Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Does Bon Jovi Never Play 'Thank You For Loving Me' Anymore (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52449)

BJtruefan 01-06-2011 03:51 PM

Why Does Bon Jovi Never Play 'Thank You For Loving Me' Anymore

Since 2001 Bon Jovi never played this song anymore.
Does anybody know why?

Currently, this song is on the 4th position of the largest viewers Bon Jovi video in Youtube, with 14 millions viewers. Just top Always in 5th position, and only behind It's My Life, Prayer, and Bad Name.

And though some say that this song is similar to 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing' by Aerosmith, the later mention only got 4 millions viewers in Youtube.

With almost 80 songs Bon Jovi played in The Circle Tour, don't they want to give this song a chance.

No Bon Jovi fans love this song anymore....?
Will they bury this song forever..?

ticos_stick 01-06-2011 04:07 PM

It's possibly the most schmaltzy, sickly, formalistic rubbish the band have ever recorded.

I'm glad they don't play it any more.

Roxannah 01-06-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJtruefan (Post 1034555)
Will they bury this song forever..?

hopefully. i won't go as far as saying i can't stand it, but if i said i liked it, i'd be lying. part of the reason why Crush was on a shelf getting dusty for so many years. the lyrics are cheesy but quite alright, it's the melody i have a problem with. IDWTMAT is a good song, TYFLM isn't. that said, i'd be thrilled if they played this one instead of doing NA or WFTWM. just shows you how much i hate the last 2.

KeepTheFaith2211 01-06-2011 04:37 PM

It's cheesy and sickening. Which means it's a great ballad. Bring it back ffs. 'Crush' needs more attention. Play 'Next 100 Years' and 'Thank You For Loving Me' a couple of times a tour.

Jovimimi 01-06-2011 04:38 PM

some fans watch it on YT just because it's never played on TV that doesn't make it a very popular song just a video almost never aired on tv so fan watch it on YT that is not indicating the popularity THAT directly

I don't hate it but don't like it neither ... for me it is ok .. of course if she was performed at a show i am at I would think yes we got a rarity but it's way too cheesy for me

BJtruefan 01-06-2011 04:39 PM

Well, you may re-think about that.
Just watch Thank You For Loving Me live from Toronto, the only available pro-shot live performance of this song.
It's cheesy of course, as cheesy as Blood On Blood was said in its era.
But listen to how Jon sang it, and how the crowd loved it.

DryCounty 01-06-2011 04:55 PM

I love Thank You For Loving Me. Along with Make a Memory it's the best ballad of the 2000s ! Would be amazing to see Jon give it a try out on the circle. :o:D

SexxAtraxxion 01-06-2011 05:28 PM

It's as cheesy as any other BJ ballad, the best one since 2000.

It should be played again in concerts.

Best regards,
the Sexx

Javier 01-06-2011 05:35 PM

I've always liked this song, I wouldn't go as far as to say I love it, but it's really well written (maybe a bit too crafted) and still has an air of honesty about it that seems to be missing in most of Bon Jovi's post 2000 officially released ballads (with maybe the other exceptions being 'Open all night' and 'Make a Memory'....

ticos_stick 01-06-2011 06:31 PM

Have you all gone mad?

Best 2000+ ballad?

Good lyrics?

Thank you for loving me
For being my eyes when I couldn't see for
Parting my lips when I couldn't breathe
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

It's like a fuking boy band song, cliché rubbish.

That's why they don't play it any more.

Jovimimi 01-06-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1034570)
Have you all gone mad?

Best 2000+ ballad?

Good lyrics?

Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

I kinda agree I have to cringe reading it's cliche but that's why it's so good ... I am not sure to be from the same planet
the song is ok for me not as bad as Save the world but come on the best ballad of the 2000 that's a shocking vision ....well I don't think their ballads are much powerful and original since the 2000 to be honest ....

schlochty 01-06-2011 07:16 PM

I've always had a soft spot for this song. I'd love to hear it live. Jon should be able to pull it off easily these days. Play it!

Roxannah 01-06-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1034570)
Have you all gone mad?

Best 2000+ ballad?

Good lyrics?

Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me
Thank you for loving me

how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any cheesier than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

Jovimimi 01-06-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1034576)
how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any more cheesy than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

for me it is more cheesy more cliches Rosie but you are right though I'll be there for you is cheesy too .. the melody and the final result makes the difference ... the lyrics of the ballads have often been cliche material yes but the result is just cheap with TYFLM

Matrix15 01-06-2011 07:44 PM

Crush is ridiculously underplayed.

