Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Would you want richie on lead vocals of a bj song? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=16458)

JoltingJovian 09-10-2003 07:39 PM

Would you want richie on lead vocals of a bj song?

Do you think that Richie or even Dave should get a lead vocal in one of Bon Jovi's songs in the future..For me, one of mt favourite parts of the tour ( i went to manchester ) was richie singing I'll be there for you..It was a refreshing change and although jons voice is still there..richie can provide just as well and even better with the high notes. What do you think?
jj

SpainSambora 09-10-2003 07:41 PM

Of course, but I don´t know if Jon´s ego would let him

RichieW2001 09-10-2003 07:41 PM

as i've always said, if he started singing songs on the album, the novelty would soon wear off. plus jon is the singer!

Louciel 09-10-2003 07:44 PM

would be great
moreover it would help erasing this Bon Jovi=Jon Bon Jovi mistake from this earth :twisted:
:wink:

SpainSambora 09-10-2003 07:46 PM

All my friends know now the difference.

With a little help of all the jovitalkers...

JoltingJovian 09-10-2003 07:46 PM

Yeah true i dont think jon would be too happy about it, although..just one song..thats all..he more or less sings the whole songs anyway..just on a higher note..but wudn u like to see it just once?
jj

Santa_Fe 09-10-2003 07:52 PM

I don't give a sh*t if Richie or David sing a song. For as long as Jon writes/cowrites it.

Jag 09-10-2003 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa_Fe
I don't give a sh*t if Richie or David sing a song. For as long as Jon writes/cowrites it.

:?

spunkywho 09-10-2003 08:24 PM

I only want Jon to sing. I don't really care for Richie's voice. Sorry.

Becky 09-10-2003 08:26 PM

No. To me it would be a waste of space on the CD. I don't like Richie's voice and I don't want to hear him singing lead on a BON JOVI CD. If I wanted to hear Richie sing, I'd put on his solo CDs.

Becky

Mousebounce 09-10-2003 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
No. To me it would be a waste of space on the CD. I don't like Richie's voice and I don't want to hear him singing lead on a BON JOVI CD. If I wanted to hear Richie sing, I'd put on his solo CDs.

Becky

My thoughts exactly. Jon has been the lead for the last twenty years and it works. Don't mess with something that doesn't need fixing. :wink:

SpainSambora 09-10-2003 10:39 PM

He wouldn´t be the leader if Richie sing all songs. We only want one. One song.

Are you afraid of something? :P

Mousebounce 09-10-2003 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpainSambora

Nope, I just hate Richie's voice. :twisted: :D

Yvonne 09-10-2003 10:42 PM

Being a Richie fan, i'd have to say no i wouldnt want Richie singing on a BJ song/album. I'm quite happy for Richie to release his own albums and sing a song at a BJ show but BJ wouldnt be the same if anyone else sang lead vocals except JBJ. Just like BJ wouldnt be the same if Richie/Dave/Tico didnt play their individual part in the band.

Becky 09-10-2003 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
Quote:

Exactly. I just can't listen to it without cringing like someone is scraping their fingernails down a chalkboard. I find his voice very grating and annoying. He sings everything the same overbearing way. There's NOTHING to fear about it.... unless you listen to the end of You Are Not Alone with all the lights out after watching The Sixth Sense. LOL

BTW, Mouse, since you don't have that CD, the end of you are not alone goes like this: you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone....

Becky

Mousebounce 09-10-2003 10:49 PM

Quote:

BTW, Mouse, since you don't have that CD, the end of you are not alone goes like this: you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone....
Erk!!! I don't like the sound of it already. :twisted: I can't bring myself to buy his CD's. One hour of listening to him sing would drive me to drink.

