Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Opeth doing Wanted (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53641)

DevilsSon 11-15-2011 12:13 AM

Opeth doing Wanted

http://www.metal4all.com/opeth-cover...orlando-video/

Hah! Opeth is a progressive metal band that is very highly regarded by critics and metalheads alike. Seen them live a couple of years ago at an arts festival and they were very very good. Anyway - this is hiarious. Clearly taking the piss - but the crowd seems to know the lyrics, between all the laughing, which is quite funny.

DevilsSon 11-15-2011 12:17 AM

"He's not so ****in' wanted anymore is he?" :D muaahahahhaa! Brilliant. BRILLIANT!

Supersonic 11-15-2011 03:02 AM

Aloha !

Wow, a band that plays Wanted as a joke to emphasize how much cooler they are than the band they're covering, yet in doing so it'd make a crowd react in America simply because they've had their first serious succes there in 18 years. It'd be like Jon taking the piss out of The Final Countdown when playing in Sweden. How incredibly original, really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076688)
"He's not so ****in' wanted anymore is he?" :D muaahahahhaa! Brilliant. BRILLIANT!

How is that brilliant really when Jon's the one playing in front of 30.000 people and had succes after 3 years while Opeth only had theirs after 18. Really, how is that brilliant?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

DevilsSon 11-15-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1076692)
Aloha !

Wow, a band that plays Wanted as a joke to emphasize how much cooler they are than the band they're covering, yet in doing so it'd make a crowd react in America simply because they've had their first serious succes there in 18 years. It'd be like Jon taking the piss out of The Final Countdown when playing in Sweden. How incredibly original, really.

I think it's a bit more like Jovi doing Scorpions in Munich. There was a little bit of taking the piss there but in the end it was still paying tribute to them. Akerfeldt played an acoustic versions of Wanted before saying he loves that song so it cant have all been to "emphasize how much cooler they are".

Quote:

How is that brilliant really when Jon's the one playing in front of 30.000 people and had succes after 3 years while Opeth only had theirs after 18. Really, how is that brilliant?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Supersonic going all fanboy and stuff! You are comparing a Swedish progressive experimental death metal band with a commercial pop-rock band from the States. Opeth regularly cracks the US Top 20. Considering what music they play, that is pretty damn incredible. Such comparisons are completely inappropriate anyhow. Again, in my mind, his comment had more to do with Jovi's attitude rather than the band's popularity. And I doubt anyone would disagree with that. However, that's just my interpretation - that's why I found the comment brilliant. Hope that made it clearer.

Supersonic 11-15-2011 07:33 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076696)
I think it's a bit more like Jovi doing Scorpions in Munich. There was a little bit of taking the piss there but in the end it was still paying tribute to them. Akerfeldt played an acoustic versions of Wanted before saying he loves that song so it cant have all been to "emphasize how much cooler they are".

Erm, not really. Scorpions and Bon Jovi are in the same genre, thus I don't see how it'd be similar to Opeth covering Bon Jovi, a band that is seen as a joke by many, especially the people fan of music in the same genre as Opeth. If he'd have done it seriously he wouldn't have showed off as much and wouldn't have done it with all the laughing etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076696)
You are comparing a Swedish progressive experimental death metal band with a commercial pop-rock band from the States. Opeth regularly cracks the US Top 20. Considering what music they play, that is pretty damn incredible. Such comparisons are completely inappropriate anyhow. Again, in my mind, his comment had more to do with Jovi's attitude rather than the band's popularity. And I doubt anyone would disagree with that. However, that's just my interpretation - that's why I found the comment brilliant. Hope that made it clearer.

I'm not sure what US Top 20 you're talking about but they're not regularly cracking the US Top 20, unless you're talking about the less important charts as Rock Album charts etc. And what does Jon's attitude have got to do anything with "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" You've not made it any clearer at all, I reckon it's your interpretation of his comment thus giving you more fuel to the "Ha Opeth agrees with me their awesome droool omg" instead of just taking something for what it is.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Crushgen24/88 11-15-2011 08:02 PM

I have a friend whose a huge Opeth fan, and through him I've heard that Akerfeldt loves WDOA as song, and has said so many times, for whatever that's worth to this discussion.

