Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does anyone else dislike the viloin Girl? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45874)

superkid 07-06-2008 07:35 PM

Does anyone else dislike the viloin Girl?

When I was watching a video on youtube today of who says you can't go home, I thought that the violin "didn't belong" if you know what I mean. I don't like the sound of the violin on this song, especially on the solo. It worked well on the album w/ Jennifer Nettles, but since they didn't use a violinist for it on The Hand tour, I thought they wouldn't use it again. I was wrong. Anyway, the violin worked okay with the LH album, but I think they shouldv'e left it at that and toured without her. the violin parts sound just as good on the guitar in my opinion. Thoughts?

Bonjovifan 07-06-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superkid (Post 857768)
When I was watching a video on youtube today of who says you can't go home, I thought that the violin "didn't belong" if you know what I mean. I don't like the sound of the violin on this song, especially on the solo. It worked well on the album w/ Jennifer Nettles, but since they didn't use a violinist for it on The Hand tour, I thought they wouldn't use it again. I was wrong. Anyway, the violin worked okay with the LH album, but I think they shouldv'e left it at that and toured without her. the violin parts sound just as good on the guitar in my opinion. Thoughts?

I don't dislike her, but I think they should have left her at home for the LH Tour!
She just didn't look right up there on the stage with the band.

However, she has been around for a long time, way before the LH album.
Jon has known her for years. She was on stage performing with him and the Big Dogs
when they played a show for the fanclub's 10th Anniversary bash in New Jersey back in 1998!

milomom 07-06-2008 08:07 PM

There are just 7 shows left on the tour. Do we really need to bash Lorenza and/or the decision to include a violin this time around AGAIN? Goodness knows we covered this ground over and over.

Bonjovifan 07-06-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 857781)
There are just 7 shows left on the tour. Do we really need to bash Lorenza and/or the decision to include a violin this time around AGAIN? Goodness knows we covered this ground over and over.

I'm not bashing her, just saying my opinion.
She's a great addition to the band's sound in more intimatate performances, just not on tour.
I remember her being with the band when they did that beautiful version of "Prayer" for the concert for hero's in Sept 2001.

JerseyboyUK 07-06-2008 08:18 PM

On the 3 shows i saw i was pleasantly surprised that the violin wasnt nearly as intrusive as i thought it would be. I actually thought they were quite discreet and were well used and really worked especially with Blaze Of Glory and These Days.

No more Lorenza bashing!

(Start on Bobby instead, the useless hunk of crap!)

superkid 07-06-2008 08:28 PM

Just my opinion. I think that she also makes the show more country sounding. In 1986 we would laugh at the idea of Bon Jovi ever having a violinist.

KeepTheFaith2211 07-06-2008 08:42 PM

I don't mind her at all, if the band think they need her on stage and she is good enough to do it I'm happy.

Bon Jovi Princess 07-06-2008 08:59 PM

hehe i had a lot of mixed feelings bout her presence too (as Jon described Bon Jovi as a MAN BAND in his Crush tour/DVD) until i was there and saw she's dead good and lends an extra sound to the tracks. And Jon obviously thinks its good to shake things up a bit now and then so i can't disagree with what Jon thinks ;)

She's also really friendly the way she was smiling away at me and everything i thought she seemed really kind as a person and i came away really likin her!

xx BJP xx

got any quarters?

Kathleen 07-06-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 857796)
(Start on Bobby instead, the useless hunk of crap!)

Nah - don't bash Bobby. If you want to bash anybody - bash Jon for having him there. Bobby is buried in the Bon Jovi band - he has an excellent voice but he doesn't sing as well as Jon - and his guitar skills are superb but his style is very different than Richie's. It's a no win situation for him - though I assume he's being paid well.

I just saw him with Southside Johnny (3 days ago) when they did a 3 1/2 hour concert. His acoustic guitar work was superb during the acoustic set and his voice and Southside's blend together like Jon and Richie's do. He really shines there, where he simply can't with Bon Jovi.

Goldsausage 07-06-2008 09:11 PM

She seems nice. Just kinda annoying, she could play that violin with her chin as well.

Bonjovifan 07-06-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superkid (Post 857807)
Just my opinion. I think that she also makes the show more country sounding. In 1986 we would laugh at the idea of Bon Jovi ever having a violinist.

Yes exactly! She makes the show more country sounding which is what I don't want! Bon Jovi are a ROCK band!
But hey I'm sure this has been said a thousand times already, so whatever.
I'm looking forward to the new album and a new tour which will hopefully be Bon Jovi rockin' at their best!

