 'Thank You, Good Night' for a reason..."

If that doesn't signal this could be the end then nothing will...

In that title there are the words that Jon said a lot of times at the end (or almost at the end) of the concerts.

Not necessarily it’s a goodbye, but….

we’ll see.

Rdkopper 02-07-2024 11:15 PM

I actually got a little choked up watching that.

40 years of a guy giving his all, ends up destroying himself and everyone is out there bashing him and his legacy.

Poor guy got attacked for using a playback because his voice was unattached and he still came out the next day to open a show and prove himself.

That was so liberating, and I'm glad he discussed it.

bonboy25 02-07-2024 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1287808)
I actually got a little choked up watching that.

40 years of a guy giving his all, ends up destroying himself and everyone is out there bashing him and his legacy.

Poor guy got attacked for using a playback because his voice was unattached and he still came out the next day to open a show and prove himself.

That was so liberating, and I'm glad he discussed it.

Yeah, that made me feel quite bad for slamming him at the time. To be fully fair. His performance of Who Says at the Musicares was better than I've heard in years. I'm interested to hear his studio voice. I'm glad he's talking about it at least.

Do we know when Christmas Isn't Christmas was recorded? Pretty sure he said it was a couple years old, but don't think there was a mention of recording age.

Thinny 02-07-2024 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1287806)
In that title there are the words that Jon said a lot of times at the end (or almost at the end) of the concerts.

Not necessarily it’s a goodbye, but….

But he literally says in the interview when he's talking about his voice issues that they "Called it 'thank you, goodnight' for a reason" - what other reason is there?

He also said in this interview that he has been having this vocal issue for the last 10 years. I still believe he left it too long to have the vocal surgury. I get that it was a last resort and he probably wanted to try other things first, but 8 years was too long and probably did more damage in the long run.

he's says that he wants to get back to playing 2 and half hour shows but he needs to be realistic. He's almost 62 has vocal issues and is not Bruce Springsteen, I just don't see any reality where that can happen. Hope I'm wrong!

jovifan85 02-07-2024 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheese Champion (Post 1287805)
Sorry forgot about the timestanp its at about 20:15

JBJ sounds happy about the New Album. It looks like it could be the last, I couldn't hear if he wanted to make just albums if he couldn't hit the level anymore live.

Interesting to see what the Band say on the Documentary, could be the last Album, but surely JBJ would want to say goodbye Live and the Band when JBJ feels he can manage to do it ( if he could)

bonjovi90 02-07-2024 11:47 PM

So he said the operation was three years ago, prior to the 2022 tour then. Maybe that was too early to go out on the road at the time...

Jovi98 02-07-2024 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1287809)

Do we know when Christmas Isn't Christmas was recorded? Pretty sure he said it was a couple years old, but don't think there was a mention of recording age.

Yes in October/November in a clip the day they was recording the videoclip (released in November before the release of the videoclip of the song)Jon said that he wrote the song two years ago, so around the time he started to write again for a possible new album…

But no mention of when it was recorded.

Maybe when they did the pre-production in New Jersey before Nashville sessions??? Or maybe earlier…

Thinny 02-07-2024 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1287812)
So he said the operation was three years ago, prior to the 2022 tour then. Maybe that was too early to go out on the road at the time...

I'm pretty sure he said it was almost 2 years ago, which would be right after the tour? There's no way he could have had it done before the tour.

Sounds to me like that tour was what really woke him up to the fact that he needed to have the operation.

Jovi98 02-07-2024 11:57 PM

Jon had that scar in his neck after the 2022 tour

Rdkopper 02-08-2024 12:10 AM

2 years give or take.

That's great that the dude doing the interview is Jesse's future father in law.

Rdkopper 02-08-2024 01:36 AM

That was an amazing interview. At the end, he asked what's the future like for Bon Jovi. And Jon says the documentary will explain it all but it's called "Thank You And Goodnight For A Reason".

The hair on my arms literally stood up. This is a band I knew for 40 years and followed for 37.

Jack27 02-08-2024 06:38 AM

I’m mixed here - he said it’s called “Thank you, Goodnight” for a reason…but still says he hopes to go on tour unless he’s unable to be great. So it all sounds very undecided. Before the interview I half wondered if the tour was going to be announced after episode 4…but as I said before, it still seems to be a wait and see with Jon’s recovery.

facaXe 02-08-2024 06:56 AM

So he has a prosthestic chord now. Man, I have tears in my eyes. Singing was this man's passion for his whole life and then health issues take this away from him. I wish him all the best, I hope he gets to fully recover ❤️

eddie73 02-08-2024 07:32 AM

Jon said " if i cant be great, im out " when asked about touring. I personally think he will want to take it around the world one last time and say a proper farewell .... If the last show is in NJ/NY im on the plane no questions asked !

eddie73 02-08-2024 08:19 AM

Full interview … major reconstruction of his vocal cords , glad he’s finally opened up about it … starts at 20 min mark

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1296528037681664

steel_horse75 02-08-2024 08:46 AM

Can someone let Jon know that whatever Jon decides he will have Jerrys support.

Hopefully Jon can sleep easier now.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

liljovi93 02-08-2024 09:01 AM

I hope all of those who called me a liar/making rumours up about vocal surgery and trying to say the scar isn't vocal surgery feel like a tit now.

Heartbreaking to hear but I'm glad he's open about it. This is a band we love and no matter how much we slate them, we're here because we do love them at the end of the day.

Let's see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

kleman 02-08-2024 09:07 AM

"Heartbreaking to hear but I'm glad he's open about it. This is a band we love and no matter how much we slate them, we're here because we do love them at the end of the day.

Let's see what happens. "

Amen to that!

Chris_Newton 02-08-2024 10:07 AM

Really great interview.

I think its pritty straight forward. If jon thinks he can do himself justice then he will do another tour, otherwise thats it as far as touring goes.

steel_horse75 02-08-2024 10:23 AM

They don't need to tour.
Theyve been there and done that. No one goes to the shows to hear Limitless or DWYC so just release albums and do a few low key accoustic shows every few months.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 02-08-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1287819)
I’m mixed here - he said it’s called “Thank you, Goodnight” for a reason…but still says he hopes to go on tour unless he’s unable to be great. So it all sounds very undecided. Before the interview I half wondered if the tour was going to be announced after episode 4…but as I said before, it still seems to be a wait and see with Jon’s recovery.

I think Thank You, Goodnight is what happens after this album and possible tour. Jon's has 4 kids, 3 getting married. He's opening a restaurant in Nashville. He's definitely gearing up for life after Bon Jovi.

I don't think he'll stop singing and doing solo shows but I think he's done being consumed by the machine of it all.

I think he wants to go out on top. That last album and especially tour was a disaster. He needs one last run to redeem it all.

rolo_tomachi 02-08-2024 11:22 AM

It breaks my heart that he has prosthetics. If Jon has proven anything, it is that he loves making music and singing it live. He has always been very active in it, even going through all kinds of adversity.

I don't think he will ever completely retire, it all depends on what his voice sounds like in the studio now. Crossing my fingers that he never stops releasing new music, as it was always his passion...and ours.

Wishing the best.

BJFan99 02-08-2024 11:30 AM

Heartbreaking (though not surprising) to hear all these details about what’s been going on with Jon for the last 10 years. I feel ashamed for having been so hard on him, even though I do think he should have come out and made his condition public by at least 2017.

The disease that he has - vocal cord atrophy - obviously isn’t his fault, but he could’ve chosen an easier way out and given us fans the right to know what was up with him several years ago already, instead of ripping people off with substandard performances at higher prices than ever while knowing his instrument wasn’t up for the task. That I can’t understand, but I feel very sad for the poor guy anyway and wish him all the best, hopefully his voice recovers as much as possible with the right medical treatment.

Jack27 02-08-2024 12:03 PM

When you hear what David was saying on Friday night in interviews, it was definitely not that they’re slowing down - but getting ready for the wave and there’s a lot left in the band.