Capt Crash as a staple is ridiculous when you consider that TYFLM, TST, OWN and SIIS aren't played anymore.

ticos_stick 01-06-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1034576)
how many Jovi ballads can you find that aren't cheesy anyway? some are more, some are less, i actually think the cheese is what makes most ballads ballads in the first place. not all songs have to be focused on social criticism, faith, etc to be good songs, love is a very important part of people's lives, that's why it's a recurrent theme. and sometimes simple lyrics and a simple melody go a long way, they reach people because most feel identified with these lyrics one way or the other. now are the lyrics to this song a masterpiece? no. this song actually gets into my nerves and it stars with the title. the title alone makes go uurrgghhhh. but i don't think it's any cheesier than your average Jovi ballad, post or pre 2000.

I can handle cheese, but TYFLM is an uninspired, run of the mill ballad.

There are plenty of better ballads with superior song writing and poetic integrity before and since.

Becky 01-06-2011 11:52 PM

I don't miss it. I'd rather hear a rock song than a ballad during the show so if they were going to pick up something from Crush, I'd prefer Just Older or Next 100 Years. Make a Memory is my favorite live ballad. I'd rather hear it than Thank You any day.

Butters 01-07-2011 12:58 AM

I have a lot of love for this song, and it's one I keep hoping will end up in a setlist again.

snowmass 01-07-2011 01:14 AM

Couldn't you say the same thing about a dozen other songs?

ajf33 01-07-2011 03:02 AM

Thank you for loving me will always have a place on my Bon Jovi Playlist owing to the memories of it being the last song played at the old Wembley. Wouldnt say it's much worse than any other Jovi ballads of the 00's and would love to hear it every now and again.

Bounce7800 01-07-2011 04:54 PM

Would rather see Say It Isnt So back, but I do have a soft spot for the song- and it was released over here and did fairly well. The video got a fair bit of rotation too so it will be familiar to casual fans too.

I think the problem is that it wasnt the success Jon thought it would be- I remember staying up to stupid o'clock in a dodgy Internet Cafe in Barking in 2000 watching the webcast pre-Crush release, and when they played a bit of this song Jon talked of the possibility of getting awards for it, he seemed really impressed by it. Maybe the fact it was only a 3rd single and not the huge smash may go some way to explain why.

But, it definitely deserves to be dusted off occasionally- certainly instead of Crash, along with SIIS and Next 100 Years for starters.

Makedde 01-08-2011 08:08 AM

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. It's not my fave ballad, and the lyrics ARE cheesy. MAM is a lot better, IMO.

Captain Walrus 01-09-2011 02:23 AM

I like TYFLM, but I can't imagine it'd be that amazing live? I probably should check youtube before I make such statments, as I've never seen a live performance of it, but I can't imagine it to have as much power as Always, Bed Of Roses, I'll Be There For You, This Ain't A Love Song or Livin In Sin

Simon 01-09-2011 08:01 PM

I do like it... within the concept of "Crush". It's as cheesy as hell, and very simplistic, sounds really like a formula-BJ-ballad... BUT it works. It has some good energy and I love to blast it out loud. :-) Still, there are other ballads that should get played.

"Thank Ypu" should've been played more often on the 2000 tour, but probably the band was disappointed by its failures in the charts? What shouldn't keep them from playing it, anyway. Often a concert is an ear-opener for people, when they change their mind about a song when they hear it live. Different story though.

I agree that Crush is underplayed. Bring back "Just Older", and "One Wild Night" ffs!!!

kety 01-11-2011 08:02 PM

Almost all ballads are cheesy :D
I like Thank You For Lovin Me a lot, because of tha song I am Bon Jovi fan. I would love to hear it live :)

Walkerboy 01-11-2011 08:59 PM

We had it as we walked down the aisle after our wedding.....
Cheesy as hell!

Savvi 01-12-2011 02:59 AM

I do like it as well. I always have. Yes its cheesy but I really like the musical arrangement. It is in my top 5 post 2000 ballads, along with ST, WWWB, MAM and IWTBL.

Elvistico 01-12-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajf33 (Post 1034622)
Thank you for loving me will always have a place on my Bon Jovi Playlist owing to the memories of it being the last song played at the old Wembley. Wouldnt say it's much worse than any other Jovi ballads of the 00's and would love to hear it every now and again.

