Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   So.. does anyone think Richie's return is STILL possible ? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68877)

TheseDaysEra 01-17-2015 02:36 AM

So.. does anyone think Richie's return is STILL possible ?

After all the fuss, media frenzy shit, Orianthi, 'He quit, he's gone, being in a band doesn't have to be a life sentence ' / 'I'd be hard pressed to let him in ' yada yada yada bullshit..

D'you think there would be a point in time where Richie would call Jon and say 'Hey man, what's up ?' and somehow that conversation would lead to Bon Jovi 'reforming' ? I can't see Jon mellowing out, put all the business shit and grudges away and simply let him in... conversely, I don't see Richie attempting to get back anyways - which pretty much settles it, right ?

He did took out the 'Bon Jovi consiglieri ' bit off his twitter. BUT.... Aren't we, as fans entitled to an official statement from the band ? If Jon hadn't been asked about Richie recently by some random journalist, we'd still be here thinking he could be back.

I honestly don't care whose fault it is. I think the band as an organization is showing a tremendous lack of respect for the millions of fans out there by not saying something in an official manner.

Guess some of you here are right when you say Jon feels like Bon Jovi is a bit like Springsteen and he can make 'minor' changes in the band and not telling anyone about it - oh wait a minute... Springsteen people DO tell their fans when, say, Steve Van Zandt is absent from a tour. But here's where this theory contradicts itself... if Jon sees himself as a solo act, why does he mention Tico and David when he says there was no way he was gonna break up the band ?

Alphavictim 01-17-2015 04:26 AM

Richie would need to take a huge ego blow and come back to JBJ/BJ the band with a ton of apologies. I'm not sure he's even gonna admit to his new album failing, if it should. But IMO it would be absolutely mandatory for Richie to learn to appreciate the impact BJ gave him as a musician.

Becky 01-17-2015 04:50 AM

I don't see it happening and, I guess the sad part is, I honestly don't even care anymore. As long as Jon keeps making music, whether it's with the what's left of the band, or on his own, I'll be content (not overjoyed, content).

Touring is very rough on them physically, especially Jon and Tico, so I wouldn't be surprised if the big world wide tour days are over. They can go out having had the top tour for 3 years in recent history and being one of only 5 acts that have brought in over a billion dollars in touring revenue. They don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore.

DryCounty 01-17-2015 05:11 AM

There will be at least one more tour. Bon Jovi is just to big, there's a to big check waiting for them to not put aside their problems for once. It may not happen for a while, but when Richie is over with his "independent rockstar"-thing they will tour. Richie's ego is to big to not play another stadium show again, and no matter if Richie's been a dick in many ways, his history together with Jon speaks for itself, and honestly I think Jon wants Richie there, no matter how good Phil X is.

One of my favorite Richie quotes is when he talked about the "breakup" between New Jersey and KTF in Behind the Music.

"Even if someone says, the band's broken up, it'll be back. Because it was just to big, it was to good."

JackieBlue 01-17-2015 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1184721)
Richie would need to take a huge ego blow and come back to JBJ/BJ the band with a ton of apologies. I'm not sure he's even gonna admit to his new album failing, if it should. But IMO it would be absolutely mandatory for Richie to learn to appreciate the impact BJ gave him as a musician.

In one interview, Richie said that if he were to come back to the band, things would have to be different. So he may not be the only one who needs to apologize. And there may also need to be some recognition of the impact he's had on BJ, as well.

I honestly haven't seen where he has denied or diminished the impact Bon Jovi has had on him or his musicianship. All I've heard him say is that it's a sweet gig and that he'd be a real asshole if he didn't appreciate the opportunities he's had as a result of being in Bon Jovi. Just because some of the fans insist on inferring from his statements that he claims sole credit for writing the songs (which he never said nor implied) and extrapolating that to mean he thinks he made the band doesn't mean that Richie feels that way or that he hasn't appreciated being a part of the band.

I'm not saying you're wrong in what you say here, because we don't know the ins and outs of what led to Richie leaving; but I think it's more of a two-way street than has been presented. And for them to reunite for anything more than a one-off cash-grab, there may have to be some apologies, forgiveness, and concessions all around.

I keep seeing more and more similarities to the "hiatus" after the Jersey Syndicate tour, with the notable exception, of course, being the way this one played out in public. It's my understanding that Jon is the one who approached Richie after that one; so I guess who approaches whom 'with hat in hand' will depend on what led to the split to begin with and who most wants to see the band reunited - if any of them do. JMO

DestinationJovi 01-17-2015 06:25 AM

After watching guys' reaction to Masa's second question/comment about Richie's guitar playing on TC and then Richie's subsequent answer about how fun it was to make the album, it's truly hard to believe what has become of the band one album/tour later. http://youtu.be/Cr45abOsgSE

I've said it before but if Jon hadn't pushed WAN/BWC to happen so soon, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And to add insult to injury, in all likelihood that shit album will be the last in the band's catalog.

danfan 01-17-2015 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1184722)
Touring is very rough on them physically, especially Jon and Tico, so I wouldn't be surprised if the big world wide tour days are over.

Pish-posh.

Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, U2, Def Leppard, just to name a few. If they want to keep doing it, they can. I just don't see the desire anymore.

Personally, I have no desire to see the band continue without Richie. None.

danfan 01-17-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1184723)
There will be at least one more tour. Bon Jovi is just to big, there's a to big check waiting for them to not put aside their problems for once. It may not happen for a while, but when Richie is over with his "independent rockstar"-thing they will tour. Richie's ego is to big to not play another stadium show again, and no matter if Richie's been a dick in many ways, his history together with Jon speaks for itself, and honestly I think Jon wants Richie there, no matter how good Phil X is.

One of my favorite Richie quotes is when he talked about the "breakup" between New Jersey and KTF in Behind the Music.

"Even if someone says, the band's broken up, it'll be back. Because it was just to big, it was to good."

Different times. That was 15 years ago now and there weren't the hard feelings there are now. Jon was revitalized and making at least somewhat decent music and sounding OK live. Not the case anymore.

SuperBrad 01-17-2015 06:55 AM

No way Richie will go back ....:(

JackieBlue 01-17-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1184727)
Different times. That was 15 years ago now and there weren't the hard feelings there are now...

I guess by '15 years ago' you mean when Richie actually made the comment, and I assume attitudes in the band were okay then, since they were working together to make the documentary.

But his statement referred to the time period between NJ and KTF; and according to all accounts I've seen, feelings in the band at that time were pretty bitter - especially between Jon and Richie. Even in their understated 'no dirty laundry' way, the band has acknowledged that there were issues to be worked through. In his book about Axl, Mick Wall referred to "the almost insurmountable rift between Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi" that they needed Lou Cox's help to resolve. So I'm not sure that the split between NJ and KTF wasn't even more acrimonious than the one happening now. It just wasn't as public.

The good news in that, though, is that they got past that hurdle and if they choose to, they'll get over this one, too. And I would think that the only way they would make that choice is if they really want to - which might mean we'd see some real band effort and creativity. Otherwise I don't think they'll bother.

I agree with Destination Jovi, they really needed a break. They have that now; and I think if they do get together again it will be because they have the desire to make music - not just more money.

DevilsSon 01-17-2015 03:31 PM

Of course there will be some form of reunion, are you kiddin' me?!? The whole thing isn't even one year old. Give it another one max two years and suddenly (well, not suddenly!) it will look very very likely.

Johny 01-17-2015 04:18 PM

I don't want them to say anything oficially. Because if they come back a few years later with Richie, they can say that he has solved his personal issues. If they released an oficial statement that he his out, it might have bad consequences.

I wish they all did their personal stuff whatever this might be and come back hungry in 2017. We all would be happy to have them back even though given their age, the quality of their performance would suffer a bit more.

I keep on repeating it, if Jon hadn't pushed WAN and made everyone participate, we wouldn't have this situation now. 2013 is the worst year in their history with 2014 coming second.

IML88 01-17-2015 04:24 PM

Without a doubt. We're just going through the break that should have happened instead of Jon insisting on WAN. Once they have rested and spent enough time doing what they want to do as individuals, i'm sure there will be an album and tour.