Crushgen24/88 11-15-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've watched the video like 4-5 times now and I can't hear this from Mike or the audience. When is it?

DevilsSon 11-15-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1076706)
Aloha !

Erm, not really. Scorpions and Bon Jovi are in the same genre, thus I don't see how it'd be similar to Opeth covering Bon Jovi, a band that is seen as a joke by many, especially the people fan of music in the same genre as Opeth. If he'd have done it seriously he wouldn't have showed off as much and wouldn't have done it with all the laughing etc.

You just speak words for the sake of speaking them. How does what you just wrote make any sense? Who cares if it's the same genre (not to mention that Jovi and the Scorps are only similar in terms of their ballads)? And the Scorpions are THE UNCOOLEST band in Germany anyway. In Munich - Jon laughs, makes stupid comments about 1984 being long gone and stupidly imitates Klaus Meine's stage movements. That looked to me like banter - which it was. That doesn't mean he doesn't like the Scorpions.

Quote:

I'm not sure what US Top 20 you're talking about but they're not regularly cracking the US Top 20, unless you're talking about the less important charts as Rock Album charts etc.
As far as I am aware, their last 3 records all made it to the top 20 Billboard 200 and even topped the US rock charts. Not to mention that they are HUGE in Germany and most of Europe. Heritage topped the UK rock charts and was definitely top 10 in Germany just as an example. Whichever way you put it, they are a massively popular band considering their musical genre and your whole point earlier made absolutely no sense.

I'd also add that they've probably been one of the most influential metal bands of the late 90s and the 00s.

Quote:

And what does Jon's attitude have got to do anything with "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" You've not made it any clearer at all, I reckon it's your interpretation of his comment thus giving you more fuel to the "Ha Opeth agrees with me their awesome droool omg" instead of just taking something for what it is.
Wanted Dead or Alive is a song about the attitude of a rockstar. There are a million interviews out there, fanboy, in which Jon Bon talks about how they ride into towns and take the money and women with them. Saying "he's not so ****in' wanted anymore" probably means that Jon Bon is not that cowboy anymore (but prefers baking pancakes for the homeless and stuff). Or do you honestly think that somebody leading one of Europe's most popular metal bands wouldn't have read that Jovi's tour was the biggest of the year? Then again, I'm asking you this question. You might well say "Yes- he missed that one!"

DevilsSon 11-15-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1076708)
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've watched the video like 4-5 times now and I can't hear this from Mike or the audience. When is it?

It's in a different clip that pops up on youtube.

danfan 11-17-2011 03:17 PM

Never heard of Opeth.

danfan 11-17-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Yet he's playing at a club that holds less than 1,000 people while Bon Jovi performs at stadiums that hold 50,000.

Hardly what I would call brilliant.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but from what I can see, they've had 1 album in the US that peaked at #23, and that's all.

Crushgen24/88 11-17-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1076745)
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but from what I can see, they've had 1 album in the US that peaked at #23, and that's all.

They've had 2 Top 25's on the normal Billboard charts, their last record peaked at #19.
Anyway, I honestly don't think this is supposed to be an insulting gesture. The guy seems to genuinely like WDOA as a song, and it seems to go over well at their live shows.

danfan 11-18-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1076764)
Anyway, I honestly don't think this is supposed to be an insulting gesture. The guy seems to genuinely like WDOA as a song, and it seems to go over well at their live shows.