Jag 09-10-2003 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. I just can't listen to it without cringing like someone is scraping their fingernails down a chalkboard. I find his voice very grating and annoying. He sings everything the same overbearing way. There's NOTHING to fear about it.... unless you listen to the end of You Are Not Alone with all the lights out after watching The Sixth Sense. LOL

Becky

for someone who seems a very nice person, u really do let rip on poor richie :roll: :P

Mousebounce 09-10-2003 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Becky

for someone who seems a very nice person, u really do let rip on poor richie :roll: :P

There is so much Jon bashing on this board, a little ribbing of Richie is a good thing. It evens things out! 8)

Freddie 09-10-2003 11:15 PM

Jon is the lead singer right? :wink:

Sambo-Chris 09-10-2003 11:20 PM

Becky, we know that you hate Richie's voice like hell. But comparing his voice to scraping fingernails down a chalkboard, I don't know what to say. This is more than outrageous. And about the "You are not alone" Is "sha la la, sha la la, sha la la, sha lala, sha lala ... " in I-don't-know-how-many songs on DA better?

I liked that Richie and David had the chance to sing this tour and I would have loved if Jon would kept his promise in Bremen to let Tico sing a song. Unfortunately he didn't.

Well, it happened that someone else than Jon sang on published CDs. On the bonus-CD of These days and on one single (Dry County?) and the bonus CD of Tokyo Road.

Jag 09-10-2003 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
Becky, we know that you hate Richie's voice like hell. But comparing his voice to scraping fingernails down a chalkboard, I don't know what to say. This is more than outrageous. And about the "You are not alone" Is "sha la la, sha la la, sha la la, sha lala, sha lala ... " in I-don't-know-how-many songs on DA better?

I liked that Richie and David had the chance to sing this tour and I would have loved if Jon would kept his promise in Bremen to let Tico sing a song. Unfortunately he didn't.

Well, it happened that someone else than Jon sang on published CDs. On the bonus-CD of These days and on one single (Dry County?) and the bonus CD of Tokyo Road.

i find all this richie-jon bashing silly really, and makes no sense to me either, life is too short to bash over petty things.

Miracle 09-11-2003 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Erk!!! I don't like the sound of it already. :twisted: I can't bring myself to buy his CD's. One hour of listening to him sing would drive me to drink.

LOL Mouse...that is too funny :lol:

Stephanie

ugly_queen_from_mars 09-11-2003 12:10 AM

i like jon's voice much better but i would like richie to sing one or two songs at concerts or on a studio album- why not...

SpainSambora 09-11-2003 12:15 AM

(the you´re not alone part is...pure CRAP)

But I´m remembering in these moments the originality of Jon "sky is a different blue" in 400 songs

Becky 09-11-2003 01:58 AM

Quote:

Becky, we know that you hate Richie's voice like hell. But comparing his voice to scraping fingernails down a chalkboard, I don't know what to say. This is more than outrageous.

You know how when someone scrapes their fingernails down the chalk board, it leaves you (or me anyway) with that icky feeling that goes all through you and makes you cringe and kind of shudder to shake that feeling out? Well, that's exactly what listeing to Richie sing often does to me. I just cringe when I hear his overbearing style. It literally causes an unpleasant physical reaction. I love the man dearly. I really do. But his voice is sooooo grating! I have tried and tried and tried to MAKE myself like his voice, but I can't do it!

Quote:

And about the "You are not alone" Is "sha la la, sha la la, sha la la, sha lala, sha lala ... " in I-don't-know-how-many songs on DA better?
It's much better. :P

Quote:

for someone who seems a very nice person, u really do let rip on poor richie
No. I don't rip on RICHIE. I rip on his VOICE. There's a difference. I don't bash the MAN. But I'm just as entitled to state my opinion of his voice as all those people who constantly bash Jon's singing. I constantly qualify my opinion of Richie's voice with, "I love him, but...."

Becky

Keba 09-11-2003 02:11 AM

To Becky and Sambo-Chris:
I really don't like the end of You are Not Alone. Nor do I like the Sha-la-la-la-sha-la-la in Midnight in Chelsea. Both songs scare me. OK, everybody's even now. :mrgreen:

As to having Richie sing lead, I think it's OK for him to do it in concerts. It added a nice twist to IBTFY. As with albums, I don't think he should because what would Jon do? I'd like Richie to have some solo vocals on songs (Open All Night and Something for the Pain were good starts). Maybe Jon could sing the first verse of the song and Richie could sing the second. That could be interesting.

jenn1189 09-11-2003 02:42 AM

I don't know that I would want Richie to sing a song on a Bon Jovi album. But, it may be OK. I like his solo stuff, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it. I would like to hear Richie have more backing vocals on albums again. I love Jon and I love Richie, but I love it best when they create their incredible harmonies (Wanted, IBTFY). That's one thing I think has been lacking on more recent albums. My fiance' even says that he wishes that Richie had more harmonies like he used to. I did enjoy hearing Richie sing IBTFY on the last tour though.

Beavoid 09-11-2003 03:31 AM

It is a treat for the concert-going audience and it shows the versatility of the band...they are not just their single intruments. Why the hell not have them do some surprises like dave doing his ITA and richie picking a tune or two?. not only is it a great marketing technique, but it shows the many different influences and ranges of these stage 'figures' and proves them to be artists rather than ONLY a production.

As an added advantage it probably lengthens the show considerably giving jon a 15 minute respite.

it is great for everyone, including people who don't appreciate the vocals (go have a drink or screw or something and appreciate the length of the show when you get back).

...unless you'd rather see an hour and a half show rather than a 2 and a half hour show.

know what I'm sayin'?

B
(but I could be biased because I danced with a beautiful woman during Richie's IBTFY...who knows...hey, just another reason why it's so good :))
Thanks Richie

Louciel 09-11-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keba
To Becky and Sambo-Chris:
I really don't like the end of You are Not Alone. Nor do I like the Sha-la-la-la-sha-la-la in Midnight in Chelsea. Both songs scare me. OK, everybody's even now. :mrgreen:

As to having Richie sing lead, I think it's OK for him to do it in concerts. It added a nice twist to IBTFY. As with albums, I don't think he should because what would Jon do? I'd like Richie to have some solo vocals on songs (Open All Night and Something for the Pain were good starts). Maybe Jon could sing the first verse of the song and Richie could sing the second. That could be interesting.

Keba, don't you want to become a diplomat? :D

Neurotica80 09-11-2003 12:53 PM

Quote:

Why do you wanna hear tico sing?? Hes doesnt even sing backing vocals. Thats like me saying for one show id like to see Jon play the drums, Dave the guitar, Richie keyboards and Tico singing!!! Its all very well for novelty value, like when he sang at a charity gig, but when i see a jovi show i wanna hear Jon singing lead vocals, with Richie taking over for one song.

Sambo-Chris 09-11-2003 12:56 PM

You probably never heard Tico sing. He has a phantastic voice. He sang for example during some Christmas shows, one song is published on the Bonus-CD of These Days. Listen to this song and you for sure would love to hear him sing.

Neurotica80 09-11-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

You probably never heard Tico sing. He has a phantastic voice. He sang for example during some Christmas shows, one song is published on the Bonus-CD of These Days. Listen to this song and you for sure would love to hear him sing.

Ive heard him sing crazy and im not convinced. So you'll have heard Dave doing "rolling dice" then?? I though he did a great job of covering that song, but i still wouldnt be keen on him taking over lead vocals, even for one song.

Becky 09-11-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Chris, write this down. We agree on something. :) Cool, huh? I LOVE to hear Tico sing.

Becky

Stephanie02 09-11-2003 04:57 PM

There is only one lead singer in the band and that is Jon. I wouldn't want anyone else to sing on the CD's, not even one song. It was great when Richie sang IBTFY but that is enough for me, I wouldn't want to hear him sing anymore.

kety 09-11-2003 08:28 PM

yes they should!!!

*-- Vallie --* 09-11-2003 08:39 PM

Bring on that song :d:d:d

SpainSambora 09-11-2003 08:42 PM

Quote:

Tico has a wonderful voice. "Crazy" is amazing. Or waltzing mathilda

SpainSambora 09-11-2003 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris, write this down. We agree on something. :) Cool, huh? I LOVE to hear Tico sing.

Becky

BECKY!!! :BIG:

sambora84 09-11-2003 09:52 PM

It was good to hear Richie sing on this tour and would love to hear him
again on the next. But as for on the CD, no, Jon is the lead singer and he
should be the only one singing on it.

Jag 09-11-2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

he sounds like a wolf!!! LOL

joke, it was good to hear him sing but not again for me thanks.

dave is great on vocals!

wot about huey?? :P