I'd imagine we'll see a couple more sporadic tours over the next decade before they call it quits as Bon Jovi. Their problem is these songs will look strange coming from a band of 70 year olds. I think that will force the retirement of the band more than anything.

As far as statements, sure it would have been the decent thing to do. But we all know why Richie left, he wanted this break they are on, earlier. Jon forced WAN and the tour , Richie started the tour, realised he really wasnt motivated enough to spend another portion of his life touring the world again behind a lazy and forced album, so bailed.

Give it two years or so, Jon will have the record label and promoters pushing for them to make a comeback, he'll call Richie (who'll need the cash) and boom, Bon Jovi will be back.

JackieBlue 01-17-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra (Post 1184720)
... I think the band as an organization is showing a tremendous lack of respect for the millions of fans out there by not saying something in an official manner...

I don't think it's disrespect. I think they don't know what's going to happen yet, so they're leaving the door open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra (Post 1184720)
... if Jon sees himself as a solo act, why does he mention Tico and David when he says there was no way he was gonna break up the band ?

Several potential reasons: It gives the impression that decisions are made as a band, promotes the brotherhood image, reinforces the idea that this is Richie vs. the band and that everyone else was on board with the tour, and avoids taking sole responsibility for what might have been seen as an unpopular decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1184744)
Of course there will be some form of reunion, are you kiddin' me?!? The whole thing isn't even one year old. Give it another one max two years and suddenly (well, not suddenly!) it will look very very likely.

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1184746)
I don't want them to say anything oficially. Because if they come back a few years later with Richie, they can say that he has solved his personal issues. If they released an oficial statement that he his out, it might have bad consequences ...

I agree. I think that's exactly why they left it open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IML88 (Post 1184747)
Without a doubt. We're just going through the break that should have happened instead of Jon insisting on WAN. Once they have rested and spent enough time doing what they want to do as individuals, i'm sure there will be an album and tour.

I think so, too. Barring any unforeseen tragedy that would take one of them from us prematurely, I believe they'll be back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IML88 (Post 1184747)
... Their problem is these songs will look strange coming from a band of 70 year olds. I think that will force the retirement of the band more than anything...

Nah... they won't look any any stranger than we'll sound - singing along at the top of our lungs!! :D

nikos greece 01-17-2015 07:38 PM

richie imo deep down wants to come back in bj...thats why he wanted to come back during the tour as well, when jon decided he could do it without him...
richie as a personality wants someone beside him, at least it looks like this...when/if orianthi gets off the picture richie will need to come back, at the moment he feels nice with the current situation. if jon feels like they have sth more to say as a band he will put the wheels into motion for richie to come back, and i dont believe tico or david will have an opposite say ...
i hope jons next release isnt called bj though, because that would be serious blow to what theyu achieved as a band all these years...
i also hope richie gets his shit together cause his voice and playing have taken a serious downturn the last years.
if jons next record is a solo record then there will be hope imo. because it would prove they respect the band and havent moved on, bj cant exist without richie.

Elvistico 01-17-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1184723)

Isn't Jon the guy who always claims : no nostalgia, no come back tours, etc... If he sticks true to himself, he'll do no farewell tour. Interesting to see how he will tackle this when the money calls and when they can sell out arenas and stadiums again :) ( sell out in the bon jovi way - wembley : 40.000 tickets will be called a sell out)

Elvistico 01-17-2015 08:57 PM

Is it possible? Yes / Imaginable? Yes and No
So many band have gone before them. AC/DC original drummer returned after years of absence, Red Hot Chilli Peppers' original guitar player went away, came back and went again.

So it is most possible but it should be for the right reasons and it should come naturally. The guys know eachother as the back of their hands, they have each other's phone number, ... If both get back together with their guitars and start to share their musical ideas, then they get back on the horse in no time.

If it comes down to blocking time in the agenda for touring while in the months previous to touring Jon writes an album with his songwriter friends in order to have something to play live, then they really don't need to get back together i.m.o.

Wanted was written in Richie's parents house in the basement if i remember correctly. They don't need to go back to the basement but if they could get back to that spirit, only then i can see something interesting happen.

sidenote on the 'whose fault' and 'who should apologize to who' discussion : the best and largest companies in the world these days invest lots of money and energy in employee satisfaction cause they realize that motivated employees are THE strength of a company.