JerseyboyUK 07-06-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 857842)
Nah - don't bash Bobby. If you want to bash anybody - bash Jon for having him there. Bobby is buried in the Bon Jovi band - he has an excellent voice but he doesn't sing as well as Jon - and his guitar skills are superb but his style is very different than Richie's. It's a no win situation for him - though I assume he's being paid well.

I just saw him with Southside Johnny (3 days ago) when they did a 3 1/2 hour concert. His acoustic guitar work was superb during the acoustic set and his voice and Southside's blend together like Jon and Richie's do. He really shines there, where he simply can't with Bon Jovi.

Do you reckon he'll be coming over to the UK when Southside Johnny does in September? I'm going to a show, i can't wait, tiny tiny venues!

Mongoose 07-06-2008 09:32 PM

That reminds me I need to get my ticket for the Sheffield gig. If Bobby is there I'll wear a Jovi shirt and give him some respect.

As for Lorenza, I hope to god she doesn't stick around after this tour but I don't mind her that much for the LH stuff - but only the LH stuff in my opinion. The fact she's getting involved in old songs worries me slightly that she might hang on for the forseeable future :/

Ferret 07-06-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 857842)

You're right, Bobby is actually a very good singer and guitarist. Yesterday I watched this video of Jon and The Big Dogs playing Billy Get Your Guns in '97/8 and Bobby played a great solo, and that Drift Away peformance shows he has a great voice.

But why does he never play solos like he did in the video I mentioned anymore :(

Bon Jovi Princess 07-06-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose (Post 857862)
That reminds me I need to get my ticket for the Sheffield gig. If Bobby is there I'll wear a Jovi shirt and give him some respect.

As for Lorenza, I hope to god she doesn't stick around after this tour but I don't mind her that much for the LH stuff - but only the LH stuff in my opinion. The fact she's getting involved in old songs worries me slightly that she might hang on for the forseeable future :/

Even tho i do like Lorenza and appreciate Jon and the band's decison /efforts at shaking things up a bit this time round; i has to agree with you on this!! I dont want her as a permanent fixture in the MAN BAND that is BON JOVI!!!!!!!!!!

xx BJP xx

billythekid 07-06-2008 09:37 PM

personally i think the violin worked pretty well,it certainly gave tracks like blaze of glory and wanted a pick me up........but obviously whatever happens after this tour not everyones going to be happy

KeepTheFaith2211 07-06-2008 09:47 PM

Yeah she's good in Lost Highway stuff, and also in songs that suit a violin but not the others.

Bonjovifan 07-06-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 857856)
Do you reckon he'll be coming over to the UK when Southside Johnny does in September? I'm going to a show, i can't wait, tiny tiny venues!

He will for sure be there if his commitments with Bon Jovi are finished.
i've seen Southside Johnny and the Astbury Jukes quite a few times in London, they are great! - And yes, tiny venues too, I love it! :-)

SmirkSteve 07-06-2008 10:01 PM

I must admit that during the concert last Saturday I never really noticed her - I tend to concentrate so much on Jon and Richie and the guitars that I don't even notice Tico, Hugh and David as much as I should, let alone any other added extras! So no, her inclusion doesn't bother me at all.

rainsong 07-06-2008 10:28 PM

I don't mind either her or Bobby being on tour with the band. I thought Lorenza played well, fit in quite nicely and added some flavor to the live show. Bobby is kind of hidden up back there except when Jon pulls him out so I can't say he bugged me. I agree with Kathleen that he isn't utilized very well with BJ, I've seen him with the Jukes and he comes off much better.

Thomas Anderson 07-06-2008 10:38 PM

There were a few moments in some songs where I could hear her a little too high in the mix, but most of the time I think she just adds to the overall sound pretty well - and it's nice to have a woman on tour with them in terms of having someone with a higher voice for the backing vocals, perhaps save some strain on Dave and Richie. I'll be curious to see what they do next tour - didn't Jon say something about it going back to just the 5 of them?

hackster73 07-06-2008 11:14 PM

I think she fades into the background mostly. Maybe her voice is the most useful tool. I can't see her being used again if the band release a more mainstream rock album next time around. At the end of the day Bon Jovi use the artists that fit the sound they are trying to reproduce.

slippery89 07-07-2008 12:59 AM

I don't dislike her, the only thing is that she should of just played on the LH songs and should of not had solo's like in These Days!!

superkid 07-07-2008 01:15 AM

Hope this is her last tour and they return to 5. Her parts on LH sound just as good on the guitar. I also want 0 country influence on the next album. thats something we can agree on.

jade4jovi 07-07-2008 01:54 AM

Ugh, she annoys me! I'm sure she's a lovely person. But, you're not in Bon Jovi **** off.

Goldsausage 07-07-2008 01:57 AM

And her trying to bum Richie. That's annoying as **** as well. Like dude, get outta my parking space.

jade4jovi 07-07-2008 02:03 AM

OMG, I know. I've noticed she soooo wants Richie, lol.

You know on the LH DVD - she goes between Jon and Richie and starts like, dancing with them. They were quite happily dancing away with each other, all cute. Then she just HAD to get inbetween didn't she. :mad:

Crushgen24/88 07-07-2008 02:05 AM

I like the violin sound, but not on the older songs.

hometownboy 07-07-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jade4jovi (Post 858044)
OMG, I know. I've noticed she soooo wants Richie, lol.

You know on the LH DVD - she goes between Jon and Richie and starts like, dancing with them. They were quite happily dancing away with each other, all cute. Then she just HAD to get inbetween didn't she. :mad:

she did that at manchester aswell :p it ruined the photo opportunities , everyone wants photographs of jon and richie but no one wants pictures of jon richie and violin women! lol

Goldsausage 07-07-2008 02:07 AM

Yeah she's starting to think she's part of the band.

Well sorry love but you're a woman. And we don't take too kindly too you :cool: (now if you didn't play violin and looked like Marion Raven maybe I'd vote to keep you in)

Crushgen24/88 07-07-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superkid (Post 857807)

No offense to you personally, but thinking like that is dumb to me.
Are we gonna make fun of the Foo Fighters, or Springsteen now to?

jade4jovi 07-07-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 858048)
she did that at manchester aswell :p it ruined the photo opportunities , everyone wants photographs of jon and richie but no one wants pictures of jon richie and violin women! lol

EXACTLY, my wise friend, exactly!

In the words of this old cheesy TV show, I used to love: You gotta go love. You gotta go, you gotta go, you gotta go!

hometownboy 07-07-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 858053)

i know this wasn't aimed at me but still i'll have my say :p it's expected with springsteen and it works very well with his sound , but when i went to see the foo fighters and i noticed there was cellist on stage (it took a while as she was hid away in the dark :p) i thought "wtf , why have they got her with them" but i couldn't hear her anyway :p not that it matters as it can only add to the sound!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jade4jovi (Post 858059)
EXACTLY, my wise friend, exactly!

In the words of this old cheesy TV show, I used to love: You gotta go love. You gotta go, you gotta go, you gotta go!

your right :p she's gotta go and im sure (in time :p) she will

superkid 07-07-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 858053)

I saw the foo fighters open for Bob Dylan with there acoustic stuff. It was funny seeing Dave head bang to it:p. I didn't like springsteen's folk at all. He went good again with magic though. Iv'e seen him 3 times this tour.

Kathleen 07-07-2008 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jade4jovi (Post 858033)
Ugh, she annoys me! I'm sure she's a lovely person. But, you're not in Bon Jovi **** off.

The thing is - she IS in Bon Jovi if Jon says so. Don't blame her - I'm sure she gets paid well - blame Jon. He is the one who make these decisions.

jade4jovi 07-07-2008 02:31 AM

I shall NEVER blame Jon! (I am joking BTW)

JerseyboyUK 07-07-2008 02:32 AM

I liked it at the end of the shows when they all come forward to take a bow, Richie and Lorenza stand next to each other and go to hold hands then David comes in and stands between them seperating them, everytime! haha

She's pretty hot though. She can stay.

jade4jovi 07-07-2008 02:32 AM

Why do people think she's hot?!

hometownboy 07-07-2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyboyUK (Post 858066)
I liked it at the end of the shows when they all come forward to take a bow, Richie and Lorenza stand next to each other and go to hold hands then David comes in and stands between them seperating them, everytime! haha

She's pretty hot though. She can stay.

lmao! i bet richie hates him for that :p

Crushgen24/88 07-07-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superkid (Post 858062)
I saw the foo fighters open for Bob Dylan with there acoustic stuff. It was funny seeing Dave head bang to it:p. I didn't like springsteen's folk at all. He went good again with magic though. Iv'e seen him 3 times this tour.

I'm NOT talking about his folk stuff.
There's a violinist on this tour as well.
Same with the Foos.