As has been said, he may like the song, but he's just trying to come off as cool by bashing a band that it's "cool" to bash. Lame.

sambos apprentice 11-18-2011 03:28 PM

Jon also said in Munich that the only band he'd never let open for Jovi would be the Scorpions because quote en quote "they'd kick our ass"

Supersonic 11-18-2011 04:10 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076715)
You just speak words for the sake of speaking them. How does what you just wrote make any sense? Who cares if it's the same genre (not to mention that Jovi and the Scorps are only similar in terms of their ballads)? And the Scorpions are THE UNCOOLEST band in Germany anyway. In Munich - Jon laughs, makes stupid comments about 1984 being long gone and stupidly imitates Klaus Meine's stage movements. That looked to me like banter - which it was. That doesn't mean he doesn't like the Scorpions.

You're making things up here in order to create your own truth, more on that later though. The fact that Bon Jovi does a Scorpions song is different than Opeth doing Bon Jovi, exactly because Bon Jovi do something by an act seen as one who are doing the same music Bon Jovi does, just on a less popular level. Opeth playing a Bon Jovi song is different because both artists in the genre Opeth plays and fans of such genre usually see Bon Jovi as a joke, therefore playing a song of such band is taking the easy way out of amusing your audience, especially one that is rather new to your music when just gaining popularity on the level Opeth is having right now. Jon never said a negative word about Scorpions, neither saying anything negative about the eighties being long gone. If one thing Jon did was being extremely positive about the Scorpions, so no, Jon didn't take the piss out of them in the same way Opeth does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076715)
As far as I am aware, their last 3 records all made it to the top 20 Billboard 200 and even topped the US rock charts.

You can be aware of things all you want, but you're just dead wrong. None of their albums made it to the top 20 of the Billboard 200, and no Brian (not a dig at you) their last one didn't either but peaked indeed at 23, just like Danfan said. And that album made it to number 9 in the Billboard Rock Album chart, which is about it when it comes to Opeth. So you bigging them up as if they're insanely popular and have a right to speak when it comes to comparing them to Bon Jovi's popularity makes no sense at all. Therefore the initial "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" comment is bullshit, no matter what way you'll look at it.

Quote:

Not to mention that they are HUGE in Germany and most of Europe. Heritage topped the UK rock charts and was definitely top 10 in Germany just as an example. Whichever way you put it, they are a massively popular band considering their musical genre and your whole point earlier made absolutely no sense.
That's all very nice, but I'm not talking about their popularity in Germany or the UK, neither does this stand into relation with what I said. I never said they weren't popular, I never said they weren't massively popular considering their music genre, all I said as they are far from as popular as Bon Jovi are, you then bring in all sorts of other things in order to try to prove a point here, but all of them can be thrown away as you're comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:

Wanted Dead or Alive is a song about the attitude of a rockstar. There are a million interviews out there, fanboy, in which Jon Bon talks about how they ride into towns and take the money and women with them. Saying "he's not so ****in' wanted anymore" probably means that Jon Bon is not that cowboy anymore (but prefers baking pancakes for the homeless and stuff). Or do you honestly think that somebody leading one of Europe's most popular metal bands wouldn't have read that Jovi's tour was the biggest of the year? Then again, I'm asking you this question. You might well say "Yes- he missed that one!"
You are hereby saying that when making the comment of "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" the singer of Opeth was analyzing Wanted on stage there, and seriously thought of Jon not being the cowboy anymore now. And after doing so, he thought of questioning the audience whether he was right, and as the audience cheered they'd just analyzed Wanted the same way he did, because they were obviously on the same intellectual level at the singer, right at that time. If you honestly thing that's what he meant with that comment you're deluded.

He's not giving some psychology lesson there when playing Wanted. He might think Wanted is a great song, but presenting it like that is for easy admiration and is on the same level as Jon bragging about how many millions of years they're still together now. Both are in order to get a cheer from the audience but where Jon does it over his own back, Opeth apparantly needs to do it by taking the piss out of an easy target like Bon Jovi does. And that's my initial point.

You seem to be incapable of discussing music here without bringing in irrelevant information on the table, especially irrelevant information that's incorrect. Whether Jon bakes pancakes for the homeless, whether Opeth has had 3 number 1 albums somewhere in the Ukraine isn't what this is about, I questioned how his comment is brilliant, and you bring in all sorts of things that've got nothing to do with it. The bottom line is his comment didn't make any sense, and I still wonder why you think it's brilliant considering I just brought up facts on the table that prove that you were wrong. Prove me right.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

ticos_stick 11-18-2011 05:26 PM

What a shit cover.

Crushgen24/88 11-18-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1076772)
You can be aware of things all you want, but you're just dead wrong. None of their albums made it to the top 20 of the Billboard 200, and no Brian (not a dig at you) their last one didn't either but peaked indeed at 23, just like Danfan said.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=163886

Watershed peaked at #23 in 2008, Heritage peaked at #19 in September of this year.

dcj28 11-19-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1076687)
http://www.metal4all.com/opeth-cover...orlando-video/

Anyway - this is hiarious. Clearly taking the piss - but the crowd seems to know the lyrics, between all the laughing, which is quite funny.

Laugh????? I never started. If thats hilarious it just proves prog rock/metal fans need to get out more. Am i missing some of the video?:confused:

DevilsSon 11-21-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1076772)

You're making things up here in order to create your own truth, more on that later though.

Once again, what exactly did I make up, Supersonic? Could you list it out please? Everyone here knows you have that habit, that doesn't mean that everyone's "slightly deranged" - to quote one of your closer friends.

Quote:

The fact that Bon Jovi does a Scorpions song is different than Opeth doing Bon Jovi, exactly because Bon Jovi do something by an act seen as one who are doing the same music Bon Jovi does, just on a less popular level. Opeth playing a Bon Jovi song is different because both artists in the genre Opeth plays and fans of such genre usually see Bon Jovi as a joke, therefore playing a song of such band is taking the easy way out of amusing your audience, especially one that is rather new to your music when just gaining popularity on the level Opeth is having right now. Jon never said a negative word about Scorpions, neither saying anything negative about the eighties being long gone. If one thing Jon did was being extremely positive about the Scorpions, so no, Jon didn't take the piss out of them in the same way Opeth does.
And how exactly are Opeth negative there? I don't quite see it. "He's not so ****in wanted anymore"? By that? Do you see what he continues with? Asking the audience why they never sing the lyrics to their songs like that - for example. Just because you interpret all kinds of meanings to the simple gesture of playing a song is really amusing actually. I mean, Opeth do Whitesnake covers, Van Halen covers, Aerosmith, even Scorpions, the whole 80s palette. Yes, they always take the piss a little bit - but not in a "let's trash these posers" type way like other bands would. More in the same way that Jon Bon takes the piss at the Scorpions in Munich. And the fact that you don't see it, just proves you don't want to see it. Or that you are stupid. Or maybe both.

Quote:

You can be aware of things all you want, but you're just dead wrong. None of their albums made it to the top 20 of the Billboard 200, and no Brian (not a dig at you) their last one didn't either but peaked indeed at 23, just like Danfan said. And that album made it to number 9 in the Billboard Rock Album chart, which is about it when it comes to Opeth. So you bigging them up as if they're insanely popular and have a right to speak when it comes to comparing them to Bon Jovi's popularity makes no sense at all. Therefore the initial "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" comment is bullshit, no matter what way you'll look at it.
Making all kind of irrelevant statements again. I almost forgot what a hypocrite you were, I guess it's good coming back to these forum every now and again. As Crushgen put it, Heritage peaked at #19. Whatever you may call it - it's INSANE for a band that is active in that music genre that Opeth is in. But that wasn't even my point. Did you even read what I wrote in the first place (more to that in a bit!)

And of course they have a right to speak when it's about Bon Jovi. What sort of moronic statement is that? According to you, there's maybe 5 bands in the world currently that could make comments about Bon Jovi. Opeth can say whatever they want and it does make sense regardless of whatever context of big or small band you put it in.

Quote:

That's all very nice, but I'm not talking about their popularity in Germany or the UK, neither does this stand into relation with what I said. I never said they weren't popular, I never said they weren't massively popular considering their music genre, all I said as they are far from as popular as Bon Jovi are, you then bring in all sorts of other things in order to try to prove a point here, but all of them can be thrown away as you're comparing apples to oranges.
Supersonic, you are clearly struggling to understand what other people say. Not to mention that I express myself in a very straight-forward way so that only makes me question your IQ even more. Once again, for the "slightly deranged":

1- Opeth are an incredibly popular band for what they are, be it in America or Europe or anywhere. No question asked. The only reason the popularity point was raised was to make the statement that it's rather unlikely that the frontman of Opeth would ever be envious of Jon Bon's success. Clear now?

2- Nobody cares how popular they are anyway. They can say about Bon Jovi whatever they want. Anyone can. I can. And I mean - even you can, like....if even you can, surely Akerfeldt can.

And just because you seem to have this "Prove me wrong" obsessions for whatever reason - here is the first point I have made in this discussion:

"You are comparing a Swedish progressive experimental death metal band with a commercial pop-rock band from the States. Opeth regularly cracks the US Top 20. Considering what music they play, that is pretty damn incredible. Such comparisons are completely inappropriate anyhow."

Hope that makes you feel a lot better.

Quote:

You are hereby saying that when making the comment of "He's not so wanted anymore now, is he?" the singer of Opeth was analyzing Wanted on stage there, and seriously thought of Jon not being the cowboy anymore now. And after doing so, he thought of questioning the audience whether he was right, and as the audience cheered they'd just analyzed Wanted the same way he did, because they were obviously on the same intellectual level at the singer, right at that time. If you honestly thing that's what he meant with that comment you're deluded.

He's not giving some psychology lesson there when playing Wanted. He might think Wanted is a great song, but presenting it like that is for easy admiration and is on the same level as Jon bragging about how many millions of years they're still together now. Both are in order to get a cheer from the audience but where Jon does it over his own back, Opeth apparantly needs to do it by taking the piss out of an easy target like Bon Jovi does. And that's my initial point.

There's a VH1 "Least metal moments" show where Scott Ian of Anthrax says that Bon Jovi lost "the metal" when Jon Bon Jovi started waxing his chest. That's the type of comment I think Akerfeldt made too. The extent to which you extrapolate it just makes you look slightly odd. And you also get really adamant about it. Oh oh. Not so good.

Ok, let's assume for a second your incoherent set of bullshit ideas (that you somehow manage to link together although they have nothing to do with each other) is right. According to you, Akerfeldt's statement is :"He's not so popular anymore, is he!". Honestly Supersonic, you know yourself that you are struggling with lots of little things in life, but there's no need to just point out to everyone on this forum that your brain has less horsepower than that of a chicken.

Quote:

You seem to be incapable of discussing music here without bringing in irrelevant information on the table, especially irrelevant information that's incorrect. Whether Jon bakes pancakes for the homeless, whether Opeth has had 3 number 1 albums somewhere in the Ukraine isn't what this is about, I questioned how his comment is brilliant, and you bring in all sorts of things that've got nothing to do with it. The bottom line is his comment didn't make any sense, and I still wonder why you think it's brilliant considering I just brought up facts on the table that prove that you were wrong.
Supersonic - my statement of a comment being brilliant is just that. It's a personal matter of taste. Now maybe my sense of humour is slightly weird or who knows what. But your statement of "bringing facts to the table" just cracked me up. Now that is quality humour! Hear hear, facts to the table :D. Like the fact that I am making up stuff, or what exactly was it? Don't be more ridiculous than you usually are, Supersonic - rather go back and cry to Thierry how you hate my guts or do something useful with your time. Ohh wait - that's probably the most useful thing you do.

Quote:

Prove me right.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
That will be very difficult. Even if I tried really really hard, I doubt I could ever prove you were right. So you won that one. Respect!

Haja 11-22-2011 02:11 PM

^You went a bit wild at the end but damn.. that was golden. :D