When Richie (one of your main employees) decides to leave the company on a working day, there must have been a huge issue in his employee satisfaction. Something tells me his boss and manager - Jon - should have seen that one coming and could have prevented it from happening if he had anticipated it. OK, this a strict business approach, but ain't that the way Jon sees Bon Jovi over the last 10 years?

TheseDaysEra 01-18-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvistico (Post 1184756)
Is it possible? Yes / Imaginable? Yes and No
So many band have gone before them. AC/DC original drummer returned after years of absence, Red Hot Chilli Peppers' original guitar player went away, came back and went again.

I'm afraid Frusciante isn't RHCP's original guitarist though ;)

TheseDaysEra 01-18-2015 12:27 AM

some good points put forth here by you guys. Btw, I should have started this thread on the General Discussion part of the board, my bad.

It's funny DryCounty mentioning the Behind the music quote. It's the one that pops on my head every time I think of BJ nowadays.
I guess Johnny has a point too: it's better they don't make an official statement. In way, it kinda feels like it's Jon's insurance against possible future contradictions. In a way, they both know it's possible.

Richie won't necessarily need the cash IMO: he could lay on his back for the rest of his life, he'll never go bankrupt, unless he invests in the wrong assets and whatnot, or gets seriously ripped off by his management. In fact, I don't think Ava herself needs to work a single day of her life to get by, or even her future kids. I don't think money would ever be the nature of a reunion, again, unless Sambo burns it relentlessly.

Jon, weather or not it's all Richie's fault (again I agree with you guys, it HAS to be a two way street... ) had to a VERY pretentious egomaniac prick, beyond unimaginable, to consider a world tour without Richie. Even he could still pull it off and sell it out just like any other BJ tour, I don't think his heart would be in it 100%. I don't think he can pull out the old 'they pay to see me shake my ass bla bla bla' bullshit anymore.

They're finally taking the break they needed after 2011. WAN had its great moments but it was rushed in many ways and kinda felt like a JBJ's effort (apart from songs like BWC or WAN) but even if they'd still released it, they should have done what they planned on doing after the release of Lost Highway: NOT TOUR AT ALL - that's what killed the band.

Here's hoping for the best guys.

JackieBlue 01-18-2015 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos greece (Post 1184752)
...richie as a personality wants someone beside him, at least it looks like this...

Some fans might revoke my Richie-girl card for saying it, but I think you are 100% correct. Except I'd say that Richie wants (needs) to be beside someone.

I love Richie's solo stuff. I love to hear him take the lead sometimes with the band. But IMO, the man was born to be a wing man - and there's absolutely no shame in that.

I appreciate the fact that he wants to express himself and say things he wants to say, without feeling limited to writing songs that Jon has to be able to give voice to. I see why he wants to sing some of the songs he and Jon co-wrote, but interpret them his way and give them his own spin. It's understandable to me that he wants to be recognized as an artist and singer/songwriter outside of Bon Jovi. Sidekicks are performers, too, with the same need for recognition that those who stand in the spotlight have. Given the way our society functions, it's difficult for any 'supporter' - band member, actor, admin assistant, crew member, whatever - to get a fair share of the credit for contributing to a performance or finished product. So I get the need to break away and be "the star" for a bit.

IMO, Richie has recorded some excellent solo music and has been known to handle the spotlight very well on his own. And I'd be willing to strike a bargain with Lucifer himself for the chance to attend a solo concert like the one he did at the NYC Academy in '91. But that doesn't alter the fact that what he does BEST is stand to the side, play 'second fiddle', and provide the harmonies that take Bon Jovi's music to a whole different level. That's an art, in and of itself, and it takes a special talent to do it well.

Slightly off-topic, but I knew a guy who was the power lead in one Southern gospel quartet after another his entire life and then one day decided he wanted to go solo. He was very good and even won some Dove awards right out of the gate. I enjoyed his solo work, because he's a phenomenal singer, no matter what he sings; but, man, when he got back with one of the quartets he'd sung with before, the difference in the quality of his performance was like night and day! And, in his case, there was even less transition between the roles, going from lead singer to solo artist. But he was just so much more comfortable, being part of a group, that it's like it freed him to really shine, simply because he was doing what he does best.

When they are both 'on', Jon is the best front man in the industry and Richie is as good as it gets for sidekicks. I've never seen two artists who complement each other as well as they do. And as far as I'm concerned, that's where Richie is in his element. That's where he shines.

( *blushing* Thank you for your indulgence. Apparently, this is something I've been needing to get off my chest for some time now, but never realized it! :rolleyes:

Long-ass rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...)

SadieLady 01-18-2015 02:07 AM

I think and hope that there will be another tour and Richie will be back. All Jon has to say is that Richie needed time for personal business and now he is back and committed to Bon Jovi and "we are happy to have him back." All Richie has to say is that as much as he loved the time apart to be with his daughter and do his own music, he is eager to get out there and do some kick-ass Bon Jovi shows. The speculation and drama doesn't have to follow them for the rest of their days.

Jon is very good at both answering and shutting down questions. He did it after the band got back together the first time, he did it after his daughter's OD and he did it most recently during the WAN tour when he was asked about Richie. He provides answers, down plays drama and encourages people to move forward.

rocknation 01-18-2015 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieLady (Post 1184762)
...The speculation and drama doesn't have to follow them for the rest of their days...

I think things will eventually work out for precisely that reason: I don't think anyone in the band wants things to end on such a "sour" note -- if you'll pardon the expression! ;)

Rdkopper 01-18-2015 03:36 PM

I think once Richie is done with his mid life crisis, he'll be back. First his girlfriend will dump him for a younger guy which will be a shot to his ego. Then his new solo music will dry up. I give it 5 years before him and Jon share a stage again in some way.

Bounce7800 01-19-2015 04:06 PM

Plenty of breakups much worse than this are healed over time. Unless someone dies in the meantime, if they want to be back they will put it behind them and get back together and this period will just be remembered as a gap like between KTF/NJ.

MWR 01-19-2015 06:40 PM

I think Richie would rather jam with fabric the rest of his life than to go back to rubbing Jon's balls again.

TheseDaysEra 01-20-2015 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWR (Post 1184783)
I think Richie would rather jam with fabric the rest of his life than to go back to rubbing Jon's balls again.

that's exactly the question I meant to address with this thread. lol

TheseDaysEra 01-20-2015 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1184782)
Plenty of breakups much worse than this are healed over time. Unless someone dies in the meantime, if they want to be back they will put it behind them and get back together and this period will just be remembered as a gap like between KTF/NJ.

the whole thing stinks of the NJ - KTF period indeed but just because it got sorted out then, doesn't mean it will now. Also, no laundry was done in public at the time, well not at this level though. But we must remember that social media wasn't really a thing back then, it's pretty hard to keep things from the public eye nowadays. we'll just have to wait and see. NJ came out in 88, KTF came out in 92 - that's a 4 year period in between albums but it's not like they didn't gig at all during those years. Far as I'm concerned, the NJ tour didn't end until 1990 and they played 'Blaze of Glory' together at the awards thing right ? And then in 92 they were touring.. whereas in this case, Richie missed almost an entire tour... again, it's just a lot different and a lot worse.

QUceK1WV8 01-20-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1184782)

This. Musicians are artists they have egos and there is often a lot LOT more ego involved than what their PR-people let them get out.

People are reading much too much to quotes as well. Show business quotes are nothing. They are heat of the moment blurps that absolutely do not stand the test of the kind of scrutiny they are put under by the fans. Shock and horror their are outright lies out there just to make a story. And here we are discussing tones in which some things were said and even the facial expressions. It is fun I admit but it is completely dishonest of us. They (JBJ and Richie are just examples) are not making well thought out statements for radio stations with the weight of some serious long consideration and heavy thought process behind them.

If they want to get back there is absolutely nothing stopping them. There is no need for any humble pies anywhere nor apologies. And there won't be any. Some fans would certainly like to see it but it will not take place.

The question is if there will be a time that they want to get back together in the future before they are too old and that is the only question. Time will tell.