The song being played as a closing song in old wembley doesn't make the song better. It just enhances your strong feelings about the song cause you attach it to a great moment in your life.

That said, the best +2000 ballad imo is Make a Memory.
It sounds real & inspired to me. TYFLM is a song i don't like too much. For me it's so 1 - dimensional ... can't stand up next to earlier treasures like BOR, Always, This ain't a love song, Lie to me.

It's all personal and judging songs isn't rocket science but I tend to skip song n° 3 of Crush

Adam D 01-14-2011 07:21 AM

IMO, anyone who finds this to be more cheesy than All About Loving You is out of their mind. Compared to AALY, Thank You is pure genius.

Sami 01-14-2011 12:18 PM

I remember how Jon seemed to believe in that song by the time Crush was released. He said the song was going to be the billion dollar ballad everybody had been waiting for. I think Jon lost his interest in the song once it failed to fulfill his expectations.

They played it in Helsinki in 2000 as an encore. That´s the only time I´ve heard it live. For me, there are better BJ ballads, before it and after it.

TwinFan 01-14-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1035110)
I do like it as well. I always have. Yes its cheesy but I really like the musical arrangement. It is in my top 5 post 2000 ballads, along with ST, WWWB, MAM and IWTBL.

That's not saying much, really. Make a Memory is my favorite post 2000 ballad by far, I've got a soft spot for Save the World, maybe WDYG is up there, but the others I just can't get into. Also, I wouldn't really consider WWWB as a ballad, and especially not IWTBL.

_SeBasTiAn_BaCh- 01-16-2011 04:58 AM

Here's a nice performance of the song:
I like this tune, here in Brazil it got a lot of airplay at the time... I would dare to say it was the last videoclip that got relevant air play around here... close tie with Misunderstood. I consider It as a hit.

Why staple Capt Crash and not play this tune every once in a while?
I always wondered why BJ drops most of their chosen singles after the end of each tour, for instance:
This Aint a Love song, Say It Isnt So, Thank You, Everyday, Misunderstood, All About Lovin You, Memory, ... tour ends, singles are not played next tours.

Thunderstrucker 01-21-2011 09:26 AM

I'm glad they dont play that crapsong anymore. On the other hand it would be a good song to get a drink at the bar.

I salute you,
TS

JohnnieWalker 01-21-2011 03:20 PM

I don't get why it isn't good because it's cheesy and a bit cliché? Always is FAR more cliché and cheesy, but still, it considered as one of the best ballads ever written.
I'd love to hear TYFLM live.

Thunderstrucker 01-21-2011 05:28 PM

As if you can compare the 2 songs. Always has by far better lyrics, better build up and an awesome solo in it. TYFLM would be just a filler with a dead crowd.

I salute you,
TS

linnea.cfc32_jovibandana 01-28-2011 12:27 PM

Crush is a nice album and some of the songs on it are fantastic, would love to hear next 100 years, two story town or just older, rather than TYFLM. As for ballads go, it's not their worst 2000+ ballad, definitely not. Theres a handful of more cringey ones from the last decade, but I still don't really listen to it anymore..for a reason I guess.

BonJovisJeweler 03-01-2024 06:02 PM

They didn't do this in concert very often because it was hard on Jons voice. You wouldn't think so, but there's a lot of singers who won't sing certain songs constantly in their live shows because of the strain on their voice. Hope that helps a little. I for one like this song, and sang this to my wife on our wedding day.

Roll 03-06-2024 05:38 PM

Wow, that's some kind of unburying a topic.

Apart from the fact that I think the song's a bad one, it's funny to notice that 13 years ago TYFLM was 1 spot ahead of Always (14 M for TYFLM vs I don't know how much for Always) whereas now Always will hit quite soon 1 billion views vs only 15 M for TYFLM :D

steel_horse75 03-06-2024 06:52 PM

nope. the songs rubbish thsts why

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

LeaJovi 04-02-2024 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJtruefan (Post 1034561)
Well, you may re-think about that.
Just watch Thank You For Loving Me live from Toronto, the only available pro-shot live performance of this song.
It's cheesy of course, as cheesy as Blood On Blood was said in its era.
But listen to how Jon sang it, and how the crowd loved it.

God damn the band used to sound so good. :puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog: :puppydog::puppydog::puppydog: